Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loviatar

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

I'm with the people who mention 'band-aid' and 'artificial' in conjunction with this scent. I wish I knew what made perfumes smell like band-aids, because I'd avoid it forever. De Sade is a gentler (though more simplistic) leather, Doc C. has a more natural leather smell... I'm not sure what it is about this one.

ETA: lab description.

Edited by ND¢

I've never reviewed this!? Horrors! Loviatar is one of my favorite scents and probably the one BPAL that has completely thrown me and made into the devoted fanatic that I am today. So here, in honor of finally acquiring a bottle, is my review.

I'm a vegetarian and I try my darndest to avoid leather and other animal goods but damn if I don't love the smell of leather....particularly Beth's leather blend. Fortunately for me, it is cleverly manufactured so there is no guilt. I tried Loviatar originally because a) leather and b ) someone referred to it as being a dominatrix scent. Awesome! I thought it would be a bit dark but it was perfect. Deep and full bodied myrrh and musk with a sharp hint of leather. And it smelled delicious on too. It just melts right into my skin and takes up residence like it's meant to be there. I've read a lot of reviews where people call it masculine, and I can totally see that, but on me it's very feminine although I can't really tell you why. I think it's just because it makes me feel sexy.

It has fantastic throw and lasts nearly all day. I can still pick up faint whiffs on my wrists by the end of a long workday and that is saying a lot!

I'm thoroughly delighted to finally have a bottle so that I can indulge in full body slathering!! Yay! :P

Edited by Jessie

In the Vial: Mmm, full of leathery goodness. All BPAL scents are designed to be evocative, but this is a perfect example of that. This smells like a dominatrix, absolutely.

Wet: Leather is still the strongest scent, though the amber and musk comes through a bit more now. I don't really know what myrrh smells like, so I can't pick that note out specifically, but the combination is great.

Drydown: The amber starts coming more to the forefront, though the leather is still a warm, wonderfully sexy addition when combined with the musk. It's also not as strong as it was initially, which on me is great.

Dry: Warm and wicked, the scents balance out nicely once it's dry. I'm making a mental note that red musk is one of the musks I really like, an the amber is lovely without being soapy at all.

Overall Impression: A wickedly sexy and unrepentent scent, this is definitely not for the weak of heart. It's probably not a scent I'll wear every day, it may be a little too intense for me, but I will definitely finish the vial and consider buying a bottle.

Um...sex?

Wait, lemme think. This is my first leather scent from BPAL...

Sex and leather? Only, not like leather coat store leather...naughtier than that. In a very good way. A little bit of wood, musk, and a teeny bit of amber.

I think this has the strongest throw of all the oils I've tried so far! I keep getting alluring whiffs from my arm.

I don't get to see the boy often enough that I think I need a bottle right now, but someday I will have one! <3

This doesn't smell like leather to me at all, nor does it smell like what I'd imagine a dominatrix would wear. It just smells like Zest soap to me (but I may have issues with BPAL myrrh, which has always reminded me of soap -or my skin causes to smell like soap anyway).

Off to the swaps with you!

Edited by talula_fairie

From the wet stage all the way through the drydown, I get almost pure leather from Loviatar. Loviatar is a little sweeter and deeper than De Sade, but otherwise they're both the same clean, fresh leather scent on me. The other notes come out to play a little toward the end, but they stay nicely in the background.

Overall Loviatar is a sexy, saucy, leather scent that stays clean and crisp. It's not oiled leather or tanned hides, but the sweet leather of a supple jacket or corset mixed with the warm spiciness of the person in the leather. Rawr!

i love leather and i LOVE red musk, but they don't go together very well on me. the red musk turns sweet and cloying, which has never happened before. it does the same thing on my husband, on whom leather scents usually smell fantastic. i guess i'll stick with my favorite leather (doc constantine!) and red musk (mme. moriarty!) scents from now on. this scent is ok, i don't hate it or anything...these particular notes just work better separately, for me.

I am on the fence about this one......

Some days I absolutely love that dark, overwhelming leather and myrrh, and some days it is way too much for me. Must be my body chemistry playing games. But on the days that I like it is is very rich and complex and I can appreciate all the musk and myrrh whirling around the leather. This is a grab for attention plea that I wear when I need a boost.

On the other hand....smelling mainly of leather (which is what often happens to this one when it dries down on my skin) is a little too masculine for me. I think Whip is more to my taste (in the leather variety) but I'll keep this one around b/c my boyfriend likes it alot.

Wow this is pure leather, it reminds me of the leather note in Jolly Roger. On my skin at first, it's pure leather with a hint of spice....the leather is a little bit plasticky though. It's very sensual, with a sweetness from the amber and spiciness from the myrrh, but this would smell better on a man.

