Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shadow

Neo-Tokyo

A scent that captures a meeting of the serenity and elegance of ancient Japan, the vibrant, shining, neon-lit and ultra-modern splendor of today's Tokyo and the fantastic electric fantasyland of post-modern manga fantasy. Urban metallics and an ozone-tinged breath of electric light mingled with reedy bamboo, crisp mountain air, cherry blossoms, delicate orchid and a splash of playful, wet fruits.

Ooh... definitely catching that "electric" zing... that's impressive. I have no clue what it is but "electric" just perfectly describes it. I'm also getting a very lovely ozone note that's lightly tapped with a tinge of sweet florals. To be honest, when I first tried this on, I wasn't sure I liked it *that* much but it's growing on me. Not enough that I'll buy a whole bottle but it has still upped it's score. But ooh... wait. I'm starting to get a hint of wet fruits like in Eris..... Ooh now, that may just change my mind about ordering a bottle! Yeah, once it gets out of that metallic/electric "city" scent and into the gardens/parks sweetness it's just wonderful. Wow... from bottle to drydown it's upped it's score through 3 levels! That's impressive too.... lol.

This is a wonderful scent for diffusing. The bamboo stays in the forefront and the cherry stays just underneath, and the ozone just infuses, leaving a very fresh and clean scent that I find totally energizing. It's not a soapy scent, even though it would make a great scent for soap :P

I tried some on my wrist but it was faint, and soon it was nothing.

IN BOTTLE: Lovely, although not quite my thing... certainly crisp, with a hint of sweet.

WET: ooh, ozone! it smells fresh and a little sharp, and the bamboo is in there somewhere too. Quite light. Again, not quite my style but certainly light and lovely. but *then*...

DRYDOWN: ...soap. Nice soap, lightly bamboo-scented soap; but soap nontheless. I think I'm the only one who got this. My skin just *hates* this scent.

After a few minutes it gets slightly less soapy, and I can smell the 'crisp mountain air' bit with a hint of floraly sweetness beneath... but it's just like rather expensive soap. On the up side, I smell obsessively clean...

This scent has very little staying power. It vanished in about half an hour. Someone else with friendlier skin chemistry will appreciate this much more than I do.

In the imp, it's the mixed cherry/anise notes from Kabuki; very oriental (imagine that). On me, it immediately was ANISE! Then it calmed down to anise and bamboo top notes, which was very different; kind of like bamboo licorice but nicer than it sounds. Somebody said this was very wet and rainy and I agree. After a few minutes, it gets a little flowery - like the bamboo suddenly grew little white flowers. It's very sweet. After about 30 minutes, the metallics come out.

Rating: 3

This imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue Swap.

In the interest of time and because others are patiently waiting, I'm just sniffing some scents in the bottle. This is one of those.

My impression of Neo-Toyko is that it is an aquatic-green scent. Because I am leery of green scents (since they often = grass), I'm not going to apply this on my skin. And I do have my own imp, which I'll apply to my skin when I have the time and inclination. Someone else needs to sniff this!

Safe travels imp!

Neo-Tokyo

freebie from the lab

in imp: ozone, cherry blossom, and citrus (maybe this is the bamboo?)

wet: light, airy cherry blossom

dry: ozone, bamboo, and a hint of orchid...fades in less than 3 hours

verdict: nice, but fades too quickly

in the bottle: mmm... cool, refreshing, almost a little buttery, fruity in the direction of candy/cherry with something else sharp... citrus? This is really complex, I can't get it all at once.

wet: whatever was slightly sharp and citrusy comes out a bit more... maybe some of it's bamboo? I can almost smell a little spark of electricity in here too! The "cool mountain air" comes out some as well. There is so much going on... this is great!

dry: a lot more subtle than the wet, but still really nice. It is primarily cool mountain air now with that bit of "electricity" and a teeny amount of fruits and florals.

overall impression: This is one of the first aquatic/ozones that has agreed with me throughout. While I did stilll like it a lot better wet, the dry down is nice as well because it is so clean and fresh, while still maintaining a little attitude and not smelling like soap/cleaner. It is resonably weak on dry down, but I like it enough to keep the imp for sure :P

A-

Edited by Natch

Neo-Tokyo-

In Bottle: Very lemony and sharp. A bit aquatic.

Wet: Umm...very lemony and sharp! A little soapy. Clean.

Dry: The sharpness is a little eye-watering. I never got the impression that this was anything beyond lemony sharpness on me, too bad.

Overall: Not for me.

I love this scent, it's one of my "regulars".

On me, the cherry blossom scent is actually quite strong, and is reminiscent of Kyoto, but unlike Kyoto, there's something in Neo-Tokyo which is very metallic. As it dries, the cherry actually does get stronger, but the ozone/metallic scent nevr quite goes away.

Unlike Kyoto, I really like Neo-Tokyo even though I never thought of myself as a cherry blossom fan, I think it's due to the other scents toning down the tartness and sweetness of the cherry.

