Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Delirium

Non compos mentis, indeed! A contrary, conflicted scent, bubbling with merry madness. Contains apple, rose, and lemon.

In the bottle: I smelled the rose and the lemon, roughly equal and surprisingly nice. I really thought these would clash more, from the description. I couldn't remember at first what the third note was supposed to be, and it was fainter- I was thinking lavender until I went and looked it up, and then I was like 'ok, I kinda get that.'

Wet on skin-> ~15 mins : still pretty well balanced between the three, but a little more rose and a little less apple. I'm not getting the green-apple that a lot of people get with this one. It's like a bouquet of a dozen red roses, with a big strip of fresh lemon peel wrapped in a bow around the stems to hold them together, but you hold it down so your little toddler friend can sniff it, and she gets too excited and spills her watered-down apple juice all over it, so you shake it off into the sink, but hours later you still can smell the apple juice when you put your nose into the roses. Seriously, that's the mental image that I get.

A couple of hours later in real life, however, the apple and lemon have faded so it's mostly a rose on me, which has gone slightly but not horribly powdery. There's a thin wisp of lemon to it, and just barely any apple. Still a fairly bright scent though, refreshing, young, and more like "a nice thing to smell" rather than "traditional perfume" which is quite up my alley.

Despite having a decent throw and lasting a decent amount of time, Delirium is still gentle enough on my somewhat sensitive nose that I can actually use more than the very exact amount of BPAL I usually use. Also, bonus points for reminding me of Sandman, of course.

Also less clashing than I imagined with a name like that-rather than full-on confusion, screaming sirens waking you from deep sleep, it's more like snapping back to the present after having a pleasant daydream in the middle of a group project in high school and having to ask 'Wait, what'd we just decide?'

Edited with scent description cause I didn't realize this was going to be the head of a new page. Edited by Shollin
Just fixed up the BPAL tags.

On my skin, this blend seems to have only two notes, rose and apple of the uber sweet red delicious variety. Sounds nice, but unfortunately the two together read to my nose as sharp hair salon chemicals. I don't get any lemon, which is a pity, since I like lemon and I think it could have counteracted some of the rose's sharpness. I should mention that my skin and apple notes are invariably terrible together, and roses are hit-or-miss. In its favor, Delirium has good throw and it's still strong at the four hour mark.

When I first got this one, I was really hoping to smell like apples all the livelong day. And... I'm still hoping. While wet it was 100% apple, but that quickly faded into rosey rose. My mom thought it was Two Five and Seven, actually (her exact words were "that's rather girly for you" XD ). It faded quickly. A while later I tried it again, and a little bit of aging (but not much) brought out the shy little apple and lemon.

Now, I've tried it again (after nearly 18 months of aging, ha ha), and I think I know why I couldn't find the apple before. The apple in Delirium really is closer to "apple pulp" than "a crisp apple off the tree." This is not meant in a bad way at all -- just imagine that you had a nice fresh apple and decided to make some homemade applesauce. And you thought a potato masher applied directly to the raw apple would be the best way to do it. That's what kind of apple this is. Age has also increased the throw, and made the whole scent more... I almost want to say "fuzzy." It's very sweet and round and full. :)

I use this when I want: to convert innocent bystanders. :twisted: But really it's good for when I don't know what I want to wear.

In imp: very fresh apple scent

Wet: WHOA, LEMON!!! With a bit of apple in the background. Very faint touch of rose.

Drydown: Lemon fading and getting a soft apple scent now.

Later: Very, VERY light apple scent. Barely there. Okay, but not really what I’m looking for. Off to swaps.

YUM YUM YUM!!!! Crisp clean apples a light tea rose (or what smells to me like tea rose). YUM (or did I already say that?)! This would be a great scent on really hot days where you don't want something too strong or the beginning of Autumn.

I definitely got the apple in the imp and wet, but once dry this was all rose, baby. It's a very nice rose though. I didn't get the lemon at any stage TBH. A very pretty, feminine scent.

Oh this is nice. I was frimped this, and it was the only one of the frimp batch that worked for me at all.

In the imp, this was mostly rose, citrus (lemon I guess), and a TOUCH of apple.

On, the apple really jumps out, and is a really nice golden or red delicious apple, not a green, tart apple at all. Very sweet and delicious.

I totally get the hair chemical comparison someone made earlier up, but I don't smell that unless I look for it.

Unfortunately, the rose in this is the strong, headache inducing variety. I don't think I can do this, unfortunately, which is a pity because I LOVE the apple note in here. If this were to be made without the rose, I'd be all over it.

I love all the notes so I am surprised that I am just kinda meh about this one. I guess I just don't see the rose working with the apple and lemon.

Or maybe if the rose would be subtle. But when has rose ever been subtle. Oh well can't love them all!

