Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loviatar

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

in the imp: smoky leather, and something vaguely sweet.

wet on skin: same.

dry down: leather and a hint of lime-infused men's cologne

in all: not a bad scent, but with so many swoon-worthy BPAL oils, it seems a shame to concern oneself with 'not bad'.

:P

This is a really weird one for me. I’m not getting the leather note at all. Instead, it smells like wood- maybe sandalwood- and myrrh, with a hint of patchouli. It starts out really dry but smooths out with wearing (like many scents with amber tend to do on me).

I went from loving it, to thinking “meh”, to loving it again, all in the space of a few hours.

Will definitely have to give it another try.

At first it's kind of nice, sort of a unisex, spicy biker cologne. And then...the amber powders out. And then it smells like plastic. And then...a vaguely spicy, very light scent. Sadly, not me :P.

In the Imp

Smells a bit cologney and leathery. I could actually care less what it smells like-- the concept is cool and I'm going out.

On Me

Wow: talk about a complimentary leather: it works on me. Seriously, it's warm, and it's sexy and it's... strong. It doesn't morph a great deal, either, but it stays there, and it's extremely cool-- it's tough and amazing and damn: I feel confident wearing this stuff. And it would have broken my heart if it didn't work (as Wanda failed to) because, hello-- excellent concept. Who DOESN'T want to smell like the Finnish goddess of sadism?

Also, I got a compliment on it. I think I really really need a bottle. :P

In the bottle I get musk. Wet it's all leather. Yum

Dry it's leather and musk and a tiny hint of amber. I keep sniffing my wrist wishing I was sniffing a guy. :P Maybe I'll wear it when I'm feeling alone. But a great scent.

In the Bottle

I can pick out the leather note, I also smell a lot of spice. It has a strong smell of a man's cologne, this is pretty potent stuff.

On My Skin

The spice smell immediately dies down and is replaced with a musky scent. To my nose this is very masculine and reminds me vaguely of the smell of leather couches in a den. I have no idea why but this also kinda reminds me of my dentist’s office. :P I seriously have no idea why.

After a Bit

A couple hours later the dentist office smell has thankfully gone away. Now it smells like a sweaty leather jacket, very interesting - leather with a hint of musk. I can see how this would make a gal feel powerful and in control like a Dominatrix. Too bad it takes so long to get to this stage.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Overall - 2.5

Throw - 3

Longevity - 2.5

There are only a handful of times I'd want to smell like this so I'll keep the imp but won't get a bottle.

Dear leather, please do not turn into tires on me, just this once. I love red musk...

Hmm. I get a lot of myrrh in Loviatar (yay!) and faintly sweet red musk...and a LOT of leather like I always do. The myrrh is balancing the leather out, though, and keeping it from being overpowering. Oooh! This is a nice blend and makes me want to try Krampus sometime.

I got this as a frimp, and oh boy, I'm so glad I did. I never would've chosen this on my own. I didn't even realize I had it until a friend and I were going through my imp stash. Neither of us recognized the name, so she hopped online to look up the description. When she finished reading it aloud, there was this moment of silence. "Maybe... Maybe I'll try that," I said, taking the imp.

In Bottle: Okay, in theory, this doesn’t sound like my kind of scent. All dark and... ewww. But in the imp, I’m intrigued. Musky, yes, but a slightly sweet undertone. The leather is here, but not in a scary overwhelming way.

Wet: Holy jesus, but I like this. Musky, still. The leather comes out, but again, not in a scary way. More like someone’s old leather jacket; worn, loved, comforting. A little masculine, but again, in a comforting way.

Dry: Stays pretty true to how it started out. The leather mellows out even more. This reminds me of curling up in an old leather armchair in front of a lovely warm fire with a good book. Warm, comforting and lovely. Uh, I don’t know what this says about my inner sub, but...:P

I'm in love with a good number of BPAL leathers, so I tried Loviatar as well.

This is not the same deliciousness in other scents. It's curious.

