Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
la_biscuit

Satyr

Unleash the bawdy, unrestrained passion of the satyr! A ferociously masculine scent: sexual, vigorous, and truly wild.

Ok, on me it smells like the smell of a sexy, manly man's neck....with vick's vap-o-rub wafting up from his chest...for at least the first hour. Then it starts to smell like just the sexy, manly man's neck. :P Not too sure I'll be using this one if I have to endure an hour of vick's. Ah well. Back to the old drawing board! Edited by Shollin

Masculine, dirty (in a good way), I think I'm getting some ginger in the mix, and also very strong - I could have used half the amount I usually put on and gotten enough of an effect. I'm also thinking there might be licorice in here, but I'm not strong on that one. Not a big bottle, but definitely in the "keep" pile.

Edited to add: I also get the Vicks smell during the first hour.

Edited by KassiK

This smells a lot like Shub, but with a thick lashing of dark, dark patchouli! Sort of yummy even though I don't like really dark patch. Spicy!

Vetiver and Civet? I think? I'm starting to trust myself a bit better with this identifying scents thing.

This is SO dark in the vial. It's like it's eaten all the sunlight out of the room, and that's just what it smells like. Like utter darkness. Stumbling through a dark rotted forest, terrified and lost. I like it. It's violent and obviously not going to be for everyone. It's a clean scent, but heavy and intimidating.

Conclusion - Not much I can say. It's dark. It's yum.

7/10. I'm glad my man bought this for himself! I get to steal it!

From Sealgair, queen of reviews, and the Civet Evangelism Circle:

In the imp, this...well, I just say scrummy! It's yummers! It's delightful in other words, sweet and fun and sexy.

On the skin, this goes sweaty hairy sexy guy very quickly.

Now, initially the sweaty hairy guy is kind of randy and sexy with a little fir tree or faint cedar maybe...and I'm working with that, but MY he's really throwing his scent around!

I mean it's much more rare for me to be able to smell a scent, I mean have it really in my nose, while I'm typing and be worried that it's carrying over to my beloved on the couch (hates the BPAL) but I'm choking on the fumes here because I'm afraid Saytr has taken a bit of a turn. Generally I'm lucky with scent. I've rarely RARELY ever have something "go" on me, but for a while here it's kinda... :P and worse yet, crawling up my nose UGH.

However, just in the course of typing this that ugh has turned a bit to relief since now I can really smell the red musk/patchouli, a bit soapy and rubbery faintly but OH so infinitely better than before. It's still a little flat/chokey from a distance. Nose to crook of arm it's much better and sweeter but it's kind of light a faint gassy flatness when my nose isn't up against skin.

So much so, that I want to keep my nose buried in my arm so I don't have to endure it...

...and I can't type if I do that.

I'm sorely tempted to wash this off except for faint wafts of sweet deliciousness that drift up occasionally. It's mostly patchouli and red musk, I imagine, but it keeps getting negated by whatever WWI toxic vapor persists in rising up crying "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

I need a TimeLord to move us up a few hours and gets to a full dry stage which I hope will be better...

Thanks Doctor!

Okay, this is better.

*wipes sweat from brow*

Lovely sweet grittiness with a kind of fresh, sharper edge.

I need not chew my arm off.

Yay!

(And yes, by the clock this didn't take very long, but it felt like an eternity!)

In The Bottle

Spicey, boozy (?).

On Application

Well there's some leather in there

Dry Down

Smokey, spiced leather. Cinnamon comes out to play after 5 minutes perhaps with clove. This is such a familiar scent. Ah, I think there is some cedar and/or sandalwood peeking out. I'm really not sure if I like this. It is certainly powerful.

Rating (0-5)

HA! This is a dood scent??? I effing love it! I get earth with a touch of clove and a dash of cinnamon...mebbe a peice of sweet juicy fruit. Totally sexy... I really love this... I'd say its totally unisex though cause I had no clue it was masculine! Oh yeah spicy clove cigarettes all the way!! I can wear this to clubs and when I glisten (cause girls don't sweat) then It'll REALLY amp the spice. I'll be wearing this more often.

