Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
voila

Sweet scents, sugar notes & things that smell like candy

Just this morning I tested Coyote and thought, "That's a really sweet scent." It's not foody in the least. It's sort of sweet and musky.

Ohh I LOVE sweet scents!

I find Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo to be a very sweet, strawberryish candy scent that isn't creamy (which also has calming properties to boot!) that I and those who have sniffed it on me enjoy. It's not foody but I wouldn't be adverse to drinking something that smelled of it if that makes sense :umm:

I also love Daiyu, sweet acai berry with tea and Poisoned Apple.

Good luck!!!

Almost everything I like is sweet, though I like my sweets dark and not too foody. O, Snake Oil, Brisingamen, Mme Moriarty, Eat Me, Kali, Florence, Hetaire, Black Phoenix...just some of my faves.

Bordello! A decadent, deep perfume, lusty and luxuriant. The scent evokes images of velvet-lined Old West cathouses, tightly laced corsets, rustling petticoats and coquettish snarls of pleasure. Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant. It's very plum/black curranty on me. And it layers well (IMO) with Velvet Pink Kitty.

And I second/third Candy Phoenix, Sugar Skull, Pickled Imp, and Dorian. Xanthe, too!

Just this morning I tested Coyote and thought, "That's a really sweet scent." It's not foody in the least. It's sort of sweet and musky.

Coyote is GORGEOUS!!  

How about:  

Velvet Tiki (sweet tropical fruits & florals)

Block Buster (light and sweet, citrus-y)  

Van Van (sugared lemons) 

Prospero (sweet, fruited amber)

Jailbait (cinnamon & sweet fruits)

Nanny Ashtoreth (sweet leather (after the wood dies down)) :evil:

Bewitched (hard to describe... but sweet)

Ravenous (smells like candy, but is overwhelmingly strong)

Maenad (bubblegummy)

Mania, Bon Vivant, Hollywood Babylon (strawberry sweet musk)

Dragon's Blood (sweet & floral)

I think O is possibly the ultimate sweet scent.  It's so perfect.  :wub2:

La Befana - Candy charcoal, winter lilies, parma violet, a sprig of cypress, a poof of chimney dust, and holiday sweets.

Thank you for the suggestion I went and tracked down a bottle on the sale section it arrived today (thank you sunshinedaisybliss) and I love it,! It seems to have a similar vibe to bloody mary which is possibly my all time fave bpal!

Hoyden: I am very tempted by van van and am waiting for an imp to arrive I am a lemon lover! Hollywood babylon went sour on me :( and I'm a HUGE fan of dragons blood its yum!

Thank you for all the suggestions I'm gonna try and work my way threw them!

La Befana - Candy charcoal, winter lilies, parma violet, a sprig of cypress, a poof of chimney dust, and holiday sweets.

Thank you for the suggestion I went and tracked down a bottle on the sale section it arrived today (thank you sunshinedaisybliss) and I love it,! It seems to have a similar vibe to bloody mary which is possibly my all time fave bpal!

Yay! I'm so happy that you liked it!!

Xiuhtecuhtli I always want to love, yet I find it's too sweet for me. I still keep it, retrying it every so often, because it's so lovely in every other way! So, since you like sweet scents clearly more than I do, might be a good one to try!

(edited to correct formatting)

Edited by sqwook

I highly recommend Lawn Gnome if you like sweet vanilla. Molasses, vanilla cream, moss, and patchouli. The moss and patchouli ground the vanilla and molasses and keep it from being a cloying sweet smell. It also makes it a bit heavy, and not light. I'm usually not a fan of sweet (give me dark and musky any day) but I simply cannot get enough of Lawn Gnome.

Also from some of the Will Call reviews, Boo might be another good one. Supposedly the cotton in it grounds the spun sugar and keeps it from being overwhelming also.

Arkham is the sweetest scent ever to my nose (well, i have arkham revisited, but i think it's the same as the arkham in the collection now)...florals and sugar sweet! Also, the devil's nights are sweet without being cakey...and trick or treat, while foody is a sweet that isn't too "cream/bread"...

Some years back, a friend of mine was wearing a buttercream scent — some body spray or lotion — that was absolutely delicious, and since then I've had this vague sense of wanting something I can wear that's sugary.

Fast forward to now, and I have eight BPAL imps that have already made me love this brand. My problem? I've tried two sugary scents now, and they were terribly, awfully wrong. (I've tried sugar scents from a few other brands, too, which I was also very disappointed in.) So before I try anything else in my search for a deliciously sweet smell, I thought I'd ask some experts, or at least folks with more experience in perfumes than myself.

