Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chai_girl

Zephyr

A gentle white scent, breezes laced with the scent of springtime blooms and citrus. Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

This sounded more promising than it turned out to be. It goes on pleasant enough, lightly floral but not FLORAL, if you take my meaning. :P But as it dries down there's something underpinning the sweet top notes that I just don't like. I suspect it's the neroli, as I've had problems with that before. It ends up being nice if I'm actually sniffing it and paying attention to the top notes, but off-putting if I'm just catching a whiff here and there as I work. Bottom line: swap pile for this one.

Mmmmmm... this one reminds me of a perfume my mom used to wear. I had her sniff it and she said it smelled familiar too, but can't remember what it reminds her of.

It starts off, in the imp and wet on my skin, all lemony-fresh but not like a cleaner. As it dries down, the lemon and lemon verbena stick around but soften a bit, and the other notes come to the surface. The lemons, white florals, a bit of vanilla sweetness, and what I assume is neroli are the most apparent notes although they're so well blended it's hard to tell what's what... the musks and sandalwood give it all staying power.

Zephyhr is very light and fresh and summery but also sophisticated - not just a little girlish pretty perfume, although it wouldn't smell amiss on someone young. I'm thinking of buying a bottle of this to wear to (the few) college events where when I have to act like an adult.

:P

White, white and more white. I have a love affair with all of these notes, so it's just a matter of seeing how they work together. This is supposed to be a very short lived scent, so we'll just have to see.

In the vial - More lemon verbena than pure lemon, with a whiff of the florals.

Wet - Ooo, the notes are all present and blending perfectly! The vanilla is very light, with the sandlewood and florals being most present with the lemon verbena.

Drying - For something so light, there is a whole lot going on with this scent. The notes are so smooth and running into each other. Only problem is that it's getting somewhat soapy, but in a very yummy way. I sure hope this doesn't completely soap out.

Dry (25 minutes) - This is so nice. It's very light and airy, but the white florals only make it slightly soapy. It reminds me of clean sheets that have been hanging out on the line. Divine!

Overall - This is a lovely spring/summer scent for those times when you're wearing just a sundress. I'm so getting a big bottle of this and putting it on my sheets! I wonder if there's a way to use it in the laundry...

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: White flowers.

Preconceived notions: Here's hoping for a soft, citrus-y, white musky vanilla.

In the imp: Musk, vanilla, flowers and lemon.

On skin, wet: Eek, floral. White, waxy flowers. I have no idea what sort of floral notes these are, but they seem intent on drowning me. And they're not doing a bad job.

On skin, dry: Strong, white, waxy flower petals and the briefest hint of musk. Nothing approaching any of the citrus notes, sandalwood, or vanilla. Just overpowering, bright flowers.

Conclusion/Notes: If you like white florals, give Zephyr a go. I don't, so I won't again.

In the bottle: Floral, a little musk, and a little sandalwood. Not bad but I have a feeling it'll morph on my skin.

Wet: Floral but something else in there...something green? Lemon verbena I can smell, I'm not sure what it is but there's something lemony so that must be it...or it could just be plain lemon. It just smells slightly different than straight lemon. I dunno, citrus anyway. Just makes it rather tangy. I'm starting to think I amp lemon.

Dry: Lemon dies down, and the vanilla starts to take over making it a much nicer and creamier smell. I'm liking it so much more now, although I'm not sure I like it anough to keep. Certainly got softer but it's still a mature floral (white floral). And the vanilla/musk is yummy. But there remains a slight tangy undernote.

I will keep it for now and give it another try before I completely decide.

this was in the first batch of imps I ever ordered from the Lab. I'd read through scent reviews on the forums, trying to find soft vanilla scents.

Zephyr is exactly what I wanted in a fragrance. it's soft - musky - vanilla - sweet. I don't really smell any lemon, just musky vanilla with a trace of flowers in the background.

:P I just love this scent. it's my favorite of everything I've tried from the lab so far!

rating: 5/5

Edited by Nightbird

This reminds me of Jovan White Musk. :P My body chemistry really brings out the musk, athough when wet I really get the nuances of this. I can kind of sense a bit of a lemon top note, but on me, this is all musk. Probably going to swap this away.

In the imp: Fresh air, with a whiff of acetone. Damn, my nose is weird.

On me, wet: Acetone vanishes, whew. It still just smells like fresh air, though.

On me, dry: Now it's powdery. And not powdery in a good way, like violets. Powdery in a way that aggravates my allergies.

Verdict: Not for me. Off to the swaps.

What? I never reviewed Zephyr?? And I just noticed that my 5ml bottle is getting down to the last bits.

In my first order I ordered an imp of Zephyr, amongst others. (Velvet was one of the others). I found that I loved the mix of Zephyr and Velvet a lot, and I used up both imps pretty quickly.

These days (because I'm fickle) I do either of them alone (I ordered a 5ml of Velvet and of Zephyr in my next order).

On me Zephyr is simply pure but sexy wonderfulness. It is the scent most commented on by both men and women (when I wear it I always put a bit in my hair). I get absolutely no citrus notes from it at all, and it isn't vanilla in the way my favorite Antique Lace is Vanilla--it is mostly sweetness and musk (musks of all sorts seem to love my skin; good thing I love them).

It lasts well, has an excellent throw, but doesn't gag you with "OMIGOD IT'S PERFUME".

Pure loveliness, and I'd better quickly get together my pennies and order another 5ml. It is really nice as a hot weather scent (but when the crisp days come--try it with Velvet. Cuddly and warm, it is then).

i love all the notes in this (except for maybe some white florals), so i was very excited to try it. it's beautiful-light, warm and a little sexy. i think i'm getting mostly the white musk, florals and neroli. lovely! i just wish it had a little more throw.