This is probably my FAVORITE scent of all time - BPAL or otherwise! Sadly, I still haven't even purchased a bottle for myself, I keep relying on Imps to get me through. :P

This blend of leather, amber, musk, & myrrh (all happen to be favorites of mine!) is the perfect fragrance for me & has become my signature scent. It takes the tiniest dab behind my ears & between my cleavage to get compliments all day long! I also mix it with my plain unscented Cetaphil body cream & slather after a shower. This seems to soften it a bit & the leather really comes through with a very clean smell. Every time I wear it this way my hubby snuggles up to me & buries his face in my hair & neck...he loves it! This also works great for layering the fragrance!

It smells like the inside of a leather jacket a man has just taken off. It smells warm and comforting, I like it but I don’t think I need a bottle of it.

In bottle: pinky brown, medium thick. Sweet and perfume-y

Wet: not sweet at all – leather and something dry and whatever note it is that makes me taste salt (myrrh?). It smells a bit like a burning log that has been doused with a bucket of water. Only dry.

Dry: Now the amber and the musk come out to play and things balance out a bit. But something is really getting my sinuses.

Ok, rinsing seems to have helped. Maybe I won’t have to swap it.

Later: The myrrh has gone and left a softer leather, sweetened and mellowed by the amber and musk (much more like my leather coat). 13 hours in and it’s still there.

Summary: I love the old, dry version of it, but new it’s a bit much. Will try again before deciding.

I got this as a frimp in a swap which I was much appreciative of since it was one I was curious about but had never been game enough to buy. One because although I've discovered I like a bit of leather I felt this might be too much, and secondly because well, amber. It tends to go to powder on me. However it doesn't in Sin or Fenris Wolf which are both darker deeper scents as well so hopefully it will behave on me in this one too.

In the imp: leather, musk, something sweet

Wet: leather and red musk. Oh my...

Drydown: The leather quickly starts to dominate as it does tend to do on me, for a while at least. I don't mind.

5 mins later: Mmmm... sweet leather. I can't smell the musk at all now and although I love red musk I don't actually care right now. Amber, please don't turn this to powder!

This would be downright dirty sexy on the right guy.

Dry: Red musk. Oh sweet Lord. I do love red musk and here it's mingling with the leather perfectly. There's still quite a sweet note, plus a bit of resin. Guess that's the amber which so far is behaving itself. The myrrh has yet to appear but it can take quite a while to come out on my skin. It's got quite a bit of throw this has!

1 hour: Pretty much the same, although the leather is softer and more muted, and the musk is drifting in and out along with just the tiniest bit of myrrh. The amber is threatening to turn powdery but hasn't as yet.

2 hours: Soft, muted sweet leather with a little muskiness and almost but not quite powder. Still has quite a bit of throw surprisingly, seeing it's softened so much on my skin.

Needless to say this is a keeper. I don't know if it will be a bottle as I'm not sure how often I'd actually wear it, but it's definitely a possibility.

In the bottle: SHARP. BITING. OW. NOSE. Oh well, we bought it, best take the plunge. I am, however, seriously afraid this is going to send me right back to the shower I just got out of.

Wet on the skin: Oooooh no. This is downright acrid. But it starts to mellow. Someone described it as the fading sting of the lash, and it is sort of way that. Now it's just sort of musky, in a feminine sort of way. Not like Iago -- who, aged properly to take the edge off, is a great unisex scent. The leather's there, still -- sort of like leathersex, after the fact. Slick and musky and you can still smell what got you going, even though it'sprobably somewhere on the floor now.

Fading: Even after about an hour on my skin, this is still very sharp -- very aggressive. It smells GOOD, but just-- doesn't suit me; I'm aggressive enough in personality; if my scent's added in, then it just goes into overdrive. Just not something for me, I guess! This is definitely going into swaps. :P Ah well, I was really hoping it would be more like the aged Iago I've got. No such luck!

A frimp in a swap I did....

In the imp sharp leather, myrrh and violet.

On wet....the leather is the main note, but the myrrh and the violet are also sharply present. I'm almost headachy with the "wet" stage.

On dry down....Oh, THANK you AMBER!!! My best friend amber has now come to play and turned this into a glowing warm, leather scent with a pale floral background.

Verdict....I like! Not one I need a bottle of, but I definitly see potential for using up the imp!

I'm surprised at myself for not reviewing this!

Loviatar loves my skin and my skin loves her back, hard. Think dominatrix being given incense offerings, less sharp than Whip and more feminine and mysterious than De Sade, this scent is perfect in my mind. And it certainly makes me feel more powerful wearing it.

In imp: HOLY wow, this one is HOT. Def one to wear whilst writing girl-on-top smut! Holy wow, zomgz. Could never wear it to work with a straight face, that's how sexually-charged this is!