A bit of information: the scents I've tried are Satyr, Harlot, Aizen-Myoo, Loup Garou, Gluttony, Queen, Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, and Mata Hari.

Satyr, Harlot, and Aizen-Myoo are my loves, and I'll likely be buying full-size bottles of them when I can (after trying some more samples). Loup Garou and Queen are nice and quite likable, but not really what I want to wear. Mata Hari was all right, but the smell of coffee in it put me off it. I didn't like Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, and in spite of my high hopes, I hated Gluttony so much I ran to the sink to wash it off.

The Joy Mojo and Gluttony both smelled bitter to me, and I think the caramel/toffee bits of them hit me unpleasantly too (since I don't like eating either). I'm a big chocolate fan, especially dark chocolate, thought that's not exactly what I'm looking for — but I wouldn't be opposed to something sugary with a chocolate tone to it. I'm eying Bliss a little but I'm not sure about it now that I've tried Gluttony. I also don't like coffee, and Mata Hari suggests that even a little scent of it might be bad for me.

So I don't necessarily need buttercream, but I know I want something that smells — well, maybe the best way to put it is cake-like. That kind of sugary goodness. Spicy scents or even a slight powdery or floral scent might not be a bad thing, and I suppose that even though I just said cake-like I don't really want to smell like I've been rolled in frosting.

So, I know that's a lot of info and a lot of "not this, not this, maybe that" but I'm really hoping someone might have an idea for me! (I'm also hoping it's not just the way anything sugary turns out on me in particular. That would be crushing!)

Thanks for reading, and for any help you might provide in advance!

My favorite is Eat Me (Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants). I also like Shub Niggurath (A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices), which smells like ginger snaps. I didn't like Vice, it was too sweet and cloying just like Gluttony was, but Velvet is beautiful (sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh). You might also like Hope (sugared roses) or Faith (sugared violets), or Grog (the description says pirate's rum, but it smells like rum and butterscotch to me). There are some good limited editions too, like the Pumpkin Patch scents, Cake Smash, Lilith vs. the Giant Crab, Sugar Moon, and many of the Moth and Butterfly scents that just came out sound delicious!

Seconding ChaoKitty's recommendations of Eat Me & Shub. However, Eat Me does have that buttery component that Gluttony has, which is what killed both of those scents for me. So, if you amp that butter note, be warned that it might take over Eat Me. I would also suggest trying Kill Devil. It's very different, it has a brown sugar/molasses sweetness to it that is very deep and rich, plus a kind of slight saltiness that makes me think of salted caramels. For a chocolate without the coffee I would also try How Doth the Little Crocodile. It's chocolate peppermint, mint-soaked vanilla, pistachio, oakmoss, and green cedar. I don't really get a lot of the oakmoss or cedar, but enough that it tempers the blend down from being SUPER foodie. You also might like High Strung Daisies (pink carnation, pink pepper, and sugar), it reminds me a bit of marshmallows. TKO is another to consider. It's vanilla & lavender, but the lavender disappears really quickly (on me anyway) & I'm left with an amazing rich vanilla. Whenever I wear it to work my co-workers all tell me I smell like vanilla cookies. If you can lay hands on it, your holy grail is probably Cake Smash. It's fantastic. Smells JUST like cake & on me at least, it stays true on the skin. Happy hunting!

Shub Niggurath is one of my favorites, someone described it in one of the reviews as "evil gingerbread cookies" and that is one of the best descriptions!

I love TKO and How Doth the Little Crocodile, and completely agree with bella_delirante ^ ^, but IMHO, the best "sugary" scent is Boo! from the 2009 Halloweenies - I see it come up for sale pretty often, and it is absolute pure vanilla spun sugar - when I wear it not layered with anything, people keep asking "Do you smell cotton candy?" or marshmallows - :lol:

I did not like Gluttony either, the lab's caramel note doesn't work on me, so I have just learned to avoid it. I like Vice better than Bliss (Vice is actually less sweet on me), and some of the Butterflies sound awesome but I haven't tried any yet (they are on order).

I will be interested to see what other people recommend, as I also love the "sugary" scents!

I would definitely suggest High Strung Daisies. It is sweet pink sugary smelling, but still "light" smelling, and is one of my favorite summer scents.

TKO is pure awesomeness!!! I wear it every night to bed, and some days because it is such a sweet comforting scent. I go through about a 5ml bottle of this every month.

Neither of those are LE, so could get them from the lab.

In my opinion some LEs to look for on the forum would be Cake Smash (Red velvet cake with cream cheee frosting), In Winter in my room (Sweet caramel goodness), Butter Rum Cookie.

