Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Velvet Unicorn

Spun sugar, sparkling rainbow candies, strawberries, merangue, and cherry fluff.

In the bottle: First of all, the bottle art is super awesome. A unicorn with a rainbow, as pictured on the BPAL site, in The Salon! Now, smell.. Vanilla briefly, then sugar, then pink sugar, then sugared strawberry bits.. Mmm, lots of delicious sugar!

Wet on skin: The sugariness seems woefully diminished - this one may need to be slathered. Just a bit of pink sugar now, with more pink - I don't know how to describe it other than "pink" - than sugar.

On the drydown: Pineapple? What? Okay, that's faded now.. I had a brief pinapple-y moment, but maybe that was a stroke. Anyway, it's gone more fruity now, less sugary. A little disappointing, as I was hoping for more of a punch of sugar, but the strawberry-ness is nice enough!

It's like Midway and Marshmallow Poof mixed together, with some kinda funky tropical undertone. Loved it so much I bought a second bottle as soon as the first one came! Literally, I ripped open the box, smelled it and got online immediately. This is Midway without the butter undertone. Love love love it! *swoon*

Velvet Unicorn-

In Bottle: I don't get candy off this, I get something like a sugared floral. Like in the way violet cream and rose cream candies don't give you a "candy" feel. There's also a hint of play-doh oily scent like I get from BPAL's marshmallow scent.

Wet: "Fluff" is right. I feel like there's sugary powder all over and there's a "red" scent like in redpop, red kool-aid, red jell-o...the sort of thing where you don't know if it's strawberry or cherry or fruit punch. That play-doh note is subtly there but only subtly, it doesn't overpower or make this cloying.

Dry: Bright powdery fruity sweetness. "Powdery" is the top descriptor I'd use, but they all fight for dominance.

Overall: I wish it were more candy-like on me but that's not its fault. :)

Smells super sweet and foody in the bottle (yay) and when I first put it on it smelled like yummy candy, but then when it dried down it turned totally plastic on me. I'm bummed.

I was a bit worried about this one going all Pink Marshmallow Poof on me. Straight, teeth clenchingly pure HELLO I'M SUGAR is not really my thing, BPAL wise. But I needn't have worried, because Velvet Unicorn has depth. It's not simply a piece of tooth decaying cotton candy. There's a...unicorn behind this scent. Really. Yeah, it's blinding and kind of glittery. But there is a unicorn there! Ethereal, big soft eyes, nervously pawing the ground wanting you to like it. This is actually very similar to what I think Boo would be like if you added strawberry candies and pink hearts and the essence of rainbows. :lol:

I keep wanting Bpal foodies/ultimate sweets to work on me. I do. I really, really do.

On this was sugar, sugar, sugar, vanilla-ed plastic strawberry. Something about my chemistry can not do straight up foody/sweet scents. I need to get that through my thick skull. It's hard though. I'm such a foodie at heart. :(

This is one of those scents that I saw the description and thought....I must have that! Immediately.....if not?? SOONER!!

I'm getting a slight tropical vibe from this and I'm definatley getting the likeness to Marshmallow Poof. MP is slightly coconutty to my nose and that's why I'm getting the tropical thing going on. It's like Marshmallow Poof with some fluffy sugar and fruit added to it. It smells slightly effervescent too.

It's a fun bouncy scent that makes me think of a bag of sweets. Yum!! It's the kind of scent that you'd pick a certain outfit to wear with it like... (If I was a girl) I'd wear my hair in pigtails and have some sort of skirt with pink fluffy trimming. In fact, I think I might just go and throw that ensemble on right now :lol:

The fruit in here doesn't smell like either cherry or strawberry to me it's almost like a citrus...a light citrus...

The dryer stage of this is really where the marshmallow element comes out. Once the oil is dry it's a dead ringer for when you stick your nose in a bag of marshmallows. This is my favourite part. I really wish it was stronger though..

I love this scent!

Edited by ouch!

Pink, cloudy, and sweet (but not teeth-achingly sweet). It smells fluffy and girlie. The cherry and strawberry in it are there, but they're kind of a backseat to that fluffy sort of marshmallow-y scent. They just make it smell PINK.

I loooove this one. I think every time I've worn it I've gotten a compliment. Other people like it too. :)

This was the only "Velvet" scent that I bought a whole bottle of, and I'm super glad I did.

Bottle: Strawberry and sugary sweets

Wet: Strawberry, marshmallow, cotton candy and a hint of cherry

Dry: The cherry took over then it went through a lemon phase then faded, although there seemed to be a faint lingering hint of coconut.

I'm really disappointed with this one. From the description and how it smelt until it dried it was perfect for me, but unfortunatly not meant to be it seems.

