Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Moon of Ice

Frost-crusted winter flowers, white pine, eucalyptus, and traditional lunar oils.

I have a hard time with the snow-type blends (they all tend to smell the same to my nose, sharply amped up snow note). They're generally very forgettable for me. I haven't found one that's amazing on me yet (though Cloister Graveyard in the Snow is rather nice), and Moon of Ice actually isn't very good on me. The florals are a tad sharp and soapy and the eucalyptus really ruins this one on my skin. It gives it a medicinal sharpness that I hate in perfume. The sweet snow/aquatic-esque note isn't bad, but the overall combination of soapy flowers, sharply medicinal eucalyptus, drowning pine, and sweet snow isn't very good to my nose... my decant is going to the swap pile.

I usually love "snowy" scents like Skadi and Snow Moon so I thought I would love Moon of Ice. I like the way it smells in the bottle--it's an icy cold, pine and eucalyptus scent with hints of aquatics.

Unfortunately, once applied to my skin it turns into pretty much a full-force STRONG aquatic. I don't smell any of the "slushy" or "snowy" notes, eucalyptus or pine. My husband actually said, "You're not keeping that one, are you?"

[Homer] Stupid body chemistry! [/Homer]

I just acquired Moon of Ice in a swap today. In the bottle it's nose-tickling pine and poinsettias with that 'chilly' winter scent that I believe to be ozone-licious. Its a definite winter scent in my book.

On my skin, more of that ticklish pine tingle, but flowers are slowly starting to bloom out of it, almost powdery. Nothing pine-sol about it so I love this pine, it smells as if I've taken a run through the snowy woods and snapped a few branches off of a pine tree and trampled a few flower petals into the ground. Very fresh, crisp and dare I call it whimsical! I wish I had gotten this earlier in the year, it's a great snowy scent.

in vial: pine

wet: pine which always makes me think of men's cologne. Something creamy. This is nice but I think i would like it better on a man. This is starting to smell soapy but I don't mind with this type scent because I think of 'clean-ness'.

later: couple of hours later this smells just like thunder moon. I never did smell the eucalyptus, it could be that it is just well blended in the background. This is not bad, soap and pine. Would love this on a man.

I dont get pine from this bottle.

I love Jabberwocky which smells of strong Pine to me, but Moon of Ice does not smell piney in my opinion.

I hate to say it, but it smells like 7-UP in the bottle.

When it dries it has a sweet and ozone-ish smell.

I like it, but I think of Shivering Boy and Snow Storm as snowy-winter smells. Moon of ICe does not have that tang to it.

PB

In the imp: Effervescent - like Sprite! Immediately puts me in mind of Talvikuu.

On wet: That fizzy soda yum is still prominent, and there's something almost creamy underneath.

Drydown: Pine-Sprite Creamsicle - and I'm getting the faintest, *faintest* whiff of something sour every now and then. Not sure where that's coming from...

Overall: Not a bad blend (aside from that weird mystery sourness), but when it comes to snowy/piney/slushy scents, my nose belongs to Talvikuu and The Snow Storm. 2.5/5

In the imp -- Sweet, with a slight pine-y scent. It doesn't smell like a pine bough, it doesn't smell like pine-sol.

Wet -- Ozone comes out first on me. It actually smells a bit too masculine at first but then the flowery sweetness comes out a bit.

Drydown -- On me this gets sweeter and more flowery as it dries. The flowers are pale, creamy, frosty. It smells interesting as it wafts around me. I like it and it no longer smells too masculine but it wouldn't really be described as "floral" either. It reminds me a bit of "Cloister Graveyard in the Snow" only a bit sweeter and without the incense note.

the crisp, wintry scent of frozen slush and sharp eucalyptus. i love forest scents, but honestly, this doesn’t remind me of a forest. there’s really very little pine. it’s in there, along with light florals i can’t identify, but the snow and eucalyptus are definitely the stars. i’d say this is like a less sweet, more masculine version of Snow White’s chilly florals.

Crisp, cold, icy, but I don't want to say it's sharp. There's something strangely soft about this, actually. It's like the dead of night - still, frozen, midnight air - looking up into the sparkling night sky, and staring into a soft halo of moonlight through a wispy cloud.

I can smell the pine, but not as pronounced as it was in Old Moon. The lunar oils and eucalyptus are lovely.

A beautiful Winter lunar blend!

4.4 out of 5

Wow, I was totally prepared to hate this. In the bottle it smells just of eucalyptus a scent that I despise. And wet the smell is still there. But as it dries it fades and leaves a fresh aquatic scent with hints of floral. It is a surprising beautiful blend. It does get a bit of a powdery note at the end, but I don't mind it.

Edited by Heeroluva

I've been very ambivalent about a lot of scents recently, I've still got about a dozen bottles sitting on my desk in the "undecided" category going as far back as the last batch of Yules, and I've been trying to get an opinion on them. Finally got one for Moon of Ice.

In the bottle, it smelled promising, cold and piney and maybe a bit of juniper?

I go downstairs to leave for work. From my dad: "I don't know what you're wearing this time, but it smells like you just put on Deep Woods Off."

I give it some time to set, then later ask someone at work. "Yep, that's exactly what it smells like."

