Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A barrel of beer, a pyramid of cakes, and three sticks of incense.

Wet: Sweet, almost peanutty. A tinge of sourness cutting through the cakes. Not smelling the incense much.

Dry: Incense, cake and beer, it's all there but nothing is overpowering the other two. Fantastically blended and not overly foody. Sweet, musky, with a hint of something....extra. I will be getting backup bottles of this! Yum!

Lasting Power: Light/Medium.
Throw: Light

Inside the bottle, sweetened incense and cake.

On my skin, this is much like it is in the bottle, but a bit less sweet. And this is not really foody on skin, despite there being a cake note.

Not a lot of throw on my skin and fades a bit quickly on me.

Edited by angelicruin

In the bottle, Feeding The Dead smells a lot like Cockaigne. That sweet cakey booziness. Once it goes on, it gets sharp and fermented really fast, but dries down to become very, very sweet and foody. It smells a lot like the honey and spice syrup that is poured over baklava. That lasts for about 5 or 10 minutes and then the fermentation gets much stronger and sharpens up the scent. Shortly after that, the incense notes appear, and they remind me a lot of the incense notes in past Halloweenies like All Soul's. Pretty! A couple of hours into wearing this, I found that the sweetness and booze had worn off and what I was left with was sweet incense, which is fine with me. My skin does tend to eat sweet scents like a fiend, so my experience with this scent might be different than yours. I found the throw to be relatively strong at first, and then it mellows out a great deal -- this might be a scent that needs a bit of re-application as the day goes on. However, I think it is worth it, especially if you're a fan of those food-and-incense fragrances. I also suspect that this might age nicely and become mellower, smoother and more intense with a bit of time.

I had to check the imp after I applied; I thought maybe that I was smelling Heusos de Santos...but, no...

No orange, no anise, but, the feel of this is remarkably similar to Huesos de Santos from last year.

Sniffing carefully, I think I can find the beer. The cake I DEFINITELY smell. The incense is somewhere in the background.

Drying, this isn't quite as close to Huesos as I had thought. There's more beer(my skin loves alcohol, usually), but, hopefully the cake will stick around.

Well, it is fading fast on me. Unfortunately that leaves me undecided as to whether the imp will be enough. I didn't really fall in love with Huesos de Santos till after it left. Hm.

I put this on at the lab, and I kept sniffing this going...........this is really nice.....but I can barely smell it. I think that this is one of those ones that needs to get thrown back in back of under my sink along with Egg Nogg Latte to let it age.

It's really nice though....... I think I might have to spring for a bottle of it, this has so much promise aged!

In the imp it's an interesting scent to be sure. Slightly foody with a hint of alcohol and a smokey incensy background.

Wet yuck! Bitter, funky stale food and cleaning supplies! A weird plastic type thing. Man my skin chemistry just completely butchers this scent!

Hmm...I have to agree with the person who mentioned the feel of Huesos de Santos--some combination of the cake + incense, perhaps. But no orange here, though perhaps some extra nuttiness. It's very foody and quite interesting, but I already have a bottle of Huesos, which I slightly prefer.

Throw is strong at first, but fades fast on me.

When I first put this on, I got the sweet cake note...yum!......but as it dried, the beer came into play, overpowering the cake. I don't get much incense with this; maybe just a touch. Interested to see how it ages.

In the bottle and wet, this smelled like sweet cake full of toasted nuts. The toasty-nutty scent was really prominent for me. The nuttiness seems to wear off as it dries, and I was left with a sweet, incense-y type scent. Really nice. It did remind me a bit of Samhain 2009 in the dry stage.

In the bottle: Resiney cake!! Soooooo nice!

Immediately on the skin: This blend turns into buttered popcorn. Strange. If I take my nose away from my wrist and just let the scent waft, I get more of the yummy resiney cake smell.

Drying: Popcorn goes away!! Whoooo! Again, it is resiney/incensey cake. Sooooo good!

Edited by Shollin

Wet on my skin, this is very much a sweet cornbread scent. It's very different. I don't get any of the beer yet, and I'm waiting for the incense...

Later, this unfortunately developed the same odd sharp scent that Snow White does on me. I wish I knew what note it was that did that so I could avoid it. And there's a little incense now, but if I sniff too closely, sharpness. :(

Edited by penemuel

A few people mentioned this having a vaguely "nutty" scent, and I agree with that. A touch of that sort of... tangy earthy (I know that's a weird phrase but it's the only way I can think to describe it!) hops smell. A touch of sweet incense. Slightly resinous, only the tiniest bit sweet, with a nutty vibe. Unusual!

