Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

On Darkness

An embrace: black poppy, lavender, thick black incense, black amber, rose geranium, Brazilian rosewood, and benzoin.

On Darkness is so lovely - I also get a fruity, almost plummy vibe from this oil with a lavender kick and the incense note. I need at least one bottle :P

Very dark (hello opium poppy), floral (that must be the rose), and sparkling (an almost citrus note, but it is the lavender instead). I know opium poppy is a winner on me, but I had some doubt on rose and lavender... I must admit those tree notes work together very well!

Lavender and poppy are the strongest notes right off the bat, but the other flowers join in after a bit for a dark floral arrangement corralled by amber. This is a floral mix that I really like - I'm usually not too big on heavily floral blends - that calls up embroidered satin corsets and long skirts. I might consider a bottle of this one, if only to have something so *different* from my usual likes.

On Darkness is a crazy morpher on me! Upon first application, it's super-super-soapy, and then as it dries it goes to a pungent geranium/rosewood and then finally to dark fruity floral loveliness. I agree with the previous reviewers: there is a distinct plummy thing going on. I can barely smell the lavender -- a good thing, I normally amp lavender till it's all I can smell.

I'm completely completely in love.

I've had my decant of On Darkness for more than a week, and I admit I've been avoiding it. Black poppy, black amber, black incense, rose geranium, and rosewood, ALL had the potential to turn this into powder, soap, or just plain weirdness. Well, why did I even want to try it, right? Something about the description just called to me in a way that I couldn't resist. I'm so glad I trusted my intuition on this one. This scent is just beautiful! Very sultry and seductive, purple, deep and dark, slightly fruity. After I had it on for a few hours, and nothing turned on me, I just knew that this will be my scent for New Year's Eve. It seems just right for a slightly more formal occasion.

I get a slightly similar feel from Lurid, but this is much more wearable for me, and more unisex. In fact, on the 'gender scale' (if there is such a thing), this falls pretty much right in the middle, in the best possible way. I will definitely be buying a bottle of this before it goes away. After my disappointment with some other Yule scents, I was so happy to fall for this one!

Wet this is sweet and soapy florals. It reminds me of Jean Nate perfume. It's a bit sharp too. When first on this is a bit floral and lavender and not as sweet as in the wet stage. After just a few seconds it fades dramatically- weird. It has almost no scent! In another minute it warms back up and the amber develops. This doesn't change much more on me. It's a nice floral and amber blend. I don't really get any incense from this. It's nice but not a stunner for me.

In the decant, this smells rich with benzoin.

On my skin, it changes completely into a cool, almost refreshing geranium/rosewood scent. Strange. I want to say this is primarily floral, but I can't quite, even though I expected incense and amber. On Darkness is definitely one of the stranger scents I've come across, and this is one of the vaguest reviews I've ever done. I can't describe it well.

I thought it smelled chemical in the imp - sort of pine, although not quite. Must have been the benzoin. I wasn't going to try it at all, to tell you the truth. The smell completely put me off - pine and a hint of cleaning fluid? Ick!

As fate would have it, while opening the imp, I got a smear on my thumb. Never being one to waste oils, I spread it over the back of my wrist (the front still having the last, lingering candy-drift of Jailbait on it).

Wet, it's...weird. Benzoin still, and...other things. And then in the drydown...

ROSES. OMG. ROSES LIKE I NEVER EVER GET THEM. NO POWDER AT ALL AND NO OTHER SCENTS LAYERING IT. MUST. HAVE. BOTTLE.

*ahem*

Ten minutes later, there's a fruity note in there, too. I can't tell what, but I'm willing to go with plummy, as others have said. It's still sweet on my skin, and quite strong.

This one is definitely a morpher, and if people are hesitating over trying it because of the smell from the vial, then try it anyway. But for a smear of oil on my thumb, I wouldn't be hankering after this stuff. Because OMG ROSES.

This was soooo not what I was expecting :P It starts out barely there and then WHOMP! It blossoms into this rich, dark purple scent of berries, a hint of woods, winter air, and a sweet incence with some spice. It really smells like wandering into a winter forest and stumbling across the elves from The Hobbit having their Solstice celebration. Very complex on me and an absolutely gorgeous holiday scent. It's so full-bodied compared to Lines Among the Euganean Hills that's hanging out on my other arm for comparison. Pretty amazing. I don't think I need a bottle, but I'll clutch my imp in a tight grip.

Wet it is green and almost rosey, like the leaves all crushed up with fresh lavender and tickily poppy...big throw, fresh and wet and living. Dried out it is a different scent completely: creamy, fruity, and soft. It reminds me of Lurid and Black Lace together. Got a bottle unsniffed for DH and we both love it!

Edited by lookingglass

I bought a bottle unsniffed after reading all the rave reviews--this is one I never would have gone near based on the notes alone. And now it's my favorite BPAL. Ever.

