Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Blue Moon 2007

The spirit of the full moon is capricious, intense and passionate, yet still distant, aloof and cold. Luna herself governs glamours, bewitchments and dream-work, innocent wonder, transient pleasure and delight, the Moment, impulse, mystery and veils. The Blue Moon is one of her rarest manifestations, and this scent is formulated to encapsulate her most complex and profound nature:

Mugwort and bay, for psychic sensitivity...
Juniper, for divination through dreams...
Orchid and galbanum, for complexity, wisdom and noscere...

... with a potent lunar-charged blend of exquisite Asian woods, moonflower, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, davana, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, Clary sage, melilot trefoils, wood aloes, and pale creeping buttercup.

Oh...wow. This is just gorgeous.

Very light and ephemeral, I can sense hints of herbs, a wee touch of green tea and cucumber, light green woods...light light light fresh florals...this is just perfect. Mysterious, lush, delightful. I will be getting much much wear from this over the summer months.

Who is the luckiest person in the world?

I am! I am!

My Blue Moon arrived today. The short review is: Yes. It definitely lives up to its reputation as bottled beatitudiniferousness. Neutral Good? Chaotic Good? Lawful Good? No, it's Blue Moon Good.

Blue Moon is mostly floral on me, as was Black Moon. It is warmer, more herbal, it reaches up and gives my nose a tickle while maintaining an undertone of creamy, elegant, sensuous lipstick.

This one is definitely worth a second bottle.

Edited by themerrybaker

..::sigh::..

I was *so* hoping not to love this very much( with the price of the oil and high shipping rates and all ).......like yes....love no.......but alas......

It. Is. Gorgeous! :P

To me it smells like a translucent, light blue floral, but with something woodsy to keep it from drifting into thin air..........

Like I said: Gorgeous! Sadly, I *will* need to pick up another bottle when it returns! :D

Wow, there are just so many notes in Blue Moon. It's very impressive on that scale alone! The notes that are the most prominent on me are the moonflower (yay!), orchid, iris, cucumber, clary sage, wood aloes, and buttercup. But when I pull my wrist away from my nose and smell the air, it smells like what I imagine one beam of blue light falling on a street corner would smell like. It's concentrated. It's bright and uplifting, yet mysterious and portentous.

The moonflower is the note that sticks around the longest on me---hours later it's like moonflowers tussucked in creamy, blued moonlight. But there are all these delicate little crosshatchings in the way it smells, like motes drifting about in light. It's complex and dimensional without smelling like a tumult of notes. There's nothing chaotic about Blue Moon, just serenity and a sense of peace.

So glad I got a bottle. This is the kind of blend I'll save to wear when I go out on a summer night because it will just feel right.

For me Blue Moon is a light woodsy blend. I can't really pick out notes, but I think I can smell the juniper. In the bottle it has the slightly worrying scent of PVA glue, but that completely diasappears on my skin (Yay!). I was worried about the cucumber in this, but really, the only aquatic thing I can smell in here is a sort of cool lightness right at the back.

Basically, Blue Moon combines lots of different ideas into something I think I can wear. It's got the light blue sense of an aquatic, but without the slightly sour turn I always associate with them. It's got the natural sense of dainty florals, but without any soapy overtones. It's got the green of herbs, but without any of the sharpness (Delphi, I'm looking at you). It's got that yellowy slant of Asian woods, but not that one that hates me that's possibly ho wood. And finally, there's just the subtlest hint of incense that reminds of the Snakes, but it's almost hidden amongst everything else.

It's a morpher, this one - I keep on smelling my wrist and getting another aspect. It definitely comes across as a sort of night scent, which is odd, because it seems quite light. But you definitely want to be under the moon somewhere. It fills a gap in my collection completely, though for the sake of it I'd say that a scent it reminds me of is Vinland, even though it's so much different.

Ooh, and the green note reminds me slightly of that one in Meskhenet, though in here it's much, much, much lighter.

oh, this is stunning. It literally makes my heart do a little leap when I smell my wrist.

I'm terrible at reviews, but I can say that it's definitely a cool, blue scent, it feels watery without reminding me of other aquatic blends I've tried. I think it's the cucumber and green tea that give it that feeling. It has a sweetness to it, a sweet floral tone, and sadly I don't know what most of the floral notes in it smell like so I can't say what's what. It's very fresh and clean, without being soapy. This is very, very different from what I usually like, I lean toward the spicy, musky side of things, but I will absolutely wear this during the summer and I'm considering another bottle.

I was eagerly awaiting Blue Moon to see if all of the fuss about previous incarnations was justified.

And I'd have to say, yes.

In the bottle, Blue Moon is almost all crisp juniper. Sadly the bottle is full just barely to the shoulder.

On the skin, cucumber almost immediately comes out, as does orchid and a few other florals I don't recognize.

As Blue Moon fades, it is a light heady floral, slightly piney with a brisk watery note (perhaps this is the cucumbery scent lingering?). This is a very clean scent, perfect for summer.

Blue Moon is very different from my other favorites, but it's lovely and definitely worth 1 if not 2 bottles.

