Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Beer, woodsmoke, tar, and treacle.

George Takei is in my head with the "Oh myyyyy!" on this one. This is a scent that screams for my Hubby. He loves cigars and beer and wants to smell like a cigar and beer get-together sometimes, but the tobacco scents are too wet and floral for him otherwise. Dracul and Crowley are his go-to's so far.

Bottle: Wood char, blessed wood char! A bit of sweet tobacco like a cigar humidor without all the cedar. There's some sweetness there.
Wet: On him, cigar smoke billows behind a smoldering campfire. Other people have burnt marshmallows.
Dry: Like the smell of bonfire on your clothes. Small wafts of woodsmoke and cigar and burnt sweets. I love this on Hubby.

This will be in his rotation now. When we go to a friend's place to smoke cigars and share beers, this will be Number 1.

This is the perfect smoky blend for me. The treacle adds a rich, dark sweetness that is completely seductive. This one is especially dear to me because at my birthday party just passed we had a bonfire and this smells *just* like it. How gorgeous :wub2:

Mmmmm...a smoky Lab scent that doesn't smell like a filthy ashtray!

Beautiful campfire/bonfire burnt wood and rich dark treacly smoky sweetness. This is not a scent I'd choose to wear, but I love the experience.

Bonfire Night worried me when I sniffed it in the bottle. I got a definite whiff of harsh smoke, like Brimstone, and perhaps a hint of beer. I know not to judge these oils from the bottle scent though. Once I had it on, it pretty quickly calmed down into a perfect sweet burning leaves scent. I love it. It's a perfect Autumn and Winter scent and reminds me of the lovely scent of burning leaf piles and fireplaces along with sweet sap. I was originally thinking it would be harsh and masculine and maybe better for my husband. No way. It's mine :yum:

ETA: Wearing this today again. It's definitely smokey but with the sweetness weaving in and out of it. Perfect and Autumnal.

Edited by fiddlehead

In the decant and wet on my skin, the woodsmoke is the only thing I smell. Soon the flames recede into embers, making way for the other notes. Maybe it's PMS screwing with me, but for a while this smells like a pineapple upside down cake baking in a wood-burning oven. That's actually a pretty good smell, but the smoke does keep reappearing as the dominant note. Finally it settles into exactly the kind of smoky treacle scent I imagined from reading the notes, with just a trace of beer. This could be perfect for certain moods in colder weather, but I won't need more than the decant.

I was very happy to test this today at Comic Con, and then to buy a bottle. I do smell the smokey firey stuff, but there is also something more elegant underneath it, sort of incensey???? Could be sweet??? Whatever it is keeps it from being just a smokey firey thing, and turns it into an elegant wearable fragrance.

there used to be a place, between Aragon and Cedartown, where sometimes these crazy bonfire parties would happen. there was a searchlight, beaming up to the heavens as a signpost to find the place, if you didn't already know how to get there. and just like sargeismydog's review... there were shenanigans. and sometimes jell-o wrestling.

sweet woods burning, lots of spilled beer, tires to sit on, and well, a lot of memories. but not really something i want to wear as a *perfume*.

My fave of the 2012 Weenies so far! At first it was overwhelming burnt wood on my wrist, like the blast that slaps you in the face when the wind suddenly changes course at a bonfire. Very evocative and wonderful scent, but not something I dream of adorning myself with. But then...

A smooth dark sweetness emerged, like a bottle of rich brown ale poured over the charred embers. Reminds me of a bottle of pure vetiver oil I once had. This one requires further evaluation!

TEN DAYS LATER: We have a Weenie Winner! LOL! I ordered a bottle. This oil has been my scent obsession for the last week. I've nearly used up the imp, carrying it around and slathering it on. This is the perfect story of an Autumn Bonfire. Charred wood and flames fanned by the wind. It's an intense and evocative scent that fades into the sweet warmth of someone's shoulder as you cuddle closer while the leaves swirl and dance.

:wub2: Maybe I should have ordered two...

