Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Pain

Wicked and vicious! A sharp, cruel blend of lavender and pennyroyal.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Strong mint. At first that’s all I smell, but when I sniff a little longer, I get the lavender. I have never encountered pennyroyal before, but clearly it’s a type of mint.

Wet: This smells almost exactly like the Badger sleep balm I use occasionally, which does contain lavender, though mint or pennyroyal is not a listed ingredient. It’s definitely not a pure lavender scent.

Pain doesn’t change when dry, though the mint makes my skin tingle. Not painful at all. smile.gif

While this is perfectly pleasant, it smells more like an herbal remedy than a perfume to me. I will keep it around for just that reason, though: I can use it by applying it to my pillowcase or something similar when I’m trying to sleep.

I feel this scent is appropriatly named. It is my "go to" scent for headaches and migraines. I looked into aromatherapy for an alternative/supplemental headache cure and found peppermint and lavender to be recommended. I attempted to mix my own essential oils with some success, then low and behold, I recieved a pain frimp from the lab.

This is a dusty peppermint from the pennyroyal (think Altoids or those powdery peppermint sticks) with a medicinal lavender. Lasting power is meh. It fades pretty fast on me. Which is fine because I don't wear it for the scent (although I find it pleasant) but rather the effect. BRAVO Lab, and my head thanks you!

I love this! Super strong mint with a medicinal lavender, perfect for when you have a headache or need to be refreshed! Must get a bottle ASAP!

In the imp: Yup, that's a straight-up mix of mint and lavender. Earthy, energizing, and perhaps a bit odd (the zing of the mint plus the soothing lavender creates an interesting experience), but I definitely wouldn't call this wicked or vicious.

Wet: The minty pennyroyal becomes dominant, but the lavender is still there, lurking in the background. Now it's an herbaceous, energizing, slightly sweet smell. In fact, it smells almost exactly like the hippie/New Age shops that abound in my hometown.

Dry: Within an hour or so, it dries down to something far less pleasant - a sort of minty-sour, very faint skin-smell.

Ack! "Sharp" is right! :ack:

While wet, the combination of lavender and mint translates into rubbing alcohol. At first, the mint is predominent, but as it dries, the lavender takes over. It still smells medicinal, but with a sour, metallic edge that brings to mind some rather unsettling images...

It is an incredibly successful illustration of the concept as it does indeed smell of cruelty, but it's really, really not for me... :umm:

Wet: Well balanced mint and lavender. I LOVE the mint and lavender in Envy, and this reminds me of Envy without the green notes. Really nice.

Dry: I'm loving this. One of my favourite lavender scents from the Lab thus far. It doesn't go soapy like lavender sometimes does on me. and I find the mint both soothing and invigorating at the same time. Might need a bottle.

Oh, sharp like the description. Too sharp honestly. Though I adore mint and pennyroyal is supposed to smell similar to spearmint, this was not a good mint on me. On my notes, I just wrote down "nope." Medicinal - though I imagine good for a headache like many other reviewers have said. I think I may try Envy instead for the mint and lavender with green notes that LizziesLuck mentions.

oh, I like this! Really nice combo, simple but effective. Be perfect for hot summer nights for sleeping or headaches/stress relief. I think I may need a bottle.

this to me is definitely a medicinal lab oil. This is what you want for a good nights sleep and headache relief. When I sniff it, I can almost taste it on the back of my tongue, it's very aggressive but not in a make you sick way. Wet, it is a well balanced scent of lavender and pennyroyal, which I believe is giving off the medicinal scent as well. Which when applied amps up to smelling like something that my massage therapist smears on me when my muscles are especially bad and the lavender has vanished. I will keep the imp to see if it works for bedtime, and if it does then I know I will need to get a bottle.

Edited by Anita

A frimp in my recent order. Very similar to Anaesthesia which is towards the top of my Favorites list and a frequent go-to scent. Pain is not quite as strong, I would say, and I think Anaesthesia lasts longer, but if I couldn't get Anaesthesia anymore, this would be a perfectly acceptable substitute. It will be added to my Wish List.

I love the name/concept of this, but as someone who actually uses essential oils for pain (specifically lavender and mint)...this kind of just smells like I've rubbed that all over my arm. And then smeared extra lavender on. It's a gorgeous lavender but it's also not grabbing me in an "I need it" sort of way. As far as actual pain treatment, I'll stick to spearmint instead of pennyroyal. They smell almost identical to me, but menthol is what does the heavy lifting for aches and pains!

As an aside, I don't actually find this all that sharp, at least for a lavender lover--it's subtle and soothing and would probably work well as a sleep aid.

I’m wearing The Mountebank this morning, and it had mostly faded. So, why not test another lavender scent over? 

Pain seemed appropriate, but boyyyyy is this scent not my thing. It’s minty and lavender and floral, but has a soapy undercurrent that I just can’t get over. I love mint and lavender together, so I’m thinking pennyroyal just doesn’t work for my skin. Bummer! I was hoping for a sharp cleansing experience, just not one that involved soap. Maybe in a diffuser?? Cooling bedtime atmosphere..... will give it a try. 

Now, I’m off to slather Mountebank on again and feel cozy. 

Really chilly mintiness in the imp, with a softness underneath. On my skin it is more green and herbal, but still very chilly. As it dries the lavender creeps into view, but the pennyroyal is what I sniff first still. Very refreshing scent.

A frimp I got from after purchasing from a user in the Bpal Sales Madness FB group. As others have stated in the imp its just pure mintyness.

The mint is also very strong when first applied, but not overwhelmingly so. Lavender creeps around in the background just barely noticeable. The throw starts off strong but fades quickly. Usually within two hours I can't smell anything anymore. Still I have the notifications turned on to purchase a full bottle when it's back in stock!