Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
sarada

That! The Terror From Over There!

THAT! THE TERROR FROM OVER THERE!
A swarm of chittering greens, smooshy kiwi, and wasabi.

Yes, I'm a fan of green scents! Chittering greens? That makes me think of a glowing glob of protoplasmic green goo, which tastes faintly of sour apple and kiwi when I lick a glob that has fallen on my spacesuit. And yes, this smells quite like I imagined it would! Take the glowing, crisp, slightly sour melon/green fruit notes from thingsl ike 51 or Green Phoenix, but this is very crisp, plant-like, aloe-like with the round, squishy green fruit. I don't smell anything that resembles wasabi but there's a bit of a zing to this that I quite enjoy. A perfect green scent -- a fruit-bearing, man-eating monster plant; a glowing glob of alien goo; the lime green backdrop of an alien sky in an old Star Trek episode.

This is essentially a palate cleanser. It's like having a citrus sherbet in between courses.

I had on Butter Rum Cookie which is pretty heavy-duty gourmand and other BPAL's and this clears right through them.

It is wonderful. To think I almost passed on this.

It's somewhat astrigent without being "clean". It's fruity without being sweet or foody. It's sinus clearing without being mentholated. It's fresh without being ozone.

And as much as this is an enjoyable scent... it almost has no "substance". It's weightless, a disembodied specter of a scent.

KEEPER

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

This is really nice. It reminds me of 51 alot, but it's not the same. I definitely agree that there's an aloe-like element to it. Beautiful and fresh and green. Fruity but green fruity. And not soapy on my skin the way that Green Phoenix was.

I love it. It's getting to be winter now, so I'll probably put this in my box and ignore it for a while. But I expect I might wear it every single day once summer comes. :P

This is essentially a palate cleanser. It's like having a citrus sherbet in between courses.

I had on Butter Rum Cookie which is pretty heavy-duty gourmand and other BPAL's and this clears right through them.

It is wonderful. To think I almost passed on this.

It's somewhat astrigent without being "clean". It's fruity without being sweet or foody. It's sinus clearing without being mentholated. It's fresh without being ozone.

And as much as this is an enjoyable scent... it almost has no "substance". It's weightless, a disembodied specter of a scent.

KEEPER

I completely agree with this. It is definitely palate cleansing and doesn't leave a residual scent in your nose, if that makes any sense.

When I opened this I actually said "Wow!". It is that beautiful. It is grassy without any sharpness & fruity without being sweet or too tart. It is fresh and bright and cheerful. I am soooo happy I got a bottle and will most likely be getting a back up. :P I can see this being in heavy rotation this summer.

This was the real winner for me, a fresh sweet green note that didn't turn green peppery like A Blade of Grass. Very pleasant. The kiwi is not strong, but adds a pleasant fruit note to the grasses.

Very green.

Not unpleasant, husband doesn't mind it but wasn't overly complimentary. This a fresh smooshed fresh-green-fruits smell. No wasabi to be found anywhere.

Quick fade.

Edited by Lamia

That! The Terror from Over There!

Ooh, it's all kiwi deliciousness when wet. :P This is fantastic and I love it.

But wait. What's that? :D

Ow ow! Wasabi is stomping all over the sweet kiwi!

Ow ow! Wasabi is stomping all over my nose. :D

Oh oh! Wasabi is going directly to the trade pile. Do not pass Go; do not collect $200.

On me, this was almost perfumey-green at first, the way some green scents go on me. It was pleasant, but a little bit too perfumey for my tastes. After an hour at the chiropractor's office, I smelled my wrist again - and got a perfect kiwi scent, complete with the sort of tongue-tingling tart...spikiness? of the *flavor* of kiwi. It's awesome. I want to wear it again and look for that wasabi note, since I didn't really pick up on it and would actually really like it to be wasabi-y. I'm not sure how "me" it is but I'm going to hang onto my decant at least for now, just to enjoy that kiwi goodness. But yes, this one is definitely interesting and I recommend if you like fresh, green, and KIWITASTIC scents!

I like the idea of green smells, but they rarely transfer into perfume that I'll actually wear. Sniffing That! in the bottle, I was sure that this was going to be another failure for me. It has a high, sharp, soapy smell that makes me think of dryer sheets and green/fruity shampoo. It smells the way that the lab's bamboo note often smells to me.

On my skin, though, this actually smells wonderful. If I smell it up close, it smells soapy, but if I give the scent some breathing room, it sort of envelopes me a cloud of clean, green, fruity sweetness. It smells slightly grassy to me, but very wearable.

This makes me smell like I just came from a soapy shower, rolled around in a green meadow in a clean sundress, and smushed green fruits on myself. It's very nice and refreshing, and it makes me think of spring.

I really like The Terror From Over There!, and I wasn't expecting to care for it at all.

I'm not sure what the greens are but I definitely get a lot of kiwi out of this. Juicy, ripe kiwi, ready to be eaten.

