Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loviatar

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

In the imp, it was all wonderful aggressive leather. I loved Wanda and Perversion so I was bound to try this eventually. On my skin, though, it turned to all musk and myrrh. It actually reminded me quite a bit of Smut without the sweetness--sharp, pungent, and a little frightening. I had high hopes for this, but I don't think I'd be able to pull it off without being a 6'2", leather-clad dominatrix. Very very dark.

In the Imp: Pleather and amber. So basically warm, yet fake.

Wet: Pleather Rawr! To me this just isn't as nice a leather smell as I had hoped. Maybe my skin chemistry doesn't work with this leather boquet? It's just a little more plastic-y smelling than the dead cow wonderfulness of the Wilson's store at the mall.

Dry: Sadly the plastic smell still lingers even over thirty minutes later, more like pleather. The other three notes are either very much hidden by the plastic or so well blended that I can't tell them apart.

The blend does tend to get a sense of warmth the longer I wear it; not unlike skin that's been smacked red with a good leather covered paddle? oh yeah...

Throw: Pretty good throw. It might border on overpowering for the wearer, but not so much for anyone else nearby.

Overall: I really, really, really wanted this one to work on me. I need a good "your looking for a right smacked bottom" scent! *lol* Alas, the leather that BPAL uses, I suspect it doesn't like me much.

The plasticy leather note does eventually die off, but not for at least two hours. Afterwards it's all warm, musky and deep, but much lighter a scent then it started out to be. A bit of a redeeming value, but likely not enough to keep around.

Rating: -

Edited by Galatea

A frimp, and this is sooooo not me. I get the strongest leather you've ever smelled, and eventually a touch of spicy resin beneath. But it's mostly bitter, musky LEATHER, like someone dressed in it head to toe. My husband wanted to try it on, but I'm not sure I'll let him -- if it smells anything like it did on me, I'll just be picturing the big hairy guys in leather aprons from the sex club scene in Eurotrip. :P

In case you can't tell, leather ain't my thing -- but I know there are people for whom this would be a holy grail scent!

Loviatar - Initially, the first scent I note is myrrh. Then the dark, deep scent of black amber mixes with the myrrh to create an even darker, deeper, and almost frightening scent -- like a black shadow slinking around in the woods at night. As it starts to dry, another scent overshadows the opening notes, and it's the scent identified by the Lab as leather. However, to me, it doesn't smell like leather, but like the oils used to keep leather soft and supple. The scent stays fairly close to the skin and is too masculine for me. It's nice and deep, but it reminds me a bit too much of the tack room in my mom's barn, where she keeps her saddles, bits, straps, chaps, and leather oils. If it didn't have that connotation for me, I'd probably pass it on to my husband, but I don't want my husband's scent to remind me of my mom's barn tack room, either.

In the vial: myrrh and sandalwood. Mmmm.

Wet: dry woodsy and very masculine.

Dry: wow, I wasn't expecting this to be a manly scent! I must get DH to try this.

impsniff: leather -- but not the good kind. the hard, barely flexible (like for saddlebags and some purses and boots) kind, that always seems cheap to me

and dust, and something sortof stale

skinsniff, wet: myrrh. medicine. amber.

skinsniff, dry: myrrh, medicine, powder-dust and dirty saddlebags.

probably yummy on the right person, but not for me.

No leather, just the dreadful wrongness that is red musk on me. This smells sort of flat and mushy - no I don't know how to describe it properly, but something just hates me in Loviator.

Sweet, dark musk, with a hint of leather.

Lovely, warm cozy scent for me. Like sitting in leather chair by the fireplace. Very nice. :P

Being crazy about Finland and anything Finnish, I was naturally attracted by Loviatar, it was one of the very first Bpal I've ever tried...

In the bottle: leather... comforting leather... sensual leather.

On my skin: still leather with something else... maybe musk. It's terribly sensual... sexy, even.

For any reason, it also makes me think of an old library... I don't really know why.

