Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Glasgow

The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.

I needed this one to work, as I have a long-standing love affair with the city of Glasgow. To me it smells quite differently but this was a complete success.

I smell the heather a lot more than the berries. In the imp I couldn't really smell anything fruity.

On my skin it warmed up, literally. I applied it a minute before going out and it had so much throw that it felt as if all the town was perfumed. Not bad at all for a gentle floral. The blackberries came out, eventually. Yum.

I could easily get a bottle or three of this.

Glasgow-

In Bottle: Flowery, more flowery than fruity, and just a hint of mint?

Wet: Hm, a soap-like flowery smell. Potentially sneeze-inducing for me.

Dry: Huh! All soap and flowers flee and I am left with spearmint. Not a cold mint but a cloying spearmint all the same. Not really what I was hoping for.

Overall: Too cloying for me.

I immediately zoned in on Glasgow as my mother is a Glaswegian (living in the Netherlands now for the past 26 years) and I do like the scent of blackberries. Sadly this scent isn't really for me. It smells like it should in the imp and wet, rosy heather and blackberries, but it doesn't remind me of the Glasgow that I know and knowing my mother, it would be the same for her. I don't mind the flowery-ness of it, but it's a soapy scent and the fruity blackberry disappears on my skin leaving me with something that reminds me way too much of soap and baby powder.

ETA: I was forced to try this scent again as the imp has started leaking and I got it all over my hands. I'm actually tolerating the scent better now, I'm getting used to it. I certainly won't be buying a big bottle, but I don't mind using this now that I can't swap it.

ETA numero deux: I just wanted to strike out what I wrote over a month ago. I was just a newbie (still am, but don't tell anyone) and have now had more experience with the other Wanderlust blends and now fully understand what Beth has tried to create. This might still not smell like Glasgow the actual city, but thank the gods for that! The more I smell this (as I'm still forced to, the imp still leaks) the more it reminds me of the country side outside of Glasgow. It's not your exact scent kind of thing here, but more the romantic idea, the scent of good memories.

Edited by porcelain

Smells exactly like the description. To me, this isn't blackberry fruit but the gentle smell of blackberries on the summer wind. Reminds me of summers as a child living in the country, where blackberries grew wild everywhere and my mother planted heather by the door. It is indeed very rosy. Definitely getting a bottle of this.

This was very strongly heather. I didn't get the blackberries.

It's a nice scent, and it's one I'll wear from time to time, but I can't see myself getting a bottle of it.

I'm sorry, Lab, but this one just stank of cheap shampoo on me. No heather, no berries, just "urgh". :P

Oh, this exceeds all expectations.

This is wonderful. Blast of tart blackberries when wet, which just morphs wonderfully into the gorgeous heather. It's such a fantastic outdoor smell. Herby, heady and just makes me wish I was lying in the heather on a hillside with the boy.

Absolutely bottle-worthy unisex blend. I adore Glasgow. :P

Edited for a wonky typo.

Edited by funkmoppet

In the imp: pure heather, a little air-freshenery.

Wet: Heather, quickly blending with skin and becoming nicer.

Drydown: half an hour later, a hint of blackberry--not a full, round, berry scent, but very like being around blackberries growing outside. A scent, not a taste. Quite exquisite.

Dry: the berry and heather have evened out, and although this is not a strong or super-unique fragrance, it is beautiful. I don't know that I'll buy a bottle, but I'll certainly use up the imp. It's subtle enough for work and I'd like to try it in my hair as well.

Heathers and berries. So very nice. A great summer scent and probably a scent into winter. I really love the heather. I don't think I've smelled another bpal scent that has heather in it and if there was I didn't know it as much as I do with Glasgow. Very lovely scent.

What a beautiful scent. I couldn't wait to try this - my husband is actually from Glasgow so that first brought my attention to it - and from everything I read it sounded just gorgeous. I am most impressed. It is such a lovely fragrance. Also, it reminds me of something from my childhood. I can't remember what, but I'm enjoying it for that reason too.

This is just so lovely! It's restrained and... dignified? I don't know if that's an appropriate word for perfume, but that's how it feels to me. I was afraid of the heather at first, because that's exactly the kind of floral that I usually hate, but it's so light and subtle that it merely enhances the blackberry, not conflicts with it. And the berry is so soft, too -- it doesn't hit you in the face with tartness.

I was lucky in that as soon as I fell in love with this, someone put their bottle up for sale. It wasn't lasting even an hour on my skin, so I wanted to try from a bottle and see if slathering more on would help. Alas, it still disappears so quickly. That's the only negative thing I can say about this lovely blend -- it wafts over you with its softness and beauty, and then it's gone. :P

Dusty, powdery heather with a hint of berries. My name is heather, so I was anxious to give this a try in a dorky sort of way. Unfortunately, heather doesn't work on heather. :P

Edited by Babylon

Huh. Something about this is very tea-like to me... I had a blueberry white tea at Starbucks the other day and this is very reminiscent of that. The berry is really faint here.