Imp: Sort of hard to smell, for me. Too much to pick things out. :P

Initial on skin: The myrrh is powerful. Tangy woody raw cut something. I don't like myrrh very much. It drowns out the leather. The amber is present and rounding out the blend, but adding a slightly powdered feel to the myrrh. The musk is just beginning to unravel. And my experience with musk is that it takes a while to truly bloom. I'm not happy with this stage, and contemplate trying to wash it off.

Later on skin: The myrrh does calm down, thankfully. But still more present than I'd prefer (I'll be avoiding it in the future). However, the leather sweetens up as the myrrh dies down. It's much more pleasant, and much more similar to other leather notes I've smelled before.

Overall: This blend fits the bill for Loviatar. It's powerful, good throw, and really in your face :D. It's neat, but not my thing.

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

On me, Loviatar is red musk and myrrh, with the leather and black amber somewhere in the back. It's nicer than I expected.

In the imp:Pepper.

On,wet:Pepper,leather and incense.This is a hot,spicy scent that's dead on sexy.

Later on:This doesn't change much on me,it's just a little more muted yet still quite spicy.

Verdict:It's a gorgeous scent that's sure to give you the kind of attention you crave for.I'm not sure I want a bottle.I shall try it again as my sinuses are a little messed up these days,but I'm pretty sure I'll use up my imp.

In bottle/imp: Dry, light leather and a touch of myrrh.

Immediately on skin: This smells very light to me. It’s leather, but not thick and overpowering. It’s slightly dry and warm with a very warm feel to it. I don’t really smell any other notes in this, just warm, sexy leather.

After a little while: This is still mostly leather, with a dry touch of amber and a little sweetness from the myrrh. It’s rich but dry, and a very sexy scent.

Overall Impressions: This is definitely unisex, edging into masculine, but women could really pull this off as well. This is a drier leather scent, but it’s not savory like I get from some of the lab’s mainly leather scents; it’s dry, worn leather with some warmth from the amber and just a hint of sweetness from the myrrh. I don’t get much red musk from this, but it’s still a nice scent. It’s very well blended and may be good for layering.

So this was on my list of things I was curious about, for the leather. I'm one of those people who stops outside the Wilson's at the mall to smell it as I go by. I've always thought leather should be a perfume. ^^ The red musk can't help but be good, the other things in it agree with me. I'm just scared it's going to scream "cologne!" when I open it.

It doesn't. I smell it a second time because I was seriously expecting it to knock me down.

I get leather and spicy right away, but once it's mostly dry the spiciness and whatever sharpness is in the leather passes.

After that it's just yummy. The leather mellows to a gentle suedey scent on me after about half an hour, then it all stays about the same after that.

It could be worn with something softer to make it more girly (I'm trying one wrist with The Lion), though that contradicts the Theme here ^^ But everything about it works for me as it is.

A happy surprise that should have been higher up on the testing list than it was!

Add another Bad Girl to my list of Yummies.

aha! this is the note ("hot leather") from hellfire that went funny on me. loviatar is bitter and unpleasant on my skin... the myrrh+leather combo is not a good one and red musk and i don't always get along.

Yup. Leather jacket, as others have said before me. The leather is very strong, the other notes add the 'lived in' smell - sweetness, cologne, and soap. Nice! I don't think I'm going to spring for a big bottle though...

In the vial: A sharp snap of something that smells like men's cologne (must be the leather?), followed by a stronger musky scent with the bitterness of myrrh.

Wet: Still very cologne-ish. I think this is going to go over to boy on me.

One hour: Yep, man's cologne. It's a little sharp and bitter for my taste, but dark, almost brooding, which would make it interesting to me if a man were to wear it.

Two hours: Leather-myrrh, dark and bitter, but with warmth beneath. Even though it comes off sharp at first sniff, it's remarkably sexy upon subsequent sniffs.

Three hours: Mostly leather. But the myrrh has fallen off a bit, enough that I can finally get a whiff of the amber. No longer so sexy, in fact, it smells kind of tired.

Five hours: Much more warmly resinous now, but still too sour from the leather.

A near-miss for my skin.

