Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Eye

A piercing, radiant perfume: dragon's blood resin, lily of the valley, lilac and galbanum.

Dragon's Blood is pretty subtle to my nose, period, I was really hoping to like the Dragon blends more than I have. I can smell the dragon's blood when I first put this on, alternating between the lilac/lily of the valley and that while it is wet. As it dries, for me it turns completely floral, and since I already have a single note lily of the valley that I never use, I think this will be going to the swaps.

In the Bottle

This is my first time trying any of the dragon scents so I’m not sure what toexpect, or what it typically smells like. On first sniff I’m getting a lot of lily of the valley. It’s not a typical floral or sweet smell, it’s got more depth to it.

On My Skin

Now that it’s on my skin I’m getting a hint of the lilac. I’m having a hard time deciding what exactly dragon’s blood is supposed to smell like. Right now it seems like a richer, deeper, lily of the valley smell with a touch of lilac and a little bit of spice. But that’s about it. I’m wondering if the dragon’s blood is the spice scent I keep catching a whiff of.

After a Bit

This is beautiful. I even got sniffed by the SO and the response was, “That scent is beautiful.” Wow.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 4.5 Throw – 3 Longevity – 2

Over all (not an average)– 4

Final Thoughts

I really like this scent. The fact that the SO likes it too seals the deal- I need to get a bottle. It’s very understated and very classy smelling. I need to try out some more scents with dragon’s blood.

In the imp:Not what I was expecting at all! Most of the reviews say that it's mostly lilac and lily of the valley...but all I get is dragon's blood. Very piercing, is right, but no florals at all. And lilac and lily of the valley are my two favorite flowers! Oh, sigh... :P

Wet: It's getting sharper and turning dirty. I might have to wash it off.

Dry: Smells like dirty soap. A bit like Irish Spring, but with somehting dirty behind it. I have to wash it off.

Overall: I was expecting more lilac and lily of the valley, and all I got was dirty. I didn't like this at all. This is my second dragon's blood scent (the other was dragon's hide) and I don't like either. I think I just need to stay away from dragon's blood...

This was a frimp from a lovely forumite. DBR, however is not my "thing", so I doubt any of these blends would work for me. Lilac just makes it sweeter to me when it is already sickenly so. I'd be curious how DBR would smell with something "darker", but not enough as to buy it

In the imp - Sour, long dead flowers. Hesitant to put it on. Oh, and I don't smell any dragon's blood.

Wet - Still somewhat sour...but lighter and more flowery. Still no dragon's blood.

Dry - I love it now, it's mellowed a lot and the sour smell is totally gone. I smell lily the lilac, and it's become a very soft, round smell.

Overall - I can put up with it being sour for a few minutes because I love the end result! Keeper.

ohw, would the fur from Atreyu had this smell? :D

it was a gifted imp, it stould on my wishlist for a long time,

cause I never had the guts to order one :P

I love it! there is a lot of Lily of the Valley and lilac in it and it smells very magical :D

it is shadowy, like between light and darkness..

it makes me think of smokey rooms filed with elves that are playing cards

maybe I need a bottle next winter!

Edited by lunaticana

In bottle: It is much as you would imagine, dragon’s blood and flowers. Wet: The flowers balance the resin nicely. It’s a sweet feminine thing with a sensual edge. The flowers are vaguely funereal, the blood, strong. Dry: Soft dragon’s blood tempered with flowers. Not much staying power.

In the imp: light DBR and florals. Mostly lilac.

Wet: Sour florals when first on, then the DBR blossoms a bit. The sourness of the florals lasts for a while, though it gradually fades and the florals become rich and heady. There's a faint marshmallow tinge.

Dry: Strongly floral DBR. Not my thing.

Whoa! I put this one on and it immediately brought back memories of being on the swim team back when I was little. It took me a minute to figure out why.... this smells exactly like the sunscreen I used to use! It smells good, but I think I will stick to using actual sunscreen if that is what I feel like smelling.

In the imp, fresh: Lily, lilac, light resins. Very pretty and girly.

Just dabbed on: All lily and lilac still. Grounded slightly - a little wood, and some spice - from the dragon's blood? not strong enough to tell for sure - but the lilac's definitely strongest.

After several minutes: Same. Girly! Sharp, but pleasant. 'Radiant' is definitely a good word.

After several hours: Still a surprisingly strong lilac-focused scent. Superlilac, light lily and a little resin for a bit of spice. Don't imagine I'll be in a mood for this too often, and it's not going to become my favorite Ars Draconis scent, but it's quite pretty. :)

Taking a Tour de Dragon's Blood

Imp: very soft. lotsa lilac

Wet: "It's lilac, bitches!" Very sweet. Picking up on the lily but not the DBR, oddly

Drydown: Now it's just lily of the valley. I get no DBR at all

Overall: Needs more Dragon's Blood

dragons blood, a floral and something i'm not familiar with. second sniff, dragon's blood and lily of the valley...its really really floral.

No dragon's blood for me here. Just floral. Which turns into high class perfume soap. :blink: Must wash off now. :ack:

Lilac does such strange things to me. It smelled oddly like celery + dragon's blood. Now on the drydown, it just smells like... SOAP.

in the imp: the sweet tang of the resin and lilac, one of my favourite flowers. In fact, both flowers are two of my favourite scents--I'm almost afraid to try this.

