Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Delirium

Non compos mentis, indeed! A contrary, conflicted scent, bubbling with merry madness. Contains apple, rose, and lemon.

This is lovely! Like a more ballsy version of the gorgeous light scent of Lush's Amandopondo bubble bar (one of my absolute favorites!). Gorgeous rose and lemon dominates this scent but lurking far behind I can smell the fresh, juicyness of the apple. It's so lovely and fresh and a little like Turkish Delight but this manages to retain elegance whilst being slightly foody. I can't wait to have a bath with Amandopondo and layer the scent with Delirium especially in the Summer. For a fairly light scent this also has good throw. Must get a bottle!

In the imp, this is Oriental-ish, and clean, with apple and lemon - very nice.

It gets richer on - it's almost resinous. The rose comes out to play with apple and lemon.

When it dries - I feel like I want to like this, but there's something off about it - like when apple slices turn brown after you leave them out. I'll pass it along to someone whose chemistry will like it more.

Initial Impression: apples and roses

On Wet: apples, roses, and lemon

On Dry: roses, hint of apples, very faint lemon

Final Impression: Gorgeous! The perfect pick-me-up!

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 4

in bottle: I'm getting the rose and lemon mixed. I can't smell the apple.

wet: I can smell a little bit of apple, with the rose and lemon. It doesn't seem to be mixing too well. It's almost like all the notes are stand-alone and rather then working together they are all fighting to reach your nose first.

Dry: This mixed a bit better after it dried down, but I think it's just a bit too citrusy for me. I'm getting lemon pledge. Blue Sad

2 out of 10

In the imp I could smell all of the scents individually (together was just as amazing!). And it really pleased me but sadly once I put it on the lemon vanished and the apple, leaving me with the almost powdery rose scent reminescent of Alice. Delirium also lasts me the whole day, which I love.

While I dont dislike this scent it tends to just transform into something close to Alice on me, which I prefer to Delirium. If you like Alice you may want to try Delirium. I plan on holding on to Delirium just in case something changes :P

In the imp: Rose and something almost herbal are the only things I pick up.

Wet: More rose, overpoweringly rose.

Dry: Guess? ROSE. What is interesting is that every other sniff gives me a little bit of apple peel scent. But the apple isn't cutting into the rose anywhere near enough to make me want to try this again. It reminds me of something very Victorian. Definitely not me.

In bottle/imp: Crisp, juicy lemon with hints of apple and wafting rose.

Immediately on skin: This scent is a very airy blend, and I can’t smell it as much as feel it. The lemon is very strong, but the rose grounds it a bit and there’s a hint of crisp green apple. Even though the notes hint at it, the blend isn’t very sweet.

After a little while: The lemon has settled down after a while, and now I would describe this as a very airy rose and apple scent. This scent isn’t heavy at all… it’s very light and wafting. The rose is light and fresh with no heaviness about it, and the apple is crisp and light. The feel of the lemon still penetrates this scent, but it is mixed extremely well with the other notes.

Overall Impressions: I love apple, though bpal’s apple note seems to turn almost floral on me. This was no exception, though it’s still a very pretty, airy blend. The rose is nice and fresh and feminine, but not overly perfume-y in fell. The apple is crisp and light, and the lemon adds a bright freshness through the blend. It’s not the most complex scent, but it’s pretty and blended nicely. All of the notes are very well balanced in this.

This scent is very simple, pure, and clean at first -- an even mix of all three notes. That lasts from first good sniff until five minutes after drying at which point it turns into baby powder. If I let it sit for a while after -that-, I get the lemon and rose back, and a periodic whiff of apple-y moistness, but after letting it settle into my skin for a few hours, it goes berserk and starts shuffling bits of rosy powder, lemony rose, dusty apples, and (again) baby powder about. It never really morphs into anything strange, but it just keeps shifting top notes like puzzle pieces. For HOURS.

It's never sweet, never really fruity, certainly never deep, and never dark, just light, bright and yellowy-pink and white in tone. It lasts -all- -day- in one incarnation or another, though it never really settles into a singular scent. I feel like repeating myself with this, just because it's quite unique in perfumes I've tried. It doesn't have a strong throw, but it's quite distinctive if I have my nose fairly close to the skin.

This one's acceptable for work, but made me feel incredibly scattered, so I think I'll be more likely to wear it when I'm going to be going out and having fun in a situation in which focus is unnecessary.

Thumbs up, but with a bit of hesitation -- that is, I'm happy to have an imp, but probably will never buy a bottle.

