Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pekeana

Nine Mysteries

I got this as an extra imp to my order and I want more.

OMG! I am in love with this scent! It smells like soft peppermint, and something else that I can't quiet place, somthing soft, like a lily. A very clean and refreshing scent that awakens your senses. A good pick me up for your gloomiest day. I am in heaven. It makes you feel like your walking in a field of flowers with some mint near by.

On me: It goes into this wondeful musk scent after a few minutes. And it slowly fades away.

Wet Nine Mysteries is indeed very minty. Although applied to my wrist I can feel my breath as slightly cool from breathing in the scent. During dry down there was a short lived orange scent, not that of the fruit but rather like a chocolate orange. After dry down it is still minty, though not nearly as much as at first. It also has a substantial floral component, which comes across to me as mostly violet, although I am fairly sensitive to violet in general. I like this one, but the violets would keep me from wearing it. For now I will stick with Mad Hatter as my favorite "minty"scent.

Preconceived notions:

First off, I'd like to say that Nine Mysteries was a complete surprise based on what I'd expect from something with that name. I would have expected something resiny and comforting like Cathedral. This is the antithesis of whatI would have imagined going by name alone.

First sniff:

This reminds me a lot of Ultraviolet. There's the same minty softness to it, but this is slightly sharper and brighter, if that makes sense. Ultraviolet puts me in mind of the first crocus of spring peeking through the melting show. Nine Mysteries somehow puts me in mind of drinking a glass of orange juice while sitting on the deck, watching the sun melt that same snow.

Wet on skin:

I don't care for citrus as a personal fragrance, but this being an up and coming scent, I had to try it. Smelling my wrist, I'm still getting mint but I can feel what seems to be a touch of eucalyptus; it's the same sort of feeling I get with Ultraviolet. Now there's a slight hint of something citrusy really coming through. It's not terribly citrusy, but there's something citrus in here, lurking under the mint...grapefruit maybe? It doesn't appear to be lemon to my nose.

Dry down:

The mint is still predominating, but every now and then, I'll catch a whiff of the citrusy undertone and it's not at all unpleasant, the way most citrus is on me. I wouldn't normally think of citrus and mint as going together, but this works and I have to admit I do like this.

The bottom line:

Ultraviolet's more citrusy cousin. More refreshing and less metallic than it's floral counterpart. It's pretty, but I don't think it's for me. :P

A generous Lab freebie, so of course I had to try this one first! Right out of the imp, Nine Mysteries gave me a sharp peppermint zing, closely followed by citrus/herbal. It reminds me of my box of assorted herbal teas--two of them are peppermint and orange-spice. Not much floral on me, but the peppermint is a nice nose-opener. If this is going to be part of the Yule release, I'd say it's a good winter scent--tea and candy-canes by the fire. :P

Hmm, this is an interesting scent.

In the vial

Wow, that's peppermint's strong. I could smell it even before I barely opened the vial. Luckily I like candy canes and after-dinner mints. After a quick sniff, I can detect a little bit of wet citrus. It smells like oranges to me, but it's lingering below the much more potent peppermint.

Wet

The peppermint's become very medicinal on me, taking on a slight eucalyptic sharpness to it. My sinuses are very clear! It reminds me of the Chinese medicinal oil I use to fix my aches, pains and other assorted ailments, actually. I'm still getting splashes of the oranges. Something else has started to come out -- I think it's the juniper. There's also something wet and floral lurking beneath everything. I'm fairly sure it's lotus.

Drydown

The mint's completely gone and been taken over by the juniper. The citrus is still there, but it's definitely quieter. Another floral has come out -- violet, I think -- and it's mingling with the lotus. There's something faintly spicy in the background. It seems to be ginger, but it's subtle. I'm not getting the coconut that's been mentioned earlier, but that might be because coconut doesn't seem to come out on my skin.

Final Thoughts

It has a nice effect, how it goes from sharp and bright to dark and deep. But alas this didn't last long on me at all. It faded pretty quickly. If I press my nose against my arm, I can barely smell the juniper but that's it. In the end though, I don't think this is for me.

Nine Mysteries....I have no witty comment for you. Le sigh.

First sniff

Double the pleasure, double the fun, double the flavour with doublemint gum! As you can see Doublemint gum was the first thing I thought of when I smelled this. Mint mint mint.

When wet

I smell like mint jelly! Very peppermintish...this is what Lush's Candy Cane BBS should smell like and not that creamy candy crud. Peppermints and cold is w hat I'm feeling when I wear this. It opened my sinuses.

Drydown

Still mint but very subtle now, I get a hint of juniper (yay!) but nothing citrusy like others have mentioned.

