Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Pain

Wicked and vicious! A sharp, cruel blend of lavender and pennyroyal.

I can see how this could be off-putting - there's an anisey green backnote that comes out once it's dried down that puts my teeth on edge a bit. My headache, however, has gone whimpering into a corner, so I'll definitely be keeping this on hand. I'm thinking of making an inhaler stick of sorts, something I can sniff as needed but that doesn't require me to actually wear the scent all day...

ETA: Pain has quietly worked its way into my must-have collection. :D I get stupid nagging sinus headaches this time of year, and a swipe of Pain on the back of each hand goes a long way towards making my days more comfortable... It was also invaluable when we had a minor flea invasion - a few dabs on the ankles to keep the biters down, and an imp's-worth mixed with Borax & worked into the rugs. The fleas were gone within days, and our house smelled lovely & bracing & clean :P Edited by tartchef

I wasn't sure what pennyroyal smelled like but in this blend it seems to be a pungent herbal. It dominates for a while but the lavender isn't far behind. There's almost a mint quality in there as well. This kind of has a sinister medicinal quality to it.

This blend is so incredibly sharp that I almost cut myself putting it on.

I'm a fan of lavender, and this is lavender with a razor edge. Wet, the pennyroyal was cool and sort of minty but while drying down it just got...pointy, for lack of a better term. It's quite a pleasant and unassuming lavender underneath, which is not totally overwhelmed, but it's close.

However, it fits a mood, for sure, and it also seems to be one of the few blends that I like when I'm fighting off a migraine (Envy being the other). I'm going to hang on to this imp, and I might not buy a 5ml but will probably want another imp when it's gone.

Edited by lilirose

If you had asked me before BPAL if I liked herbal scents, I'd have said, "uhm. Nothanks." But after trying some of the herbal scents here, I've realized I'll likely end up going after them before anything else.

In the imp, this smelled very much like Envy (which is my current favourite). Very sharp mint, but not necessarily all the green of Envy. Wet on skin, the pennyroyal still dominates, but there's a hint of something softer, more blue, in the background. It's a little medicinal, but it's not unenjoyable--it definitely wards off the headaches.

After it dries, it's a soft mint-and-lavender that really only catches up to you when the wind kicks up right. I fully enjoyed it, even though I needed to re-apply halfway through the day.

This is definitely a bottle for me, and I'll probably end up with it in my very next order.

sharp, pungent pennyroyal over lavender wet, lavender over pennyroyal dry.

not very interesting or 'perfumey' but it smells nice. I use it as insect repellent! a floral ish insect repellent to layer with other scents when I don't want to get bit or want a bit of sharpness.

This smells medicinal. Wet, it's more intensely sharp and pungent than it is dry. It starts out strongly minty/menthol, and as it dries down, a lavender note comes out. Once it's dried down more, it just smells faintly of mint until it disappears.

I can see why this might help with headaches. It's not perfume to me, though.

2.5 out of 5

I received this one as a frimp with my Dragon Moon and Upa Upa...

In the imp: It's mainly minty, with sharpness that I assume comes from the pennyroyal.

Wets: The mint is a bit fainter, with the sharpness a little more pronounced.

But...in less than half an hour, I smell nothing, not even the faintest whiff. So that makes it all moot.

In the bottle – That’s very sharp lavender

Wet on me – Lavender and mint, less astringent than I would have expected

Dry on me –A soft mintiness from the pennyroyal

Overall – this may come in useful as a soothing room scent, but I can’t see me wearing it

in the imp: peppermint with a slight edge of leather. i'm assuming this is the pennyroyal in action and it's surprisingly good! :D

wet on skin: same, but the leather has a touch of smokiness added in. :P

dry down: it has stayed consistent.

in all: the lavender is only faint in this blend, and i find i like it, because the pennyroyal, which i'd previously been unfamiliar with, has a real chance to show it's complexity. Beth hit the nail on the head in terms of name- this is very evocative of SM roleplaying, i must say.

:D

Pennyroyal the herb is minty - like Chamomile. The essential oil (don't know if that's what is used in this) is very, very toxic if taken internally. I had no idea what the oil smelled like, and yeah...ouch.

Lavender isn't really perceptible to me here. I just get this very sharp, astringent note that is screaming in my nostrils. This would be an ideal "Leave Me Alone" scent. I can't speak for it's headache-reducing qualities, but will keep my imp around to test it.

In The Bottle

Definitely lavender and pennyroyal. Minty

On Application

Strong pennyroyal, but it can't completely overpower the lavender

Dry Down

For something so simple and recognizable, I love this. Sharp, it is. Warm, fresh and soothing. A simple blend so doesn't have the complexities of alot of the others. Doesn't last long, as expected but I am going to keep the imp around.

Rating (0-5)

That is very apt description.

Wet, a sharp blend of minty pennyroyal and herby lavender.

Dry, still pungent.

It's different. Very different. I might keep the imp simply because of its uniqueness. I don't think it's one I'll reach for often, though.

In the bottle: Very pale, almost colourless yellow oil. Lavender and butterscotch mints, mouthwatering, yet pretty at the same time. I'm almost giddily excited to smell this one, it may be a winner.

Wet: Lavender and sweet, soft, mild mint (must be the pennyroyal), fresh and soothing. Not painful at all, but relaxing and stimulating at once. Every time I sniff my wrist I want to break out into a huge smile. Soft cooling sensation on my skin.

