Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
agnusdei

Agapē

Happy fifth birthday to the bpal.org forum! To commemorate five years of camaraderie, love, and unbelievable kindness, we present a scent comprised of notes that encapsulate the essence of friendship: carnation, apple, sweet pea, vanilla cream, passionfruit, sugar cane, tonka, and guava.

Wet this is a mix of tropical fruit and something warm and creamy like almond in the background. When first on it's much lighter but is the same fruity mix. After a couple of minutes it smells like baby aspirin- a soft, powdery orange. After a couple hours this is a fruity, powdery blend. There's some earthiness in the background too. On the dry down this is a nice warm, sweet apple. This is a nice fruity blend. I'll have to try it a few more times and decide if I want to keep it. I really like the dry down stage but am not sure about the fruitiness in the beginning stages. I am still so happy that Beth made such a thoughtful blend for us! :D Edited by Phaedra

Finally got round to trying this! When wet it reminded me of Bordello! After a while i could smell the apples... now it's just sweet. The sweet pea is most obvious, I can't really smell the vanilla cream and everything else is pretty well-blended together.

Wet on skin this is very similar to Cheshire Moon if i'm remembering it right. Tropical fruit with a creamy vanilla note. As it dries down I get a little bit of apple and what I think is the carnation. After a few hours it's turned into a much more powdery scent, a lot like Snow White to my nose. It's soft and sweet but not overly fruity anymore.

To think I wasn't going to bother with this one! Fruits (especially tropical) are quite often a big miss, as with sweet pea. So glad I did, as this is turning out to be a lovely surprise love for me. Wet, this is creamy vanilla with a touch of apple and some florals. The apple disappears after awhile, and we're left with a delicious, creamy floral, with maybe a lingering apple scent. The notes that I love in this blend, the carnation, vanilla, tonka, and probably sugar cane are amping, and the ones I don't, the fruit and sweet pea, are behaving themselves. That being said, this reminds me a lot of "A Mouse's Long and Sad Tale". So happy I did get a bottle, but wishing I got more, so greedy that I am!! A lovely thing for the lab to do to commemorate 5 years!

Bottle: first blast: sugar and cream. Deeper inhale: APPLE!

Wet on Me: sugar vanilla cream over apples.

Drying Down: less sugar and cream now…mostly tart apple.

Dry: apple has mellowed a bit and now I smell the passionfruit(YUM) and the tonka and the taunting tease of carnation. Such a happy scent…for a happy forum!

Edited by Coldfire

as a fan of all things carnation this one isnt overly spicey it has a sweetness to it with the apple, sweet pea, and vanilla. applied its nothing but apple and sweet pea...all of the other notes withdraw to the background.

love this scent -- its pure apple on me and it will definately be on my wishlist.

Ooh, yummy, fruit salad with lots of apples (I know I grew up around *way* too many apples because I can taste and feel the texture of the exact apple variety I smell, but I can't quite put my finger on exactly which one. Gala, maybe? Criterion? It's one I don't like the taste and texture of, but it turns out that I *love* the smell) and whipped cream over, like, pound cake. Funny, though: I get sweet apple, not tart like others are getting. There's enough passionfruit and guava there to remind me of that canned tropical fruit salad my dad likes but I don't, although it turns out that, once again, I just dislike the taste/texture and like the smell.

As for how I'm wearing it, I mixed some in with unscented lotion, which gets applied frequently throughout the day at work because my hands are super dry, and I find myself wanting apple-heavy fruit salad and pound cake with whipped cream. I know there are supposed to be carnation and sweet pea in there, but I don't smell them, which is actually a good thing as far as I'm concerned. In short, this is everything I had hoped Cheshire Moon would be. I'm very relieved about this because I had ordered one bottle that hadn't arrived before it came down, and I decided to go for a second bottle just in case it was awesome, and, yep, good decision there.

(Now I just wish I could figure out a recipe for fruit salad that tastes like this smells!)