Initially very fresh and although pleasant, not amazing. But this gets better and better after a few hours of wear and now I'm considering upgrading my decant to a full bottle! When dry and settled on skin, this develops a lovely perfumey quality - really quite sophisticated while still being really fresh.

oh WOW did I have high hopes for this one...

in the bottle and first applied, this is LOVELY fruity green, DELICIOUS, but as I'm sniffing, within about 10 seconds, it goes straight to wasabi. I forgot about it for a couple minutes and went back to sniff, and it's... morphed into green phoenix.

and now it's fading.

wait a minute, that's supposed to be kiwi? oh, I guess I can see how.. yeah maybe, with a good stretch of the imagination. if I sniff my skin, this mostly smells like a sour green phoenix. there was something about GP that was nauseating to me, something about the combination of artificial tropical fruit and bitter greens (in that case papaya and sage) and this one is similar enough to not be an exception (I think I'm also learning what people mean by "soapy"). however if I lightly sniff the throw, it's actually quite nice. I guess really the throw is what's important, right?

I'm gonna sit on my little testable sniffie of this stuff for a couple days to decide if I need more. I'll update this later...

eta: THERE'S the bitterness. I knew it'd show up eventually, this one just took a lot longer than usual. how sad, I was actually starting to enjoy it for a little while there.

Edited by tehriaz

The kiwi in this is glorious....fruity, fuzzy and green! But the greens....is that mint I am smelling :P...I do believe that it is :D and now here comes the wasabi... :D it just adds to the beauty of this scent by giving it a spicy/bitter note to it which keeps it from becoming too sweet. I do believe that I have found a new bottle to order! :D

I was a little wary of this one, greens are a hit or miss on me, with very few hits. The greens do dominate on me here, and I do get the amp of ozone from greens, which is why so few work on me. Too much like a lot of the CK scents. This one is a morpher though, and mint really tries to come out periodically, which is a good thing. I was hoping the kiwi would keep the greens in check, but so far I don't get any kind of fruit at all. I am wafting between the yummy minty phase and the yucky ozoney phase. I will definitely keep this for awhile, just got the bottle yesterday, so maybe it needs to settle. Hopefully the fruit will come out to play, but for now "That" is on the fence. I think this would be a great summer scent, I kind of get that vibe, (if it will start working on me, that is).

This is the one DD scent that I was the most interested in. It is so refreshing to slather to on a scent that screams summer, when you are buried in snow.

This is definitely a summer scent. It is green, and the presence of kiwi is remarkable. I love the smell of kiwi, but hate the taste of them, and so it really excites me that I can detect it. The wasabi gives That! a really unusual dimension. It takes the sweetness of the greens, kiwi, and the airy notes within and slaps them in the face.

This is everythign I was hoping for and more. Bright, airy, sweet greens with kick.

In the bottle: bright and green, slightly herbal, smooshed kiwi and a breath of wasabi

On me and wet, it's still a bright, herbal green, the kiwi's not really there nor is the wasabi. On the dry-down the kiwi comes through.

In general, it's a bright, happy, day-time scent.

I have fallen in love :heart: That! has become my new work scent. It is a fresh, clean scent that gives me an boost in energy and emotion every time I get a whiff. I was attracted by the scent description but erred on the side of caution and searched for a decant instead of just buying a bottle. Now it appears the DD has sold out of That! and I must start stalking the forums for a bottle. If you love green scents this is just perfect!

in vial: fresh, sweet, light, exquisite!

wet: Oh! so lovely. Don't know that I have smelled anything like this one before. I smell green but more like a green floral than harsh greens. The kiwi is noticed, light and fresh. This is just a really lovely, unusual scent. So glad I tried it. The notes sounded scary to me.

Dry: This gets lighter but does not change much. Still very lovely and to my nose similar to 51.

This one definitely has that green/sour melon note from 51 and Green Phoenix. I love how cool and fresh it is without being a straight up ozone or aquatic. There's this mildly grassy note to it ---- like the fresh watery shoots of something. Very cool. Very refreshing.

This would be a great summer scent!

My first experience with wasabi was many years ago when there was a big glob of it in the corner of my take-away Japanese food. Being somewhat uneducated in the ways of Japanese food at the time, I thought it was avocado, and since I love avocado I scooped up the whole big glob and put it in my mouth. I soon found out it wasn't avocado...

So, after having nearly blown my head off in that encounter, I am very wary of wasabi these days. Also, the "green" side of BPAL is an area I have never ventured into, but the "chittering greens" and "smooshy kiwi" sounded so delectable that I just had to give That! a try. And I'm so glad I did!!

This is a beautiful blend, clean and fresh - definitely green, and slightly sweet (I get that 'melon' hint that others have mentioned, but definitely not lemon or lime), really bright and lovely. The weird thing is, when I wear it during the day it's not as sweet and I can really smell (or sense) the wasabi.. but at night, it's all about the greens and kiwi fruit. It stays on my skin for ages, and I've also discovered that this lingers on my clothing for ages too - it smells absolutely beautiful on fabric. I think it would also make a gorgeous room and/or linen spray.

