Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pekeana

Nine Mysteries

When this first goes on, Holy Mint, Batman! After a few minutes the mint calms down, and more of an herbal scent comes out. It smells like walking through an herb garden. I don't usually wear mint or green scents, but I am really liking this one. It doesn't turn sour on me like some other green scents do. It's pure and clean. I think I would like to wear this on a spring day, or another day where I want to have a nice clean feeling. I almost smell a hint of lavender, but I am not sure if that is my imagination. (It smells more like lavender stems than lavender blossoms.) This is how I wanted Chypre to smell on me (but it didn't).

I am at the point that i don't want to try the unreleased anymore :D :D

Again I have fallen in love and this is not an quick crush but a hearthbreaking one OMG what a nice scent this is. It's how I hoped Snow white to smell like, or Frost Moon. It's minted flowers, but a lot of sweet mint that is not fading so quick as in frost moon. It stays creamy mint when dried down

Really, as soon i i seen it released there is a 10 ml order. Just hope the formulation does not change... fingers crossed and praying :P

ETA: if there is a little point what can be improved it must be its' lastabilities'

It's very very soft and lasted about 30 mins on my skin

Edited by quinkel

Nine Mysteries - No Lab description

Minty, minty, minty. As it develops, I get what I can only identify as a tea scent underneath--like peppermint herbal tea. I like this a lot. It's very soothing. I hope this becomes available soon, it seems perfect for stress relief.

Nine Mysteries - as I am typing I can smell the minty freshenss of this scent, it has even cleared my sinuses - but an evil side is begining to make its olfactory presence known.

Violets.....followed by soap.

ew. :D

My high school algebra teacher always wore violet perfume and I have never been able to wipe that olfactory memory from my brain. I blame violets (and her) for my complete failure in that class - it must have been the violet perfume! I was violet addled!

I am still hopefully waiting for Nine Mysteries to enter into the coconut or even the dark stage other posters have spoken about. But so far it is just peppermint and violets.

If it doesn't morph soon I am going to have to go wash it off and because of the disasterous numerical connection - I hope I don't have to add any columns of numbers up today. I am in a violet funk. :P

Sorry.....off to the swap pile! :D

My nose is a bit off due to allergies, but this actually helped a bit clearing my sinuses up. The mint is very strong in this one.

At first sniff and wet, this oil reminds me of Peppermint stick ice cream. Cold, and very sweet. Something begins to peek out once on the skin, however. A floral of some sort. I'm smelling violets. This is a rather pleasant surprise.

Dry: the peppermint fades into the background and this opens up into a nice, violet-y floral. I still detect a note of sweet here, like a sugary smell. Perhaps this is the coconut people were talking about, but I'm getting more vanilla or brown sugar. Something a bit...dark-sweet. Maybe it's a musk note mixing with a sweet, darkening it up a bit.

2 hrs later...this scent has morphed into a soapy-clean smell with a hint of mint. It's a strange morph, much like WoND, only this was even more "clean". Not expected, but ah well, it was nice for a bit. Don't think I'll be purchasing a bottle, but I'll try the imp again once I'm feeling better.

I got this in a swap with clover. Thank you! :P

Hi mint! Nice to see you today! It's nice and bright without being overwhelming.

Then I smelled flowers. The mint disappeared and a soft floral came out.

And then...fade to baby powder.

This scent certainly was mysterious. It's very nice, but I wish it would last longer before turning into a powdery scent.

I'm anxious to try this again to see if it morphs in a different way.

in the bottle- (gags) mint and eucalyptus

wet- mint! it burns! AAAAAAH! -scrubs arm clean-

uhm...yeah.....into the swap pile for you, evil imp!

Keep in mind, I don't have the advanced sniffers most of you seem to possess, but here's my thoughts.

Lavender/Violet/Herby/Minty/Biting

It's very bright and biting, but pleasant. I like it (I like *most* BPAL scents). I could see myself wearing this while in a serene mood and just chilling.

Also, I have no idea if it has mint/lavender/or violets. After putting it on, I noticed it smelled a *leetle* like Veil and I know Veil has violets, so... :P

These are the extent of my reviewing capabilities for this scent.....

All in all, a very nice, calming, unique scent.

Thank you lab, for this lovely freebie! :P

In the bottle and wet: Mintmintmint. I can tell there's something else under that, but the mint is so cold and clear that it cuts right into my nose and overpowers everything else.

Drying: still minty, but now there is that creamy sweetness others have mentioned around the edges of where I applied. If I get the center right under my nose, I still get that chilly stab of mint. Definitely some flowers around the edges as well. The mint does seem to be calming fairly quickly, though.