Imp: Sharp lemon with an undercurrent of rose and apple.

Wet: Bright, clean sweet apple.

Dry: Lemon is the top note and the apple and rose combined to create a candied resin scent that just grounds the scent beatifully. This is really bright and clear and a gorgeous warm weather scent.

Throw: Polite. Definitely appropriate for social situations.

Overall: How lovely. And, of course, having applied this without looking at the scent description, how completely unlike how I thought it would smell. It works well with the concept and it's just pretty, dagnabbit.

I tired La Vita Nouva before I tried this, and I absolutely love that scent. Since that was a LE however, I wanted a GC replacement and this is it.

Wet: Lemon! lemon pledge? Lemon!

Dry: Light and sweet, in a wet type smell as opposed to a dry one. It smells like early spring sunshine to me. The lemon remains the top note, and then the apple and rose make a nice floral undertone to support it.

Verdict: I don't love the wet phase, but I do love how it smells a half hour after I've put it on.

A frimp from the lab.

In the imp, apples and lemon.

Wet on me, rose and apple.

Drying, it is tending just slightly towards rose. It does move back and forth a bit between the apple and the rose as main scents, with the lemon in the background. It's a light, clean smelling scent on me. It does come across as cheerful and bright. It isn't overwhelming...and it also isn't very deep. I'm going to pass this on to someone who may find it more interesting.

Brand new Imp....

Wet on the skin, this is so, so sharp.....almost like soap.....but I like it, because it is very much the scent of peeling a lemon, with that little spray from the rind. There is a hint of flowers behind it, but then as it dries the rose comes out stronger (which I pretty much expected). This is so high pitched and nearly soapy, I doubt I will wear it much. Honestly I'm not sure if I'll keep the Imp or not. I never did smell any apple, but that note might come forward as the oil ages. I think apple would add a welcome hint of softness, because right now this is all sharp, eye-opening citrus and soapy rose (not necessarily a bad thing, but not usually my kind of scent).

In the bottle: Crisp, yet ripe and fruity apple, faint gentle rose, light refreshing lemon. Delicately joyous, maidenly.

Wet: The same delicious apple note from Snow/Glass/Apples, it's tarter on my skin, even crisper, like just-picked macintosh apples. The rose behind it smells like white rose to me, not tea rose - it's a daintier, softer rose. Lemon, sadly, is a distant afterthought - delicious and fresh but woefully light and close to the skin.

Dry: The rose has, as I expected, amped majorly, but that lovely apple note remains, and somehow, the stronger rose enhances the apple, illuminating it when for a brief while it seemed to be fading. The lemon confuses me; it's either mingling so closely with the crisp apple that I can't separate it, or it's gone entirely. I suppose the latter is more likely as my skin tends to devour many citrus notes.

Summary: Rose has dominated that glimmering apple note which I so prayed would stay in force. I do love rose - though I'm nearing a ridiculously vast amount of rose scents as a result - and this is such a lovely apple, that I think I can just barely justify the rose ruling this blend. I get a white rose - that rose from Parlement of Foules, for example - but it doesn't go powdery on me; it's girlie, not bold. Lemon has completely departed. Great throw, moderate lasting powder.

So far, my favourite apple scent. I'd love one without a dominating floral note (Snow/Glass/Apples minus that medicinal eucalyptus note, perhaps?), but this will do for now. Btw, I don't see how this scent fits the name in the least!

In the Imp: sharp floral

On Wet: apple blossom, powdery rose with a bit of apple peel.

On Dry: powdery rose with a morph between rubbery rose and odd apple blossom

Drat, I was hoping for LEMON with Apple and some rose. No lemon at all. :P

I had an imp of this ages ago, but I swapped it away because I was in my floral-hating stage back then. Now I don't mind florals so much, so I wanted to try it again.

It's a very pretty soft rose scent, with sweet apple over the top. I don't smell any lemon in it, and that's fine with me because I don't like lemon much.

The apple and rose combination in Eve surprised me because I didn't think I'd like it but I did. I like it in this too. I should probably do a side-by-side comparison of Delirium and Eve and find out which one I like better.

In The Bottle

Rose with a touch of lemon

On Application

Ugh! Rose.

Dry Down

I get occasional whiffs of apple beneath the all encompassing rose. Goes a little bit more Turkish delight, thanks to the lemon, I assume. I actually quite like this once it settles down. I may use the imp but won't purchase a bottle.

