Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bettybaker

Plunder

The scent of a pirate's bumboat, overflowing with stolen wares: tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg.

in vial: strong clove with a touch of cinnamon

wet: smells a little bit waxy but still clove and cinnamon with a slight bitterness from the bark.

later: this scent is simple but warm and spicy. will be great alone or layered

At first it was sort of a nice tea scent, with a whiff of cinnamon. Nice.

After a while, it kind of smelled like a lipstick.

Then it turned to straight up cinnamon, which makes me a bit queasy. I imagine if you liked cinnamon, it would be lovely, though. I like the tea part, though.

Oh man, there is something that I really dig about this scent even though it's not something I typically enjoy. On wet, I get a mish-mash of spices (cinnamon, clove). Somewhere as the wet stage is burning off, I swear I smell something almost boozy about it (are they keeping the spices with the rum?!?)

On dry, after about an hour, I get more of the pepper in it. Still cinnamon/clovey.

What I like about this is that it's spicy without being too foody. It's also almost masculine about it, since there are no florals. Tobacco is usually a really bad note for me, but it hasn't really made an appearance.

I doubt this will ever be made into a bottle, but I think I'm going to truly enjoy my imp!

I'm also very curious to see how it plays with Villainess' Jai Mahal. OOOH! Excited about this!

ETA: In some ways, Plunder smells like the base of Red Rose, minus the rose. Sometimes I feel like Plunder lacks an element that would make it slightly more feminine.

Edited by zankoku_zen

on wet I got colgate mint toothpaste lol isn't that odd! it gets a candley type thing as it gets dryer and starts to get smoky....not my bag but interesting

Imp: Cinnamon hearts and toothache remedy.

Wet: The cinnamon and clove amp up to near disaterous proportions. The tobacco sort of spreads out in a haze, adding a masculine undertone.

Dry: A heavy, spicy, almost foody scent. It's snowing like mad here today and this seems like a very appropriate scent for the weather. While incredibly spciy, there is also a good base note to this (I'd assume the tobacco) that keeps it from smelling like I've just been messing around with essential oils.

Throw: Good.

Overall: I don't think this is particularly appropriate for spring or summer, so once the snow goes away for good I think this will get a few months in the imp box to age itself up. It will be a great fall/winter scent.

All righty then , I'll attempt to write one of these too :D This was a frmp from the lab ( thanks all ) .

From the imp I get cinnamon & spice , strongly . Not a bad smell , but very strong as in " I'm getting things together to make some cookies " kind of way .

Wet on skin it is still very much more cinnamon then anything else maybe some clove too .

Dry now . I am getting more of a sweet smell & less spice . Still , it is hard to get the initial rush of cinnamon out of my nose .

Ok then , I decided to make this my first review as it's one I do like , but am not really attached to . I do love the spicy notes , I wish I could notice the tea & sandalwood more though . Being a guy , I think I would like a more balanced smell from this for me wearing it . The next order I have coming has Othello in it , as I see it is along these lines . Maybe I'll enjoy that one more . I do think I would have no problem with my GF wearing this though .

Edited about a year later ... I guess I do like this for myself , cause I bought a bottle of it :P As far as the labs " pirate " scents go , this has become my favorite . And yes , it's still overwhelmingly spicy more then anything . But in a really tasty , appealing kind of way . I also want to say that the spices to settle down a bit after being on a while , & the tea & other notes balance it out very well indeed .

Edited by CoopieCat

:P :D :D

OUCH!OUCH!OUCH!OUCH!OUCH!

This was my first heavy cinnamon scent. I didn't know I would react so horribly. OH THE BURN!!!

I so love the smell of this. I love every scent note in it but I can't wear it. I wanted it soooo much.

:) ;) B)

Plunder smells exactly like the black chai tea blend that I drink. I don't get such a cinammon kick as others seems to, it's far more of a clovey scent. Plunder is really dry spices rather than sweet spices and there is perhaps even a touch of bitterness to it. I can't see myself wearing this often as it isn't quite sweet enough, but it's rare for a spicy BPAL to work on my skin this well, and I do like the concept a lot.