Some "Holy Grail" type fragrances to keep an eye out for might be Pumpkin Queen (Hard to do this justice with mere words... Sweet pumpkin buttery yummy goodnes, but sexy as hell!) and Beaver Moon '05 (Cheese cake/red velvet cupcakes simply amazing. I always want to lick my arms whn I am wearing this one).

The other one that I have been drooling over lately is Womb Furie. To me it is very sweet, but not in a foodie way, very complex and yummy.

Hope some of these help.

Sugar Skull, of course!

It smells like someone's just started making candy & is melting sugar on the stove (before the caramel stage) with a hint of fruit (maybe pear?)

It's a Hallowe'en LE that's been released several times so it appears in the sales/swap thread on occasion.

Mr Nancy seems to have a similar base with the addition of lime & La Befana has a bit of violet & berries over the sugar.

I find the chocolate scents are quite different from one another & you really have to try them for yourself to see if they work. Most are not intense enough for me (exceptions being Boomslang, Velvet, Tezcatlipoca & some of the 13's).

For cake-like scents, you should have a look at this I want to smell like a bakery thread.

Cockaigne & Chimera are ones that are mentioned often - I personally like Shub, Saw-Scaled Viper, Gingerbread Poppet, Sugar Cookie & Cake Smash when I'm in a foody mood.

Edited by alterosen

Cake Smash sounds amazing, and if I can't find anything impable that tickles my fancy that sounds like the route to go. Picks from all of these will probably take up at least six imps, heh. Thank you all for your (very quick, I was surprised!) suggestions!

sugar skull, cockaigne, detestable putrescence, sugar cookie and/or butter rum cookie & cake smash would be my rec's.

shub-niggurath is amazing but i wouldn't call it a sugary scent, it's just an amazing evil gingerbread scent... but perhaps that's what you're looking for...? :D

Oooh.. if you like chocolate smells, you must try Bliss! I know exactly what you mean about Gluttony.. but Bliss is nothing like that, it's a lovely soft chocolate.. very yummy. Velvet is another nice one - that's chocolate vanilla with sandalwood and myrrh for something a bit different. Oh, and Vice - chocolate with black cherry and orange blossom :)

You could also try to hunt down some Milk Chocolate & Buttercream - this was an LE for Valentine's Day last year so it's no longer available to buy new, but it pops up in the 'For Sale' area quite often. MC&B is a gorgeous creamy chocolate - the butter part of it isn't sickly or sharp at all.

I'd suggest you try and isolate the exact type of sugar that you like (and don't like). When you see anything in the brown sugar family, it's likely to have that caramel/toffee tone to it and it sounds like that's something you don't enjoy in your BPALs. So the white sugar things are probably more to your taste. I definitely second the suggestion to find some Boo! - soooo good - and you could also look out for Midway (or Midway Resurrected, which was the re-release) - kinda hard to find, but a delicious cotton candy-ish one. If you like a more 'pink' sugar, you could try looking for some Velvet Unicorn - that's a spun sugar with strawberries and cherries, very sweet but yummy. And as others have mentioned, definitely try to get hold of some Cake Smash :smile:

On the BPAL website, you can use the 'Search' function.. if you type in 'sugar', it will bring up a list of anything in the general catalogue that contains a sugar note - that's a good way to find specific things and check out what imps you might want to try.

Just keep trying lots of things.. you'll find "the one" :smile:

Here are some threads that might be helpful in your search -

Gourmand & foody blends - general recs

The sweetest and most candy-like blends

Baked goods scents

Keep an open mind as you try new scents - sometimes you'll get a beautiful, pure sweet note from a blend where you least expected it. Sudha Segara comes to mind for me.

Eat Me is a very realistic cake smell + currants. Scrumptious!

Bread-and-Butter-Fly is hmm...like cake and tea! And sugar!

High-Strung Daisies is sugary and peppery. It's very unique and hard to describe. Really must smell this one. The notes are: Daisy, pink carnation, pink pepper, and sugar.

Dorian is quite foody to my nose. It's like creamy tea with lots of sugar and lemon.

Hermia has that wonderful pink pepper note with golden amber, passion flower, and honeysuckle. It's very juicy and sweet and spicy at the same time. It makes me smile!

good luck and happy sniffing!

Sugar Cookie!

Bread and Butterfly

Teatime in Roswell

maybe Dorian.

you might like some of the slightly alcoholic (but light and sweet and fruity) scents, like 21 and The Hamptons

Happy Sniffin'!