Dry: Still a lot of mint on me. If I try really hard to tell myself "no, you don't smell mint, what else do you smell?" I get hints of a warm sweetness. Lotus or lily, lavender, something slightly creamy and buttery... But the main impression is still mint.

This will be great for days when I'm feeling stuffy ar sluggish and need to clear my head. Probably not an everyday sort of scent for me, though.

ETA Wait, wait... now there's a bit of grapefuit peeking through, and quite a bit less mint. Possibly a hint of bergamot?

Edited by emmacrew

First Impression: Minty vapors.

Second Impression: The peppermint vapors are so strong that it's hard to tell what's underneath. After awhile I'm starting to pick out that candy sweetness that I get in some of the floral Voodoo Blends like Lobban, Follow Me Boy, Crucible of Courage etc. It may be ylang ylang, but only Beth knows for sure.

Final Analysis: A very unusual scent, but nice, I like it.

Quinkel let me try this one :P

Wet: mint toothpaste. It even tastes like toothpaste.*

Dry: O yes, this is beautiful. Minty, with this soft.. herbs? flowers? A gentle musk? Something ambergis-ish? I don't know, but it's fresh soft an beautiful and perfect for spring.

*Popped on the imp lid a little too quickly and some drops splurted around, straight into my mouth... in case you were wondering.

Not sure how I got Nine Mysteries, but I got it!

When it goes on it is all yummy mints and flowers initially. A touch of green and softness. I cannot determine specific floral notes -- some descriptions mention lotus, others lavendar. I just don't know.

After a few minutes … yowch! It has a tingling sensation that lasts for hours. Tested on the crook of my arm, which is a sensitive area. The upside is that should prove very cooling on a hot day.

After several hours, the mint is less pronounced. The scent is nice and light. It doesn't fade entirely.

Nine Mysteries is a very spring-y summer-y scent. I'm looking forward to using my imp during the hottest weather. It'll be perfect.

ETA: With the latest wearing the SO immediately pronounced it melon-y. It does have some element of cuke or some such as well. And violets. Doink! I had a violet-scented doll back in the Dark Ages and yup, that's been evoked.

ETA Part Deux: It's come to my attention that this oil is for ritual use rather than for use as a scent. The description: Aids in overcoming all domestic and financial woes and is frequently used to bless the home or business. I'm not adding the description for any reason other than that it seems to have been lacking when this thread was started. Had I known this was for ritual use, I would not have used it for any other purpose. And, had I known it, I would have busted it loose and used it like crazy during my own domestic and financial woes.

Edited by yellowrose

In the bottle: Smells like a few different types of mint and some eucalyptus.

I would love it if it stayed like this, but......

Wearing: The mint is really strong at first, but begins to fade quickly, the eucalyptus aspect also seems to leave, and in it's place arrives what really seems to be the sweet aquatic floral that the dreaded LOTUS turns into on me. I catch little hints here and there of other elements (violets perhaps as others have mentioned, and something a bit dark and woody - maybe a tiny bit of vetiver?), but overall this ends up a lot like Undertow on me.

I LOVE mint scents but have yet to find the right bpal version for me (fingers totally crossed for Tulzscha!).

Edited by wolfie13

I got Nine Mysteries in a swap,

It is beautiful mint, with the slight touch of flowers. I really like this scent, but unfortunately it only lasts a few hours on me. I like the idea of mint as a perfume, I really do, but... in practice it comes closer to being a very sweet smelling walking breath-mint.

I have a feeling I'll only use this imp when I really feel like it, most likely when I have the opportunity to enjoy it all on my own.

This one was a surprise with a swap. The peppermint was so strong that you could smell it thru the vial. I really couldnt detect anything past the mint, it was so overpowering.

In the Vial: Spearminty. I don't smell the lotus in the Vial

Wet on the Skin: Mint with a hint of Lotus. They're fighting for control.

Drydown: Mmmm... Really good, it's Lotus, with Mint... Oh this is yummy!

Conclusion: This is really nice. I really like it and the Lotus is apparant, and it's just... Really nice. If they make this permanent I'd like to get at least another imp, maybe a bottle. Normally I'm not a mint-loving girl, but, I love Nine Mysteries!

In bottle: A very sharp, medicinal mint. It is not so much like candy canes or a sweetened mint as it is a toothpaste sort of mint. Clearly, beneath the mints there is a bit of a floral note.

On me: On the skin the scent instantly turns greener. The mint is still as strong, but it has changed and violets have blossomed into the oil. Oddly enough, the violets fade away as the oil dries and I'm left with a scent that is still predominantly mint but a citrus -almost a grapefruit - left behind.

