Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Schlafende Baigneuse

Skin musk, white cream, honeycomb, yellow rose, King mandarin, chrysanthemum, golden amber, honeysuckle, and wide-throated yellow monkey-flower accord.

I wasn't so sure about this blend; as the good notes (on me) outweigh the bad ones. At first, though, it's gorgeous -- a sweet honey-drenched floral with a solid base that keeps it from rolling off the edge into Too Sweet.

As it dries, though, the honey lessens and the florals amp up. Hrmm. I think this one is a little too floral for me. But it's not because it's a floral that goes bad on me -- actually, Schlafende Baigneuse ends up being a pretty white floral dipped in a very, very small amount of honey -- it's just that I'm not a floral girl. Edited by Shollin

Wow - this is a floral I LIKE! It's absolutely yellow. None of the white floral ick here.

Wet, it's all about the skin musk and honeysuckle. Skin musk is a very naughty smelling musk, to my nose. When wet, this blend is making lewd suggestions. Always a good thing.

As it dries, this is just heavenly. I'm guessing it's due to the honeysuckle, but it's reminding me of Cancer 07 without the dreaded sweetpea - and with the added sexuality of amber and musk. This is floral without being cloying, and girly without being flippant. The warm depth to this is languid and womanly, surrounded by yellow blooms and warm air.

I've found my floral for when I feel like getting my girly on. This is yummy, and if the amber continues to behave, I am definitely getting a bottle. :P

In the imp: Reminds me to Les Bijoux, floral slightly powdery, a little rosey

On Skin: Simple, nice, perfume. Clean without the scent of soap. Subtle floral. I can smell the lilies

On Drydown: Clean, slightly perfumed skin.

Verdict: It's like I've taken a shower with some really nice, really expensive French perfume. It smells like I would smell... except not. Very light throw and drydown. My skin just ate it all up!

At first sniff this was really, really floral, enough so that I at first thought "Ack! Swap!" It was overpoweringly perfumey. But thankfully, that phase does settle down, and it eventually becomes a little more manageable.

After about an hour or two, it had settled to a fairly pleasant level. On my wrists it was a bit baby-powderish, but in the crooks of my arms it was a lovely, soft, warm amber-musk with floral overtones, a bit reminiscent of Lyonesse and also Vasakasajja from the Faces of the Heroine series. Much more likable that way -- but still, I suspect, not really for me. Maybe if it smelled that way more consistently...

I do think that this one will win major fans from among the people who are better with florals than I am -- it's very well-formulated, evocative of an expensive perfume, and would probably be lovely on someone other than me. On me it's eventually nice, but only after passing through the Screaming Floral Death stage.

Grade: B/B-

It is a very faint scent, with the rose coming out the most. It is a soft rose, everything in this blend is soft and bare. I like it and I will definitely use the imp up but I don't think I will need a bottle.

Imp: A springy yellow scent. Rose over other sweet spring-like florals.

Wet: Oh yes, quite a lot of rose. Rose with a touch of honeysuckle, a hint of citrus. Very gentle, sophistocated, pastel yellow perfume.

Drying: This is a skin scent at first, but evolves into a floral with a moderate amt of throw. Early on, it has a vegetable note (like squash) deep underneath of a pale yellow rose/spring floral, and a slight honeyed sweetness, and a hint of pale dust (amber? musk?). Later, as the florals grow stronger and gain more throw, it reminds me of litha or ex lux fuit. A light, sweet, golden floral.

Overall: Its a gentle and sophisticated, very feminine scent to me. Very pretty, but not something I think I'd wear often (not so much a floral girl).

This is perfume. It smells expensive, refined, feminine, and *pretty.* I have no problems with the scent dying on my skin; actually, if I applied more than a swipe across each wrist, I'm sure there'd be hella sillage. It's a floral that smells fresh, tart and sweet combining effortlessly over a base of slightly rounded creaminess. I think this is the same rose used in Knave of Hearts, and blended with the other flowers smell freshly picked--not specifically rose at all. A special occasion scent, or for everyday when you want to feel cosmopolitan and gorgeous. This smells like I should have paid a hundred more dollars than I actually did.

ETA: As I thought, throw is very strong and lasts for a very long time on me. For the days I want to feel like a pretty pretty princess.

Edited by cinderfallen

Lovely! I guess this must be stronger on my skin than it is on other people who have reviewed it, because I can smell it nice and strong. I don't think it's faint at all. It's a pretty, creamy rose scent with a pleasant dry aspect underneath it. It does smell yellow, and I think this is the only yellow floral scent I've liked so far. It smells warm and golden. Also, this is not a girl's innocent floral perfume; it's elegant and sophisticated, and I like that a lot.

Very nice.

