Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Eye

A piercing, radiant perfume: dragon's blood resin, lily of the valley, lilac and galbanum.

This was almost pure dragon's blood on me, with a hint of metallic salt. The mix of floral sweetness and tangy saltiness was interesting, but not something I think I want to smell like. This will probably go into the swap pile for someone else to try.

I just got this as one of my first imps from an LJ purchase :P I couldn't smell the lilac in the imp at first, and it smelled like Generic Floral Perfume (I know next to nothing about notes) but when I put it on, the lilac came right out. I can't make out anything but the lilac, though (she said, shoving her wrist up to her nose), and I don't know how much of the floral is really dragon's blood. But yay! My first imp! :D

ETA: I've had it on for an hour now and I'm starting to pick up something a little salty under the lilac. Neat.

Edited by eisoj5

dragonseye.jpg

You can certainly smell the lilac and dragons' blood in this blend, and it is a happy combination, almost delirious. I would wear this blend especially in May and if I were going to be graduating from high school, that's how happy it is. Very youthful and it does last a long time, as all the Ars Draconis do (at least on me). I think the combination is a real charm and it would be one of the first ones I would suggest to anyone who is curious about Dragons' Blood in a blend and liked florals.

Edited by olympia301

More dragon's blood, do I even dare? I'll have to prepare myself for a migraine, I think...

In the vial - Odd, the overpowering lilac floral that I get from all the Ars Draconis scents is being tempered by something... It's still ungodly strong, but there's what I can only describe as a modest floral undertone that's trying to keep it all in line.

Wet - LILAC. Gah, so strong...

Drying - Oh! The lilac is fading and the lily is coming to the forefront! It's a beautiful light and slightly powdery floral. MUCH better.

Dry (40 minutes later) - Okay, this is ODD. Suddenly I've shifted from smelling like a heady bridal bower of lily and lilac to... plastic. Or rather, rubber. I smell like old shoe rubber with just a tinge of lilac to it... What the heck is this stage?

Overall - Oddly the plasticy smell faded in and out, intertwining with the lilac/lily scent all day. After about 4 hours, it faded to a very powdery and faint lilac that has been lingering about 8 hours now. I'm not a fan of lilac at all, but I didn't get a headache from it, so I'll give it another chance later, I think.

Initial sniff: You know...I don't think Dragon's Blood is for me. It really does smell "perfumey" to my nose. Not at all deep and rich like I imagine a real Dragon's Blood to smell like. Can't pick out much more beyond that.

Swipe: Dragon's Blood and some other light notes...damnit, why can't I actually pick out lilac? It's like my second favorite flower smell ever and I can't actually distinguish which one it is... :P

Drydown: This went soapy on me. Not like, bad soapy, just soapy. Clean and sweet and floraly and bright. Like what clean old ladies smell like, not the stinky decrepit ones. :D Seriously, though. It's a pretty soap...

Overall: You know, I'm just not feeling the Dragon's Blood. Neither am I feeling the florals. It's a pretty scent and clean...but something about it wiggles my inner bits and turns me off.

I love Dragon's Blood and I love lilac, but somehow the two combined together, while a delicious scent in and of itself, was just too floral and strong and potent for me to wear as a regular perfume ... I think for that reason I will stick with my two favorites, Dragon's Bone and Dragon's Hide, because the smoky incense of those cuts the floral just enough to make a perfect blend.

On a scale of 1-5, I would love this as a candle, or room scent, but as a perfume I give it about a high 3.

Imp: Flowers, dragon blood

On me: Generic floral, but long lasting.

Verdict: Meh. Not me, but definitely was worth trying out :P (I suspected if there was one in the Draconis line that didn't fit me, this would be it..)

Bottle (Imp): Dragon's blood, flowers, and something aquatic.

Just On: Dragon's blood, something watery, and flowers.

An hour or two later: Mostly dragon's blood.

Around 6 hours: It's almost gone now, so I get the last vestiges of dragon's blood.

12 hours: It's pretty much disappeared now.