On the wrist: the lily of the valley comes through, made almost sour by the galbanum. (At least, I assume it'sthe galbanum--it's the only note I don't recognise.)

Oh, the throw on this is lovely--both flowers and the sweetness of the resin not being damped by the galbanum, which had worried me. Can it last?

50 minutes in and the galbanum muscles in, souring the beauty. I shall keep it on to see if it morphs again--the throw is still nice, but close to the wrist it's gone a bit sour. AFter a little over an hour, there is just a hint of lily and lilac, but the galbanum had conwuered. It's not unpleasant, but it's not the heady joy of the early scent. If it had stayed as beautiful as the first 45 minutes this would hve been a 9, as it is, I'm putting it at 8.

I'm not sure if this oil was meant to smell like honey and milk, but to me, it just does! The drydown, at least. In fact, it smells exactly like the soaps from L'Occitane which I absolutely adore. I don't know what dragon's blood smells like since I'm relatively new to BPAL, but all I got from the beginning were the florals (lilacs?). So on me it's lilac, honey and milk. And I love it! It's oddly comforting and sweet, but not overly. I may need a bottle.

Imp: The fruit-y, bubblicious scent of dragon’s blood! That’s all I can smell here with the exception of something hidden deep, way, way down.

Wet: That ‘something’ starts to come out in a whole bouquet. Flowers, especially the lilac, spring up and tone down the fruitiness of the resin.

Dry: It starts to blend well, both sides alternately vying for the top. One time it’s floral! and the next it’s dragon’s blood! After about an hour, it decides to play nice and blend together.

It’s a lovely scent, but I think I’ll be fine with just the imp. It doesn’t grab me the way some of the others do.

BPAL is the thing that it took to overcome my lifelong floral fears. I had a feeling it might, but I didn't want to get my hopes up too much before trying.

Freshly applied: Nice warm dragon's blood, lilac, a bit of lily. In the past I would have run screaming from anything that said it was supposed to smell like lilac, but this one is clear and true on me. Like real, fresh lilacs. Which I like very much, just not lilac car fresheners like most lilac products are.

Dry: The dragon's blood comes and it goes. When it's not there, it's mostly the lilac, which I'm perfectly happy with, but I like it in combination with the dragon's blood even more. Just when I think the dragon's blood has worn off for good, it wafts back again. Interesting effect.

In conclusion: I like this so much it might be a bottle. I am going to try the imp a few more times first though. At the very least, I am certainly very happy with the imp!

This was pretty heavily floral on me. The lilac was beautiful, but the lily of the valley turned this blend soapy on me. It was almost headache inducing, and disappeared on my skin within the hour.

Wow...this is lilac heaven on me (and that's a good thing)! It reminds me of the lilac bush out back behind my parents house which when I was younger I used to pick bunches from and make a fort underneath it's branches. Beautiful!

Hmm. Strange. I remember trying this on last year but not liking it. :umm:

Wet: A sharp, shrill pale floral. It smells a lot like jasmine even though that note is not listed. Perhaps its the dragons blood and lily. The throw on this thing is dangerous!

Drying: Its calming down now and getting more heady. I'd say its now a light purple. MMmm! This must be the lilac. Its very sweet with a delicately spicy base.

Dry: The throw has lessened and the blend has smoothed out and warmed over. There's a hint of plastic in the drydown when I sniff up close.

Well I like it well enough but I'll have to give it a test run and wear it to work tomorrow to see if that icky note goes away.

This comes out as a very true lilac to me, with a hint of dragon's blood in the background; odd, since I usually amp dragon's blood over florals, but then again there are quite a few florals here up against the dragon's blood. Reminds me more of Easter than dragons :lol: Guess that's just how it played out on my skin.

Edited by Invidiana

This one is very true to the lilac, and one of the few florals I can wear. The resin is more subtle, peeking from behind the perfect lilac (my favourite flower of all time) and lily. Towards the end it becomes an almost creamy, milky blend ~ but for me unfortunately, the scent fades within the hour.

I will keep and use this imp because I love the smell on my skin and it's a floral that doesn't go soapy on me.

Dragon's Eye

In the Vial: Clean, almost soapy dragon's blood. Definitely 'floral' to my nose.

Wet: Sharply clean and floral still. Very perfumey.

Drydown: Powdery, clean, and yes, still floral.

Verdict: Not for me. Swaperooni.

In imp: old fashioned Victorian florals (but not what I associate with real lilacs or lily-of-the-valley, which my grandma and mom grow). Reminds me of old ladies - not boding well for the scent.

Wet on skin: same florals as above, but somewhat sharper.

Dry on skin: gets slightly more powdery. Still really old lady. Drat!

In the end, this is not a scent for me. Which is disappointing because some of the other reviews have described it so glowingly. The smell in itself is very pretty, but the old lady association ruins it for me as a perfume. It's something that I like to smell, but not to smell like. I've never tried Dragon's Blood so I can't identify it in this scent, but I don't smell anything that could be described as powerful or commanding.