Finally it's here and I'm really really scared to review it but here goes!

Ok first off this is FRESH! Fresh fresh fresh! And very very floral on me. It's like a million blue petals wafting around me. There is a slight watery/aquatic note to it too that makes it very cool on the nose.

I can't really pick out any one thing in particular (sorry :P ), but one of these flowers is sticking right out possibly the buttercup...hmmm.

I get no woods at all.

I must say however....it doesn't blow me away like I thought it was going to, I thought it would be more magical, please don't kill me *hides behind sofa*

But it is very very pleasant and will be gorgeous on a hot day to make you feel all light and fresh!

Overall it's a fresh floral, with a water feel!

ETA: This sometimes goes powdery on me...:D

Edited by ouch!

Okay... I hope I am not the only one with the "Blues" about Blue Moon? I was truly hoping for a resurrected Blue Moon or at least semi-revisited. Yes, Blue Moon 2007 is fresh, lovely... and nowhere near what the original was. Plus, I had to apply it twice within an hour just so it would hold for an hour. A bit expensive when one must use twice as much for 1/4 the length. Perhaps it’s a component availability issue? I seem to recall that the oud (wood aloe) was the rare and expensive ingredient last time, cited when so many of us were clamoring for a resurrection. This time it seems slim on that oh so delicate strawberry leaf/cucumber/buttercup balance as well.

While it’s very pretty, Blue Moon 2007 is not for me. Next time, I’ll look for that magic word “resurrected” to avoid being disappointed by own expectations. :P

Edited by wichapi

*le sigh*

I was so sure I would love this based on the notes, I was trying to ignore Florentine Iris, but wouldn't you know it, it's the strongest note I get (I believe my skin amps the ol' iris.....).

So, all in all, this is a very pretty blend, obviously put together with great care, but it's too sweet for me, and I get that strong damned sneezy iris that ruins everything for me :P

oh how I envy those of you that can wear this......

Okay. I busted out my little half imp of the original Blue Moon to help write the review for the 2007 version.

wet on skin: Original Blue Moon smells sweeter, colder, cleaner. Like Buck moon. Blue Moon 2007 has an almost astringent herbalness to it, initially. More Asian inspired. It also kind of smells like pot.

drying: original Blue Moon, when dry, has a sweet Ice Queen/Skadi sort of scent. Blue Moon 2007 is getting much sweeter, still herbally and still very pot-like. Like an extremely sweet pot smoke. But the initial harsh herbal smell has faded to something very light and sweet.

dry: its gotten spicy. It is still sweet but not as much.

I probably should not have compared the old version to the new version side by side, for I can't help but be disappointed. I don't know if Beth meant to recreate Blue Moon so drastically, but based on some of the reviews here I was kind of expecting it to smell at least sort of like the original.

I like some Asian notes (like in Holiday Moon) but sometimes they tend to go sour on me and turn into Lemon Pledge.

I'll have to test it again without the original next to it. I really hope I can appreciate this scent.

Edited by ancilla

BLUE MOON 2007

In Bottle: Fresh clean floral

On Skin: This is so pretty. It defines blue perfectly. The tone is a brilliant light blue, I feel aquatic, fresh, clean and bright. The notes are very well blended and the scent is very smooth. The florals stand out the most. It’s not as cucumbery as the original version, but it is still gorgeous. There is a herbal feel from the sage, a soft almost creamy feel from the aloe, and just a little bitterness from the cucumber. The buttercup is so pretty, the florals in this take after it, dainty and soft. It feels like summer, warm yet fresh… a great scent that is quite feminine in nature. The moonflower also gives a slightly nightlike feel, yet it is still bright and warm. The main difference between this and the original is the original felt more icy and cold in tone, where as this one is more warm and summery. While I still love the original version better, the 07 verison is also quite pretty. I will be wearing it for sure. Medium to strong throw, medium/average wearlength.

While I love this one on it's own, I also like to layer it with Squirting Cucumber and Yemaya and then it smells very similar to Blue Moon 04. :P

Edited by slave1

In Bottle: Sweet and lightly floral.

Wet: This is gorgeous. It's sweet and aquatic. I can definitely pick out the iris, ylang-ylang, moonflower, and what I assume is wood aloe. It smells clean and sweet and despite the fact that ylang-ylang is usually eye-watering strong on me, it plays nicely here. Weirdly enough, despite the florals, it doesn't strike me as a strictly floral scent. It's definitely more of a clean scent.

Dry: It's aloe, tea, moonflower, and something kind of spicy. It dries close to the skin, but it's just gorgeous. Wow. I'm definitely picking up another bottle when it rises again.

Like a few other reviewers, I really liked the original Blue Moon, so I had high hopes for this version. It's... not quite what I was expecting. I loved the clear bright aspect to the original, and that seems to be missing here. This one is mostly herbal. It's not sharp herbs, but it's very green.

