Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tart

Lampades

... Their scent is the crisp, inviting bittersweet tang of cranberry with smoky dark lilies, heady, sensual musk, a tingle of ginger and a brush of Mediterranean spices.

imp: fruit and heady incense

skin: wtf, i smell like wood!

few minutes later: cranberries! the musk or whatever is still there, but not as much.

much later this scent pretty much just goes cranberry on me and nothing else. maybe some lily. i'm not sure. but it loses the musk.

i get a sweet, fruity red scent with woods. this reminds me a lot of hell's belle, except it's not spicy. hell's belle is very spicy on me, and i prefer the spice to this as it tempers some of the sweetness. lampades is just too earthy-sweet on me.

In the vial, I can smell cranberries for sure, but also a darkness which I suppose must be the spices and the musk. Wet on my skin, Lampades smells like a cranberry hard candy, but I also sense that lovely cranberry bitterness; this isn't overly sweet. Instead, it smells like a fresh batch of cooled cranberry sauce. So far, I'm thinking “Hello, winter scent. If Jack is my autumn scent, then you're my winter!”

The throw on Lampades isn't very strong; I keep wanting to apply, so I can smell more of it, but I know my sweetheart is coming home soon. I don't want to knock him over dead with what I could describe as the scent of Christmas twilight. While it's not a warm scent, Lampades inspires thoughts of love and home. I'm imagining myself at the family Christmas gathering later this year and feeling very cozy.

Lampades is a very demure scent. It's ladylike and proper. I have piano teacher smell! Wearing this makes me feel like Miss Marriage Material: sweet and homey, but with a darker edge that speaks of an intelligent mind and a depth of character.

Aw, let's go nuts. I just applied more- some to the other wrist, and I swished some across my collarbones. Thickly applied, Lampades carries with it much more musk and spices, but it morphs (and fast) into cranberries with a lot of sweetness but an appropriate tinge of bitterness. The musk and spices serve to warm things up just a little bit, but I do have a cool feeling on each wrist that is reminiscent of menthol.

I am intrigued and pleased. I'll wear Lampades to Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas parties. It's the smell of happy cold weather family festivals and pretty, prim ladies.

In the imp, it smells like a dark cranberry.

On skin, there is a spicy musky combination that borders on sandalwoody/incensey smell. I get an undercurrent of cranberry, but it's very faint.

For the first hour or so, its very musky/incensey on my skin.

After that, it just seems to fade away. I didn't notice it much.

Verdict: A bit of a disappointment. I was expecting a juicier cranberry. Ah well.

Lampades = Snake Oil + subtle hint of dried red berry.

That is all.

ADDED Aug. 4:

There's a instant burst of cranberry which quickly makes way for the same rooty ginger note I get from Siren. It gets woodier from there, with a hint of sweetness, but it reminds me too much of lead pencils for me to enjoy.

In the imp: cranberries and musk. Mmm, tht's lovely - sensual but with a sharp edge.

On me, wet: The ginger and the cranberries and very prominent, but that musk - is that red musk? it feels like it - and those spices are giving this a warmth and a sultriness that's very pleasing.

On me, dry: This is like the cranberry counterpart to Mania - tart cranberries instead of sweet strawberries, but that same fruit-and-musk loveliness.

Verdict: Certainly keeping the imp around. At some point a wrist-off between this and Mania will be required so I can decide which one warrants a big bottle.

in bottle: bitter.

on me: bitter.

man... i guess musky cranberries aren't for me. i can smell light ginger and other spices, but i'm not getting any lily at all. as an added bonus, this makes my throat close up a little. not from allergies or anything, i'm just not a big fan of tart smells.

i agree with whoever said it should be a room scent. wearing this as a fragrance is a bit much.

this started out as a really nice, light, fruity scent - the cranberry blended with something else seemlessly, to the point were i wouldn't have been able to identify which fruit was the main note, except that it was not overly sweet... this is lovely. As it dries, though, it smells more strongly of a floral, which my chemistry doesn't do well with... still a nice scent, but as it dried, it became too strong for me to wear.

This is one of the most interesting scents I've gotten from BPAL. It smells so good, but at the same time I find it unsettling, like something's not quite right (with things in general, not the oil!). I can't quite decide whether or not I like it, but it's one I keep going back to smell again and again to think about.

Lampades is one of the better berry scents - the cranberry smells almost like apricot. It does evoke nature-loving young nymphs with fruit and floral abundance.

Glad to try it because there are not all that many cranberry blends, but I'm fruity enough without help from perfume.

