Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Against Idleness and Mischief

Pollen-dusted honey, diligent tonka, steadfast chamomile, and goodly hyssop.

Honey blends usually tend to work well on me. That being said I classify the honeys in many different types: the warm comforting honey, the clean bright honey, the green fresh honey, the sticky sweet honey....This is more of a green fresh honey. On first sniff, I get mostly honey with a tang of something almost medicinal lurking in the background. On application (oops spilled imp all over myself, guess I'm going to get to know this blend REALLY well) the more medicinal smell (the hyssop?) is a bit more to the fore but the honey still dominant. It does not move much after that... a lovely innocent honey with a faint hint of something almost like sassafras (think root beer) behind it. My favorite going-to-visit grandma scent.

Original Review -

Wet: Honey and spice.

Drydown/Dry: A clean, but sweet honey note. Gentle and soft. Fluffy, ivory-hued clouds of honey. Heavenly.

Aged 9 yrs Review -

Wet: Sweet, creamy, and pale with wafts of light honey and soft marshmallow-like fluffiness.

Drydown: Pillowy and comforting with an airy sweetness to it. The honey matures into a dustier, waxier version of itself and something herbal enters.

Dry: Powdery, golden, and feather-soft. Like a sweet and airy whisper.

8 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Purchased from chromeoxide!

In bottle: Soapy jasmine? Must be chamomile, but I'm getting a slight sharpness from this.

On skin: Warms to a powdery, creamy version of the aforementioned note, sharpness disappears

Drydown: Powdered milk and honey. This is a honeycomb.

Verdict: My skin must amp honey something fierce, because almost everything else drowned out. I do like honey but I was hoping for more variety. I may have to try this one again to determine if the honey thing is a monthly issue or what...

In Vitro Tested blind; the oil was pale yellow in the imp. It smelled sharp and sweet with unidentified spice.

Wet Straight away this was a lovely warm and spicy scent. It only got deeper and better in the next few minutes and I couldn't stop huffing my wrist.

Drying Less strong but still very good; sweet and a bit spicy. Twenty minutes after application this was a comforting warm blend, and over the next three hours it remained that way as it slowly faded.

I was mildly surprised at the reveal because AIaM was my second guess after Sudha Segara. When I put some on the other wrist I identified what could be herby-spicy honey. This was a wonderful discovery - given the way my skin tends to amp anything sweet, I would not have guessed that honey could play nice on me. And even though it didn't immediately strike me as a signature scent, Against Idleness and Mischief deserves more wear for its longevity alone. There may be a bottle of this in my future.

In Imp: A light floral with a bit of sharpness over a base of honey. The oil is a pale, pale yellow.

Wet: Very sweet and simple, the honey and tonka take over and the flowers act as a sort of spice to the sweetness.

Drydown: It is very sweet and innocent. After a few hours in congeals into one sweet scent.

Buy again? An imp, maybe.

Reminds me of honey, spring, youthful brightness.

Overall: It is a nice scent appropriate for all ages. Idleness and Mischief would probably be one of the perfumes to grab when trying to be inoffensive with your fragrance.

Last night I wore Against Idleness and Mischief for the first time in at least a month, and this time the chamomile note was much more noticeable once the initial blast of "HONEY!" died down somewhat. After trying for a while to figure out what it reminded me of, it hit me that it smelled kind of like Hälsa chamomile shampoo from the '80s. Ooo, I loved the way that stuff smelled! I sometimes used it even though it was for blondes and I was an auburn-head.

The honey note does stick around, because my skin never met a honey it didn't like. It's one of the honeys from my beloved Womb Furie 2012. That keeps this from being straight up Hälsa chamomile shampoo, but it still makes me think of clean, shiny hair. I like that it's a contrast to the spicy, resinous, woody, fruity, and musky blends I wear most of the time.

Against Idleness and Mischief is just as gorgeous as it was when I got the imp about six months ago. I wore it to bed last night and I really think it helped me drift off to sleep.

I tested this lab frimp before reading the notes, because after all these years of wearing BPAL I am still learning to identify individual notes. This one was easy- honey! This is a soft honey, the same one that is present in Butterfly Nectar bath oil. In fact, this perfume is the perfect compliment to that bath oil! This stays soft and sweet on my skin, no medicinal or herbal notes come through. It's just a lovely summery scent. Against Idleness is another example of the power of frimps. It has never caught my interest before, but now I find that it is bottle-worthy for sure!

