Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tart

Lampades

... Their scent is the crisp, inviting bittersweet tang of cranberry with smoky dark lilies, heady, sensual musk, a tingle of ginger and a brush of Mediterranean spices.

Smokey, spicy, tart cranberry. The smoke is definitely the most prominent portion of this blend, almost drowning out the other elements. It's only when I put my nose next to my wrist that I get the other notes. Interesting blend, but not one I'll keep. Decent throw and wear length.

:::LAMPADES:::

First impressions: There is this plank of freshly cut Cedar...

The sap beads, wells up, turns into blood and trickles down the grain...

Along the rivulets, there are dusky blooms...

And from the center of these blooms emereges a shiny, violently-red fruit...

Lampades IS a Bewitching Brew.

The fascination here is with the fluidity of characteristics of this formula. Just about the time this sweetens into a bejeweled bit of glamour for Her, a sharpened, woodsy, spicey bit of grit and muscle lean this into something more suggestive of a formula favored by Him.

The Ginger delivers an especially bone-shaking primal scream.

The Lilac hovers comfortably in Lampades, drifting toward both sides of the scale... Grrrroovy!

Skinside: The fruit has all but disappeared. Strangely, though there is no mention of Cedar included in the notes for this, the Ginger and "Spices" combine to produce something quite convincing of the contrary...

In fact, for those of you who are fond of "Tombstone" in the Wanderlust category, you may just find that this is very remniscent of a newly opened bottle of Tombstone... Beautiful!

Lampades constantly maintains it's rosiness of spectrum; from heartwood Cedar to Cranberry-stained Cinnamon stick.

Lampades would work magic on either Him or Her.

A true delight!

4.9 out of 5!

Last night, I randomly grabbed an imp (lights were off - BF almost asleep), gave it a sniff, then put a tiny dab on my wrists. 'Oh, wow. Fruity. I don't remember it being this strong. Extreme fruit, like strawberries. Fake strawberries. Lots & lots of 'em. Hope BF can't smell it....'

BF: "Did you just eat a candy? It smells like a raspberry jelly thing."

So I slunk off to the bathroom and (gladly) washed it off. I guess Lampades doesn't age well :(

My first impression is that Lampades is what would happen if Lilith and Satyr had a child. It has the rich red wine with incense feeling from Lilith and the musky woodsy sweetness from Satyr. I realize that none of those notes are part of the description, but that's what it smells like to me and I really, really like it.

Edited by strahlend

In Bottle: Green and bittersweet overlaid on musk

Wet: A hint of fruity cranberry, smothered in smokey, spiced musk.

Dry: Spicy musk that almost smells like patchouli

Notes: This is a nice dark tastey blend. The smoke and musk are dominant and toned by the spices, ginger, and bittersweet.

Lampades

This reminds me very much of Urd. I don't really get cranberry specifically, but I get a tart, juicy, fruit smell. Not sure about the other notes. Will have to try on another day because my nose must be really messed up. :lol: I like it though.

I kindly received this as a frimp with my first order - many thanks for that. :)

in the bottle: Hello Kitty sweet- a downpour of unctious syrup from a vinyl cruet.

wet on skin: Two synthetic strawberries met in a headshop, and fell in love. They consummated their love right there in the aisle, with much vigor. A sticky sweet pink fog filled the air. On me, no tartness ever dared to surface- my skin cooked this to a cloying and unsubtle sweetness, alas.

dry on skin: Ginger and lily decided to try to intervene. "Excuse me, you two, we're happy for you, but can we get some room?" But the lovers would not listen, and indeed, began to carry on all the louder. I could smell other notes barely, and wanted them to emerge, but the hypersweet berry element would not be denied.

final opinion: I found wearing this to be a very evocative experience, and am thankful that I had the chance to wear it. However, this smelled excessively juvenile and one-dimensional on me, never tart, never dark, nor any of the other suave adjectives I've read in the preceding reviews. It sounds as though it smells divine on others, but my chemistry just wasn't having it. Ah well, I'm still immensely grateful for the experience. :) Onward!

Edited by MakerNotMuse

In the bottle: according to my partner, "smells like one of those soap stores. With incense." I liked it-- a deep musk with a spicy note. Wonderful amber color. I'll second and third all those calls for using it in the house.

Wet: the unmistakable, incredibly strong aroma of cherry Robitussin.

1 Hour Dry: A whiff of smoke, musk, and the (much less acrid) cranberry odor. Pleasant and lingering, a lovely berry musk.