Feeding The Dead - This opens up with a definite warm, foody cake and yeasty beer scent. It's kind of nice, but kind of weird. And then it dries down into the most gorgeous, warm, dry incense scent. I keep catching wafts of it and I'm truly in love. I would also love for my man to smell like this. I can't even begin to put into words how surprised I am by this one and how much I love it. :wub2:

Whew! This is a sweet, nutty cake scent on my skin. I think it's the "barrel of beer" that's creating that nuttiness on my skin. The cake note is very "bready" (:lol: I don't think that's a word). The cake is sweet, just more on the dense, bread side. As it dries down I'm getting a bit of cinnamon and incense....just the teeeeniest bit of incense.

Very interesting scent! This is definitely in the "foody" range and while I do like a lot of food-smelling blends I don't think this one is for me :/

Preconceived notion: "This'll be an All Souls redux"

In the vial: Soft sweet, cakey, a bit of incense. Same sweetness as All Souls.

On my skin: Yeah, just what I thought...... wait....... it's softer, more ethereal. Not quite as sweet. Something fruity, like the beer is apricot ale. At the center of this scent is the incense - light lingering incense. The fruit/ale is like an aura, glowing from within.

Dry, the fruit & incense are indistinguishable. It's not nearly as cakey as I thought it would be; the cake just provides sweetness. The waft is beautiful. Not your traditional incense scent. And to think I almost didn't get a decant of this. Now I need a bottle :wub2:

Edited by surlygurl

This smells pretty in the bottle, but not really exceptional. Sweet, with something else. Once it's applied, though, hello! Imagine the cake note from Huesos de Santo layered on top of Morocco, and you've got Feeding the Dead. Gourmand without really being foody, and simply fabulous. I think this is a multiple bottle scent. It's this good now and it can only improve with age.

I seem to be following Ahania around and reviewing Weenies after her! Which makes sense, since I got my decants from her :)

Ahem. On to the review.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this at all. I like hops in scents (I'm thinking of roadhouse) and I love incense. Cakes are good too. So had to try it.

I really like it. It reminds me of Haloa--ie a slightly sour scent (the beer) with cake! But the incense is also a player in this, and it is a soft but pervasive note, like the ash left incense, rather than incense burning. The sourness fades quickly and I'm just left with a hint of booze and cake and incense, mostly the latter.

I really like it a lot, but it is very light with little throw at all. It does seem to last....I put some on around 2 am last night and at 10 am I could still faintly smell it. But very faint. It sticks close to the body. If I decide to get more--and I may--I'll really have to slather, which I don't usually do, because I like my scents to have more throw than this.

Okay, in the decant and on me, I get a BLAST of milk. But it can't be milk, because it's not doing the nasty thing milk does on my skin - how odd! Can't decide if this is the beer or the cakes or the meeting of the two.

I very light foody scent. Not that it fades quickly (only had it on for a mo) but not a GRAAAAAAR FOODY kind of scent. The type that sticks to your clothes after you've been in a kitchen for twenty minutes.

Reminds me of that cinema scent - popcorn, carpets, anticipation, air-con, darkness. A very nice scent, but I think I'll be happy with my lil' decant.

Who the hell knew beer, cake and incense would do so well on my skin? :blink: This is just lovely. Slightly sweet, with hints of gorgeous incense. The Hops/beer actually keeps this from becoming too sweet and foody. Finally a cake scent I can wear. I think I may need a bottle of this.

This is first and foremost hot white sugary vanilla cake straight form the oven, toasty and very sweet. There's a touch of hops or tonka, dusty. Slightly boozy when wet, lends a little dryness to the overall feel, it's faintly like fermented white grape, it's something light but dusky. This is just like the cake element in Eat Me. Overall very pretty, the foodiness dies down a bit as it dries, making it a little drier in all. There's a bit of a buttery and nutty aspect on the dry down too, making this smell like an exquisite pastery.

While that description sounds GREAT, Feeding the Dead on me actually goes:

Caramel popcorn --> buttery popcorn --> caramel and incense.

It smells fantastic, and I would snap up a bottle superfast if it didn't fade like whoa.

Edited by Shollin

Had to let this one sit for a while before reviewing it 'cuase it diddn't smell right.

In the bottle: smells like very salty dough. I mean all I can smell is salt.

On me I still get the salty scent but if I sniff really hard I get an undertone similar to cockaigne. What I percieve as salty might me the incence. I just doesn't seem quite right on me. Maybe this is one that has to age before I can wear it.