In the imp, cinnamon and maybe tea? Could be wishful thinking on my part.

On me, wet, Cinnamon, and spices. Dry spice cinnamon, not red hots or cinnamon syrup. This cinnamon appeals to me more than the cinnamon in Chimera. I got imps of both to make a thorough check, but, I suspect this is the one I'll be wanting to upgrade into a bottle, if it lasts on me.

Drying, so far, mostly cinnamon. Cinnamon in a wooden box...with tea...

I did go check my spice cabinet to make sure, and, though cinnamon is still dominant, I am smelling more wood and possibly tea now. Mmmmm.

Once again, different notes are coming forward in different places. The wood seems more apparent on my wrists. On my elbows, some of the shyer spices are peeking out. I am not getting enough to identify which ones, but, I am definitely getting more than just cinnamon and wood from the elbows.

Chai tea, the unsweetened kind with no vanilla added, and stored in a wooden box. Very very nice, and if I can get it to last decently on me today, I think I have my next bottle upgrade picked. :P

I got this imp from a friend of mine. It caused welts on her skin, yikes!

In the imp:

cinnamon, peppercorn, and something mildly floral?

Wet, on skin: Cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon, and......wait for it......cinnamon!

Ok, I love cinnamon and it loves me back. But this is just silly! Where are all the other notes?

Drydown: Oh there it is! Now, while cinnamon is still the obvious main note here, I get clove, allspice, nutmeg, and yummmmy sandalwood. Glorious. I'd like the tobacco to come out, but I'm not complaining. This has alot of throw on me and I really think it's gorgeous.

This would be fantastic on a very cold day, a smoky autumn night, or a blisteringly hot summer day....

I may try layering it with something smoky to give it even more depth too!

This is Bengal, only with no honey and lotsa wood. Both of them smell like a spice cabinet filled with everything you'd put in a pumpkin pie and a sweet curry, but where Bengal is syrupy and enfolding, Plunder is dry and bracing.

The papery cinnamon bark is the strongest note on me, but other than that it's basically a hot spice melange. I do mean hot. It's sharper than most spice mixes, almost acrid. Lasts a long time.

Nice, but...one plundering is enough for me.

Lobster Rating

better than: yet another "booty" joke

All spices, yum!! The one think that bugs me is as it dries something starts to get a little bit waxy. Almost.. translucent? I think it's the cinnamon. I remember the same effect from Yuletide. But still a great blend of spices that I think I will use to layer over other scents frequently. I think plunder plus a dab of patchouli or myrrh would be heavenly.

Nota Bene: This is a scorcher! My skin is weathered and not sensitive at all, but I did get a slight reaction on my neck. I love my spices, and I can't remember ever having sensitivity issues before.

In the imp / fresh on: Ooh, spicy! And yes, just a touch of booziness as well. I like this.

Drydown: This is a nice, balanced blend; nothing really sticks out. If I consciously try to identify notes, I can pick up cinnamon, clove, and pepper, and maybe the allspice. Everything else stays pretty well in the background.

Long-term: It seems to get sweeter over time; otherwise, not much change. My one issue with it is that there's not as much throw as I'd like. Staying power seems about average, pretty well faded after 10 hours.

Bottom line: Definite keeper! Gonna have to try this one at a con...

This WILL clean out your sinuses! Hot tea from a Chinese restaurant mixed with hot spices...but it really smells like hot tea leaves as well, not just the tea. I think I really like this, although I'm not sure I would wear it often.

In the bottle: Pirate. Pure pirate.

On Me: Can I just say that I love this scent? It's spicey, it's warm and it's got lots of attitude. Immediately, I get the cinnamon bark, clove, all spice, peppercorn and nutmeg. It's beautiful and entirely different to previous spicey blends I've tried (like three witches). I think it's the sandalwood (which is quickly becoming a new favourite note of mine) and tabacco that mellows the spice and makes this a more well-rounded blend with depth. Gorgeous

Clove, cinnamon, cardamom, spices you'd associate with far-away places, liquorice... but not in a way that makes you smell like you just stepped out of a kitchen. This is wonderful.