Rating (0-5)

In the imp, I am only smelling the rose-there is barely an apple or lemon. The lab's rose is generally a fail note on me, so I am not too optimistic.

On my skin this is ROSE!!!!!!!! Ok, wait...as it settles, the lemon and apple decide to peek out. Actually, the lemon and apple save this from from being stanky rose. Hmm. Pleasant really! The rose is brightened by the apple and lemon!

The thing is, I like La Vita Nuova WAY better as an apple/lemon/rose scent...and I've been going through my bottle of that verrry slowly, so I can't ever see myself buying this. It's nice though, especially if the lab's rose is a good match for your skin!

A little bit of background. This was one of the first scents I ordered from the Lab way back when and I remember not liking it, but not the reason why I didn't like it. I've been on a fruit kick lately so I thought I'd give it another go.

Wet: Miscellaneous sweet and soap.

Dry: Soap.

Ah yes. Rose my mortal enemy.

This is a scent I've had on my wishlist since almost the start of my BPAL career, before I gave up on rose. Somehow it stuck through my periodic wishlist clearing and I got frimped it, and tried it on without remembering the notes.

Madness indeed! I couldn't make head or tails of this in the vial and then wet on my skin. Looking up the notes helped - it's a sort of lemon/fruity candy scent. Then the rose starts to come out and completely tramples the apple and lemon. The most bizarre thing about it is that this is a rose that works on me! Not too powdery and the closest I have yet come to the smell of fresh roses. I don't know how often I'll reach for it - I'd prefer something not so single note - but I'll hold onto it.

Spoke too soon - this was a long hold out, but it too went to powder. Rose and I are not meant to be.

Edited by dzurlady

In the Bottle

In the imp all three notes are present and accounted for. I like each of them individually but I’m not sure I like how they smell together.

On My Skin

Lemony rose. Apple is nowhere to be found. My chemistry seems to love making rose into a scent I associate with older women *cough* old lady smell *cough*. This time is no exception. I’ll give it a bit longer to see if anything more interesting than lemony rose comes out of this blend.

After a Bit

Still lemony rose.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 1.5 Throw – 3 Longevity – 4

Over all – 2

Final Thoughts

This isn’t going to be a bottle purchase for me. It would be beautiful on somebody else but rose and I just don’t get along.

I was stupid excited to get this in the mail this morning.

Imp - Freshly made honey and lemon drink. Odd! Amazing but odd. There's a bite to it from the lemons and somehow from the apples and rose I'm getting a sweet honey smell. I had to resist to pour the whole imp over me right then.

Skin - Oh crap. I'm not sure about this now. At first it was apples, apples and green which to me is great. Now? Now it's turning into lemony rose polish. Bitter and almost chemical smelling. Wrist away from my nose it's turkish delight but up close it's heady and soapy. I'll have to see how this goes after an hour or two, I'm just hoping something softens.

Edit - Dry - It softened slightly. The man quite liked it but I wasn't completely sold. More apple did come out though. As the man put it "It does smell like an airfreshner, but a non chemical one that you wouldn't mind spilling on yourself now and again". Sums it up for me really.

Edited by Salem

Gorgeous!

The rose dominates, and the apple and lemon add a bit of tart and sweetness. I amp rose like nothing else, which is fine cus I loves me some rose! I really can't smell too much behind it all, but I know that it's there so it's easier to pick out :D

For me.. a rose amper.. this is like other rose blends that I have (every thing with rose in it, might as well be a SN rose on me!) It's lovely though!!! :P

In imp: Strong florals (must be the rose) and some lemon, definitely. Reminds me of a shampoo I’ve used, maybe my green apple kind.

Wet on skin: It’s my green apple shampoo! That note was hidden in the bottle, but on skin, yipe. Very crisp and tart like a Granny Smith. After a few minutes, the apple stops jumping up and down (I think the lemon was amping it) and a softer note comes out, which I assume is the rose.

Drydown: The scent has calmed down and softened, and I can distinctly smell all three notes now. The rose reminds me of the kind of scent you would use before a formal event, or that first whiff of flowers when you walk into a greenhouse. The apple is now a soft scent like that in an orchard, not green-apple tart candy. I’m not sure of where the lemon has gone, though. There’s a light tang underneath the softness, but it’s close to the skin.

Overall: After the initial shock and chaos, it softens into a comforting rose and apple blend. The first burst is a great wake-up call, though. It’s definitely a female scent, to say the least. I like it, but it reminds me a little too much of ladies bath products and a well-kept powder room. A little bit old for me.