Overall: I really like this. Yet another Ars Draconis scent I like, and now I only have two left to try before I've finished out the group. If I were rich, I'd likely buy the whole set, even the one that doesn't work on me, just to have it. Since I can't I'll settle for using my imps.

After reading other reviews: Hmm, aquatic is probably lily. This is a nice scent, and I like it.

Normally, lilies are instant soap on me, so I was bracing myself for the soap factor when I applied Dragon's Eye. And surprise, surprise... no soap! This scent is mostly lilac on me (though I can detect the lily-of-the-valley lurking in the background), anchored by the resins. During the drydown, the resins deepen and nudge the lilac to the side. Dragon's Eye is not your conventional floral scent and is likely headed for the keeper pile.

First impression: Love at first sniff - not too sweet, not too flowery and definitely commands your attention. I think there's iris or a similar bulb flower in this. The dragon's blood is very well-controlled - I can't really pick it up at all.

Dries down to: A light and lovely everyday scent. This would be more of a "staple" (every day) scent, as opposed to a "wow" (special occasion) scent for me.

Additional comments: I'm surprised to see there's both lily-of-the-valley and lilac in this blend. I can usually identify them immediately. I think the bitterness of the galbanum controls all the other notes, makes them "play nice together" and prevents any of them from being "screamingly" obvious.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

I'd stayed away from Ars Draconis because I didn't care for the ones a friend had let me smell (of course I can't remember which ones they were now). Someone on the Lush forum had recommended this when I said one of my favorite scents was lily of the valley. I just put some on and it's *lovely*. The lilac (which I also like as a scent) and the lily seem to be locked in a perpetual dance, neither is too strong but both are apparent. We had lilac trees growing next to our garage when I was younger, so I always think of spring when I smell them. I get what Sara was saying about soap, but it's a good soap. :P Good throw as well, Dragon's Eye is a new favorite. Out of 5, I'd give it 4.5.

My Impression:

Such unexepected floral sweetness for a Dragon's Blood blend. Mostly Lilac and Lily of the Valley. The Dragon's Blood is very light in this one and makes for a interesting and sweet blend overall. I think of all of the Dragon's Blood blends I have tried thus far this is one of my favorites. It is very feminine and girly and really sings sweet. :P

Oh this one is fabulous. So far I have LOVED every dragon's blend that I've tried. This one is no exception. The dragon's blood smells so lovely smeared over lilac, and the lily of the valley gives it a wonderfully perfumey undertone. It's so sexy and feminine and I am in love!

In Dragon's Eye, I get the dragon's blood and a smoky floral behind it. That's all -- nothing spectacular, but that's just my skin chemistry, I'm sad to say. It loves Dragon's Blood and doesn't let anything else play nicely.

Immediately on the skin it is very floral, the lilac and lily really jump out on me. After a few minutes I can barely smell the dragon's blood, but i have to be looking for it. Definately a more floral, girly scent that actually gets a little powdery on me. I like it but not something I would normally wear.

Every scent that I try with dragon's blood in it (with the exception of Dragon's Milk) conjures up the same mental picture when I wear it. A picture of rotting wildflowers in a dirty vase. Dragon's blood usually turns into an awful rotten floral smell. In Dragon's Eye, that rotten smell is backed up by more perfumey florals. Department store florals with a decomposing edge...

After wearing this for about 15 minutes I started to feel irritated and was getting a headache, so I just washed it off. It started to get a bit of a salty aquatic note, but the rotting flowers were too much for me.

In the Bottle: Very light, I can barely smell anything but a little soap. It's a very lovely strawberry color though. :P

Drydown: lots and lots of sharp smelling soap.

Dry: I smell the lilac and the Lily of the Valley. This takes a long time to settle down but when it does, WHAM, it opens up into a very feminine floral, a very lavender (in color) smelling floral if you will. Beautiful!!! I smell no Dragon's Blood whatsoever, only lilac and LOTV. This is so pretty, I would want to be wearing a long skirt or dress and jewelry for this one, it's chock full of feminine mystery.

