Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Titus Andronicus

Dark musk and black amber with frankincense, red sandalwood, neroli and bergamot.

It's nice enough, if you like middle eastern smelling stuff, which I do when it's not too heavy. This is not too heavy, and is deeper in effect than I had expected, which is actually in it's favor. This reminds me a little of Snake Oil, but in a good way.

Another one that I sniffed without knowing the notes. This one made me say "WHOA what smells so good??". It's...hard to describe. Sweet and mysterious and really nice (although it smelled better on my friend than on me, and I suspect the frankincense is involved here). I never ever would have even thought to try this, based on the name, but it's not nearly as manly and rough as I thought it would be. Very pretty, really.

imp: amber and sandalwood with a hint of musk.

wet: musky frankincense with orange (it's likely the bergamot i'm picking up). this reminds me of a less creamy version of snake oil.

dry: spicy amber. amber always has a long staying power on me and this one in particular seems to stay put for a good long while. very nice.

It's hard to describe how Titus Andronicus smells on me. It's too light and powdery to really nail down the scent. I think I'm getting mostly neroli and bergamot. It's definitely not for me.

My skin loves resins, so the instant I put Titus Andronicus on it's ALL frankincense with a touch of amber -- no neroli, no bergamot (and that's considering I have a cup of Earl Grey tea next to me!). And, after a few minutes, it begins to go to powder. :P

The amber in Titus Andronicus is going straight to baby-powder on me (as amber seems to enjoy doing this to me, I'm not exactly shocked).

The notes backing it up are intensely spicy and woodsy.

This is a strong, proud scent. It's actually a little too strong for me, though. It's giving me a bit of a headache and I have a feeling it's going to be diffucult to get it off.

Whew! Really intense. *Biff* right in the face! I hope some amber-phile will enjoy this imp, as I will be passing it along.

Bottle: Spicy resins

Wet: Resins and herbally. I get the frankincense and the musks.

Drydown: I don't think dark musk or neroli works for me. I also don't think I have the personality to pull of a scent this 'dark' It's very spicy and foreboding.

3.0 outta 5

I'd been dying to try this from the notes in the description. Wet, the neroli and bergamot come through and I thought oh, nice summer scent. I like it. And then by the very end of the day I thought I must have put something else on , it was so incensy, which I love. Good throw. Lasted forever! Not too masculine. Love it!

The dark musk blends well with the two resins. I expected this to be a darker, more masculine fragrance but instead I find that it is a gender-neutral fragrance with a lightness to it. That lightness is in thanks to the neroli and bergamot. I find this blend to be soothing and grounding and I'm keeping it on hand in my collection. :P

According to the description, and in the imp, Titus smells like something I am sure to love. Mmmm. Spicy resins and lovely bergamot!!.

So, I put some on, and immediately a big pile of clean fresh diapers looms into view. Uh oh. I adore amber and I thought I could do it in any form, but not here!!

After a bit, I get a sour, spoiled scent that makes me a bit nauseous. I have to wash it off. WTH? I was really looking forward to this scent.

I'm going to try it again in a couple months and see what develops. :P

Just on: Hello musk! And there's the bergamot around the edges.

Later: A nice balance of musk, wood, and orange-ness. Reminds me somewhat of Dracul, only without Dracul's cold pine forest top notes.

After a few hours: Mellow bergamot-and-neroli duet with enough musk in the background to make it kind of creamy. I like it, but I'm not getting the potent incense notes other people seem to get, which is kind of a pity.

This one is good even if there is something in there that makes my eyes water a little, which could be the bergamot since it's a little Earl Grey-ish. I can smell the amber and sandalwood and a lot of spicy stuff here. But the amber is the most prominent one. Let's see what happens when it dries a little.

Oh it gets better! The sharp note settles and gives way for sweet amber with a hint of vanilla. Oh man it's gorgeous!

Bottle of this one!

I am getting an orange-black impression from this, a sweet, dusty and very dark resin scent with bitter neroli and bergamot. The neroli-bergamot combination gives it something orange-y.

It makes me think of orange chocolate, even as it really is no chocolate scent at all. It is gender neutral and gets slathered quite liberally on my boyfriends as well as myself :P.

A bottle must be somewhere in my future...

in the imp: spicy, strong, and somehow reminding me of christmas :shrug:

wet on skin: there's something that is reminding me of black pepper, which i normally can't stand, but which works well in this blend. there's also some sweet wood notes surfacing, and a strong under note of amber.

dry down: the amber comes more to the forefront, but this is still a heady, strong mix.

in all: i don't usually give gender to scents here at BPAL, but i have to say, this one is totally masculine. not to say i wouldn't wear it, mind you :D but i sorta want to experience it on some huge, burly dude covered in tattoos about to get on his 'cycle. mrow! :P

Imp: Hey, I thought Titus was a green scent! I seriously thought it was and it messed with my head when I opened this imp. It smells very masculine, sexy and sensual. If this were the thirteenth century and I lived in olfactory heaven, this guy would have just come back from the crusades smelling like this instead of the real BO of men who had just come back from the crusades.