Sexy rating?? GIRL BONER! :P

ADDED 7/26/09:

I received this a long time ago, and threw it in my swaps pile. I was going through my pile and picked this bad boy up. Holy cow! I can not believe I was going to frimp this away!! It's fantastic!!

Right off the bat, sweet patchouli and possibly other resins. It's also got maybe a touch of cinnamon, but not too much as it doesn't burn my skin. This is very reminiscent of Sin. I'm in LOVE!!! I'd say it's more uni sexual than masculine. This is big bottle worthy in my book. :D

Spicy cinammon over smutty, swarthy muskiness. This is smooth yet spiked. Kind of like the little horny (heh) nubs coming out of a snarky satyr's brow. There's something like patchouli underneath, too... I suspect. Maybe vetiver also? It's hard to say.

If cornered in the forest by a man named Billy with suspiciously shaggy legs and some hoofy-looking footprints, given that he smelled like this (and had a killer grin) I might be powerless to resist his charms.

...but, that's an isolated scenario. For an everyday scent, I think I'd appreciate smelling something more, um... sedate.

Ok, so I knew this wouldn't be for me so I had hubby try it.

It smells like leather, cinnamon, clove. rotted hay, and butt. Seriously. It smells like someone is tryint to cover up a funk with something really nice. Hubby said it reminds him of the horses at Busch Gardens.

It was almost good.

in the imp: licorice root, cherry bark, and some sort of resinous wood substance. it smells like natural cough syrup- but only the best kind :D

wet on skin: more of the same, but there is a spicy sexy note emerging- something between cinnamon and rosewood? maybe?

dry down: it's fading to...spicy cardboard :D

in all: i'll have to try this one again, because my hopes were so high, but it seems to have that note that was in Enraged Groundhog that just turns to wet cardboard box on me. i'd gladly takes Vick's Vapo-Rub over that. sigh...

:P

wet/in imp: hrm...this smells like something i already have...sniffing again...yes, i already have something like this that i love.

dry: this smells like something i have already. what is it???

i certainly don't smell shub or snake oil. shub smells a lot like a wicked gingerbread poppet.

WHAT IS IT???

oh. *pulls out sin and fenris wolf and for good measure schwarzer mond*

puts on sin. hrm..it really smells like this.

puts on fenris wolf. hrm...it really smells like this too.

opens schwarzer mond...nope not even close.

satyr is like fenris wolf had a naughty fling and made fenris wolf sin babies.

there is definitely amber and a wood in there...not sure if its sandalwood or rose wood. there is a note i'm not certain about making it a little more dusty on the dry down. and maybe some dark patchouli as well...no cinnamon to give it spice...

i certainly wouldn't say it smells like goat butt, because i don't go around sniffing goat butts.

this is luffly. i wonder if it would smell delicious on my man.

i certainly don't need a bottle of this if i already have 2 scents that smell almost exactly like it.

Imp: Man! Total spicy man with a tease of sweet under it

Wet on me: Love so far. I seem to wear men’s scents well

more spicy sweet…but not sugar sweet.

Drying Down: Spicy still…faintest touch of cinnamon..but

not enough to overwhelm it. Delightful still

Dry: Spicy love. My hand got a wee bit warm where I put

it on…must be the cinnamon. I like this..for a spicy one. Keeping the frimp.

This really reminds me of Sherezade. I see no scents in the description, but I think there is some kind of musk and patchouli. I didn't know this was a guy scent, it's really quite smooth, and dirty on me in a good way. I have Scherezade though, so probably won't be needing any more of this lovely.

Oh dear gods! I fell in love with this scent at first whiff, must order bottles of the stuff!

It's wonderfully warm, strong (though thankfully not as strong as Fenris Wolf by far) and sensual and seductive. The perfect blend of sandalwood and other notes to make it the most gorgeous, sexy, masculine scent you'd ever want to smell on a guy and makes you want to crawl/nuzzle into his neck. This is a definite keeper. I'm afraid to wear this one to work though, I'd fear all the female co-workers might not leave me alone to get my work done :P

Funny thing is. When I got Lush's Aromarant (sandelwood) deodorant I'd always wanted a fragrance that smelled like that. And now I've found something that takes everything I love about Aromarant and makes it even better.