Edited by meaganola

Apple, apple, and more apple. Then creamy apple. Then vanilla apple. Then vanilla and a hint of sweet pea. Very pretty and girlish.

In the bottle: Vanilla cream like whoa. Then I get the sugar cane, followed by something light and fruity that may or may not be the apple.

On, wet: Still mainly vanilla, but I'm also smelling the guava and the apple. The vanilla is warm but not overly sweet -- it smells kind of like apple cobbler covered in french vanilla ice cream.

On, dry: Oh, well, it was so lovely when it was wet, but now that it's dried, I'm getting kind of a powdery spice thing going on. That's gotta be the carnation going bad on me. So sad, because I was really prepared to love this.

So weird....I'm not getting all of the apple that everyone else gets.....mainly I get cream (which I do love) and some fruit.....and a little sweet pea........the cream sticks around for a long time but the fruits fade on me.....overall a nice cheery scent!

In the bottle - pure love! Creamy fruits.

Wet - apple is the most prominent fruit for me and it's still beautiful.

But as it dries, it starts to smell odd, like some peanut based snack I can't remember the name of but really really hate. Musty peanuts. :cry2: Why did this happen? All the notes should have been fine on me... :evil:

On me, I am happy to say that Agape is like Love's Philosophy with fruit! It is soft and creamy and lovely with a hint of tangyness. Not much more to say about this one because it's rather simple in its loveliness! Glad I got to sniff a friend's bottle before this went down. I almost didn't bother because of the guava, but I'm glad to report that the guava is nowhere to be seen on me!

I get the cream note in the bottle, but on my skin it just goes POOF I guess, because this is apple and floral and nothing else. BPAL's apple note is just odd on me for some reason - it is too green and has a slightly bitter quality, rather than sweet or fruity. So I'm getting a green-ish apple scent backed by a girly floral. Very pretty, but I would have enjoyed it more if the cream note had stuck around on me :(

expectations-

I adore practically every Mad Tea Party scent- tea and cream and fruit love me, and I them! So seeing the alice imagery for agape made me see this as a continuation of the party~

Creamy fruit cups please~

bottle-

caramel! a darker golden cream, yum-foodier than I expected! nom nom-

wet-

mmm-fruit comes out, tart apple in there with 'fruit cup' fruits. a gorgeous desert, fresh fruit with cream drizzled over. sweat pea gives a light floral component, mostly that tasty cream caramel and apple/passionfruit/guava. lovely and fresh! lighthearted and joyful-certainly tea party attending gear.

drydown-

apple comes out a bit more, less sweet- a bit of spicy carnation (carnation is adds a complexity really in the blend.)

something a bit flat in there too- chalky. I recognize it and think it might be a skin chemistry oddity that happens with some 'cream' notes. but its quiet and not troublesome.

verdict--

so glad for a bottle to be in my clutches! I wonder how it will age? Will the cream take over?

Edited by dreadpiraterustypants2

Agape smells like a spicy orange creamsicle. I am not sure how one makes a spicy creamsicle, but BPAL managed it.

It's throw isn't the greatest. I have to have it really close to my nose to smell it. It morphs slowly into a bandage smell laced with orange juice. It is appealing though even if that combo doesn't sound good.

It ends on me, a sweet kind of orange-vanilla scent.

I would keep the bottle, if it would stay strong in scent. I put this on before I started this review and already most of the scent has faded into my skin.

I could see this used in a body wash or something where you would get the scent for about 5 minutes and then it would fade as you are putting on your perfume for the day.

By the way, the label on my bottle wasn't put on evenly. It's a minor thing, but I guess I expect more quality control from the Lab.

This is deeeeelicious. Absolutely delectable and gorgeous.

It's a slightly spiced apple drenched in creamy vanilla cream with a slight honeyed edge.

It's flirty, fun and girly without being too juvenile. I love this!

I looked at the description of this, and said, "Nah, that's too much fruit and flowers and sugar. It'll be terrible on me."

I AM SUCH A FOOL.