Whoa, this is not the type of scent I ever would have picked up on my own, but I got it as a frimp and I'm glad I did! It's gorgeous--honey with the herbal smells of chamomile and hyssop keeping the sweetness in check. Like others have said, this is a green, honeyed, herbaceous scent. I get a little teeny bit of something aniseed-y in the background, but nothing too strong. What a lovely, summery perfume.

This blend was one I anticipated the most in my order. I was hoping the chamomile would be stronger, I love the smell of dried chamomile flowers (though in their defense, I've tried chamomile essential oil and it smells NOTHING like chamomile flowers. So maybe it's a difficult note to deal with). However, the honey note is the same one that's in Pandy! Against Idleness and Mischief is basically Pandy minus the lollipop-ness, to my nose. Pollen loaded honey creamed with a little vanilla (tonka). It stays rather close to your skin, but IMO that's preferred for such a sweet blend. Not cloying and is a refeshing summer scent.

Edited to add: I finally detected the hyssop. It's a bright, green note that prevents the blend from being tooth-achingly sweet. Against Idleness and mischief is great for scenting hair! For best results I braid my hair and run the imp's wand down the braid. 2-3 swipes provides all-day sillage. :joy: Bottle worthy!

Edited by Amber Tears

Against Idleness and Mischief immediately has me thinking of pine sprinkled over with that pollen-dusted honey. It’s a gentle, clean, unremarkable scent. Balanced, in that I don’t sense anything noticeably sharp, sweet, or cloying.

The only thing that stands out to me about AIaM is that the honey here doesn’t amp to sickly sweet on me like it does in other honey blends, which is nice, and turns more herbal instead.

This. This smells so smiliar to Lush's "B Never Too Busy to Be Beautiful". Oh, yum. YES YES THIS IS LOVELY. So sweet and lovely but comforting. Try this if you like that scent from Lush. :)

Wet - Whoa, honey and tonka. I smell like clover honey.

Dry - Okay, I can definitely smell the chammomile and a more sweet herbal note which I assume is the hyssop. It is still very honey, though, and the tonka is making it super sweet. It's just walking the line of syrupy and saccharine and TOO sweet, though.

After an hour - Definitely more herbs are appearing now, and the honey is calming down a little. It is still quite sweet though. On the upside, it's sweet like a cup of honeyed herbal tea. On the downside - I don't like the honey accord this time around.

Let it be said that I adore sweet fragrances. Eat Me is one of my ultimate favorites. That said, I fall more into the sugary/creamy/buttery/baked goods side of sweet, and less on the thick/syrupy/honeys-or-berries side of sweet.

Oh, My. I don't know quite what I was expecting when I opened the imp, but this oil blows EVERYTHING out of the water. Against Idleness and Mischief smells like a sun-warmed field, flowers swaying gently in the warm breeze. You can smell the honey, but it's warmer and less cloying than most honey smells. It is fresh, and there is a hint of sunshine in there that smells like lemon rind. It is long lasting on me - I have gotten several compliments out of nowhere when I wear this blend. Often, long after I believed that the scent was gone people have mentioned it. There is a warmth and glow that stays with you when you wear it. Absolutely delightful!

(One of my 2015 NYRs is to write more BPAL reviews! I slacked off sadly during 2014.)

Frimp from my lovely decanter! I love the Alice line and it's one of my favourite books ever, so this seemed like a good scent to start the New Year off with. I also love the BPAL honey note.

In the imp: A barely yellow thin oil, almost clear. I get a nice whiff of golden honey, and some flowers, maybe a little spice.

Wet: Rather faint honey, sweet but not cloying. I really slathered it (accidentally, and there went the label) but it's still quite faint. Definitely not that golden rich heavy honey, but a nice unsyrupy sweetness. (Husband thinks it smells powdery, boo. Also: "Wow, that's really faint.")

Drydown: This doesn't fade too much, but remains very light. Husband thought almost a light musk came out, I got more powder -- we might both be picking up on the tonka. Green turns to instant ugly blech on my skin, so I was worried about the chamomile and hyssop, but I also amp honey so I guess it's drowning out the green. I don't get the honey-in-tea smell, but this is definitely sweet honeyed herbs, rather than herbed honey. It might be much sweeter on people who have less trouble with green notes. Not a lot of throw, but pretty good staying power for something so faint.

Verdict: It's sunny out but really cold here, and we have the blinds drawn all the way up but the windows tightly closed to catch the sunshine, which is fading but a little bit warm. Pathetic Fallacy Alert: this reminds me of very early spring, when the sky is that pale clear blue and you see a promising haze of green on trees more than actual leaves or buds. This would be a nice light, slightly green, honey for those who don't want that big sweet blast. Not bottle-worthy for me, but I'm glad to have tried it -- I might get another imp of it.