After a couple of hours: it lasts very long... it doesn't seem to fade away even after I've taken a shower. It's still mostly leather with maybe some amber (I never recognize it very well).

Verdict: you GOTTA have it! My first 5 ml ever :P

An imp of this first introduced me to the warm sexiness of a BPAL leather fragrance. At this point I had tried Black Tower and Highwayman, but the other notes--especially the vetiver in Highwayman--had hidden that note completely. I didn't think I'd like it; I'd smelled leather fragrances in candles and other fragrances before, and they weren't anything I'd ever want to smell like.

Then I tried Loviatar, and I saw the light--err, dark. These were the perfect amber and musk notes for my chemistry, and the result was a little mysterious, very dark, and very intriguing. And it only got better--this one lasts for hours, warming into a scent that remains one of my favorites in the general catalogue. I want a bottle of this one!

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I chose this for my first imp pack, but it is definitely not me! It's too smoky, leathery and bad-ass. I'm more into pretty orientals and florals mixed with fruit, and this scent is the opposite of everything I usually wear! It makes me think of biker bars. NOT ME!

The first time I tried Loviatar, I hated it and washed it off right away. It was all red musk and I was so disappointed. A few months later, I was pawing through my swap box and decided to give it another shot. I still didn't like it at first sniff, all that stinky red musk, but then...whoa. Goodbye, Stinkville, hell-o, Sexytown! I ordered a bottle immediately. It's always the same when I haven't worn it for a while, though. I take off the cap and sniff and I'm like, "Ugh, why did I think this smelled good? It smells like red musk and raw leather." Then I remember how good the leather in Spanked smells on me. I dab. I dab a little more. I slather. I wait. After a few minutes, I go from reeking of red musk to smelling like someone who just had the hottest, dirtiest sex and then took a shower--the sex smell is still there, but it's more of a very strong suggestion than an obvious fact. And it lasts quite a while, gradually (after several hours) quieting down to a soft, deep musk-myrrh blend that I have to sniff up close to smell.

I think I've figured out what happens, too. The leather and myrrh double-team the red musk, doing a sort of sexy good-cop/bad-cop routine. The leather whips it into submission while the myrrh sweet-talks it in a husky whisper. "Come on, baby, just behave and then mean ol' Leather won't have to be so hard on you." The amber is there, but it's just sitting in the corner. It likes to watch, I guess. :P

All I get from this is leather. Very sexy leather. I don't smell any of the other notes mentioned in the description, but I'm not sure I'd want to. I like the sinful purity of scent.

I had a chance to try this in passing without knowing the notes, and what I got from it was not so much leather as sweet pipe tobacco, the headache inducing kind. The yucky kind. Like Herr Drosselmeyer!

I would try this again just to break it down more, but I am not actively seeking any out, no way.

In the vial: Hmm, deep and musky.

Wet: Still predominantely musk, but tempered by the other notes. Much darker than the other red musk blends I've tried.

Dry: This scent has some throw, even hours later. The leather is coming out now, but mixing with the other scents to make something that almost, but not quite, smells like deep tobacco

Whoa, leather mania. A very heavy leather note with a spicy, cinnamon-y, red undertone. This reminds me so much of my horse showing days, clean leather over cinnamon candy. I'm definitely not into wearing leather scents, but the hubbie loves this imp and hijacked it from me immediately. It has a happy home in his imp box. :P

wow... LEATHER LEATHER AND LEATHER! Smells just like DeSade and this almost made me wash it off immediately. but, I stuck it out. Sadly it smells like engine oil, or some other heavy dirty oily smell... emphasis on the dirty.

off it goes!

At first the leather was so sharp, that I really didn't know what to make of it. :P But very quickly the amber starts to melt through - sweetening the leather, refining it, smoothing it, taming it just a bit. It has great lasting power. I absolutely love the way this dries down. :D

Loviatar is sexy yummy delicious. :D

Loviatar-

In Bottle: Mmm, that smells good--woody and rich without being too sweet.