I think I just discovered what it means for a scent to "go plastic." I put this on and smell like a Barbie doll...no notes. Nothing. Just plastic. Drat. Can't win them all I guess.

In the vial this one was sweet and contained a submissive floral note.

When I applied it to my skin I got that coppertone sunscreen scent I got from Aeval.. :P

It dries down and more of the musk, vanilla, and sandalwood come out. The sunscreen scent almost diminishes within 5 min.

Being the anti-floral girl that I am, detecting floral is something I can do. I don't detect any in this blend... so either it's a floral that smells like yummy, it's blended so well I can't tell, or my nose is defunct.

Final verdict? The drydown is something I can really deal with; it's definitely bottle-worthy!

A strong, high, planty note at first, kind of bitter -- I'm pretty sure it's neroli. Then some citrus and florals, which is pretty and sweet... and then the vanilla and musk hit me, HARD. I don't know what this curse is that makes me both amp vanilla-musk in the tiniest amounts, and not really like it at all, but there it is. Someone else would love how this smells on me, but not me.

I was expecting this to be crisp, light, and citrussy, and it was at first, but then my skin amped the musk and vanilla. It turned into something unexpectedly deep and sexy, and very long lasting to boot! I will definitely be adding this one to my collection.

:P :D :D

In the bottle: Bright, warm, and gentle, Zephyr is not smelling as citrus-y as I thought it would. It smells clean. It resembles the wind it is named after.

Wet: The vanilla softens it beautifully for me. The notes are so well blended, I can barely pick them out.

Drying down: The citrus notes are perking up a bit, though the overall effect is still an expert mix of bright and soft.

Dry: This is another white scent that seems to be getting along well with my skin. It does not set off my “too floral” alarm. It’s lovely, whether it is worn for summer or for the feeling it elicits. Years before discovering BPAL, I named one of my cats Zephyr. This is as soft and warm as he is. This is a fitting scent for a Mediterranean summer wind.

Later: Zephyr faded rather quickly into a vague, candle-y sweetness. I liked the start, but I don’t think I’ll be buying a big bottle.

straight sniff from imp is very elegant, clean, delicate florals with a whisper

of sandalwood...

once applied this reminds me of the coppertone suntan lotion i used as a kid :P

that must be the creamy vanilla combined with the florals...

this scent gets very strong on me after about 15 to 20 minutes...and not in a good way...i'll give it one more chance in a scent locket before putting this into

ye old swapperooski pile :D

Edited by sookster

In the vial: musky vanilla, with a drop of lemon. Very clean, very simple.

On the skin: This is very fresh, as florals go for me. When I sniff it I "smell" white. Weird. I like it, it's a very girl scent on me.

imp: fruit and herbs

wet: strange...it smells...FLUFFY! Sweet but not too sweet and soft but not too soft. Beautiful!

dry: stays lovely sweet musk. Some peach arrives and then fades. The musk remains. Great lasting and good throw.

Verdict: Very pleasant! a keeper!

Vanilla, sandalwood, and lemon... in that order. It's light and lovely, and most definitely one I'll be adding to my 5ml collection.

Zephyr-

In Bottle: Oh, beautiful. Sweet, powdery!

Wet: Bright amberish florally powder scent.

Dry: That is beautiful. Sweet-amberish powder; not too sharply floral at all. The floral is quite subdued. And it keeps getting better, the longer the dry-down! Vanilla comes out on this in exactly the way I love. I keep sniffing and sniffing my wrists, it's such a yummy scent!

Overall: I love.

Hm. Seems like everyone gets something different with this blend. Personally, I smell on my skin sandalwood, vanilla and a lemon with a hint of what smells like a linen note. This is not something I would wear everyday, since I am not normally a fresh and clean scents person ( :P ) buuut, I do like it nonetheless. I wonder where the neroli is in this, cause I can't smell it at all. not even after the drydown. Strange. This has great throw on me and moderate lasting power.

I might buy a bottle of this come spring, we'll see. I bet it also would be a great room scent, but I don't have enough of it to try that out yet.

I'm getting a very light, lemony vanilla. It has a tinge of spice. This is an unassuming fragrance, quite girlish and pretty, but nothing special to me.

I picked out two imps last night to choose from before I went to work this morning. Zephyr won today (:

In the imp, it's kind of powdery and clean smelling. I know this kind of sounds bad because the only thing I can think of to compare it to is bathroom air freshener. It's not unpleasant, it's just ... kind of non-descript?

Wet on skin, I get lemon verbena more than I get lemon, still with a bit of a powdery background.

Once it's dry, I get a little sweetness to join the powderiness, and the thing that makes me think white florals. If there's any vanilla, it's hiding behind the sweet and powdery. If I take a sniff, and think about it, I can detect something vanilla-y, it's not a buttery vanilla, but a french vanilla kind of vibe. There's a mix in there that makes me think gently citrus, but it's not the dominant thing, and to my nose it's not that distinct.

Over the day, I got wafts of this floating about me while I was running around rather frantically (if I thought yesterday was a bad day in terms of the number of broken things I had to work out how to fix, today the things that didn't break yesterday decided to join in!). It was pleasant, but not something that made me swoon. It was, however, gone before I left work. Describing this as a gentle white scent pretty much sums it up. I think there's a few in my group of possible enablees who might like this. That's why it goes in the frimp/adoption pile!

Zephyr is mostly musk with "girly flowers" (as opposed to "generic flowers") and a smoky firecracker/extinguished candle note. No citrus/vanilla for me. No Zephyr for me.