As the oil was drying on my skin, Lampades smelled like a 'head shop. Of course, it was not the same as Vice's variety 'head shop. It was more exotic from the Mediterranean spices. I was not exactly thrilled with another hippie-like perfume though, honestly.

With mellowing and a little patience, Lampades became a wonderful mixture of lily and ginger. I did not smell cranberry at any stage, but it wasn't missed on my part. I think the smoky note of this oil rather killed any cranberry tartness.

All in all, I'm pleased with Lampades, but it's not something I'm gaga over. I think I might have to wear this a second time before I make a final decision on its fate in my collection.

Wow cranberries!

The berries start out strong the minute I open the imp, and they ripen immediately once applied to my wrist. As Lampades dries, I get a little bit of the musk and spices, but it's still dominated by the earthy, not sweet, cranberries. The ginger was AWOL for me, but I'll try it again and see if it decides to join the party next time...

I like this quite a bit, although I suppose you'd have to be in an exceptionally fruity frame of mind to really enjoy it!

I agree very much with the above review, but I do detect a warm bit of ginger...

Cranberries, rule tho. It reminds me of SweetTarts candy.

Pretty, but if you don't embrace cranberry sweetness this may not be for you.

This is nice on me. Starts off as a bit of a jumble with a sharp bit of cranberry being the only note I can identify. As it wears, the smoke from the smoky lilies and the musk start to emerge. The cranberry ripes and develops more, and it, the smoke, and the musk take turns slipping into and out of dominance. I'm not sure I ever get much of the actual lilies, the ginger, or the spices - they may just subtley add to the notes I am picking up.

Sweet fruity cranberries that are rapidly being devoured by evil lilies. Damn you, lilies!

This reminds me a lot of Shango on first application, before the lily kicks in. If only it stayed that way!

This is tart, juicy, ripe cranberries slightly crushed and lightly spiced with the musk and lilies adding warmth and depth. A really nice blend, not too sweet, not too fruity.

The husband sniffed and said "Wow. That one is lovely on you." :P

Definitely going on my "need a bottle" list!

Out of the imp, and on first application Lampades is quite heavily cranberry. It smells crisp, and invigorating... quite pleasant, if one likes cranberry.

With more time, it dries down to allow more notes to come out to play. I can detect the lilies, and they are indeed smoky and dark as promised. The musk may be what is smoothing out the edges and keeping things from being too sharp and incisive; I don't notice ginger as much as a general spiciness, but that is very much in the background. It lasted a while (say, more than 4 hours?) on the few occasions I've tested it, and stayed pretty much stable after the initial drydown.

For me, this blend is a little too much cranberry-floral; it reminds me of crafty candle smells, and while that's not necessarily an automatic deal breaker, I don't love cranberry enough to keep this.

On first snif I thought this was orange :P just shows what a long way I have yet to go...

Now that I come here to see the description, I *guess* I can spot that it is in fact cranberry. I guess it's the sweet tartness which both cranberries and oranges have... or something.

When it dries it becomes alot headier, loses much of the initial fruity tartness, and the red musk amps up. It ends up smelling alot like a cousin of Scherezade...

I like it but not enough to keep when I have so many others to try... :D

imp: sweet berries!!

wet: reminds me of australian copperhead, with the berries and really clean

feeling, but less smoked vanilla...similar, but not the same...

dry: more cranberry feel, darker, muskier...very sexy, a little earthy

final thoughts: not what I was expecting, but still very nice. It changed quite a bit, but I liked the result...not as foody as I was hoping, but I will certainly keep this one around for a while.

LAMPADES

In the Bottle:

Cranberry & Spices

On my skin, Wet:

Cranberry & Spices

On my skin, Dry:

Cranberry & Spices

Although this perfume does not morph on me at all, there seem to be degrees of intensity between the spices and cranberry notes.

so there's that...

and cranberries

and spices

:D

Verdict:

Very pretty.

I think I would like it much better if it would allow the lilies to come out & play; same for the ginger notes, but I can't complain about the quality of the cranberries & spices - they are very smooth and "even tempered".

I would give this perfume a 3 out of 5

:P

hmm... lampades...

bottle: generic fruity (almost winey?) berry smell

wet: bitter spices, a little musk and a faint fruity background

dry: berries and bitter spice. i don't get any tart, tangy cranberry unfortunately, just that general fruity vibe. it's also kind of smoky and reminds me of incense that i don't like.

Edited by porcelina

in the vial: peach, apricot delight

on me: gentle fruit, spring breeze peach

So I don't get the cranberry. It's a ripe round water-filled fruit with sunny air flowing around it. Hmm.