Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarahmarie

Fairy Market

Otherworldy golden incense, blooming wind-flowers, everlasting lavender, bluebell, a faint whiff of exotic sugared candies, and fae mist upon wet green grass.

In Bottle: Grassy, sweet, sharp and floral with a slight, slight fruity undertone.

Wet: Instant death. Soft, dusty incense and a sharp grass tone. No fruit, no sweetness at all. Light to medium throw.

5 minutes: Same.

15 minutes: Same. Throw is gone and now it's a completely on skin scent.

1 hour +: Eventually the flowers bloom a bit, giving the tiniest amount of sweetness. But not much. At about the 2 hour mark the scent disappears altogether.

Overall: Well, my chemistry obviously gave me the finger on this one. The moment it touched my skin everything sweet, fresh and elaborate in the bottle just disappeared. Gone. This is the lingering smell two weeks after the Fairy Market has left town and I missed it. *pout*

In the decant: Soft, delicate florals.

Wet on skin: Sweet and slightly fruity.

Dry: A little more of the incense coming through, but instead of being strong resiny incense, this comes through just as a drier, faintly smoky floral smell.

Verdict: Silvery, fruity floral - light and ethereal. Just lovely. Might need a bottle.

This is pretty interesting. In the imp I can't smell anything! Putting it on, I definitely smell something, but it's hard to make out. The thought of what a fairy market smells like really influenced why I wanted to get this. There's not much to the notes that interest me, but I do like sugar.

On the skin, I can't make out any of the notes. It's sweet. There's incense in the background. And florals, but none that I can smell individually.

I don't think this is an outdoor market. It smells like a quaint indoor store.

I would say, if you like incense smells, you might like this one. It's a little lighter and floral, but it could be right for you if you are in the right mood.

Imp: Sugared florals. Not as sugary as, say, Hope and Faith, but similarly sugared. Hont of greenery and maybe a bit of incense smoke.

Wet: Sugary, green florals. There is a white floral in this that I can't quite place but can cross-reference from other blends. There's also something a bit flat, like flat pop.

Dry: Eh. It reminds me a lot of Poisson D'Avril but while Poisson D'Avril blooms on my chemistry, this one falls a little short. It's a simple sugary incense/floral blend that doesn't quite pop on me. It's very quietand skin close and very reserved. It doesn't fit the boisterous image I have of a fairy market.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I wish it was a suitable dub for Poisson D'Avril but it just doesn't seem to work on my skin. Oh well. Ques sera.

This is a really sweet, almost sugary floral in the imp, can't pick out specific notes, but mmm. On my skin, it's sugary florals, with goldish incense and grass coming out, we'll see if anything happens from here. Needs a fuller skin test for me to decide whether or not it's for me.

On the full skin test, I'm getting a balance between dewy grass and sugary florals and this golden edge to everything, just absolutely ethereal and wonderful. Definitely getting added to the bottle list.

Edited by Venneh

This reminds me of visiting the mall.. but not in a bad way. Smells a bit like the sweet fruity floral mixes that lingerie and body cosmetics shops permeate and purposely waft out into the corridors to entice customers into their stores. ;)

In imp: sharp floral, bit of grass, and something buttery like a sweet musk?

Wet: florals explode on this. Not the lavender, don't worry about that, but more about the bluebell and something iris or buttercup-ish.

Drydown: After all settles in, the incense has a chance to glow. A mischeivous golden scent, living up to it's lab description.

Both times I've tried this, I haven't been in a position to pay close attention to the notes or the nuances as it dries and transforms. But here are my overall impressions:

In the bottle: Very floral and sweet, like a heady bouquet of flowers, sugary candy, and baked goods. I'm not a huge fan of sugary sweet foodie scents, so instantly I regret ordering a full bottle without sniffing first!

On my skin: It is definitely a sweet, heady floral, but it's not sharp. Still sugary sweet, but the smell is growing on me. I'm not getting any grass like some reviewers have. Mostly it's the flowers. I get some incense in there too, but it's mixed with the candy/baked goods.

Later: This is strong, and it lasts for a long time, which is something that I need to keep in mind so that I don't slather it on. The flowers stay sweet and strong for a long time. The sugary candy scent settles so that it rounds out the flowers rather than making me smell like a honey bun. The incense is there, but rounding out the flowers with the candy. I think it definitely holds true to its description.

