Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Erato

She is the Muse of mimicry, and inspires both erotic and romantic poetry. She is crowned in roses, holding a lyre. Her scent inspires creative expressions of love and lust: a crush of roses with sweet pea, myrrh, ylang ylang, orris and stephanotis.

Rose, sweet pea, myrrh, and ylang ylang; this is, needless to say, a very traditionally feminine blend, and pretty heady.

It very much smells like adult woman purity. A gentle, calm control, uplifted mind, and a self-conscious grace.

I'm not a floral girl, but I'd rec this for a florals fan.

:P i am a rose whore

love this is it sexy, mature, complicated rose, this one definitely has strings attatched,

it is a deep rose, myrrh blend, i can somewhat detect sweetpea as i move my wrist away after a sniff, but mostly it is roses and myrrh yummy

In The Bottle Warm and soft..... mmmmm...... rose and orris

Wet Very musky and warm...... but the sweetpea makes it sweet and lighter. Vaugely reminds me of wanton.

Drydown It got very faint and I had to reapply...... ylang ylang is sometimes an iffy note for me, but here I like it.

Two Hours Later Pretty, very pretty, but kinda boring, and in constant need of reaplication. My skin a sucking the smell right up.

Verdict I like it. But it fades faaaarrrrrr to quickly.

This started out slightly rose and dusky while wet. For a few minutes, the rose almost disappeared and I could smell some other whispery florals in there. Then "boom" here's the rose, which happens on my skin unfortunately. It is a very deep, almost soapy rose as well. Not for me.

Erato

In the imp: floral…pink, soft florals. Rose softened by possibly the other flowers in the blend.

Wet on skin: rose and sweet peas. Maybe some ylang ylang. This is a soft, floral, feminine scent.

Dry on skin: the rose gets stronger…oh, lovely roses! There's another soft powdery smell underneath it that reminds me of a perfume I've smelt before. This is quite a nice blend, I think. I think it's the ylang ylang I can smell with a hint of myrrh added a deep warm resinous sweetness.

After a while: there's something in this blend that reminds me of geranium, even though that is not listed as an ingredient…which is nice because I love the smell of geranium!

I think the myrrh's coming through-it adds a unique depth to the florals, but isn't heavy. But it's more prominent and makes this blend more interesting than just generic floral perfume. the myrrh gets stronger and stronger, it's a gorgeous smell, it doesn't take over the florals though.

Verdict: another lovely feminine and soft blend, so floral, but that's not a problem for me…the rose is evident in this but it's softened and warmed by other flowers and myrrh. It's soft, almost powdery (no bad thing) and it makes me think of sun kissed petals, flowers scenting the summer air. As the myrrh strengthens, it gets deeper, richer and more sophisticated. It's a laid back floral that would be lovely for spring and summer. It's also a grown up, mature scent. I have other floral BPAL blends which I prefer to this, but I think this one is quite nice.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Bit of a spill, so didn't get a good sample. Very rosey, so probably not me. A hint of the odd carnation? smell, but also something I like, which I imagine is the myrrh.

I'll just add this one to the growing list of amazing Rose blends that Beth makes. This is soft, sweet, innocent, calming. For me the main scents I pick up are the Rose and Orris. Really feminine and pretty.

Bottle (Imp): Hmmm, a little cologny.

Just On: Yeah, kinda cologny, not so bad though.

An hour or two later: Vanilla cologne?

Around 6 hours: Nothing left to judge.

12 hours: Of course, still nothing.

Overall: It's interesting, but I don't know that I'll ever wear it. Awful glad I got to try it out.

After reading other reviews: I have no idea what was in it (even after reading other reviews) because I couldn't smell them at all. I just got a very generic cologne like scent. Not what I would expect at all.

Perhaps this is just an old imp...but it smells like old perfume: very rosey and dusty. I cannot wear this~my skin usually amps up florals, anyway, and this is just too much.

I received this imp, in a previous lab order. Writing the review, now I see it is discontinued. When did that happen? Uh oh….I hope I don’t fall in love with it. The description suits me to a tee!

Sniffing the imp: Mmmm…beautiful, beautiful roses. I’m doomed…

Wet on wrists: Lovely, beautiful, pink roses! My boyfriend just bought me 2 dozen pink roses for my birthday and they smelled like this. Mmmmmmm :P

Drier: Now, the other florals are coming through and this is just gorgeous! Why did this one get discontinued? Wah! :D

Dry: Has faded fast, but left a lingering scent of soft perfume. This is what I think Antique Lace should smell like! Old linens packed away with a rose satchet. Gorgeous! This imp is going to have to stretch. *sigh*

Wet: Rather sharp and bitter; but it should settle down soon. Already threatening an edge of soapiness, though.