For something so scary sounding, this isn't scary at all. If you're a bit on-the-fence about That!, I'd say give it a go - hopefully you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

That! The Terror From Over There!

In the imp: sharp kiwi and crisp greens. Not as bitter as other stem/grass greens.

Wet on skin: a blend of green notes ranging from grass to mint to lime! Along with kiwi and a hint of spice (wasabi?)

Dry: this smells very citrus-y on me, actually, a bitter green citrus like unripe grapefruit (or yuzu) blended with bergamot and lime. It’s bright and zingy! Underneath it I smell cut stems and grasses. This is the questionable side of the ‘greens’, this could turn soapy but for now it behaves. The scent also tingles coolly on the skin, which to me indicates the presence of mint. there’s also some ginger. I’m not sure what wasabi smells like so maybe it’s that, or there’s also some ginger? It reminds me of a bitter, greener version of Hungry Ghost Moon actually. The kiwi in here is not sweet, it is a sharp scent. I also smell something reminiscent of 51 and Pollution, I think this is green musk.

After a while: hmm, interesting. This has gone all sweet and floral! More floral than sweet, I must say. Like wet wildflowers, wet from rain or dew, among thick grasses. The citrus and mint, as well as the gingery spice, have calmed, the kiwi, fresh crisp musk, and floral-green notes remain. It does seem to veer into almost soapy territory now, and reminds me of Green Phoenix, but this one’s a little bit nicer than GP. But then the scent moves between pleasant green musk and soap and I’m not sure what to make of it.

Verdict: I liked this quite a bit at first, it smelt like a bright, vivid green mixture, almost a luminous or unearthly green at times, but with plant-like notes too like leaves and stems, as well as mint, and citrus (quite a lot of it) and also the kiwi and wasabi. The drydown was a little disappointing and it turned a bit soapy-flowery, and developed a not so pleasant bitterness. From trying Nostrum Remedium, I think it is the wasabi doing the soap thing, and that this note doesn’t like me much. Shame really, because I love the name and saying it loud, in a kind of cheesy-horror movie style manner!

Emoticon rating: :huh?:

Is it a keeper? Not really.

If you like this, try: 51, Green Phoenix, Envy, Pollution, Hungry Ghost Moon, Night Gaunt, Nostrum Remedium

wet:green but perfumey. Wet reminds me of a tiki like opuhi kind of note that must be the kiwi.

Dries to a green floral. Fresh but medium strong. I never knew wasabi could be in a scent..i guess I can smell it with my imagination. There is an undertone of it beneath the floral..it smells like heat and mustard. weird.

I would have to say that this is a wearable green scent and probably more suited for spring. and since it's snowing here right now, i think i will retest this when the weather gets better! overall rating is a 3 out of 5.

In the bottle: Green, zesty, fruity! Lots of kiwi (smells a lot like sour apple), and maybe some grassy type green notes. It's spicy/zingy, but not in a way that makes me think of wasabi.

Wet: Mmmm, kiwi! To me, the zingy scent seems to be the kiwi as well, not wasabi. It's sweet, but not overly. Plenty of tartness to keep it fresh. I think there's some dandelion as well as grass.

Dry: More floral as it dries. There's a smoothness that suggests aloe to me. There's a sharp, musky scent that MUST be green musk (and I get the 51 likeness, also a likeness to Serpents).

Later: The florals have a soapy tinge that I fear. Maybe the actual culprit is grey amber, which goes predictably perfumey-floral and soapy on me? Kiwi greatly faded. Also, one of the greens is spearmint!

Summary: Zesty, sweet-tart kiwi, light spearmint, slightly sharp green musk, a bit of grass and dandelion and a dash of slightly perfumey-soapy grey amber. Unisex. Good throw & longevity.

This started out smelling like beautiful green meadows and the pulp of a kiwi fruit. Then the wasabi says HAI really strongly for a few minutes, nose tingling and peppery!

I dries down to a lovely green smell, clean without smelling soapy or like dryer sheets, and though it has wonderful throw, it still retains a sense of delicacy.

Bottle: I can definitely smell the wasabi. In fact, it's almost all wasabi. But I love that. Ever since the Villainess body scrub of the same name, I've been intrigued by this amazing note. And then to hear BPAL did one? *swoon*

Wet: That lovely wasabi-in-a-bottle has turned into kiwi. And lots of kiwi. Thankfully, I adore kiwi so my nose is glued to my wrist.

Dry: The spiciness peeks out just a tiny bit, adding some depth to this kiwi scent. It's so green. That's really the only way to put it. A little bit of musk is in there too, I think, because I'm getting a that sense. It's an absolutely lovely combination and I think I'm hopelessly addicted and in love.

Definitely a 5/5 bottle for me!