Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Eye

A piercing, radiant perfume: dragon's blood resin, lily of the valley, lilac and galbanum.

I really wanted this to work out for me, but sadly, it's just really too floral and soapy on my skin. It could be really lovely and deep on someone whose skin doesn't do this to floral scents though! I can see the potential and the beauty in this one, but my skin kills it dead. Edited by Shollin

This is a really classic, everday, pretty perfume. The dragon's blood gives it a bit of a kick, and it is really quite sexy. The florals mix gorgeously with the dragon's blood - sharp, but not too sharp. This is a pretty, floral, spicy perfume that would be perfect for everyday use.

Dragon's Eye

In the imp: clear red dragon's blood, it's clarity enhanced by soft florals.

Wet on skin: now the floral notes come out more, lilac and lily of the valley.

Dry on skin: this is very nice. It does indeed have a piercing clearness. I smell lilac and lily of the valley, gentle spring florals with the red scent of dragon's blood. I have no idea what galbanum smells like-I'm assuming it's that slightly greenish, piercing and slightly sharp scent that I get here, but I'm not sure if that's that, or just another one of the notes interacting with dragon's blood.

After a while: the lily and lilac notes are now dominant, with dragon's blood in the background. this is a light, gentle, dewy springtime scent now.

The drydown is pretty much all floral, a pretty flowery scent.

Verdict: for a scent with dragon themed name, this scent is surprisingly pretty and dainty! At first, it's very clear scent of dragon's blood enhanced by lilac, and the florals play nicely with the dragon's blood. As the scent dries down, the flowers come forward and the scent is fresh, gentle, and very much a scent of springtime, soft dewy lily of the valley and lilac. It's a very nice scent-not a big bottle contender but I think this will be very nice for spring. I just wish it were a tiny bit fiercer to suit it's dragon theme.

Dragon's Blood and lilac. Thats all I'm getting. Its very sweet and soft perfumey, but it smells a lot like dragon's blood soap.

Such a pretty floral! I love the spice of the Dragon's Blood, and the next thing to reach my nose is the Lily of the Valley. I forgot how springlike that smelled. A little lilac pops in to make an appearance, and it makes for a fresh and uplifting experience. This is another "Wow, I wouldn't have ordered this, but I'm glad I got it" scents. A most pleasant surprise.

at first: lovely. dragon's blood, lily, and lilac.

on: lily, lilac, and dragon's blood. an interesting combination. i think i'd like this.

half an hour later: mostly lily and lilac, but a bit musty, which isn't good.

1 hour later: too heady. lots of lily and lilac, but they're too much for me together.

1.5 hours later: sweeter and pretty. mostly dragon's blood and lilac, with a touch of lily.

overall: for a lilac scent, i like bat's blood much better. i just don't think i can handle the musty stage of this oil.

Imp: I wasn't expecting such a floral from a DB blend. Its strong lilies and floral with just an undercurrent of the spicy cherry I associate with wet dragon's blood resin.

Wet: This goes on straight up soapy. I was afraid of that, given the intensity of the florals in the imp. I think the lily is responsible for the soapifying factor. I can actually catch a whiff here and there of distinguishable lilac (impressive, since I'm usually horrible at picking out florals). There is just a hint of sweet dragon's blood to this, but it fades in about an hour. By 2-3 hours it has faded into a vaguely nice-floral-soap skin scent, and it fades quickly past the 3 hour mark.

Overall: Not for me. I don't do florals much, so this didn't come as a surprise. I'm glad I gave it a shot, though. This is definitely a unique Ars Draconis, since I don't usually think of DB blends so strongly floral.

Once I read lily and lilac in one brand, I just knew I absolutely had to have it.

In the vial: Lily and lilac.

On me, I also smell lily and lilac fused into one angelic floral. Beautiful. I'm not sure what galbanum smells like, and the dragon's blood kind of hid away from me, but the flowers... so pretty, and with so much incredible staying power! They stay true on me until they fade, which can take 12 hours and more!

I love this blend. It has recently been dethroned from its exalted place of "Diva's absolute number 1" by 'Anne Bonny', but I'm definitely gonna get a bigger bottle of this (especially since my imp is almost empty).