3 Hours Dry: I was sad to see the herb scents completely fade. The lily has finally come out, and my skin is not having it. Soft and powdery, with the sweetness of the berry mellowing into dried flowers.

On the whole, terrific for a few hours, but the remainder is a little unpleasant on my skin. I'll definitely try it again in a week or so.

In the imp, this is smoky, spicy cranberries. On my skin, this translates to much of the same. Hm. Really neat. We'll see where this goes. Definitely getting a second skin test.

Edited by Venneh

Wet: very meaty fruity flesh? there's a cranberry fruitiness but the only thing I can equate it to is skin coated in some fruity lotion surrounded by incense. There's a jumble of smells right now. The lily isn't there. the Mediterranean spices are there a bit.

Drydown: the musk that was causing the fleshy smell has subsided. Now its sharper cranberry, smoky lily and spices (with a light light touch of ginger) smoothed together by the musk.. whew. Overall, pleasant and reminds me a bit of thanksgiving dinner here in Maine before the turkey (or tofurkey) comes out of the oven.

Edited by SophieCedar

Lampades has made the 8hour mark and that is a FB worthy to me, i like the delicious sugarfruity smell :P think im also in the minority when i say i REALLY LOVE it!

slighlty like pezz candy but in the adult way ;)

it has SOME sillage though, but thats okay as long as i can still smell it :P

EDIT: lasts allday,defenitly on my purchasing list

Edited by lucifera

Lampades definitely starts off a sweet and tart cranberry scent. It also immediately has a lot of throw - I'm testing several blends at once and this is the only one I can smell at the moment.

The spices start to come out after about 10 minutes, but this is still overpoweringly cranberry. Take the apples out of cider and add cranberry in its place. That really is this perfume.

It doesn't change much as I wear it. I can definitely see the comparisons to Bordello - this stays extremely sweet and fruity on me like Bordello does. I think it's too sweet, and I'm sure someone out there will appreciate the fruitiness much more than I do.

Lampades was a disappointment for me. I usually enjoy berry fragrances, but this smells a good deal like Blackcurrant Tunes, cough syrup and Lemsip all rolled up in one flu remedy. There's a mild clovey aspect to it too, lurking below the boiled sweet surface. It's almost good, to me, but there's something cloying and medicinal that turns me more off than on.

3/5

Anything with fruit is generally a no go with me BUT... after chasing a forum trail that started with Blood Countess I was convinced I had to give it a try. I nearly used half the imp the very first time I smelled it.

That tangy, sweet (but not too sweet) musky smell was amazing. My husband came up the stairs and, before he even entered the room I was in asked 'what is that beautiful smell?'. I couldn't get enough, it smelled fantastic, had great throw and lasted until the next morning.

SO, I bought a big bottle. Sadly, and this also happened with Aeval, the oil in the big bottle is not as potent and it has been fading by 10am. It's definitely not as dark or thick as what's in the imp. :(

Maybe I'm just unlucky... maybe I should just buy imps... but I love having a big 5ml bottle that I know I can slather on. Dang it!

As with trumpette above, my love-affair with Lampades was initially very exciting, particularly since I don't do berry scents. But Lampades has enough spice and ginger to satiate even me, so I was thrilled to find a summertime scent that worked. I immediately put in for a 5ml.

Sadly, the contents of my 5ml is nothing like that of the imp after the initial application. The dry down is reminiscent of cherry chapstick most days. I save it now for when it's fall and cooler out as that seems to alleviate the problem, but the throw is nowhere near as potent. Still, putting it in lotion or using it in an oil warmer produces very nice results, so this little set-back isn't enough for me to trade away my 5ml anytime soon.

Edited by DeCuvieri

In the imp I get a lot of burnt cedar, which is probably the smoke note. Upon application the sweet cranberry amps, reminding me a lot of Fruit of Paradise, which I love. It's also somewhat similar to Midnight Kiss, with the musk+berry element. Tart and sweet, with the barest hint of spices. The cedar hangs around for a while then fades. I like the rose-amber colour of the oil.

Edited by Amoraexcena

I got this as a frimp. I was apprehensive about trying it, because I have a history of bad luck with BPAL's lily note.

Perhaps fortunately, I don't get much lily in this. What I get is CRANBERRY, underpinned with something spicier and earthier. Makes me think of craft stores, candles, and potpourri, but rather appropriate for a cold late-autumn-edging-into-winter day like today. The lasting power seems decent.