Delirium is delicious! I will be buying a bottle for sure. It's so wonderful for spring and summer, lasts well on me, and best of all my boyfriend doesn't hate it.

In vial: Sweet roses and fruit (with a bit of a sour bite). I can detect all three notes but the fruit is stronger.

On, wet: Rose comes out more. The sweetness of the rose and the sharpness of the citrus are a really good combination. The apple makes it more complex. No one can ever guess WHAT fruits are in this one! People say it smells like mangoes most often (?).

After drydown and beyond: The notes remain balanced but the rose amps more than the fruit.

In the imp: Smells tart, fruity.

Wet on skin: Oh! Apple, I love you!

Drydown: Alas, the lovely apple is being stomped on by the rose. The tartness of the lemon is still around but the rose overpowers all. The rose almost turns a little soapy on me as well. And, it's a no for Delirium. :(

This smelled so good in the imp I had to try it right away. Sweet, fruity with a hint of something tart. So I put it on without looking at the notes. Big mistake. As is usually the case, rose completely kills this one for me. All of the loveliness from the imp is gone and replaced by the sour, mashed rose petal scent I know and fear. No apple, no lemon, just headache inducing rosey doom. *sigh* Why do roses hate me?

In the imp and wet, I get sweet red apple and a hint of lemon, like someone squeezed lemon juice on apple slices to keep them from browning. The roses are there too, actually stronger than the lemon, but the lemon and apple are irrevocably paired in my mind.

Dry, lemony apple slices have gone away and left me with roses, which has always been a weak scent for me. I want to like it, but right now there just isn't enough to like.

In vial: A sunny mixture of lemon & apple. Rose can be detected in the background.

Wet on skin: The rose really comes out, with the lemon and apple cutting the sweetness often found in rose scents. It has sort of a brightness to it, especially when compared to a super-rosy oil such as Two, Five and Seven.

Dry: This is like the cool shade behind a rosebush. The lemon and apple have faded so that I cannot distinguish them individually- yet they are still present enough to keep the rose from becoming cloying.

Verdict: I expected this to be more foody, but it is definitely more like a living orchard than a bowl of fruit on your table. Perfect for spring!

yeeeah, i am only trying this one because i got it as a frimp. i steer clear of apple, usually. at first this seems like pure apple on me with a bit of tanginess from the lemon, but i get no rose. there's something sour in the background though, so maybe that's it? this doesn't work on me at all..it's kind of sickly sweet but combined with sourness. after awhile it smells like apples and dust. ha, i don't know, i knew it probably wouldn't work, but it was interesting to try!

Wet, fruity floral, more fruity than floral, and I'm having a hard time guessing the floral. 'Peeked' Why yes, it is rose, and a powdery one at that. After a bit, there is pretty much no fruit and all powdery rose. Not for me.

Bottle: rose and lemon. Could be lots of foodiness here. I fear.

Wet: heavy rose, none of the apple, a hint of the lemon.

Dry: rose remains most prominent, and as much as I do well with rose as a floral the lemon is sweetening it up in a strange way..not unpleasant, but strange - clearly it's not just the rose, but the other notes don't stand on their own enough for me to tag.

Later: Still with the rose, but calmer. I think it's ok on me.

In the mp -- green apple and rose, in that order.

Wet -- rose and green apple, in THAT order. Not sure this is really granny smith apple, it may be the lemon combining with apple that gives that fresh sweet-tart impression. Very cheerful.

Dry -- fresh and pretty but for fresh rose I like Two, Five & Seven more with the grass note adding freshness. The apple-lemon here just makes it smell like shampoo. Pretty shampoo, but still shampoo. I suppose I'll wear the imp though, on a day I want fruity clean freshness.

Yep, there's apple and rose in here, alright! This actually worked surprisingly well on me for the better part of an hour, but after awhile, the lemon came out and clashed with the rose, leaving me with a soapy rose disinfectant scent on my arm. It's a pity, too; it started out with such promise.

::: DELIRIUM :::

Whisked away on puffs of paroxysm? Stranger things have happened. It is difficult to get a lucid fix on this one with all the things that can be associated with or invoked by the very word ‘Delirium’. Perhaps this is the point, yes? Since this one hails from Bewitching Brews then it would be reasonable to expect something of a truly altered state. Doesn’t that happen with all of these anyway?

The notes listed are simple and pretty enough. While this one was likely formulated with Her in mind, specifically, it would potentially have an ebullient affect on whomever was fortunate enough to wear a dazzling dollop. One would have the capacity to transcend time and space. Delirium threatens whimsical legerdemain. Delirium invites everyone to wade right on in.