Origins - imp received in a swap

Wet - mint, probably spearmint, and fruit. There seems to be a citrus fruit, possibly grapefruit, and something else, soemthing juicy.

Dry - the mint goes away quickly, it's all fruit and lotus now. Whatever the fruit is, it's something I don't like. I am leaning towards apricot. There could be violets. Oh yeah, here come the violets now. Have I mentioned that I hate violets? Let's review, some of my least favorite notes are violets, apricots, grapefruit and lotus; this is everything I dislike in one bottle! I would never wear this, however, I got it for it's magical uses, not to wear as a perfume.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 1. Please note that I am only rating the scent and not the efficacy.

In the bottle: This smells green and sharp and slightly astringent. I don't detect any obvious notes. No mint, nothing.

Wet: It is a soft sweet floral fragrance that is annoyingly familiar but still no notes that I can identify.

Dry: I now know why this is so familiar, it's violets- not perfume or even the flower but the smell of old fashioned Parma Violet sweets (candies). Exactly! as if Beth had crushed them as the base for this. Candied violets. And this is the way it stays on my skin until it fades completely

Overall: This is not a fragrance I would wear all the time, but it is comforting and evocative of my childhood. One to keep for sleepless or stressful nights.

EDIT: On trying it again I can now really detect the mint alongside the violet, but nothing else. Can't wait for the description.

Edited by ellemir

In the bottle: so minty...like peppermint but not sweet like the candy. It's a little overwhelming. I got a bit on my thumb when I took a sniff, and that was enough. All I can smell is a sharp mint. There may be a hint of floral underneath, but the mint is so strong that you can barely detect it.

9mysteries.jpg

Mint and violet, a very pretty combination. I put it on my skin which tingled strongly for over an hour, so you might want to use it in an oil burner or to scent a candle rather than put it on your hide.

It was very strong and long lasting, and if it draws and keeps good fortune as forcefully as it smells, you're in business!

Edited by olympia301

Yay for frimps!

Hmmmm I needed a little boost today so this was a great choice. Out of the imp it smelled very insistently pepperminty, as others have noted. As it begins to dry I smell a tart fruitiness to it- like a melon, almost. It's blending with the mint in a very interesting way.

It's still tingling my nose when I sniff my wrist. Yum! I do smell orange... or is it grapefruit... or is it melon... in there. Fruity mint, which sounds gross when I say it, but I'm oddly enjoying it.

As it dries I can smell a touch of violet in the peppermint and tart fruit. It's getting sweeter, while still minty. It gets a little soapy on me as time passes, without losing it's other notes. It's still pleasant.

Overall it's kind of like what happens when I accidently mix peppermint and grapefruit essential oils in my burner.

I was very lucky to get a frimp of this in my last order, I'm very grateful :P

In the bottle:

Very strong mint and what smells like a touch of eucalyptus

On me:

This is WAY minty, which is a big yay from me, because I love love love mint scents. I swear I'm smelling a touch of eucalyptus too, because there is just the faintest breath of something herbally and earthy and medicinal that is grounding this mint and keeping it from becoming candy like. I think I'm smelling a little bit of lotus in there too, because there is a very slight bubblegummy note in the background, and I don't like lotus, but this is so barely there that I don't mind. There is something else here, a little bitter, musky and sweet at the same time. It's very hard to tell, I can't really describe this scent aside from that unfortunately, but I do like it.

Final note:

Mint is definitely the main note in this, so if you don't like mint - you're probably not going to like this. But it is a very refreshing, and yet dark scent. Lovely!

Oh! Wonderfully tantalizing mint in the imp. =) I could sit and sniffle this one for hours.

As I wear it, the mint quickly sinks away. First I get notes of a lemon thymeish scent (not lemon or thyme, but leamon thyme itself), then straight lemon. More herbal notes came out next, and by mid day I was left with what seemed to be a morph of freshly aired linens. =)

I really liked it alot- the scent shifts are a fun surprise as the day goes on. I really wish it would retain that straight up spearmintish note. I suppose I can just use it in a scent locked for that or the lamp ring. :P

Thanks to the lab for the kickass freebie!

This was a lovely surprise in my latest order!

In the bottle it was MINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! screaming at me in a loud, cold voice. It smells just like those swirly peppermint hard candies or a big peppermint stick you'd get at Christmas. I'm not a minty person at all, so this isn't boding well.

It smells exactly the same wet on the skin, but with a slightly creamy undertone that softens it up a bit. Still very cold & crisp, but not quite as harsh. I still don't think I can handle it, though. My eyes are starting to water.