Wet, on skin: oh god, it's leather and dripping sex. It's too good to be allowed.

Drydown: the leather and musk keep strength enough to make unworthy boys beg for it. This is divine, in the wickedest way possible.

Dry: she's still cracking the whip, I'm her slaaave - hee!

Loviatar absolutely nails the commanding aspects, and has superior throw and staying power -- as I would have expected! I'm not totally sold on this blend after my first test, though. I get that salty thing early on, which is a little confusing, as theoretically I wouldn't have sweated into the leather yet... and to veer quickly away from TMI territory, perhaps it's the musk that gives this such a strong men's-cologne vibe later in the drydown, which was something I wasn't necessarily looking for here. I do also get a bit of the powdery note from the myrrh, but not excessively.

That said, I really like the way the leather plays with the amber. I'm going to try aging this a bit to see what goes on.

What to say....I like it but not enough for a bottle. I can smell hot leather and amber, but it's not something I would wear. I like just a tad bit of floral in my scents.

mmm...I had Veil on my left wrist and Loviatar on my right... I feel as if I have an angel on one shoulder telling me to be a good girl and a devil on the other telling me to be bad! lol Anyways, as has been stated before - Loviatar is HOT! Very sexual in nature and strong - in throw, longevity, and concept. I am thinking that this would be more of a sexy evening scent - one for when you're feeling frisky and dominant. The leather is just below the surface of the red musk and I don't get any amber...at least not the single note of it. This scent is blended superbly - I am moving to Arizona so I need to see how this scent is in the Arizona heat. Hopefully it won't be too strong and I'll be able to get a bottle of it this summer - otherwise I'll have to wait for some cooler weather to get a bottle. But this is definitely on my list of Bottled NEEDS.

I need a while for this to grow on me. Usually I like my scents with a delicate sweetness or soft, sensuality running through but this is very UNCOMPRIMISING!

It is sharp, violent and angry. In fact it smells vaguely like sandalwood which smells oh so masculine and strong on me so my first impression as I tried it on (not knowing what it was) was, "one for the boyfriend." However, it is beginning to get a bit incensy now I have had it on for 3 hours, it's still strong though! That means the wear on me is very long-lasting.

This isn't firey like cinammon but dark and painful. It makes me feel protected.

I am obviously not a Mistress of Torment. The smell is overpowering, enough to make me nauseated. There's got to be patchouli in this somewhere. It definitely does smell like a Dark Goddess. Defintely NOT for me! It did smell rather exciting in the bottle, though.

I have to add in some more. I tried this on my hubby, too. It smelled like the historical re-enactment I went to last year - smoke and leather and outdoorsy maleness. It was quite evocative. But it didn't really smell like my hubby or our style of love. Nice, but not really him.

Edited by JennyGardener

Aaahhh, this is so going to be upgraded to 5ml. As soon as possible.

In the vial, Loviatar doesn't have much of a scent at all. O_o It sort of smells like Miskatonic University to me, which might be because it's sitting right next to my MiskU imp. I really don't get anything here except for a reeeeally faint hint of... rose?! Strange.

Wet on my skin - ahh, say hello to the leather! Definitely very leather-y, but not that in-your-face leather I got from DeSade (which is awesome as well, but way too masculine for me) but a really sexy, sort of feminine leather scent with a very present musky background note. It seems to be the same leather note as the one in Wanda, just not as strong and much nicer (Wanda was way too leather-y for me. And smelled like soy sauce, well, there we go).

The ominous rose scent seems to have disappeared - all I get is warm, sexy leather -, but I'm pretty sure that there is something else besides the leather present and just very, very well blended with the other notes. Might be the myrrh, since I really can't smell anything amber-y at all.

During and after the drydown, it doesn't actually morph anymore and stays a very sexy and warm leather scent.

I'm definitely going to buy more of this. Bloody hell - this time, I don't want to eat my wrist, I want to screw it. :P

Loviatar is pure sex. Good, hard sex in a bottle. Hrrr. While it's very feminine on me, I'm sure that it would be awesome on a guy as well. And I'm going to test that on my boy! And then... ehm, tmi.

Edited by Irukandji

With BOTH amber and myrrh, the leather and musk never stood a chance (and god how I'd love a musky leather slap).

With a double whammy of resins, Loviatar's brief sexy whiff turned to foul doom-powder before it even dried. :D

Get it off! Get it off! Get it off! Grrrrrrr resinssss we hatessssss... :P

Mmm, leather and myrrh. It's sexy, but it doesn't grab me the way Succubus or Perversion do. Muted and a bit naughty, it quiets down to something softly spicy after a few minutes. I like it, but I'm definitely not in love.