In the bottle: Deep, velvety lavender and poppy with incense; this reminds me of Midnight Mass for some reason (probably because of the aforementioned incense).

Wet on skin: Delicious incense-y florals (well-blended lavender and poppy) are joined by deep amber and wood

Dry on skin: Just as the scent description says, this blend is an embrace, an enveloping friendly darkness.

Sexy, classy, smoky and utterly unique. If I had to stick to one scent for the rest of my life, this would be it.

I had some reservations about On Darkness - I don't like lavender and floral incense is a scent category that usually turns out smelling rotten on me, but it sounded "me" and was getting good reviews, so I added it to my Xmas wish list. I'm so glad I did. This is beautiful. I agree with the person above who mentioned Black Lace, since it has the same dark, moody, Victorian feel as BL, but with a floral component instead of vanilla. I also agree with those mentioning a fruity element, which is delicious and unexpected. The only problem I have with OD is that it goes slightly powdery on me. Hopefully aging will take care of that. In the meantime, if you're considering a bottle of On Darkness, go ahead and do it. Even if it doesn't work, I have a feeling this will be quite sought after once the Yules come down.

4/5

I bought this for the lavender, amber, and benzoin, well, and the name...

I totally love this one! It smelled sharp in the bottle to me and didn't seem to do much when I tried it on the first time. Disappeared pretty quick. So I took it to work and tried it on a little more heavily, and WOW! I expected my nearest coworker to complain as she is allergic to everything, but she hasn't reacted so far. I've been reapplying it about five hours later and it seems to amp up even more. It can certainly handle the volume, air currents and various other odors in the warehouse.

The scent does change from a sharp herbal/floral in the bottle to a thick, syrupy, but not overly sweet on my skin.

I'm finding it to be fun trying to figure out what's going to change on me and what isn't.

Oh...gods, this is beautiful. So pretty, that even this brief sniff that I'm indulging in to reacquaint myself with the scent is bringing tears to my eyes.

The lavender, geranium, and (I believe) the benzoin mingle to create a heady, floral scent that is clarifying, instead of being cloying; it is *almost* medicinal, but without any sort of nasty astringency to it. It's more like a scent you'd expect to find in an old-fashioned sachet. Beneath these, the poppy creates a soft, caressing sweetness; and even though I don't get oodles of the black amber and black incense, there is *something* there that creates a very dark sort of tone; so that even though there are those head-clearing notes atop, there is also a sense that this perfume is bottomless, that you could get drawn into it forever and ever. It is deliciously moody and dark and beautiful.

Definitely worthy of a bottle.

Initial thoughts-> I'm not quite sure what to expect from this at all. Possibly a smokey lavender?

imp-> The lavender is obviously dominating, but there is something underneath that I can't pin down that is sweetening it up and adding a smokey flavor to it.

wet-> The lavender goes a bit sour on, which is usually doesn't on me. I can definitely detect the black poppy and rose geranium. The incense is adding a smokey feel to it. Very nice after the intial sourness.

after a while-> It seems like the lavender could actually be the deal breaker in this one, which quite surprises me. Lavender usually works beautifully on me. It's not as sour as before, but is definitely remaining quite tart.

after an even longer while-> the lavender finally softens down, and this is a soft and slightly smokey scent. Gorgeous. Will definitely be keeping my decant, but due to the long sour phase in the middle I probably won't be getting a bottle.

I bought this unsniffed, even though lavender usually turns into shrill, screaming soap on me - I was hoping that the incense would dampen it down a bit. I got very lucky, as this worked out just that way - although the lavender starts out strong, after it dies down, it and the carnation just add the most subtle sweetness to this intoxicating blend of poppy, amber, and incense (all of which my skin really likes). The drydown is uniquely smoky and gentle-smelling...it's a very come-closer, complex scent. A gorgeous change of pace for me. Love it.

This one surprised me. It was a light, white floral with fruity overtones. I definitely got the lavender and the geranium - but was surprised at how 'non-dark' this blend was on me.

Very pretty, very youthful. I think it was the fruity overtones. :D

Hmm, I just don't know about this one yet..I love lavender and incense, but the mix with the other notes just seems "wrong". There is a sourness about this blend, maybe the geranium (?), but I definitely see the potential. As I'm typing it seems to be settling down, and turning into something very mysterious and dark, kind of florally and definitely feminine. There is a note in this, that I absolutely love, but I can't really identify it. That being said, I don't know if this is "me" quite yet, but I haven't written this one off.

eta: Thirty minutes after applying, this has turned into a spicy, incensy, dark fruity blend, just like I'd hope it would when I seen the description. I will definitely hang onto this baby now!!