Wet: I smell the leather--not overpowering as it was in De Sade, which is good for me. A hint of wood.

Dry: This took a good amount of time--maybe an hour and a half--before this dried down to something I liked, but like it I do. At first it was a little burnt-leathery-smelling, but it's powdery and lovely now, though it's a bit of a long time for me to wait.

Overall: Conditional, yes, but I do like.

In the bottle: Leather. Holy carp.

Wet: Leather with a little bit more sharpness.

Drydown: Still leather?

While wearing: Yup, leather. This was a frimp (I wouldn't have ordered it for myself anyway), so I'm not too disappointed. I didn't expect it to be "me" anyway. :P

Loviatar

In the imp: a sexy, wonderful combination of leather and sweet red musk.

Wet on skin: sweet amber-leather with musk.

Dry: holy crap this is so good. This is such a sexy scent. The leather is wonderful as usual, the musk is seductive and warm, and a little bit feral in here. The amber and myrrh add their dark resinous sweetness to it all, rounding off the blend, and I think the myrrh even adds a little smokiness to it all as well.

After a while: eventually the warm leather becomes much more dominant, the red musk does die down a touch without disappearing, and I can smell the myrrh at the very back. It seems this myrrh isn’t the sticky, dark kind, it could be the light, dry, more burnt variety but it works so well in here and latches on to the leather so it doesn’t smell burnt at all, just smoky. However, I think hormones may be screwing up because last time I tried it, the musk and amber came out a lot more upon drydown. Today I’m getting an almost De Sade/Spanked effect…loads of leather.

HOWEVER wait a few hours and then the ambery drydown I loved so much has indeed come-only later than expected. It's a perfect balance of rich amber and leather with musk binding the two notes together.

Verdict: I remember trying this at the Meet n’ Sniff and loving it. Back then, it was a very equal balance of all the notes with more musk and amber around the leather at the end. I thought that I would need a bottle straight away! I tried it again for reviewing, and though at the start it has a fantastic feral red musk note to it, the drydown is a lot more leathery than I expected. It’s nice, a smoky leather with a hint of sweetness, but it lacks the wonderful musky amber I got last time, it’s almost all leather. The wonderful amber-leather-musk drydown does eventually come, but it takes longer than expected. This could be hormonal though. I still like this oil a great deal-especially after a few hours when it is delicious-but I’m not sure if it’s my absolute favourite of the leather scents (Dee and Bow and Crown hold that position) so I’ll try this again and see.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I’ll definitely keep the imp, and think about a bottle after a second try.

If you like this, try: De Sade, Doc Constantine, Whip, Wanda, Bow and Crown of Conquest, Lust

Edited by yeahbutnobut

This is one of the few red musk scents to work on me. The musk is sex-in-a-bottle, the myrrh adds darkness, the leather is sweet and rough, and the rose doesn't go musty on me. This is really more of an outright seduction scent than I'm ever in the mood to wear, but if I get an imp of my own, I might keep it for a costume.

I've always loved the smell of leather, but we'll have to see how true the note is. In general, I hope my skin likes this, because... holy gods, this could be my scent! :B

In the vial - Myrrh and musk, dark and very faint.

Wet - ...hospital bandaides? Eh?

Drying - The amber is what's giving me that clarifying, bandaid sort of scent. Sigh. I'm not getting any leather here at all. The bitter myrrh and the musks are there, though. Giving it some time before making a judgement.

Dry (30 minutes) - The leather just doesn't smell real to my nose. On the whole, it just smells artificial to me. Bah.

Overall - Well, I don't hate it, but it's too fake smelling for me. I just don't enjoy it, unfortunately. Ah, well...

Well now this is interesting. Loviator is mega-leather on me, but not quite the leather that I love to sniff at a Wilsons. It was leather with a twist, but I'm not really sure what other notes I was detecting. I don't think I would wear it regularly myself, but I bet I would adore this on a man!