Edited by theredshoes

I liked Skuld quite a bit but didn't think it was really wearable for everyday use. Against Idleness and Mischief is a more relaxed honey note blended well with chamomile. The chamomile is a not to floral-ish floral. I love the hyssop, green herbal note which saves the scent from being too warm and cloying. This is lovely and wearable if you like simple, less obtrusive scents. I will definitely be ordering another imp of this, I feel tempted to buy a bottle but want to try more of the honey and beeswax scents.

It doesn't change much from wet to dry except that the chamomile and hyssop notes come out more and balance out the sweet honey.

Edit: on second thought this might be too gentle and clean for me. I need a little oomph and mystery in a scent.

Edited by Myrrha

This smells so, so similar to the White Bees Swarming hair gloss, just without that shimmering aura of frosty sweetness. The honey note is definitely the same though, sweeter and more floral than the honey in Bard (which I'm testing on the other hand!). The tonka was very much in evidence wet, but it's faded away now to just leave a very sweet, simple, slightly herbal chamomile-honey.

Overall, I think I'll use the remainder of my White Bees first (I largely wear it as perfume/body oil), because I really love that sparkly frosty sweetness, but when that's gone I will very probably return to this for a workable backup! :)

I think the descriptions of chamomile tea with lashings of honey were spot on. A pleasant herbal, honey scent that smells natural and not too sweet. This is definitely a comfort scent for me, and one I like to wear to sleep. Note: even though it seemed to have poor longevity to my nose, this is one of the few BPAL's my boyfriend has been able to detect a few hours after application.

Beautiful! Honey and chamomile. This smells soft, comforting, and old-fashioned. For some reason it conjured up impressions of Little House on the Prairie for me! :tongue:

Unfortunately it turned to playdough (honey does that to me every time), but I really liked it before that happened.

The chamomile note is the most prominent note in the imp. It is the dominant note on my skin at first, but the pollen-dusted honey is helping to sweeten the blend. The scent is getting sweeter the longer it sits on my skin. The tonka note seems to be emerging more over time. (I'm not sure what hyssop smells like. Sometimes I get a hint of spice, but I'm not sure which note is contributing to that.)

The honey note reigns during the dry stage, but the chamomile is still present. This is a nice, relaxing blend that just reads as 'happy' to my nose. I can't stop huffing my arm. I love sugary florals, and I could see myself using this as a sleep blend or wearing it on warm spring days.

I need a bottle.

Edited by dementia_divine

In the imp: Soft, powdery honeyed herbs.

Wet: Honey and chamomile

Dry: Definitely honeyed chamomile, its nit changed much between the wet and dry stages. The hyssop is boosting the herbal side slightly, but it's mostly honey. I'm not familiar enough with tonka to pick it out in a blend yet, but there's definitely something else going on. I love this, but the sweetness would probably annoy me too much to wear in the day, but it's perfect as a winding down before bed scent.

Sigh, this was a real morpher on me. In the bottle and wet, I like it so much, it's herby honey with a touch of minty from the hyssop, but it ended up getting anise-y on me during the drydown which I think may have to do with the tonka in combination with the hyssop.

I am not sure, but I think I hate hyssop. I love the other notes though, and the Mad Tea Party line in general, so I'm giving it a go anyway!

Wet: Floral honey, with a touch of something almost minty. Not hating it so far. In fact, I kind of like it!

Dry: This dries really light. It's mostly honey. A light, floral honey. I have other honey blends I like better (Tobacco Honey) but I am very glad to have gotten to try it.

As other reviewers have said above this is chamomile tea with a splash of honey. I don't get much tonka, but the hyssop is probably that floral note hanging in the background - I'm pretty bad at distinguishing florals. I think I had sniffed this before, but it didn't strike me as a remarkable scent so I didn't skin test it.

Last night I was needing to relax, and used AIaM as a sleep blend, and it works so well that way! It's not overly sweet/cloying but comforting and herbal, and I'm considering getting a big bottle just for those nights when I need some extra sleep motivation!

Wet on my skin, this is chamomile, honey, vanilla tonka, and sage-like mint, in that order.

Dried on my skin, this is a pale, dry, tranquil green herbal with honey.

This is like a sleepytime tea without the tea, or a sun-warmed field you dream of, but never find. Creamy and light yellow-green; calming and close to the skin.