Unfortunately, I thought the blueberry white tea was disgusting :P Glasgow is not disgusting, but straight-up tea with a hint of berry is Not My Thing, and so this moves along.

This scent is so gentle and lovely and it actually embodies Glasgow. When it was wet, it had a lot more of the blackberry in it and now the heather is really at the forefront. It's like a mildly fruity floral and it reminds me of a breeze running through blackberry bushes with the scent of heather in the air. Very pretty, I think I might buy a big bottle of this one. I was excited to try this one and I'm glad I did!

I love berries, I don't like green. But I had to give this a shot anyway.

Soft, sweet blackberries mixed with a green scent that reminds me somewhat of freshly cut grass. It's not a sharp green, more soft and sweet. I wore this while reading outside on a mild sunny late winter afternoon, and it really was the perfect scent for that. It's an early spring scent to me, when it's warm in the sun but there's a fresh breeze blowing softly.

So I did like this, but it's not really me either.

A strong, juicy scent of blackerries at first, with a pretty green floral (heather, I assume) that comes out later. Sadly this fades very quickly on me, within an hour or so. Might be one to try in my scent locket, when I eventually acquire one.

Bottle: perfumey floral

Wet: Softer floral, but.. uhoh, it seems to be going powdery on me

Dry: Soft floral and blackberries. It also seems to be fading pretty fast.. and has a slightly nauseating scent as it does.

Verdict: I don't particularly care for this one. I'd picked this up to send to a friend, but I don't think she'd care for it either. Swap pile.

in the bottle nice, vaguely blackberry, not terribly exciting

wet on skin WOW! this is... almost enough to render me speechless. it has this vague, jumbled-note perfume smell, but with blackberry lurking... i mean Lurking in the background. every sniff is like a "hmmmm... nice... WOW!"

dry on skin this goes a trifle soapy on me, but i don't mind! it's a fine, handmade, triple milled blackberry soap and it's pretty beyond reason.

I got this from Underline2! :D

In the bottle: Beautiful sweet berries, slightly damp and cold. It doesn't smell a thing like Glasgow, but it does put me in mind of it for some reason.

Wet on skin: This is just too gorgeous. It's Glasgow - or maybe a little town just outside Glasgow - in late spring, on the edge of summer. It's early in the morning. Everything's bathed in blue light. All the trees are covered in berries and snow and the sun is just coming out. This reminds me a lot of walking in Kelvin Park.

Dry on skin: Same as wet! :D

Conclusion: Bottle, bottle, bottle! :P

In bottle: Not very fruity – mostly leafy grays. Nice though.

Wet: Smells like heather. I’m not smelling any blackberry at all.

Dry: Heather with something that reminds me of blackberry leaf, but not the fruit. It’s pleasant though – I don’t know that I’d want a bottle, but it is quite nice.

Color: pale purple-gray

Throw: very faint – I have to sniff my writst

Overall: Nice, but I’ll be okay with an imp unless further testing makes me decide I need a bottle. It's completely like standing in Scotland on a misty day surrounded by blooming heather.

Oh my, this is gorgeous! Reminds me of mid-to-late summer, when the blackberries are starting to ripen, maybe just before a summer storm when the sky is ready to burst. A very pretty and peaceful combo between the heather and the berries. This one will be getting a lot of wear this summer.

Oh my, this is lovely. I, er, don't actually know what heather smells like, and it really doesn't smell of blackberries, so I can't attest to that. It smells… very expensive, like walking into a very chic boutique or something. But at the same time, it's sort of innocent and sweet. I don't know that it's really my speed, but it's very, very nice.

For a moment, this smelled sharp and soapy and like I-don't-know-what, one of those "huh?" smells.

And then, it settled, and I got it. Heather. Fields of heather, a Scottish meadow. :P

Oddly enough, this one's giving me a ton of scent associations -- a friend's lakeside camp, and the dorms at college, and one of my friends in particular (and she is Scottish and proud of it, so for all I know, she might wear a heather-based perfume). It's just a touch laundry-ish, too, which I like. I'm actually having a bit of a debate right now in my head -- this, or Antique Lace? Which laundry do I like better?

This one's lovely, though, and with all of the positive associations I have with it, I'm leaning toward getting a bottle. :D

Bottle: Perfume-y

Wet: Heather, vast fields of heather. Very feminine.

Drydown: It's a bit more generic than I like my bpal to be.

3.0 outta 5

This is amazing. I think it's one of the few sweeter scents that will work on the husband--can't wait to find out. It works on me, beautifully, a crisp, almost masculine scent with a bit of berry. Just gorgeous. Others have said "floral," but on me it goes very green.