I think I'll lend my bottle to someone else at work if she goes back up to the cottage, this last time I think she ended up going through about a dozen different kinds of bug sprays and still got eaten alive.

In the imp: Medicinal, but not unpleasantly so.

On skin: :P Well, that was quite the morph. If I said it smelled like an airport, would that make sense to anybody?

...No?

Anyway, it is cool, a very calm scent that I have trouble finding out specific notes in. I don't know that I'd want to wear it as a winter scent, just because it is so cold, but it's very nice here in the dead of summer.

Almost fizzy in the imp, like Skadi and 7up.

Wet on skin, this just proves that if something has a frost note, I need to at least take a second look. I don't know what it is, but everything icy or frosty that Beth makes at least starts off well. The fizz disappears and leaves behind a gorgeous ...something that I can't quite identify. I get faint hints of the eucalyptus and pine, but the flowers or the frost or both make it almost candy-sweet. Whatever I'm really smelling, it's gorgeous. Decent amount of throw. It's not choking me, but I don't have to get right up on top of it either.

It doesn't last particularly long and it dries down into more or less no scent at all. Maybe a hint of something dusty, but I enjoyed it while the real scent was there, and I'll keep my imp.

Sweet. Citrus with an overlay of mild forest. A small pinch of powder in the background. This is a dark horse for me! Normally I don't like anything. with. pine. It is icky on my skin. And in the bottle, this is way too strong a melange of floral and pine. But on, it's muted citrus with a sparkle of pine. Love it!

Bottle: Light florals and a bit of that general "lunar oil" smell. Maybe something a bit sage-y?

Wet: Seven Up. Or Sprite. A sort of weird lemon lime soft drink thing going on here. It's very peppy and refreshing, just totally not what I expected.

Dry: That's more like it. I really like the lunar oils in this one. I don't know if they vary widely from moon to moon but these are very light and refreshing and remind me of the lunar oils in Blue Moon 07 and Long Night Moon. I get a hint of cold, white florals and a nice zing from the eucalyptus. The snow note is there but not very prominent. I really like this--so chilled and suited for the warm months.

Throw: Decent.

Overall: Now is the time of year to break out the icy cold scents and this one is gorgeous. It balances all the ingredients nicely and none of them seem to dominate the other. Very chilly and interesting.

Moon of Ice

Definitely not as scary as the description led me to believe--it's a lot softer. Softly piney, softly lunar-floral. In fact, it's kind of weirdly soft... I don't really get the lemon-lime sodas that others have mentioned, but there's something oddly sugary in there. I like the quiet coldness of this.

When I got this, I think I tried it and then neglected to make a note of how it worked/was hoping it might change with age, or something. So now I'm trying it again, several months aged.

In imp: soapy pine.

On, wet: still smelling strong pine, but it's mellowed by florals...still smells kinda soapy on me. I'm not getting much eucalyptus.

drydown: getting more and more floral on me.it's hard to describe what kind of floral-i don't usually do well with florals. it's kind of sharp and soapy.

Dry: it faded a lot. slight hint of peppery soap.

off to the swap pile with this.

Snow note of the sharp and almost on the verge of sour variety. Light eucalyptus gave it a medicinal vibe but the flowers are waking up and giving it some sweetness. I kind of like the fresh sharpness, but this seems gauranteed to give DH a headache since all scents with pine tend do that to him.

This was my introduction to the snow/ice note, and not surprisingly I really enjoy this scent. The sharpness in this, to me, is all the ice. The closest pine I can pick would be Slobbering Pine- its a light, softer pine with a lot of aquatic overlay. I can't smell Eucalyptus at all, but I can "feel" it underneath.

Honestly, I think this is Slobbering Pine with a really strong frost/snow/ice note added, or Snowball Fracas without the dirt, and pine included. Soft, relaxing, gentle. I've even worn this to sleep...

I loves me some Moon of Ice. I don't get much eucalyptus (thank Jebus) but there is a heavy pine note that I love. I don't know what exactly traditional lunar oils, but they can't be that bad. :D

Oooo this is lovely!

Once applied, I get a cold breath of fresh air mingled with soft lush pine and delicate flowers. In the far reaches of the blend, I can smell a sort of soft and fuzzy note similar to other lunar oils that I've worn. I wonder if it's the traditional lunar oils that brings on that calm distant barely noticeable note? Maybe I'm just being silly though.

Overall, it's a minty cool pine and flowers blend.

I love this and will treasure my decant.

Moon of Ice goes on piney and (Lycanthrope got it down perfectly) fizzy like 7-Up. But it fades quickly to a whisper of a breeze in the tippy tops of the pines. Nice but I'd have to dump the entire bottle on myself.

Atleast I think this is what stellans sent me! The flowers burst upon skin contact, then a mentholish burst from the eucalyptus, and finally back to flowers but sweeter. Crisp cold icy and gender neutral.

Bottle: Faint florals, eucalyptus, and a faint rim of frosted pines around the edge.

Wet: Fresh-cut pine branch with cool, refreshing eucalyptus. The flowers fade in and out.

Drydown: Smoothly blended pine and florals.

Dry: Slightly creamy blended pine and florals.

My rating: 2/5