As many other reviewers have noted, this is quite a yellow blend, with the rose taking the lead as the oil is initially applied (at least on my skin). There's also a bit of yellow-orange mandarin citrus scent, which is probably stronger on me than it is on most people because my skin amps all citrus notes like crazy. As it dries, it actually takes on a bit of yellow-green tea smell--very light and delicate, as befits the painting itself. The scent returns to the yellow rose, except it is not accompanied by citrus, but by the creamier notes and perhaps a bit of the honeysuckle. This is a really pretty scent, and for a "light category" scent, it retains strength and staying power pretty well.

This is very much a naked- skin scent. It isn't strong and doesn't last long, but damn, it makes you feel sophisticated when you wear it. Creamy musk and dry crysanthamum and something exotic that might be

the legendary wide-throated yellow monkeyflower accord (where do you GET wide-throated yellow monkeyflower accord anyway?) This might be a good scent for situations in which a stronger perfume wouldn't be welcome, but I wear in entirely for myself.

imp: amber with mixed florlas.

wet: rose. the rose is not quite as soapy as it could be, but it's pretty close. however, it's very sweet soap.

dry: thankfully, the rose faded almost completely (that's a first!) and i'm left with soft, sweet florls.

i've always kinda liked this painting, so that's why i ordered this. i've had it for quite some time (bought it when it was first released) but hadn't opened it until just now.

sniffed from the bottle all i get is a faint whiff of a rather generic soft floral

on skin this has a whole lotta throw for about two minutes and then it becomes a can't-smell-it-unless-i-smoosh-my-nose-right-up-against-my-hand type of scent

and all i really get out of this is waxy honeycomb and roses with the painful bite of citrus zest in the background.

roses and citrus? eh, not for me. i think there's just too much going on in this blend for my taste.

Wet on my skin, Schlafende Baigneuse is a light rose and honey, very pretty. Unfortunately, my skin changes it to floral soap before it's even dry. Someone else can enjoy this.

wet, this is a "tonal" scent so well blended it is impossible to say what this smells like, except to say this smells yellow, in the tones quite like the painting. i smell yellow rose, a hint of mandarin and chrysanthemum on the edges.

dry, pretty much no throw. a sweet, almost too sweet, but clean, "yellow" scent.

This is lightly lovely! The skin musk is warm, and gently flushed with rose. I get a hint of soap from it, but it's bearable and throw is modest. A good daytime scent for me... and the label is gorgeous too.

In the vial: Sweet, rich, with an unfamiliar fleshy flower scent about it.

Wet: Honeysuckle cut with something sharp, maybe the amber, over a deeper but diffuse floral base. Heady but not sweet.

Twenty minutes: Rose and honeysuckle, but with a bite that might be the chrysanthemum. It's a little bit soapy, but in a soft and voluptuous sort of "I'm clean! Touch me!" way.

One hour: The bite and the soapy impression have vanished. Now it's mostly rose and honeysuckle. It's very beautifully soft-focus, and I love it.

Three hours: At two hours I loved this. At three hours I loved this. Now it's lost most of its subtlety; what's left is very gentle honeysuckle, like the way Lonicera japonica smells when the blooms have gone all yellow and saggy.

This is a scent I have been looking for for 30 years, ever since "White Shoulders" broke my heart by failing on me. Now I can finally wear honeysuckle!

ADDED Jan. 9:

In the vial: Sweet, rich, with an unfamiliar fleshy flower scent about it.

Wet: Honeysuckle cut with something sharp, maybe the amber, over a deeper but diffuse floral base. Heady but not sweet.

Twenty minutes: Rose and honeysuckle, but with a bite that might be the chrysanthemum. It's a little bit soapy, but in a soft and voluptuous sort of "I'm clean! Touch me!" way.

One hour: The bite and the soapy impression have vanished. Now it's mostly rose and honeysuckle. I can see now why I remembered it so vividly from my first Meet 'n Sniff; it's very beautifully soft-focus, and I love it.

Three hours: At two hours I loved this. At three hours I loved this. Now it's lost most of its subtlety; what's left is very gentle honeysuckle, like the way Lonicera japonica smells when the blooms have gone all yellow and saggy.

This was one of my first BPAL bottles and still a favorite. It's one of the scents I wear when I'm trying to pass in polite society. :P

Wet, on me, Hello rose! Please don't amp.

Maybe yellow rose will behave.

Though it isn't screaming, the rose isn't letting anything else by yet.

*waits*

Ok, a musky creamy rose with maybe other flowers in the background. For a scent with rose in it, it is surprisingly nice.

I was hoping for more honeycomb and amber, though.