Overall: Definitely sweet, both the flowers and the candy/incense, but I like it. I think this will be a nice spring scent on days when I want something sweeter.

In the imp: Sweet and light, somewhat floral. I like it.

Wet on skin: Nice, light, sweet florals with a hint of grass beneath them.

Drydown: There is just a sprinkling of candies, lightly sweet beneath the florals and grass. Not really getting incense.

Dry: This is a soft, sweet, glitering scent. Very feminine, very nice.

Overall: I like this much more than I thought I would. It was a lovely frimp from a swap and now I really want a bottle.

In the bottle: soft and floral

Wet: Much more strongly floral and a bit of incense. I really wasn't sure about the scent at this point.

Dry: I'm getting some of the sweetness and grass now blending with the florals. It's light and very delicate.

Overall, it's a very pretty scent. I'm not entirely sure if it's for me right now, so I'm going to try it a few times and see if I change my mind. I'll post again once I decide.

Edited to Add: After a few hours of wearing this, I got a massive headache. Definitely not for me, although I do think it is a pretty scent.

Edited by TriGirlJ

Freshly applied, Fairy Market is candied grass, bluebells, and faint incense. It dries down to the scent of grass and exotic florals. Eventually the scent becomes a sweet floral. This one is beautiful and very evocative of its name.

I hope it returns someday! I'm a big fan of the Stardust line in general and this one is my favorite.

When I was first opened the bottle I was filled with a scent similar to a very sweet incense and the smell of various flowers. As I put the Fragrance on my skin I noticed the change as soon as it mixed with the natural oils in my skin and the smell became almost like a fruity candy with a hint of lavender. After about two hours or so I was left with a subtly sweet smell along with the scent of dew on grass. All in all it was a very nice and intoxicating smell and it will definitely draw attention when you use it but not a bad sort of attention.

I wish for a swift return of this scent one day. It simply is magnificent.

In the imp: Smells sweet, floral and fruity. I'm wondering whether this was worth the hype. It smells a lil like a perfume I've smelled before... in a department store...

Wet on skin: Grass, sweet florals and fruits. Faint incense in the background

Drydown: the incense are bolder, the sweetness of it has toned down, there is a very faint whiff of earth. It is still intensely floral though.

Dry: Oh. That's beautiful. I may have tested a little too much on my wrists but finally, I get the mystery and the ethereal. The florals are faded in the background now and it really does smell like an outdoor market, the stalls, the flowers, the green grass by the hills, the dirt beneath your feet. Dammit. Please come back Fairy Market!! :(

This is lovely, an ethereal floral that swirls and blends and separates again. One of the few "perfumey" BPALs that I like.

I'd wear this on a night out with my husband, maybe to a Cirque du Soleil show.

This is lovely!

On the skin: Slightly green and golden scent. Slightly floral, but it just seems mostly golden to me. Very sad this one was discontinued because it is just very pretty!

Wet: Fresh, crisp, green, and sweet! This is really pretty, but a little faint.

Drying: I smell the floral elements and the grass most clearly here, but the candy sweetness is still definitely present.

Dry: More candy, but with a plasticky note to it. I wonder if one of the flowers involved is violet, because violet usually does this exact same plastic thing on my skin. That's a shame. I was really liking this for a while. :(

In the imp: Sweet grasses.

Wet: Reminds me quite a bit of Summer Summoning Spectacular, in the combination of grasses and sweetness.

Dry: A really lovely mix of grass and sweet florals. What a shame it was discontinued!

I have been waiting YEARS to get my hands on a bottle of this :joy: Someone, many moons ago, let me scent this from their bottle at a Meet N Sniff. but I didn't get to try it on, so this is all new for me...

In the Bottle: The sugar note that works so well with florals in Faith, Hope and TKO. I'm also getting the bluebell and a hint of the green, though at this point to me it smells less like grasses and more like dandelion :think:

Wet On Skin: The golden incense note is definitely coming out to play at this point- it's reminding me of shops in Southern California in the 90's that would sell chain wallets, band t-shirts and bag-your-own incense- the way all the various flavors of incense would combine to make this general spicy incense-y smell. Really nice.

Dry Down: The sugared-floral combination is holding steady, with that incense note thrown in to round things out. The fresh/green note has all but vanished.