Oh. Wow. This smells like strawberry fizzy marshmallowy sugar goodness. Lots and lots of candy- I smell strawberry and cherry and lemon. YUM

eta: The more this dries, the more I smell lemonyness. It's still sweet, though, and soft. It has the feel of Underpants- kind of buttery, yet not.

Edited by VioletFemme

This scent is the Easter holiday encapsulated in a bottle, pastel plastic Easter eggs included.

This scent is SPRINGTIME.

I am getting Peeps marshmallow bunnies and chicks crusted in colorful sugar granules. In the backdrop

a pale buttercup yellow lemon meringue pie swirled with cherry and vanilla candies that are not

like cough syrup at all. Just delicious cherries nothing artificial or swamped in saccharin.

Then I get the pastel plastic eggs upon the drydown. :( If it were not for the plastic this would be a potential back up worthy choice.

Edited by Rshields

I really wanted to love this, but something about Velvet Unicorn just didn't agree with me. It wasn't too sweet--I'm a foodie and I LOVE sweet scents. I was so hoping it would be like Midway, but they weren't similar at all, IMO.

Velvet Unicorn smelled great in the bottle, but on my skin it reminded me strongly of an etailer dupe of Pink Sugar. It was sweet & vaguely fruity, but more of an artificial fruit scent than the real thing. What really disagreed with me was the pervasive musk I kept smelling--it just took over the blend when dry and ruined the balance.

I'm really glad it worked for others, but sadly it wasn't for me.

This is more sugary in the vial than on my skin. On my skin it takes on a pink tone which is not wholly candy, there is some kind of flowery aura to it, somehow. It's very interesting, and just the slightest dab is incredibly strong. It brings to mind the sweetness of green label 13 to me, but more palatable than that one was on me.

I love hard-candy scents. This smells like a fluorescent glittering rainbow...or a lemon, pineapple, strawberry, and cherry Blow-Pop, and marshmallows. And it lasts! Drool. :yum:

ETA: I found a bottle of this on eBay and it's more marshmallow than the decant I have. It's still delicious. :wub2:

Edited by mxtine

PINK!!! Fluffy strawberry and cherry fruity-cake-clouds. Smells like there's some white musk as well. I love it! :wub2:

Update (4/28/12): Well, I'm not sure if it's aging of the scent, my chemistry changing, or my tastes changing, because I just retested Velvet Unicorn (to see if I want to swap for a bottle) and I'm not loving it as much as I did before. I do love the sweet vanilla-strawberry-musk, but the cherry (I think it's the cherry) is going kind of medicinal-plastic, giving it an unpleasant, almost chemical undertone. Bummer. :(

Edited by sunlitgarden

I started out LOVING this, it was sugary delights whipped into a fluffy, airy treat. Very similar to a cotton candy scent, with sprinkles on top.

After a few hours though, this transitioned into a very musky, warm scent that reminded me of the Vanilla scented pipe tobacco that my stepfather used to smoke. For some reason, some of these sweeter notes seem to fade into this vanilla tobacco scent on me, of which I'm not a fan

In the tester bottle I got of this (THANK YOU SO MUCH OPTICNERD!), this is fluffy sugary cherry and strawberry, very similar to LoliGoth. On my skin, it's very similar to LoliGoth; fluffy pinkness. We'll see what happens. Very pink fluff, not quite for me.

Edited by Venneh

I can't believe I've never gotten round to reviewing this! Definitely one of my favourite sweet blends. It is soaringly pink and sugary - marshmallows, cherries and strawberries are all evident and delicious. I wish the staying power was better but overall I love Velvet Unicorn so much that I don't mind having to re-apply every so often. Absolutely gorgeous.

I was finally lucky enough to score a bottle of this! It's mostly sugary cherry on me, and the dry down is a very soft candy scent. So glad I finally got to try it!

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

Seeing the notes I'm a little surprised, I don't get the cherry at all. I get a warm vanilla with coconut and strawberry, it's actually very tropical. It has a tartness to it that Velvet Tiki also has, it keeps the scent from being too sweet. But it's definitely a foody almost cakey vanilla.

Sniffed: A mix of the sugar in Antique Lace et al., and the weird artificial sweetness of Boo.

On skin: Velvet Unicorn is nothing but spun sugar and generic, tooth-aching sweetness. There's a hint of something weirdly artificial underneath; Boo was similarly wrong, so one or more of the Lab's candy notes clearly don't sit well with me.

Verdict: I can't wear most foody-sweet BPAL, so I never expected to like Velvet Unicorn. (Just reviewing it because I was frimped a tester.)

Velvet Unicorn

On: Sweet, fruity cotton candy.

1 hour in: This is starting to smell vegetable-y on me. This sometimes happens with the sweeter, foody blends. Boo.

6.5 hours in: Still bad.

Overall: This turns bad on me.