From the Ear: Craziness. At first impression, one is tempted to think that this would work better if one’s brain were a different shape. Lupine, maybe. All three of the notes are definite simultaneously. These haven’t exactly blended yet. All three are as distinct as they are perfect. If this was a jigsaw puzzle, all three of these would complete the puzzle perfectly… the only problem is that there is only one hole in which to fit. Delirium is a specter chuckling in the sizzling rays of summer. This is the way that your head spins as you swing higher and higher, your feet almost kissing leaf and bough; laughter is better than any kind of crazy shade and it’s multicoloured. The rope might be burning your hands, but that’s just another part of a very good, almost magical day.

Embrocation: Hello, amperage! This is the olfactory equivalent of an unexpected magnesium flare in a coal mine. The Rose and the Lemon are positively operatic and yet the Apple has swollen; stolen the show as it rides into the spotlight astride a lion. Delirium is outrageously good! The expectation was that this was going to be overtly feminine and that it would have to be admired vicariously from somewhere in the periphery. Happily, this is not at all the case! Delirium is bright and fresh; bestowing the wearer with confidence, allure, and radiating power.

Admittedly, there was a brief moment where this one had a passing resemblance to something along the lines of Fruit-Loops, but that moment passed quickly and the more gorgeous elements quickly overwhelmed the imagination. Delirium is in the same fragrance family as Whitechapel and Villain (IMHO). This is something you would want to wear when you hope to capture attention. Delirium manages to be inspiring and innovative while being classic at trhe same time.

Delirium is an excellent fragrance for Him or Her. This one is well worth of a 5 ml. purchase. Thank you very much to all the wonderful contributors at Black Phoenix Alchemy labs! 5 out of 5 for delirium.

1/11/2012: Delirium (Bewitching Brews)

Previous scents: Dove shampoo and Dove ‘fresh’ scented women’s deodorant/anti-perspirant.

In the bottle: Apple – not the hard kid, the soft, somewhat mealy kind – and rose.

Testing method: Swiped wand three times on inside of right wrist, twice on inside of left wrist.

Immediately: Apple, rose, and a teensy bit of lemon. I don’t understand why this is called Delirium. The notes make perfect sense together for me.

Fifteen minutes: Uh-oh – the lemon is coming out a little more, but the rose is threatening to turn powdery on me! Not that powder is bad, just… I don’t like it.

One hour: Apparently my skin turns everything to rose, because that’s all I smell – one very dusty, powdery rose. I’m sure the apple and lemon are tempering it from smelling like a prom corsage, and if I try I can still smell everything well-blended, but when my nose isn’t attached to my wrist all I get is rose, rose, rose, rose, rose! Floral and feminine.

Several hours: This is a very light scent, and not much remains here. All I have to say, once again, is rose. My skin just really amps roses, I guess. Not a very heavy rose, but perhaps a pink one, because overall, this scent is pastel pink to me.

Overall: I got this for free and I’m not emotionally attached to it. Into the swap pile it goes, and now I have a warning not to go too near anything that has a rose note for fear that it will overpower the others.

DISCLAIMER: Due to differences in skin chemistry, inherent olfactory powers, and other scents that an individual might use throughout the day (i.e. scented deodorants, shampoos, room sprays, cooking odors), these oils will smell different on every individual. This review is only intended to illustrate my personal experience wearing it throughout the day.

Delerium is mostly rose on me. It's the same kind of rose that's in Perspehone - very bright and fresh. The lemon in this scent stops it from becoming as sweet as Persephone, the apple is there and adds some juiciness, but its mostly dominated my rose. I actually like the combination of these three notes, they make quite a fresh, vibrant combination. It's not a big bottle purchase for me, but it is nice.

In bottle: This is beautifully blended. I’d consider it lemon dominant, but really, the lemon brings out the crispness of the apple; the sweetness of the apple compliments the rose; the rose softens the lemon. I am not skin testing as rose and lemon are terrible on me. Still, consider this a blend tat is more than the sum of its parts.

I wanted to like this, but something in the combination of ingredients + my skin + my nose did not work. It smelled like it had gone off, somehow. It was a swapped imp, and I've heard that citrus oils don't have a long shelf life by perfume standards, so that might have been the problem - or it might have been my skin's erratic reaction to rose (Harlot works, Whip doesn't, Hymn goes a bit soapy but in a good way) combined with the apple and the citrus.

To my nose: Rosy apples!

On me: Delicious, tart, juicy green apples,swirled with pink roses. Smells very summery and fresh. Then the lemon emerges,but takes the backseat for now. The apples dies fast, too fast if you ask me,and it's now lemon and roses.

Fifteen minutes later: Lemon and roses. I wantmore of those apples, darn it!!

Two hours later: lemony roses.

I quite like lemony roses. It smells very freshand clean, and somehow summery. But I want more of those apples in thebeginning of Delirium. It made my mouth water for a bit!

Edited by Missy_killer