Edited by Diva Urd

Let me say up front that I love lilacs. I've had good luck so far with Ars Draconis blends, and so was thrilled to try this one. It surprised me by being so different from the rest, but still a member of the family, so to speak. It's sweet and green and spring... a little dragon, flitting about through lilac bushes, much like a hummingbird, when it's finally warm outside again... that's what image this scent evokes for me. A tiny, hummingbird, dragony thing. With spring flowers and sweet grasses. Delightful, in all.

In the bottle: Sweet and deep lily of the valley with lilac undertones. Very very rich floral.

First on: A hotter smell comes through... this must be the Dragon's Blood, though I don't know what that resin smells like. It makes it rather spicy and sweeter still.

Dry: This is a long-lasting scent with a lot of throw. Overall it's a little too strong and heady for me. Probably not one I'll keep.

This was my very first experience with bpal oils. Loved it from the first sniff and made me a permanent fan from then on. Can't wait to try more. :P

The bottle is a pale red color; much less disturbingly blood-like than Dragon's Musk.

Scent in bottle: Lilacs and dragon's blood and some other sort of light floral.

Scent on me:

Wet -- Wonderful fresh sun-warmed lilacs, plus dragon's blood.

Dry -- A garden of lilac bushes. With a dragon sitting in them. :-)

Conclusion: This may be my favorite girly-floral one. I'm still not sure I need more than an imp's worth of girly-floral, but I am very fond of lilacs. It's very strong...my hand has this cloud of lilacs floating over it.

I adore lilacs, but I'm not a big fan of lilac scents. Most times, they come out too sweet, cloying, rather than with the gentle powdery undertones of the flower. I'd all but given up on lilac scents, but decided to give this one a shot.

If I hadn't fallen in love with BPAL scents already, this one alone would have managed it.

For me, this is almost pure lilac. It's lilac with a hint of greenery and a hint of sharp, like a cut twig. It smells like hiding in the lilac bushes when I was a kid, when my cousin and I regarded the lilac bushes lining his back yard as the best place in the world to play. It mellows fairly quickly and more of the sharp scent comes out - the dragon's blood resin? - to wind around the lilac, but it never quite loses its gentility.

It's a perfectly fragile scent, traditional and timeless, and the only lilac scent you'll ever need.

I've tried every one of the Ars Draconis series and I haven't fallen in love with any of them. Until now.

Dragon's Eye sat in my to-try box for months. I wasn't eager because I'd had no love with any of the other dragons.

And that's how the Lab constantly keeps you on your toes. Oh, you don't like frankincense, eh? Smack! Try Tzadikim Nistarim and how do you like it now?

Dragon's blood not pleasing to your cranky sniffer? Thwack! Try Dragon's Eye and say that again.

I'm so glad that the Lab is around to make sure I don't get set in my ways. I love this beautiful floral oil, and every day I can't wait to try the next mysterious imp in the to-try box.

:P Smooches to the Lab!

In the bottle this is sweet and strongly floral; the dragon's blood has a sticky quality to it that is at once sugarish and pepper-like. The only floral I'm really picking up is galbanum, which is a superbly rotten sweet to me. Once on me, this smells like soap; not nasty store bought soap but specialty handmade soap - it's lilac prominently with a touch of lily to liven this up a bit while the galbanum just sulks in the background as a sweet scent still. My eyes are watering within a minute of trying this on, holy hell this is strong - this has a throw like a major league pitcher. As it dries, the soap scent lessens - slightly; now it's powdery soap, like your skin smells just after a nice hot bath. Still not exactly what I'd call radiant, although it is piercing my sinuses with thousands of little white-hot pokers... It doesn't lose the powder-soap tang as it warms, which is a challenge what with the windows open in the hope of not killing myself with this one, I do admit. All told, it's too strong for me and I have to say enough is enough: this scent simply is not for me.

I’ve been inspired to test my Dragon’s Eye imp by the GC swap.

Wow – I can really smell the lily of the valley and the lilac. This oil reminds me of my grandmothers house for some reason and hot summer days when I was growing up. I’m not sure what galbanum smells like. In all of the Ars Draconis scents that I’ve tried, the dragon’s blood is a very small component in the scents; this oil is no different. It seems to be there more in a supporting role rather than taking central stage. This reminds me more of a traditional, old fashioned perfume or toilet water than a BPAL oil. As it wears on, the florals continue to dominate.