After a few minutes on skin: The soft pepperiness of the lavender is still noticeable, overlain by the clean scent of the pennyroyal, still minty, but with a softer edge than peppermint or spearmint. I'm still getting the faint impression of butterscotch mints, but not enough to make this a truly foody blend. These scents compliment each other *so* well. I didn't think anything could improve upon the deliciousness of lavender, but this comes pretty close.

After first hour: Fresh minty lavender.

After two and a half hours: Barely there lavender.

After 5 hours: Completely gone.

Final Verdict: Quite pleasant, with an excellent start, but as it faded the pennyroyal vanished and only lavender remained. If I wanted this effect I would simply wear some lavender essential oil. Worthy of an honourable mention, definitely for its auspicious beginning, but not one for my top ten.

In imp: What the? I smell peppermint right off the bat. Not at all what I expected.

Wet on skin: Mint and an almost medical sanitary note. There’s something like spilled ink underneath it, too.

Drydown: Still minty and inky. It’s like an over-sanitized doctor’s office, where something very bad is going to happen. The lavender has finally come out, and it’s putting me off. Floral mixed with the other notes is a bit headache-inducing.

Overall: It’s a bizarre mix of sanitary and flower bouquets, and not at all what I expected. I like the pennyroyal, just not as one part of a two-part blend. The lavender did nothing to improve it. Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sometimes the name and description say it all. PAIN. SHARP. CRUEL. Strongly herbal. I will give it credit for drying down into something much softer but by then I've already got a headache, so it's a bit too little too late, Pain!

Mmmm!! Minty Lavender Tea!! This is so fresh and clean and lovely... opens up my nose and when I inhale deeply my eyes feel refreshed. :D I love this!!! I use lavender filled dryer bags to make my sheets country soft and this reminds me of those.. but don't confuse that with a traditional dryer sheet scent that people sometimes get. This is a real lavender with body and charm. My arm was just resting on my table and I get whiffs of fresh minty lavender.

:D :P

I can smell both the pennyroyal and the lavender in this -- and I lurve them!

The funny thing is that I use Lavender and/or Pennyroyal EO's when I'm in pain -- from insect bites or rashes. I also use it in a spray to keep bugs away. I plant both in my yard -- pennyroyal is supposed to keep fleas down.

Imp: Extreme herbal.

Wet: A very minty lavender. Fresh and herbal, but yes, very sharp, as promised. It’s a sharp green herbal, and has the nose shocking strength of paint remover (doesn't smell like paint remover, though--hope you know what i mean).

Dry: Gets much less sharp, and sweeter, with an almost sugared or vanilla aspect with the herbs. Its a lightly sweetened mint and lavendar, gentle and uplifting. Less “painful” now, and more pretty! After about 2 hrs, it fades to nothing.

Overall: I actually really enjoy this scent, but I'm not much for reapplying every few hours. I don't know if I'll keep it for when I need an uplifting 2 hour boost, or if I'll work on swapping it. I wonder how it'd be as a room scent, too....

In the imp, it smells herby and minty. On me, it smells like... a very clean, but very evil mint, that's a tad angry. Not what I was expecting with a name like "Pain," but I do like it. :P

Wet, this is very herbal and sharp, almost in a painful way. (sorry!!) The sharpness almost bites you, it's mood is dirty and evil. This quickly wears off, however and what's left is a very refreshing mint. I hadn't checked the description before and was surprised that mint wasn't listed. Must be the Pennyroyal, because I don't smell the lavender at all. This would be a very nice, refreshing scent for a hot summer day. The sad thing is that it doesn't last very long on my skin, an hour at the most. Surprised that I liked this, as initially, it was quite a shocking scent.

I adore this. It's pure mint and lavender on me, in almost equal proportions. Minty, lavendery love. A little medicinal, maybe, but also clean and energizing. It's great for clearing my mind when I need to settle down to work. It's also excellent for headaches, because sometimes my stomach can't handle the stronger mint smell in Grr. And, let's face it, I'd just smell like this all the time if I could.

Alas, this fades quicker than any other BPAL I've tried. I get half an hour, tops, from an application. This may be my first BPAL heartbreak.

This one is a minty/herbally lavender blend. The mint is pretty bracing at the beginning.

And my skin completely eats this up.

Half an hour later and it's GONE.

Grr.

Bottle: Pine Sol

Wet on my skin: Pine Sol, black licorice maybe?

Dry: I was thinking...What is this? I know this smell. I finally figured it out: Corsican mint. Lovely smell as a herb but on my skin it's way too astringent and chemically.

Imp: Herbal, with almost a minty quality to it.

Wet: I can't smell the lavendar at all, just mint with an herbal undertone.

Dry: This would be great as a bathroom cleanser, but not so much on my skin.

Initially applied, Pain is a very sharp mint and herb scent. I know it's there, but the herb isn't recognizable to my nose as lavender. Drying down, it becomes a slightly softer, but still unsweetened mint.

After an hour, I get a fresh-smelling un-sweet soft mint… it smells almost "fuzzy" to me, the way that most mints do over time.

Oddly, the final drydown smelled very familiar to me, and I finally placed the scent--it was waxy, smelling just like crayons! How odd!

I think that mint doesn't quite work right on me… it never seems to achieve quite the stage I want it to, and it softens into an indistinct "fuzzy" scent that is ok but not gripping. Probably a skin chemistry issue. Sigh.

Recaplet: Sharp herbal-mint that goes fuzzy and soft.

My rating: 3 of 5 (Nice enough.)

Color impression: Spearmint green.