In All: Low throw (lower than any of the other scents I've tried with the same sugar note in it) and a softness to the scent. I would wear this on a nighttime Summer stroll through Central Park or any time that I wanted a little romance, and a little magic. ;)

This is beautiful and a damn shame that it got discontinued.

I disliked this at first sniff, Fairy Market smells like a heady department store perfume to me (Roma or something quite like it). Needless to say I don't get the otherworldly fae mist connection. I hope someone else will like this more. :smilenod:

In the bottle - This is a grassy kind of sweet. Not my usual sugar sweet. I’m a little hesitant.

Wet - Incense and grass, with something mischievous behind it. I usually hate incense, but this “golden incense” is behaving remarkably well on me.

Drydown - I’m definitely getting the fairy vibe from this. For my money, it’s less of a fairy market and more like the memory of fairy children doing cartwheels through a sunny meadow near the market while their parents are working. I usually despise grassy notes, but I can’t stop smelling my wrist.

Verdict - On cold sniff I was ready to throw this in the swap pile, but it warmed up so beautifully that I’m considering tracking down more. Ugh, why does all the good stuff have to be discontinued?

I had high hopes for this one, and unfortunately it didn't really live up to them.

I get a lot of the grassy notes, and a teensy bit of incense. I don't get any of the candy, sadly.

It has rather low throw on me, but lasts a fair amount of time.

I'm happy to have my decant, but probably won't be needing any more.

The Fairy Market is like a floral candy pastille. Blue flowers, green grass, and sugar is what I get both wet and on drydown. Great for those who love sugared florals, like Hope and Violet. This would also have made a wonderful atmo spray!

♔ The Fairy Market

In the Bottle: Explosion of sharp, sweet grass and faint pale coloured florals in a mist

Wet: Ah! One of my favourite, fondly thought of and scene-evoking scents! Fizzy white incense, really delicate petals the sharpness of the scent reminds me of tuberose and a little of the freesia in Ava and BFJA mixed with a wisp of lavender and another watery cold-coloured floral. Its not at all a candied floral, its not fresh per-se either.. its like something changed the composition and these grasses and florals became everlasting and might smell like this forever, dewy, yet sharp and crystalline without any of the coldness a little nose tingle maybe- like fairy dust? It definitely reminds me of the same sharpness and almost effervescent/shimmery/sparkly, fae-like quality I get from Juliet, BFJA, Ava, Muse of Fire, and Midnight on the Midway.

Drydown: The mist seems sweeter to the nose now, though still as sharp, like powder-coated and effervescent boiled lollies sitting in the sun-glowy, warmed grass. This smells like Midnight on the Midway during the day, without its cotton candyish sugared incense component and with boiled lollies instead. I feel like a dewy golden sunshine is warming everything up, its quite atmospheric but at the very same time.

TL;DR: Pale coloured, boiled sweets sitting in effervescent ever-fae grass, glistening in the glowy warm sun.

ETA: fixed typo

Edited by celestia

I have put off trying this, along with several other decants of rares I have been hoarding, because I knew I would likely need more once I tried it. *sigh*. I almost want to hate it...

Wet: Much grassier than I expected! And soapy...hmmm. Maybe I'll get my wish and I won't need more! So far this is not good on my skin. Yes, very soapy. Though as it warms, it turns into really pretty soap. Like, the most expensive soap ever, in the nicest hotel you've ever seen. Or maybe in a magic castle! Ya, this is like magic castle soap. Would love to wash my hands with it - don't want to wear it.

Dry: Next to nothing, just the scent version of an after-image of expensive, magical, grassy soap. I'm OK with not loving this! So happy I got to try it though! <3 Thank you to the lovely who swapped me for it.

This is vaguely reminding me of The Ghastly Garden!! Must be the wet green grass. Actually, it's incredibly similar though the notes are completely different. All the while the notes not resembling apart what it does mixed like this.

HOWEVER, on drydown things get a bit more pink; floral, sugary, a touch of incense and then that wet grass, which has now drooped quietly to the background; really cute. definately giving me droomvlucht flashbacks.

I am unsure even how to describe this except a little sweet but not foody. Ethereal with a touch of incense. It is really lovely. I was skeptical but this is everything I had hoped it would be and maybe better. It is not floral or foody, just atmospheric and right.