Overall thoughts, scentwise it's not for me but it's certainly a very evocative oil.

bottle:

dragons blood, almost a watery version

wet:

interesting blend of florals and dragons blood. Hints of lilac and lily of the valley.

dry:

really like it! Florals that I like, and the dragons blood keeps it from getting too sweet/heady.

overall:

like it!

rating: 7/10

Interesting. Lilac is normally a soft, powdery scent to me, but Dragon's Eye is living up to its description of "piercing". It's a bright, springtime floral scent, but there _is_ a strange clarity to it - not sharp or unpleasant, just... piercing. This dragon has crystal-clear, summery-sky blue eyes...

Far and away my favourite of the dragon blends so far. Good throw and staying power!

(Occassionally when I wear it I get too much lilac, and the scent turns into a soft pale purple powder scent - pleasant enough, but not as nice as the dragon eye - which stops this from being a top ten.)

really beautiful lilac. if i didn't know better i'd never think there was dragon's blood in this. (my nose is not the most sophisticated :P ) very fresh and springy...it's not perfumey at all, just really like smelling fresh lilacs! gorgeous! (thank you, lab, for a frimp i never would have chosen, but still love!)

This is a very bright-smelling floral blend that's very slightly fruity. It's a really, really bright blend. And the oil is bright red! Which is cool. This is a bit too strongly soapy for me, though, and the combo of dragon's resin with the sharp florals is sort of disconcerting. I like this one, but I don't see myself wearing it very often because it smells so very much like soap on me.

Dragon’s Eye - This is one of the most gorgeous Dragon’s Blood scents I’ve encountered in my life. I think it’s due to the lilac note, which is sweet and strong – stronger than the Dragon’s Blood. In the background, I sense the soft sweetness of lily of the valley. Two of my favorite flowers in one blend – I’m a very happy camper! This has the perfect amount of throw – noticeable without being claustrophobic. And while it doesn’t last as long on my skin as pure Dragon’s Blood, it’s got pretty good staying power. I’m going to wear this one a lot!

has anyone mentioned what a gorgeous colour the oil is? deep clear pink, almost the colour of the clear pink nailpolish used for the nail beds in french manicures. yum.

sniff from the imp: lilacs

on skin: lilac. no lily. no dragon's blood.

and a bit of a headache. not for me.

but the oil is so pretty....

I am a fan of dragon's blood resin, lily of the valley, and lilac. I'm not familiar with galbanum, but I've read that it's a bitter resin that's in the same family as asafetida (whoa!).

I have a funny relationship with florals. I tend to like either scents I consider "special" florals, which to me are atypical blends (to me) like Beltane '06 or Phantom Queen, or I like scents that showcase a single strong flower with spice, resin, vanilla, or musk. When you start mixing up a bunch of florals, they turn into a nose-blasting, unpleasant jumble to me. I was a little dubious about the lilac and lily of the valley mix, because of this. I received an imp as a freebie and gave it a try. Verrrrrry nice. There is kind of a four elements feel to this for me. The dragon's blood is warming fire, the galbanum is a teensy bit earthy (I think it's the galbanum anyway), the lily of the valley is airy, and the lilac seems dewy/watery to me. I am picturing a huge dragon's eye, feral, but somehow limpid. Every component seems very well-balanced.

I like this scent very much. 8/10.

The Imp of this fortnight is Dragon's Eye!

Sorry I'm not one of those people who do the "in the imp, on wet, dry" etc reviews which are fantastic, mine are a bit more basic but I still like to give my two pennies worth!

I am a huge fan of dragon's blood already so am a bit biased.

Dragon's eye to me is an even more floral, potent mixture of dragon's blood!. The lilac is what comes out after the initial whoosh of Dragon's Blood, with a faint whiff of Lily of the Valley.

If anything the other 3 florals in this blend just make the dragon's blood more interesting, after a while the dragon's blood wears off a bit and the other florals take hold. This blend has alot of throw on me!

In a word.... Gorgeous.

Reading descriptions and reviews, I had ranked Dragon’s Eye as ? (maybe).

Imp: reminds me of … uh-oh, antibacterial soap, the orange kind, the kind one sees everywhere these days, the kind to which I'm allergic.

On: (because I'm an optimist!) Yep, my eyes begin to burn; yet, the optimism wins, and I'm determined to give it a chance. And now I’ve let it go too long. Even after washing it off, my eyes are burning and I begin to itch all over. Sigh.

(Don't worry, a Benadryl took care of everything!)