Aftermath

I think this will be something I'd buy down the road (or if it was discontinued haw!) as it would be lovely in the summer. I also would wear this days when I needed to get up but was just tired as its a sort of "wake yo ass up" scent. Probably would be lovely during the holidays as well...maybe mixed with tintagel. All in all tis a very yummy mint scent one which I do like a lot.

So I'm trying out Nine Mysteries today and I smell so astringent that I fear I'm intimidating everyone around me. It's MINT and LAVENDAR and something bitter bitter bitter (I don't know what ingredient it is, but it's happened to me with Cathode, UltraViolet, and that other minty one that just came out). I feel cold and evil in this one, which I'm not particularly down with, at least not today. It's a dry, soapy mint and lavendar, with that mysterious something that goes papery and medicinal on me - like something you'd disinfect a cut with (Bactine or iodine or Solarcaine).

I wonder what it is. Undertow smells great on me, and that's minty - it smells cool and fresh and bright. But this one is just so cold and calculating. And reminds me of wheatgrass mixed with toothpaste and a sachet. I gotta figure out what ingredient it is that does this and avoid it like the plague.

First sniff: The sharpest of peppermint over pale fruit. Anything else is far in the background – the peppermint leaps straight up my nose and hammers on my brain.

Wearing: This made me instantly hungry. Grapefruit, maybe, under the peppermint, and something darker in there too. Nine Mysteries definitely makes my nose tingle, and goes oddly dusty after a few minutes. I'll need to try it again before I decide.

so... I got a hint of the mint in this, but not the overpowering mint so many have described... the citrus and floral come out much more but the mint hangs on enough to keep this from being the typically feminine blends that I try to avoid...

I LOVE this scent and can't wait until its available so I can BATHE in it...

those of you who don't like it can send me your imps... I will happily trade or buy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P

Edited by goddessrobyn

i've decided this smells like a candy cane

and i love pepermint candy canes!!!

its coming off the swaps and into my purse. hehe

Nine Mysteries is a very nice minty scent on me, fresh and sweet at the same time.

There is an underlying creaminess to this, maybe even a slight bubble gum note that makes me suspect there might be a hint of lotus in this blend.

Unlike most minty scents, which tend to be quite invigorating, I actually found this one very peaceful and even a little introspective. Perfect for a quiet evening at home. I like it a lot but I don't think I would wear it very often, so I put it up for swaps so that someone else can try it before it is officially released :P

This is yumy and delightful. It's not enough of a candy or food scent to make it a room scent only for me and I was worried when I sniffed it it would be.

Nine Mysteries - wow. To me it smells nothing like it does in the bottle. I couldn't even tell what the scent was in the bottle! But on my skin it is nice and minty and mellow. Almost buttery and a tiny bit sweet. Not foody, not floral. It is fresh but not sharp at all. I like this a lot, and I would certainly buy it if it were available. :P

I love minty scents, and was terribly excited about this. It certainly hasn't disappointed.

In the vial and wet on my skin this smells like those fruity, multi-colored candy canes you get at Christmas time, the ones that turn your mouth blue :P - it's all fruity and strong mint. It's yummy. I can tell there's loads of mint in there because when I apply it to my skin I get that chilly tingle that topical mint application gives- it's nice, and it lasts for quite a long time (say, about an hour).

As the scent develops I'm getting a hint of citrus peeking through. Is it orange? In fact, it is a ripe, big, fresh orange with beads of moisture on the peel. It's the whole orange, peel, white stuff, fruit, and all. The mint fades as the orange comes through, and it morphs into an even purer orange, and stays this way for several hours. It smelled like my hands after I've eaten an orange, and as I was going about doing other things, a few times this scent actually tricked my brain into thinking I should probably go wash my hands because I must have orange residue on them- then I'd come to my senses and remember that it was my perfume. Seriously, it's that close to true orange fruit.

I never got the dark or coconut drydown that others have described, for me the orange just sort of petered out. That said, I find this oil amazing- the way it can go from pure mint to pure orange is absolutely astonishing. I desperately hope this becomes available for regular purchase at some point, as I will surely get some.

In the vial Nine Mysteries is all mint. I haven't found a mint scent that I can wear so I'll give this one a try.

Once on, it's still very minty and cool. After a few hours there is a bit of sweetness that overlays the mint. It doesn't change much from that but it does wear well. This is a cool relaxing scent and though I'm not sure I'd buy a bottle, I'm glad I was able to try it.

Nine Mysteries indeed, though I picked out only about six different notes. Out of the vial and when first applied this was pure peppermint, sweet and creamy. Like peppermint candy canes. I got some on my nose when I first sniffed it and it gave me that cool peppermint sting.