This is easily my favorite cinnamon blend and definitely feels like it has a "pirates in winter" vibe to it... copper spoons pulled from the sea and oddly shaped vials of spices. This is a pirate's Christmas, a reddish/brown warm/wintery spicy aroma.. but the first 10-15min = Red Hots candy before it backs off and the scent has room to breathe. Very different from the other pirate scents but equally as good.

Arr, plunder!

I was also hopeful for this one, and hope has failed sadly. I was hoping for something more masculine.

Imp: VERY cinnamony

Wet: Still really cinnamon based, with a hint of tea

Dry Down: Mostly sandalwood now, a bit too feminine for me.

Big Bottle?: Nope, sorry, yet again.

My wife also likes this one, so she can have it.

In the bottle: Sweet-spicy, almost a cinnamon candy smell, with cloves and nutmeg, like a holiday spice cupboard.

Initial application: Still spicy, a little darker and warmer. Strong cloves, nutmeg, allspice... interestingly, I don't get the overwhelming cinnamon out of this that so many people have commented on.

After a while: The spices start to mellow, and it turns into a rounded wood (not trees--burnished wood) and tea with spices scent. Lovely.

It stays close to the skin and faded out fairly quickly, which is too bad because I love this... in all its manifestations. Lots of clove throughout.

I did notice that my skin turned red and a little blotchy when I first put it on, and itched slightly. However, the reaction went away quickly, and the scent is definitely worth it!

I approached Plunder eagerly and hopefully, because the blends that I love the best are the spicy ones. In the imp, the smell is nose-tingling and almost overpowering, a bevy of spices and suchlike all jumbled together delightfully.

Wet, this smells of cinnamon. Not red-hots, or cinnamon buns, or cinnamon sticks, but the sort of cinnamon that scents those brooms that grocery and craft stores sell in the fall to hang on the door to your house. Given that one strong note often overpowers the others at the onset of application, I settled in to wait.

Dry, Plunder still smells as though I'm carrying around a cinnamon broom. Close to the skin, I can get a hint of the tea and the pepper, but on me, the cinnamon is the strongest note and remains the strongest note.

Whoa.. whoa. Cassia. Very strong cassia on a very subtle bed of other spices. I agree with the "I smell like a Christmas candle!" that I saw in someone else's post.. not to mention, this is the first cinnamon-cassia scent that ever interacted strongly with my skin. I had a heated patch on my arm where I'd applied the oil!

I really wanted to love this.. cinnamon, tea, tobacco, and sandalwood are all scents I adore. But apparently my skin amps cassia like NOBODY'S business. Boo.

Edited by idoru

This is very heavy on the cinnamon and cassia- I'm surprised it's not giving me a rash! Oh how I wanted to smell the nutmeg.

Plunder reminds me of a box of Christmas decorations my mom had when I was little - like one that had some long lost potpourri or something in it.

I lovvvvvve Plunder! It definitely smells spicy and woody and there's a hint of tobacco and something vaguely alcoholic, but the cinnamon and nutmeg are the primary players on my skin. It reminds me a lot of Port Royal; I think it's slightly less sweet than Port Royal personally.

In the imp and wet: The cinnamon in this blend packs one hell of a wallop. If you love cinnamon, this can be a good thing. However, if you are not insanely in love with cinnamon, it might not be a scent for you. I *like* cinnamon and thought "mmm, Red Hots!" when I first put it on. Those Red Hots feel like they are stuck at the back of my throat now. (not so wonderful)

Dry: There is another note cutting the in-your-face pizazz of the cinnamon down just a little. Something very sweet (maybe nutmeg?). Interesting.

I like this one but I don't know that I would want to wear it again because it is a bit too powerful for me. I will say this: IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO CINNAMON, RUN AWAY. NOW.