This was mostly leather on me, with a hint of red musk. As the dry down progressed, the myrrh came out more as did the amber. This was incredibly attention grabbing, and I must admit I was a little concerned about wearing it out of the house. This was a very hot blend. Normally I like my scents warm and comforting and there was absolutely NOTHING comforting about this. I think the blend was aptly named, as it seemed the scent was designed to test boundaries and cause discomfort. In a good way :P

Mmmm spicy, musky leather. I'm not sure whether the cologne feeling about it is real or if my nose it just putting it there because I saw it mentioned in the reviews.

Eesh, as Loviatar dries, it gets to be more cologne and less leather. Too masculine for me :P

I'd like to preface this by saying that this bottle came from eBay, and --I'm going to guess-- it's probably aged, since it's in a cobalt bottle. The liquid itself is this gorgeous, thick brownish red; goes very well with the scent description.

In the bottle: spicy, dry

on: sticky, some kind of woodspice, smoke/ash. At first cool, a feeling on the skin as well as a tickling of the nose when I sniff. At one point, it reminds me of the medicinal comfort of old herbal cough syrup, or maybe jaegermeister?

Later, it dries down in to a warm, sexy, herbal campfire.

I get no leather, much more spice and woodiness. Very rich and interesting fragrance.

Ah, Loviatar! At first, it's almost straight-up leather. Almost bright in its crispness, like the snap of a whip. :whip: There's something sweet at the edges and underlying it, but the scent doesn't fully round out until at least half an hour later, when it becomes sharp leather atop a bed of slightly spicy and lightly sweet red musk and soft, warm resins. There's lovely myrrh in here and I'm liking this black amber, it's not at all powdery. There's not much waft but this scent has some staying power. Simultaneously sharp and soft, and devilishly sexy. Mmmm. For kicks and giggles, my boyfriend's impression: wet on my skin it smelled like freshly sliced cucumbers (lolwut?), it dried down to "kind of sexy, actually" leather, and finally to really nice incense. This is a definite keeper, and I like it more and more every time I wear it.

Sweet amber and sensual red musk. The leather gives this scent a bite and although I'm not the greatest fan of leather notes, in Loviatar it is a lot friendlier to me than it usually is! This is quite a light masculine scent on me. It has very little throw but is beautiful close to the skin. It is quite vanilla-ish as other reviewers have mentioned. It's a very familiar scent - possibly as it bears such a similarity to a favorites of mine, Haunted and (when dry) Crowley - and it is soft and pleasant and quite 'homely'.

I don't quite get the whole 'Mistress of Torture' side of this scent, it's too calm and snuggly. It's the cuddle after all of *that* stuff if anything.

7/10 - I'll be keeping the imp and enjoying it but it's a pleasant sweet amber scent on me and where other similar scents have a lot of offer, this is fairly flat. It's got a long wear-length though, and stays true all day without warping into something weird!

In the imp, it smells a tad like men's cologne to me. Like leather and soap I suppose. When wet, it smells spicy. If I'm smelling what I think I'm smelling, it's leather, faint myrrh, and red musk. When it dries down I get cuddly, mildly spicy leather and a tad like awesome smelling soap. It seems more masculine or gender neutral to my nose. Overall, I really like it and should I remember, I intend to get a bottle when I place my next order.

In the imp, I'm getting sweet leather. I'm kind of impressed actually -- I actually like leather? WHAT? -- me being an ardent vegetarian and all... :blink:

Once it dries down, the sweetness fades a bit and I get lovely spicy leather with a touch of something that reminds me of cologne. I don't think it's really my thing, but this had definitely encouraged me to try all those blends I'd been eyeing but avoiding because f the leather note.

Yummers...amber and myrrh is such a winning combination for me (Inez what?) There's not very much that could interfere with my profound love for those two notes together. In Loviatar there is the addition of a strong leather note, which smells like the black leather chair my parents had in their living room for years. Plus, there's musk slinking around in there, too. I love this...I don't find it to be too masculine at all (this coming from the girl who lurves sandalwood above all else in the world). It's sexy and delish.