Gah another edit. It's now been 4 hours, and this is the most smokiest, sultry blend I've tried. The benzoin made an appearance, and it brings a vanilla-y creaminess along with the plummy incense. I would imagine a gypsy fortune teller smelling something like this. This may even make my top ten.

Edited by milo

Hm, lavender and something dark. Thankfully, the lavender isn't overpowering in this at all. I can smell it, but it's not overly strong, and it's that lovely smooth kind of lavender that smells sort of blue. Rosewood is always a favorite note for me, and I like this entire combination. It's smells sweet and calming, to me. The darkness that was there in the beginning is not so noticeable when it's dry; the whole scent turns playful but is still grounded in a dark-ish foundation.

This perfume is shaping up to be one of my favorites from Yule 08, and I'm a little surprised about that but very happy to find a lavender perfume I can wear.

Edited by filigree_shadow

On Darkness

In the imp: this smells of sweet fruity lavender musky incense.

Wet on skin: this is glorious. It smells like fruity lavender and berries (huh?) with incense resins.

Dry on skin: now I smell beautiful geranium! I love geranium, and this smells strongly of it with it’s rich rose-herbal tones. It’s blended with lavender and benzoin and a hint of rosewood. Underneath I smell the amber and resins. This seems to have almost blackcurrant like nuances, as well as a kinship with Penumbra, Event Horizon and the Emathides. It also reminds me of a non-BPAL scent: NA’s Gold Isis-it’s probably the lavender and benzoin. This is much darker though. This scent evokes a deep rich purple.

After a while: hmm, not sure if I love this as much now. There are some odd things in this scent that seem to distract me from the loveliness. Something in here smells like overripe fruit? A bit like berries that are a little too ripe-possibly strawberries. Another thing I get a lot of in here is a burning smell. Not a pleasant incense burning smell or a full on vetiver burning smell, but a bitter charred wood smell, or something like charred flower stems. I think it’s the opium-not all opium notes do this but some do. Or maybe it’s a component in the black incense-it reminds me of the one myrrh note from BPAL that I didn’t agree with. it also reminds me of Black Lotus. It’s a little less sweet and more complicated. I do love what the lavender, geranium and sweet benzoin are up to in here.

This seems to waver between smelling burnt, smelling like overripe strawberries, and a luscious blend of lavender and amber. but it’s a bit muddled on me.

Verdict: I had high hopes for this-pretty much every note in here should work. I was expecting a wonderful dark sultry resinous lavender scent. but sadly, it didn’t quite work out. I loved the wet stage, a geranium-lavender scent with a delightful resinous undertone and a hint of something almost fruity. It smelt as dark and intriguing as I hoped. But as the scent developed, it went oddly burnt (and not in a good way) and I got something almost like overripe fruit or even strawberries. I still could smell lavender and amber and incense, but I think that maybe the rosewood or something in the black incense, or maybe the opium, made this one a bit incoherent on me. I think I’ll stick with the likes of Emathides, Event Horizon etc when I want dark purple-tinged incense.

Emoticon rating: :huh:

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Moon of the Terrible, Event Horizon, Emathides, Penumbra, Lunar Eclipse, Darkness, Black Lotus, Lurid

Every now and then you let a scent slide and then regret not stockpiling. On Darkness is one of my regrets. This scent is bold and beautiful. It goes on sweet and dries spicy. There is a hint of fruitiness in the background.

I love On Darkness. Want more. Lots more.

BPAL On Darkness: An embrace: black poppy, lavender, thick black incense, black amber, rose geranium, Brazilian rosewood, and benzoin.

It reminds me a lot of Lush's Black Magic massage bar - the rose geranium sets it off. I can smell a hint of lavender - but it's buried behind a smooth, dark floral. I THOUGHT I didn't like wood as a note - guess I was wrong. Glad I picked up a bottle - Thanks Tramp! ;)

on darkness is a really rich, luxurious dreamy scent...it's got a headiness from the poppy, and combined with the lavendar it creates a woozy, druggy feeling...like sleepy moon, it feels a bit hypnotic. it does feel dark purple, and a bit sour at times from the geranium and rosewood, but i like this bitter edge. a little drop is enough, as this is powerful on me - the black amber and incense creates a wafting cloud that threatens to become cologne-y, but somehow stays under control. this is becoming a big favorite of mine.

I'm usually not really into florals - they get too perfumey on me, and they're not really "me." That said, I was intrigued by On Darkness because of the presence of the black incense. And I'm glad I got my hands on an imp! As I suspected, the incense and wood keep this from being too floral for me - instead, I get a dark, rich, sweet scent. There's a fruitiness, but it's like a jewel-toned berry hiding among the leaves and petals.

Poppy and I seem to have a turbulent relationship. I expected to love this, and on my skin, it went very perfumey. Probably the most like department store perfume counter I have ever smelt on myself. I felt just uncomfortable wearing it. This was smoky and floral, but I just couldn't pull it off.