Dragon's blood and oh-so-lilac. A bit too floral for me, I think. Love the dragon's blood, though. Pity the lilac spoiled it for me (but I'm not a floral person, really).

Wet (as best I can tell*): Lilac. I felt it towards the front of my forehead like an approaching storm... which is to say, headache.

Drydown: Surprisingly, the buildup of pressure fades somewhat; if this were a commercial perfume, right now I'd be washing it all off to avoid the pain to come, but I'm trusting in the Lab that the pressure-fade will continue. As it is, I smell floral; I don't know enough about dragon's blood resin to be able to tell whether I smell it. This has a lot of throw.

Worn: The lilac and lily of the valley (I can't identify galbanum either, yet) wind up blending well into one broader-band scent with only a slight pressure on my forehead, which doesn't hurt. It lasts for a while but eventually fades on my wrists, while somehow still leaving me with the impression that the room smells like it. When I sniff my wrists directly, it sometimes smells a little wilted, but when I wave my wrists in front of my nose, that brings me back to the broader floral. I may be able to smell just a hint of the salt others mentioned, but it could easily also be my imagination.

Conclusion: I like stretching my limits sometimes, and this scent does that. While it doesn't suit me right now, I think part of that is the season, so I'll save the frimp for spring and try it on when I go for a walk. I think it'll be great.

(* Caveat lector: the label was soaked in two other scents due to a mishap in the mail, so I can't get an accurate smell by sniffing the imp directly, and the scents rubbed off onto my fingertips just a little.)

This is a really soft and light florally Dragon's blood scent, it is very calm and peaceful/serene. I liked this one as the Dragon's blood wasn't as strong as in the other blends I have tried (Don't get me wrong - I love Dragon's blood usually but I liked this because it was different).

This smells like the sunblock I used to wear as a kid--not coconut smelling kind, but the kind that's just smells vaguely creamy, floral, and artificial. After a few minutes, this gets softer and the sunblock association is still there, but isn't so strong, as it starts to smell like a real floral. I'm not sure what lilac smells like, but I definitely get lily. It's quite nice, in a refined sort of way, but definitely not my sort of scent. The association I get in my mind from this scent is of a woman, dressed in a white dress, walking down a hill holding a bouquet of fresh-picked lilies (not sure what lilies grow on, but let's pretend they don't grow out of bushes). It's quite odd that I didn't get any dragon's blood in this scent.

Took a lot of getting used to as it had a slight rotting scent at first. After awhile, I found it quite pleasing.

In bottle, it smelt leathery and floral. Very nice and it grew on me nicely.

On skin, it failed completely. It irritated my wrists and became a not so good powder scent.

In the burner, it fares much better! I can smell the lilac and it's most certainly a floral, but it's a subtle floral. Beautiful scent in burner.

Nice, but not something I'd get a bottle of. 6/10.

Dragons blood and florals? My poor nose is confused!

The sweet sticky rich resin of the dragons blood note paired with the light crisp fresh floral notes are interesting in the vial.

On my skin it turns to spicey powder :P No thanks....

I got a deep mix of lilac and lily of the valley out of this when I sniffed it at Black Broom lo these many months ago, so when I had a chance to get an imp of my own I jumped at it. First on, this was predominantly a not-unpleasantly-soapy lilac. That sort of hovered around for most of the day, but after about, oh, 3-4 hours I started complementing customers in my store on their perfume: "Is that you? What are you wearing? No? Huh." It took me a while to realize that it was actually me, because what I smelled was a divine white-musky scent with a floral undertone. It stayed like that for the rest of the day. I came home and re-read the decription, and was shocked to find that there wasn't any mention of a musk. Was it the combination of the dragon's blood and galbanum that smells like musk on me? Possibly. My skin has a delightful habit of making a sweet musky undertone in florals where there shouldn't be one (see my review of Juliet). Also, yesterday I wore Black Opal and I'm wearing the same cardigan. So that could be it. But whatever made it morph into that musky floral, it sure was yummy! If it doesn't do it next time I wear Dragon's Eye, I'll add a dab of Black Opal. So nice! :P