Edited by zeldaZ4

Hmmm. This is a skin chemistry fail for me. I expect that the treacle, possibly the tar is to blame. All I'm getting is a sort of musty, bitter, semi-smoky smell. Like mud and wet leaves and some plastic trampled into bonfire coals. I think I'd better leave this to the people whose skin likes these notes!

I love this! I'm so glad I felt brave enough to get a bottle straight off. If you liked Butterscotch Balls and Black Beetles, I think you might well like this too. It's earthy but also a bit toffee-ish. Strangely it doesn't really remind me of bonfires. I must have gone to different ones from everybody else! I think this is because mine are usually to burn uncompostable things in the garden, and don't involve food or anything to drink. But the smell of this is just like the notes listed, and just what I'd hoped for.

Edited by Quillifer

In the bottle: genuinely reminds me of autumn leaves and wet earth.. I actually can't think of anything closer to the scent of walking outside on a rainy day

Wet on skin: Yep, still wet leaves and damp wood, hint of charred wood. Then there's that boozy undertone.

Drying: Sweetness is coming, getting that treacle note seeping through. I'm a little saddened at how fast its disappearing on my skin.

I do love this blend, it's so evocative. Reminds me of venturing outside on a rainy night, when there are leaves on the ground, and bonfires are blazing in the neighbours back gardens!

:wub2: not sure how often I'll wear this, but definitely a keeper.

This is for the 2012 version.

In the decant: A sweet beer, with wood smoke near-by.

Wet: A crispy note of wood smoke, mostly. The oil is pink.

The dry-down: Mostly a wood smoke scent. No beer that I detect as it dries. The treacle gives it a bit of sweetness and the tar gives the smoke a sharpness, as though green leaves were burnt, not fallen leaves. Interesting, but the decant is plenty.

Very spicy and fall-like at first, the beer is making kind of fruity, I like this. I don't do well with smoke blends, so I put this one in my 'to try later' pile. I don't get much smoke wet, but after a bit, it does come out. The dry-down does end up mainly smoke, but it's a soft one, no spices or beer now. Not bad for a smoke blend, but I'd never wear this. I did like the wet stage.

Wet: Sweet and very smoky, like Malediction with syrup added.

Drydown: Mesquite drizzled with maple syrup. A bit of soot too. A touch of hops begins to lift the blend as it approaches the dry stage.

Dry: Smoky clouds of woodsmoke and soot mixed with frothy wheat beer. Sweetened by a touch of charred toffee. Gloriously dark, dirty, and burnt. Yummmm.

2012 vintage: this is so heavy on the tar, that it smells like burning tires to me. I don't get any sweetness from this at all. I've even tried layering it with other scents to sweeten it up, but the tar always comes blasting through. Too bad. :cry2: But I had a decant of the earlier version that aged into something sweeter, so I'll just return this back into the box and see what happens in another year.

2012 decant:

I get campfire burnt wood and ashes and a hint of sweetness. I'm positive i caught whiffs of vetiver, but it could be my nose playing tricks on me.

Imagine the heavy smell of cremated wood logs and some campfire smoke rising and ttreacle, rendering a bit of sweetness.

HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD. I finally got my hands on a bottle of this and I die. I’m dead. It’s everything I hoped it would be and more. I could cry. This is the smoky, campfire-y, boozy, sweet smell I have been searching for. Omg I NEED ALL THE BOTTLES.

2012 Decant:

Amazing. I didn't expect to like this. I got it from a decant circle back in 2012, then life happened and I never got to testing it. I got it on a whim, though.

But When i FIRST got into Bpal a scent I wanted was bonfire. I gave up on it, because you end up with Hellfire more often ( :rofl: ). But this is THAT SCENT.

This is nights around a fire with friends. There's a touch of even autumn leaves. This is a fall/late summer fire and camping and omg the emotions this brings up is amazing. This makes me want to go visit my family and stay up late watching shooting stars. Holy cow man.

It doesn't get too dark/masculine. It stays just light enough. There is a lingering.. almost-basement smell. But it works in this scent and feels like it belongs - burning grass and playing in dirt around the firepit.

I think I'm going to need to hunt some bottles of this to put into the diffuser for a room scent.