Oh, I find this just beee-youuuu-ti-ful! It does go quite strongly rose on me right at first, but as previous reviews have said, it's not your usual rose. It truly is softer, creamier and simply lovely. It doesn't go InsaneRose on me like Hymn did. After a while is warms into the softest of musks and honeysuckle. (Which I am QUITE proud to have identified all by myself. Maybe I'm getting better at this.) I'm having some sinus issues, so I do lose the smell quite quickly. I can't tell if it's the same fading scent that other people have talked about, or if it's just my nose. I can tell you that I'm certainly willing to reapply it as often as necessary. This is one of the most beautifully blended florals I've ever encountered. I received this as a gift-decant from Ahania, and I think I owe her another big Thank You!

On the 1-5 scale, this is a 4.5 (Only because of the fading factor.)

well, it's true, it disappears faster then wanted

but still. I LOVE this scent :P it is very much me >>>> Luna :D

soft flowers and honeysuckle which is one of my favorites (as said in my profile)

also the label is very pretty and reminds me of being a ladygirl and happy to wear gorgeous perfumes

like this one!

it is a bit of a sleepy scent, atleast to me it is

and it makes you also feel summerish, like being outside with the butterflys and the birds

and gently falling asleep with the sound of a satisfied owl..

I get a lot of skin musk and faint rose, lilies, and some other weird florals I can't identify. This is pretty, but very light, much lighter than I expected. I think if I had tried this when I first got into BPAL I would have loved it. I *like* it but I don't know if I need a big bottle of it. I'll hang onto my imp, I think.

Oh man, this is GOOD! Immediately applied, it smells JUST like the way a rose smells in a park's rose garden--the same rounded, greeny-wet, gorgeous, delightful, sunny floral. I haven't EVER smelled a rose scent this close to the way a rose smells in real life, in BPAL or elsewhere, and I'm floored. (Because I love roses but rarely rose scents.)

On the drydown, the immediacy of the rose recedes (which makes me a little sad), but there is a lovely honeyed floral sweetness in its place that is equally delightful. What a scent! Honey and roses!

Over time, it becomes quieter, at times flirting with the notion of developing soapiness, but it never actually goes there. There's still a definite honey-rose quality to this, golden, but more floral than sweet as it develops through the day. Its endstage is a barely-there floral aura that is everything a floral should be. (I am not usually able to wear or enjoy florals… this is a first!)

Recaplet: An ultimate golden, honeyed floral.

My rating: 5 of 5 (I LOVE IT!!!)

Color impression: Golden yellow, a yellow rose.

Pretty golden yellow, slightly perfume-y floral with creamy honeysuckle undertone. Nice. I could definitely rock this if I ever felt the whim to go with pretty florals. Makes me think of heavenly summer gardens drenched in golden sunlight with bumblebees and honeysuckle.

Somehow I have built this blend up in my head into THE blend that I will want to wear when it's shower-clean, soft, naked-in-the-sunshine time. Why, I don't know-- I think it's the beautiful tones of the painting, which makes me want to strip of all my clothes and jump into the nearest sunbeam. Anyway, I will be heartbroken if this doesn't work on me, which is utterly irrational considering it's got two killer notes-- rose and mandarin-- and I'm testing it at a bad time (post-chlorine pool and PMSing, which is the double-whammy.) But enough with my lack of internal logic. On to the review!

Bottle: Mmm.... imagine sitting naked in the sunshine drinking fresh-squeezed orange juice and cream and honey with a huge bowl of yellow roses and honeysuckle on the table. It's sharp-floral sweet, a little powdery, very bright and lovely.

Wet: A sweet, light, sunny floral, with a soft background of cream, honeycomb, skin musk and a glorious slightly lemony amber. Reminds me a bit of Bearded Lady, but not nearly as sharp or richly flowery. It's quite faint, but that could just be the chlorine drowning it out... and it does have a lovely tiny touch of throw, enough to draw you closer. I imagine aging would also increase the staying power here, once the amber, musk and rose mature. The rose is kind of soapy but in a clean pretty way, not a stale perfume one.... it's incredibly soft, like touching a white cashmere sweater.

Dry: Very similar to the bottle scent, in the end... a little bit more floral, a little bit sweeter, but still that beautiful skin musk, hints of amber, cream, honey and beautiful sunny florals with the slightest touch of citrus. It is very, very reminiscent of the painting, which is AWESOME (:heart:), and for something so soft it's clinging surprisingly well. I will have to be in exactly the right mood to wear this, but it's perfect for those clean, lazy moments in the sunshine when you just feel... pretty. And I have the feeling it's only going to get better with age! :bunnyluv:

On me this starts out lemony. I know, lemon isn't listed as a note, but it smells very lemony and sharp for the first 10 minutes. As it dries down, the creamy, musky notes come out and what I'm left with is a fragrance that smells like a thick white bar of expensive, high quality soap -- like the kind you'd find in a luxury hotel. It stays soapy for hours before it disappears. It is soapy in the best possible way.