The notes on this one stayed true to what the description on the bottle was. I could definitley smell the cherry blossom, bamboo, and a hint of ozone in there. When I wore this it's the scent of what I imagine Tokyo to look like. High end fashion, sleek metalic skyscrapers...oh my god this is the perfect scent for spring. It's light and lovely and it makes me want to pay a visit to Japan. Mmm. Suprisingly long lasting as well. Even though fades away after 6 hours, there are still traces of it on my skin.

bottle time!

This one was a little too metallicy for me. I really love the cherry blossoms in it, but it was very strong and too spicy on my skin. It has a bit of throw and lasts a long time.

Just too heady for me. :P

This is very light on me. It's crisp and bright, and floral without being too floral. I seem to have problems with my skin amplifying some florals. I don't seem to get much in the way of cherry ... I get lots of bamboo and what I'm guessing is the ozone scent.

I like it very much, but it's a bit too ... cool? light? ... for fall and winter. I'll definitely be saving it for spring and summer.

Neo-Tokyo smells like somebody sank a piece of metal in a puddle of fresh rainwater in a beautiful garden.

There's definitely something synthetic in here, too. When I first touched it, I expected it to be gloopy and neon blue. Yet there's still that natural aquatic-floral freshness, although I can't pick any notes out, exactly.

It's a nice scent, though, I think.

At first it is minty and sharp. Then it goes to a mix of fruit and the bamboo. There is a little bit of salt water here too. It is very fresh. It isn't something I'd wear much, if at all, but it is an invigorating scent.

In the vial:

Electric bamboo!

On me:

Goes on mostly bamboo and that "electric" ozone smell. Very sharp, and yet natural smelling. This is a very GREEN scent.

After a while, the cherry blossom softens this up and starts to make it less in-your-face green. It's still very much what I'd call a bamboo scent, but the cherry blossom adds a nice element of softness and sweetness with it's floral. The ozone is still there but instead of being really sharp now, it's more like a wetness on the cherry blossom. Like just rained on cherry blossoms and bamboo.

Final note:

If you like Dragon Moon, you should try this scent. It's like the greener version of Dragon Moon and has some similarities while still being different. People who also enjoy scents like Embalming Fluid might like this as well for it's wet, fresh green quality

Yum. This smells like a fantastic men's cologne at first. Mint, moss, lemon, aquatic notes, and just clean. The kind of clean, sharp and modern men's cologne that makes me weak in the knees. :D :D

And then something goes really sharp and soapy. I wonder if it's the orchid. I'll have to keep my eye on orchid in other blends to see if it's yet another floral that hates me.

I want to smell this on my boyfriend. :P Maybe his chemistry is more cooperative.

Edited by oh_the_horror

Note: Mid cycle. Imp fresh from the Lab.

In the bottle: This smells like French double milled soap! The cherry is coming out a lot in it. I am getting the metallic, too. Like wet, fruity, finely milled soap on the side of a steel wash tub, in the cold mountain air, where you poar fresh water over your head from a pitcher.

On me: Cherry is moving back on drydown. Yay! (Why does my right wrist smell totally different from my left? It's cherry +5.)

1 hour+ later: Clean, metalic. I think that clean sharpness is the ozone. The fruit is gone, except maybe as the faintest hint of sweetness. This is a very clean scent on me. Not what I was expecting, but I think it will be good for work wear. Also, it's very light.

Edited by Gaidig

In the imp, the cherry overwhelms just as it did with Kyoto, and just as with Kyoto it smells a little cough-syrup-y. I can sort of detect that there are other notes under it, but can’t really say what they are. Cherry, cherry, cherry just keeps hitting my nose. I’m a little nervous about this one, but think that like Kyoto, the cherry will probably mellow some when it’s applied to my actual skin.

When applied, at first it was a nice soft cherry blossom scent, with hints of other things sort of peeking around the sides. After a few minutes, though, it turned sort of soapy. :P

A review in three word:

"Cherry and highway."

For awhile it smells like cherry and asphalt and even a bit of rubber tires. Eventually it mutes to a sweet and soapy little cherry/orchid number, but that's awhile in coming.

It's not exactly bad, but I'd have to be in a specific place and time to be compatible with Neo-Tokyo. Specifically, I'd have to be in a moped zooming down the city streets while the soundtrack from an action anime blares in the background.

I don't think I'd buy a bottle of it -- maybe an imp at a time.

(You know where this would be perfect? At an anime convention.)

Edited by baranoouji

ooh this was a pleasant surprise. i thought this might be too bright and clean smelling to me, but it's not! it is bright and clean but it also has some depth and fullness, which i like. i smell citrus and orchid with just a splash of ozone, which doesnt make the aquatics go sour on my skin. it's a bit perfumey but that doesn't bother me. it's a fabulous scent for summer.

first sniff: green and airy, with a sweet floral underneath.

wet: still airy and green (sun flickering through the bamboo in my Uncle's back yard comes to mind). That sweet floral is cherry blossom. There's a cool oxygen-rich feel to the scent that does remind me of ozone and high altitudes.

dry: The orchid and cherry blossom have joined forces to become stronger on my skin. Then it fades down to a whisper.

This would be great in the heat of summer for a mental vacation. :P

i feel i'm detecting the same bamboo note that lurks in fire pig--but this is drowned out the shocking green, herbally smells i get from everything else. far too much of something that smells like lemon, too tart for me.