In the bottle: Vanilla cream, maybe carnation, and a little fruit. Yum!

Wet: POW, apple! Apple and vanilla cream. That is some all-American apple pie there, y’all. Actually, that is stunningly delicious.

Dry: There’s… *sniff* guava… and… *sniff* sweet pea… and *sniff* apple again… and *sniff* cream… this is a real morpher! It’s delicate and pretty, very playful, and juicy. Oh---and THERE'S my carnation!

Plus, it's one of the most thoughtful Forum Onlies ever (I had such :wub2: for Beth when I read the little message before the scent description!) and, come on, my forum skin is the Just Ask Alice! I think I need to hunt down a bottle.

I REALLY like this, and I’ll be busting out my decant this spring for sure. (I just tried on six scents at once, and washed all of them off but Agape... and I can't stop huffing! It's love!)

well now I finally now what people mean with sexy apples :wub3:

on mys kin there is a hell lot of carnation to smell aswell and sweet pea mixed with VANILLA CREAM :thud:

oh man! seriously good stuff (am I getting a foodie here?! :umm: )

I think it is passionfruit and guava that are making it sweet enough for me to love this

and very summerish!

also when I first got my bottle, the only thing I could smell from it and On me was tonka..

that was bad, now it is GORGEOUS!

Bottle: Tropical fruits, sweet pea and most of all sugared vanilla cream!

Wet: Still a fun, creamy tropical fruit. Very sweet! So far I love it.

Drydown: This so gorgeous. The carnation only takes a little while to come out and turn it in to a sweet, fruity and just a little spicy dream

Overall: I'm going to plow through this bottle over the spring and summer. Since I only started getting in to BPAL over the fall and winter, I don't have a whole lot of peppy summer scents, but this tropical cousin of Alice should fit the bill nicely

Once dry, this smells very like Beaver Moon (the first one) on me. A sweet cake smell. It's a little too sweet for me, actually.

This is exactly what I expected from the scent description, which I anticipated would be nice, but not, like, knock me on my ass fantastic, which is why I didn't pounce on it at the time. Soooo, yeah...pretty much! Bright, juicy green apple, guava, passionfruit, sweet pea, and a soft background of sweet cream. I get a lot of the apple and tropical fruit and just a tiny lil' hint o' vanilla cream. I was hoping that this blend would surprise me and be heavier on the cream note, like an apple and tropical version of Perilous Parlor, perhaps. Alas, no. But it is verah nice, indeed, and certainly a keeper. I will cherish my decant, though fortunately I don't think I'll have to go bottle hunting! :D

Hmm, this is practically a clone of Miller vs. California on me, minus the booze & paper bag. It's okay, but I'm glad I have a full bottle of Miller and just a decant of this.

All right, Agape. As long as we don't get a lot of sweet pea, we should have an interesting, fun time together. In the imp, it's guava. Ripe as hell guava. Add in a little pomegranate, and on me, this is like fruity punch. As it dries down, I can get a whiff of carnation—this is all right, carnation and me are buddies. I enjoy this tropical punch smell, though. It's seriously like what hawaiian punch would be like if it were more than like 5% juice! And had a carnation in it.

I'm a little disappointed in the fade time, it seemed to fade pretty quickly. Bright fruits do tend to fade quicker on me than some notes, and if all I was left with was the carnation after that, it makes sense. I'm going to pick a day and slather some on, though, and see if that changes things up at all.

I don`t know why I didn`t review it.. I`m a vanilla cream and fruit freak, and I do love apples, they never fail on me, so in this lovely blend they`re not disappointing: it`s a tart guava blast at the start with the apple jumping out from it and then the soft vanilla emerges, for few minutes before fading into a very light fruity trace on the skin. Yes, this oil burns fast, but it`s such a pleasure in the morning for a wake-up fresh and sweet!

Wet, in bottle: passionfruit, bubble gum, and strawberries and cream.

Dry: vanilla with a little fruit in the bg.

Overall its very, very sweet (about the same as Pink Phoenix) but nice.