Lampades starts out with Lily and the ginger & spices. I could have sworn that there was Patchouli in this because that how it smells initially.

After 10 minutes or so, this becomes all berry. A spicy berry - kind of like the dewberry scent they used to have at the Body Shop ... I like it but it kind of reminds me of a berry scented candle.

I will test again to see how it goes a second time around.

I never reviewed this, and it was one of my first Big Bottle purchases, after I had drained the imp that was given to me by a friend, drained it dry.

Sweet, grapey, very candy.

After those top notes dry away, it's a very deep inscence and musk, very rich.

This is very strong, and lasts forever. A little dab will do you.

....I.....this.....YES!!

This is just the scent I was looking for =) I love Greek mythology, and Hecate in particular, so I really was hoping this would work (unlike Persephone, which turned me into a member of the Rose Collective and spurred a migraine :( )

In the imp it's a clear red, and smells juicy tart, and dusky at the same time. Roll around in a cranberry bog, and then go caving, I guess - it's pretty much that.

It doesn't have a huge throw, but I was pretty sparing with it yesterday. Today, I'm being bolder ;)

This is probably going to wind up in a scent locket, if my skin insists on eating it again, I love the smell. Fruity, but not cloying, floral but very light, and musky but not overpowering. It's *PERFECT*!

Hopefully it smells the same in a 5ml!!

Disclaimer: I am new, and my nose is not attuned to individual notes yet.

Wet: woah, this reminds me of walking into "Earthbound Trading Company" or "World Market." That artificial "exotic" smell that permeates everything they sell.

Drydown: This one is pretty true to it's description, sweet and tangy, a little mystical, a little sensual. I'm really starting to pick up the spices in the background, it's really warming up on my skin. Unfortunately, something about this just keeps reminding me of walking through a commercialized "international" market.

Final Impression: This is a pleasant "red" scent. Like burning incense mixed with a cherry cough drop. I like it, I just don't know if I can shake the scent association I'm having, like I'm at a store in the mall, looking at overpriced novelty items. :-\

Edited by Victoriaoke

In the bottle: Cranberries. I'm a little apprehensive because of the tartness.

Wet: Immediately, the tartness starts to mellow out as the musk comes through. Yes, this is starting to smell promising.

Dry: Oh My, I love this scent. The cranberries have softened up into a delicious fruity, slightly citrus scent mixed with a bit of floral. Underneath that the spices, ginger, and musk play one another. Can't stop huffing my wrist.

I agree with some of the other reviews that this is a wonderful autumn scent. All the notes blend well together. I'm going to have to get a bottle. :joy:

In bottle: I am praying that floral dies down on my skin... YIKES

Wet: Oooh, yummy musky cranberry! I have been looking for a fruity blend that doesn't go achingly sweet on me and this might be it!

Drying: Much more of the musk and ginger now, still with the fruity richness of the cranberry. No far, no overt appearance from the lilly, thank god, though it might be adding the wonderful dimension to the sweetness.

Dry: Ginger, musk and cranberry. in fact, it's reminding be a bit of my favorite soda, GUS cranberry lime. It has some of that mouthwatering sharp juiciness to it that is just amazing. Up close it is ginger dominant, which is awesome, but is it quite literally making my mouth water without being foody.

This is why I love that the lab sends frimps. I never would have put this on my body by choice, but seeing as I test all my frimps for just such a scent as this one, I'm glad i did. This imp it TOTALLY a keeper and may even get bumped to bottle.

In the imp it's a clear red, and smells juicy tart, and dusky at the same time. Roll around in a cranberry bog, and then go caving, I guess - it's pretty much that.

This is a perfect description- this is cranberry, with something earthy underneath. Not earthy like dirt or patchouli, earthy like being underground in a cave of stone, with smoky torches lighting your way and reflecting off the walls.

I love it because the cranberry is bright and sweet and tart, but it's grounded by smoke and darkness.

My imp is very aged, from 2011. I personally get no spices or floral, just cranberry and smoke in equal measure. But I've had people compliment me and tell me that it smells like spices, so there you go.

This is an ideal christmas scent for me, but I think it would be fabulous in warmer months too. Not a ton of throw, but lasts quite a long time on the skin. People who hug me when I wear it always mention how good I smell!

This was an instant top 10 for me, and I'm planning on buying a bottle. I'm nervous though, since a lot of reviews seem to mention that the 5ml smells like artificial fruit or cough medicine. Maybe this is one that just needs to age for a long time? Guess I'll find out!