This is the order of the different notes in which they appeared on my skin:

peppermint - sharp and clean

grapefruit -fresh and slightly bitter

apricot - smelled almost like March hare with a touch of mint

white flowers - couldn't pick out the exact flower but white and sweet, lilies maybe?

white musk - clean and slightly powdery

honey - sweet, yet slightly floral and bitter

The apricot stage lasted quite a while on me. Now, several hours later, I cannot detect the mint anymore, just the slightly mature sort of honey.

Overall a very complex and interesting scent (it's quite fun to try to figure out all the different notes :P ), but I'm not sure I would get a whole bottle of this.

Nine mysteries indeed!

In the bottle, this smells exactly like a creamy after dinner mint! It's awesome.

After it's on, it undergoes about nine morphs before fading away, sometimes fruity, sometimes minty, sometimes creamy, sometimes floral. Nothing that's easy to pin down. I'll be interested to find out what the notes are.

Nine Mysteries

It starts out lovely mint and then turns into mint citrus. I just can't do mint citrus.

Maybe in the oil burner.......

I feel like a kid in a candy store. A peppermint candy store that is. Nine Mysteries smells just like an oil I purchased almost 7 years ago. It was peppermint and light musk. I am so happy. This is a big bottle buy for me. Stress relief immediately with this smell.

This smells like Biolage shampoo/conditioner. I don't even know how to describe this scent now. It's minty but not sharp. I like that it's cooling -- most of my BPAL scents are sugary or spicy. I don't know if I'll ever wear this one. It is certainly nice to sniff, at least.

Upon first sniff, Nine Mysteries mostly smelled like mint. After I applied it, it still smelled predominantly of mint, but then I smelled lavender, violet and lilac, I believe. I usually don't care much for lavender or violet, but I really enjoy them in this blend--neither takes center stage--they are just supporting cast members.

I am not getting the citrus or coconut that other reviewers have mentioned. However, I do sense a "creaminess" but I'm not sure what it is. Tonka bean, perhaps?

Nine Mysteries is a very likeable, mysterious blend. If you are a fan of Veil, you MUST give Nine Mysteries a whirl.

in the bottle: mint

wet: mint and citrusy

dry:

still minty but not overbearing, citrus wafting up occassionally but something clean and fresh i usually like a darker heavier scent but this was so beautiful i could see myself wearing it otu to dinner in the summer at the shore...when it is available i would buy a big bottle

In the bottle: Hello Shattered. I thought I had left you at home. Only this is more peppermint and doesn't have that alcohol edge to it. This smells like that Dentyne Ice gum my dad buys occasional. They make your mouth so cold it's impossible to speak for a few seconds.

Wet: Let's go to Candy Land so I can ride a peppermint stick. No, this is pretty. It's very minty with a slight floral undertone to it. Not sure what the floral is right now, but I know that violets have been mentioned in the forum reveiws. Also, good throw, which makes sense for peppermint. And very, very cold as far as the smell. That floral is staying just underneath the mint, though.

Dry Down: *singing* Peppermint sticks are so much fun. Red and white and striped like no other. I could eat them all year round except that they cut my mouth to shreds. Oh, peppermint sticks are so much fun...*singing* (I actually sing a lot of little ditties in my head that somehow make it onto the screen when I type. Odd.) Mmmm, there's a little more of the floral. It might be violets. The only scent I remember violets from was Le Serpent Qui Danse and that turned into something horrible. I blame the gardenia. I will always blame gardenia for anything, though. It's a nice light floral. Only now it's accompanied by something that smells like the tea you get in good Chinese restaurants. Kinda green but there's still this fresh veil of mint over everything.

Dry: Very much some kind of Oriental tea or herb in here along with the peppermint and the floral. Maybe lotus? I've had a couple of blends with lotus, but I was never able to pull that scent out as I have nothing to compare it to. Hmmm, I just don't know. The mint is upstaging everything else on my skin. It's nice, but I was hoping for a little more depth to it. I kinda feel like I could buy a little bottle of peppermint oil from the drugstore and get the same effect. Except for that lingering, haunting green note in there. Grrr. I'll just have to wait until this goes live and then see what the site description says. I do like this blend. It might be another room scent, though, as it is very chilly for me to wear.

Straight out of the bottle this smells uncannily like christmas mint fudge.

Almost immediately after it's on my skin, though, it turns flowery. Honestly, I'm not very good at identifying flowers by smell, but something in my gut is screaming gardenia. Which is weird because I don't think I know exactly what gardenia smells like.

Anyway, theres also some rose in there, too, I'm thinking. After this has changed to flowery, it smells something like I'd imagine an oldfashioned southern lady to.

I have to admit that the extent of my BPAL testage is pretty limited, but this is by far the craziest, most unexpected, and totally awesome scent morphing I've ever experienced.