Wet: Manliness.

Dry: OMFG. The amber comes out and sweetens everything to a feminine degree and the musk amps and everything just dries down beautifully. This is a dense and complex amber scent and it is gorgeous.

Throw: For an amber scent? Immense. For a normal scent: eh.

Overall: While I happen to have a gentleman caller and kind of think this would smell nice on him, I'm a little afraid of giving up my imp.

Expectations: I imagine this smelling like someone set an entire incense shop on fire.

In vial: Somewhat similar to Snake Oil, only spicier. Not a bad start.

On skin, wet: Oh man, it hates my skin. Or my skin hates it. Instant powderiness and an indescribable sharp smell.

On skin, dry: Still extremely powdery, and it's got a bit of citrus to it now. Must be the bergamot. *Googles* Erm, and the neroli as well. Learn something new every day.

After time: Spicy oranges and sandalwood. Plus the powder of doom.

Conclusion: This could be so nice if not for the amber. It's probably going in the swap/sell pile, but I'll keep sniffing it occasionally and see if I change my mind.

I didn't see the resemblance to Snake Oil at all, at first. It was spicier, quite nice. And then it powders out like Snake Oil does. Boo :P Dusty incense bits, with some powdery vanilla.

Sniffed in imp: Sweet, dusty, woody incense and musk. Masculine, I'd say.

Very masculine in the bottle, Juicyfruit gum on skin. Turns to juicy citrus. Not quite the Lemon Pledge experience I had last time, thank goodness LOL

In The Bottle

Sweet musk with a touch of bergamot

On Application

The neroli and bergamot emerge quickly to lighten up the musk.

Dry Down

Lemon after about 5 minutes which alternates with the bergamot. Nice. This ends up being quite a light scent and I would definitely classify it as masculine or unisex , at least. This constantly morphs from sweet musk to sharp lemon and the more rounded bergamot in between. I will definitely wear this. Not alot of wear length, though.

Rating (0-5)

Initial thoughts: I sniffed this at a friends house and went "Hmmm... getting some of that". Now, looking at the notes, I can kinda see why - black amber and frankincense, yummeh. Bergamot, very good. Neroli... neroli... I'll remember what the hell that is in a minute.

In the imp: Sandalwood, bergamot, something fresh which might be the neroli, and frankincense, in that order. Mmmmm... this is fresh and a little sharp, but it's got a distincly haughty masculinity to it.

On the wrist, wet: Sharp, slightly sweet, slightly orangy - is that the neroli? Heady bergamot and frankincense. Not much sign of the darker notes coming out to play. This actually smells like green-flavour Starburst.

Twenty minutes later: There's a musky cologne quality to this, but unfortunately it's mostly drowned by the sharp sweet stickyness of the neroli and the bergamot. This is far too orangey for me to wear - I dislike oranges with a passion.

Verdict: Swap

Tl;Dr: A clean, masculine blend heavily overpowered by sticky sweet neroli.

Wet: all of the above flavors are present; nice blend..

Dry: masculine scent; lots of darkness and spice.

Verdict: great for my man, not for me

In bottle/imp: Dark, thick, smoky resin.

Immediately on skin: Immediately I smell the musk, amber, frankincense, and sandalwood. This is a dark, smooth smoky resin scent with a lot of warm musk and sandalwood. The musk in this is very fragrant and warm… not nearly as dry as black musk is on me, so dark musk must be different.

After a little while: The blend hasn’t changed much since I applied it. This is mainly a dark, warm musk scent with a slightly sweet resinous undertone. The amber, musk, and sandalwood create a very nice warmth in this and it’s not a dry scent at all.

Overall Impressions: This to me seems like Hunter Moon 07’s more masculine brother. It’s warm, dark musk with a nice current of warmth running through it. The frankincense adds a touch of resinous goodness and the other notes add almost a bit of spice. This is a more unisex scent and I could imagine it smelling very nice on a guy.

I've gotten Titus Andronicus three times as lab frimps, and I figured it was time :P

So far as the notes go, I expected to like the blend quite a lot. Frankincense is a definite favorite of mine, and I also react favorably to musks. Amber, I haven't really had much experience with. In the vial, though, and on the skin, I didn't really get fireworks. It pretty much ended up like single-note Frankincense to me, which I like, but didn't end up having any depth, just lingered light and sweet on my skin all day.

Vial: Heavy, musky amber with a incense-y hint.

Wet: Whoa, slow down there amber and frankincense. These notes blended together are a bit too aggressive for me.

Dry: Most of the imps I've tried tend to disappear or become completely subdued, but this wasn't the case. Even after a whole day of school and work the amber was still nagging at me.

I found this blend to be extremely masculine and powerful, maybe a little too much than it should be. I love frankincense blended with less "masculine" notes because I believe they balance the resin smell nicely; that wasn't the case with Titus. Not something I'd wear nor would I want my future husband to wear, really. Oh well.