In the imp: Red musk, patchouli and an unidentified spice (not cinnamon or ginger)...my eyes are watering a bit from the strength of the blend.

Wet on skin: This has more going on than musk, patchouli and what I now think is clove. (Vetiver? Sandalwood?) In any case, the patchouli/musk anger is mellowing and it's not as aggressive on my skin as in the bottle.

Dry on skin: This dries down nicely. My skin chemistry tends to make every blend sweeter and drier; this is no exception. The clove plays nicely with the heavier elements and the overall effect is quite comforting. It is massively strong and lasts on me until I scrub it off (12+ hours).

Masculine or not, this mellows enough on my skin to be worn during cold weather.

The oil is the darkest BPAL I've ever encountered. I applied it with the imp stick and it looks like warpaint on my skin. Be very very careful when putting this stuff on!

Wet: dragon's blood.

As it dries: spice.

A little drier (but with warpaint streaks still showing on skin): musk + spice.

Throw: all dragon's blood, unfortunately. (I layered a bit of Bezoar over it to temper the boring redness of the dragon's blood, and it smelled lovely.)

Length: Lasts foooooreeeeeever.

It's nice and warm. It might be a good holiday scent. There's no need for a bottle, but I'll give the imp a good home.

this has been in my husband's imp pile for months and he hasn't touched it, so i snatched it back on a whim.

HE'S NOT GETTING IT BACK. well, not until i get a big bottle at any rate.

very simply, this is Czernobog Lite, buffered with plump spicy mulled raisins. Slightly foody, all sexay. i don't know why all these hot manly scents smell so sweetly delicious on me, but hey i'm not complaining....i LOVEZ them.

100% winner and i'll gladly take any imps off the hands of those who find it too stank. :P

Edited by butcherbaby

Blech. Civet. We are NOT friends. This started out with a red musk tone to it and I think I could smell Dragon's blood in here too. And then, I got that familiar rank pee smell... It's too bad, because I thought this would be love on my skin. Not so much.

I've been anticipating satyr since I first perused the forum reviews and when I first put it on I have to agree with some of the critics - I DO smell like a horse. Huh. Not in a bad way, it is just really animalistic. This is one of those that makes me wrinkle my nose but when I go in for a second sniff it's not as strong. I like it? It's getting sweeter and milder about an hour later. Now that I'm thinking of my horses (big, doofy buggers that the are) I think I'll try mixing this with Gunpowder, my favorite horse scent and see what happens :P ooooooh nice! Now there's a horse scent!!

My boyfriend got an imp of this from his other girlfriend, who got it as a freebie. I took a sniff and got:

patchouli

vetiver?

civet or musk of some unusual kind

I have only tried it on myself thus far. The scent isn't necessarily pleasant--certainly nothing I could wear, myself!--but it IS powerful. Someone mentioned associating this with a "king stag" archetype. Yeah. That's it. This is not a scent for sexual play or flirtation. This is a scent for rutting season. I will see if I can get my man to wear this at Beltane. Then we'll see if I can keep my hands off him.

A frimp from the Lab. Because they are obviously psychic or something, and always include something I would never in a million years pick out for myself, but which....

So, dark, dark oil in the little imp bottle. I took a tentative sniff of the wand, because I was expecting something all Oh The Patchouli People Are Here and They Brought Animals along with them.

It smelled to my unsophisticated nose very sweet and dark. And I like sweet and dark.

Conservatively I put a bit on only one wrist. Usually, I have to say, I kind of dump quantities everywhere.

Satyr?? And it smells on me like red musk sweetened and darkened. Maybe amber--something that goes a bit powdery and haunting (trying to recall--maybe red musk does this on my skin?). It is kind of like Mme Moriarty, which is lovely.

Long lasting, comforting, sexy. I could see where, if my partner would wear something other than sweat and book dust this might be good on him. But it is great on me.