Drying: Okay, this suffered in my estimation because, inspired by the Yule update, I had worn some of my Rose Red 2004 the day before. Most other florals are inevitably going to seem to me a bit lacking in comparison. This is okay, but no more than standard.

Dry: Joins the rather lengthy list of nice but not-special florals; though there's a pleasant, incensey note that comes out after several hours and makes this a bit more interesting than some. It's very faint by that point, though.

I did not have a good first experience with this, but decided to give it another try in honor of its re-release.

Erato is one of the sharpest and most bitter roses that I've ever had on my skin. Something about this just disagrees with me. I can catch a hint of lovely sweet pea underneath the rose, but it is mostly swallowed by the bitterness.

After about a half hour, this is turning powdery.

Not to be entirely negative, I should note that this smells amazing on my mother. It's a wonderful pink rose backed up by sweet florals on her. On me... very bad Erato.

erato.jpg

Sweet, flowery, a bit rosey, this is a lovely floral arrangement for you skin. It does go on a bit "big" but simmers down to a beautiful surround of feminine flowers. It would be great in a lotion as well as for a perfume. I would say that the heavy florals without the sharp modern underbite is more for the mature woman who was brought up with this sort of thing, but that isn't to say that Erato isn't a gem for a younger woman either if she could show the soft side and feel comfortable with it.

This is rose, but with a sweet candy undertone, somewhat like violets (must be the sweet pea). It's an innocent, happy scent, very young and playful.

You've really gotta like rose though.

Oh here comes the musky-charcoal colored scent of ylang ylang, drifting around the candy and roses. There's something under here that smells a tiny bit stinky as well.

Roses don't necessarily inspire me to romance, but they do make me want to put potpourri in my sock drawer. BPAL rose doesn't work on me, alas.

This originally had a plastic-y overtone, but I think that's just something I get with certain roses. I think the ylang ylang is the predominant note in this scent, with roses second, and a dash of myrrh. Over time, this becomes a spicy scent, with the myrrh on the foreground, the roses barely detectable, and the ylang ylang serving as the base for the spice. This seems like a scent in the same vein as Mata Hari (spinning dancers with veils), but more straightforward.

Very very soft, sweet, perfumey and girly. The sweet pea and the ylang ylang combine to form an enchanting and gorgeous floral. I am a big fan of ylang ylang, and it's definitely the top note here, which is great by me. It's a very pink/soft yellow (pastel) scent for me, and it conjours images of beautiful maidens swinging from flowering trees in the springtime. This might be a really good one for those of you who think jasmine and rose blends are a bit too much for them, this is such a lovely floral but it's not overwhelming.

I like Erato very much for the little girl in me. :P

This is super-floral on first impression, budding roses and surrounding greenery. It's soft and fresh, but verdant instead of feminine, to my nose. As it dries, I get a bit of sweet pea, but then it goes completely to soap on me. Fancy, expensive soap, but soap nonetheless.

Erato is quite the floral, mmm. Rosey with sweet pea (I'm not so good at identifying floral notes yet!) Sweet, feminine, pretty, but a little soapy.

The rose note worries me as rose of any sort typically turns to sort, but I love sweet pea, so here we go!

In the bottle: Rose and notes I can't identify.

On my skin: This one can't quite make up it's mind. In one sniff, it smells pretty nice. In another, it smells somewhat like shampoo. Hmmm!

Later on: Ah, the rose has finally turned to soap. Oh, well.

Erato ITB: sweet and kind of minty.

On: I can't pick out any individual notes in this yet, throw is a sweet floral, then a spicy note comes out. Close to my wrists it smells like walking into a Thai restaurant.

Dry: spicy soap. Looking at the notes, I'm guessing that's the roses and ylang ylang going sour on me. At least I'm learning what doesn't work on me! :P

This is a lovely sweet floral with a touch of myrrh. This is gorgeous, but the rose and resin element is too similar to Parlement of Foules (which I LOVE) to have a big bottle of this as well. I did enjoy wearing it to a performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream, though. :P

Imp

Mmmm stephanotis...I can pick this out from wearing Regan so much! Directly behind it I smell rose (please behave rose!!)

Wet

I smell rose. Poo, go away rose! I can catch hints of the everything else but rose is being a bullly. Sob, this is every floral I love plus myrrh. All I get is cologne rose. Boo. Hiss.

Dry

Rose. Whodathunk?

Poo. I had such HIGH hopes for this one. I do bet it is gorgeous on those who do not amp rose like my skin does!

Roses and myrrh soon after application but after about an hour it becomes a very dry, dusty floral. I was really disappointed in this. :P