Although it's not my kind of scent to wear as perfume, I will say that it smells unique. I don't think I've ever smelled anything quite like this before. It almost seems like a watery herbal scent. Hard to imagine? Yes. Hard to describe, too. When it's dry it seems more floral than herbal, and I like it better. (Moonflower is one of the few floral scents I like.) Still not really my kind of scent, though.

Last night I finally did something I never even allowed myself to fantasize about before, lest I go mad from frustration and avarice.

I grabbed a bottle of Blue Moon, wrenched off the cap, and schmeared it all over myself.

I feel reckless, like someone who lives beyond her means and is about to face a reckoning. What kind of fool slathers Blue Moon? You might as well use crushed Beluga caviar as a facial moisturizer.

But while the bottle is still new, and before it vanishes forever from the web site, I feel like a spoiled princess who doesn't know the value of a dollar and never heard the words "You can't have anymore."

Who cares about the scarcity of silk or palace intrigue or how I'm going to persuade my father to let me marry that dashing prince I danced with at the ball when every cue from my nose suggests I'm floating on my back in cool, blue water. There are flowers in the distance, gathered at the edges of the natural pool I'm floating in. They've got white blossoms and tangy nectar, like the ones I also smelled when I was under the spells of White Moon and Kindly Moon last year. Overhead, cypress and juniper branches are shading the pool and dipping their branches like fingers into the water. And I think I must have eaten cucumbers at tea time - warm ones that had been ripening in the sun up until the moment Cook sliced them and served then in finger sandwiches with a steaming pot of green tea.

And as I float on my back in the cool, blue water, shaded by trees bowing their branches to me from the edge of the pool, my nose tickled by the white blossoms, I suddenly think of all the poor girls around the world who are only pretending to be me, and will soon snap back to attention in their classrooms or look up from the dishes in the sink when their mothers call, and disappear. While I keep floating in my cool, blue water, the taste of cucumbers forever on my tongue.

In the bottle, Blue Moon is flowers and herbs, with bay the strongest note. Mmm... Wet, it's straight floral and pure gorgeousness. As it dries, the woods start to peek through.

Overall, this has to be one of the best BPAL scents I've tried yet! Bravo, Beth!

In the bottle:

The asian woods and green tea really come out in the bottle. This smells a lot like Dragon Moon to me - slightly floral and refreshing

On me:

I think it's fair to say that I purchased Blue Moon based on the love and hype of the original and the fact that Blue Moon's don't exactly come around all that often. After reading the description, I wasn't terribly drawn to it, but bought it anyways. So, I think that it's also fair to say that I went into this knowing that I probably wouldn't love,love,love this. You can take my review of this oil with that in mind (because I think those who were truly excited about the notes have a better chance of loving this oil than those of us who weren't).

When this first goes on, I get a fairly floral impression of this oil - it's not quite as strong as something with rose in it or the like, but it doesn't come off as a fruity-floral or a woodsy-floral either. Just a floral. The florals are airy and spring like - the predominant one is iris with juniper. It's crisp - no, it's sharp.

Behind that is a green tea note which makes me think again of Dragon Moon. I find them to be very similar but Dragon Moon is lighter and a bit sweeter on me than Blue Moon is. Blue Moon has the same sort of vibe that most of the Asian Moons had.

And I don't find that this makes me think "blue" as much as it makes me think "pink" - probably because this floral smells very much like a lot of Spring florals - sharp but airy, distinct with a slight sweetness, but definitely lighter than florals like rose, gardenia, lily, etc. Despite a somewhat aquatic background - which is present but not enough to qualify this scent as an aquatic I believe.

Final note:

I am glad that so many people really dig this one, but I just don't find the appeal in it for *myself*. It smells very similar to my Asian Moons and it's just too floral for me to wear. It is pleasant though and I certainly don't dislike it - I just know already that it isn't one that I'd reach for very often, if at all. It's an oil that makes me say, "Hmm that's not bad" - but not, "Oh I love this!".

Yep. Definitely an awesome blend. I get a little bit of everything out of this, the top notes being the most floral - with moonflower and orchid standing out the most. Below that is a wispy blend of green tea, cucumber, soft herbs, a touch of powdery fruit. It's sweet, and light, and floral and for me, it really fits the whole notion of a "lunacy oil" (which isn't something that happens too often with my chemistry.)

It's nicely rounded, and while it has absolutely none of my favourite notes, it's blossoming into something sweet and soft and wonderful, and I do very much like it.

4/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurve

I'm not really getting a common scent from this vs. the first blend. They smell like totally different perfumes. Which is fine, but I expected some commonality from so many repeat ingredients. It makes me wonder what the original Blue Moon smelled like brand new... perhaps different than it does now? Anyway, judging this on it's own merits, it's a really interesting scent. Light, airy, and very soft. It doesn't seem blue to me, really. More green. It isn't woody... it isn't floral... it isn't aquatic. I'm having a really tough time nailing down any particular notes. It just smells faintly sweet/green to me. It is of short duration and very light throw. I'll update this if I can add anything more useful but frankly I'm just kind of stuck going "um, nice?"

4 out of 5.

Some back story I got while chatting with Beth about this years's Blue Moon. I was shocked to know that the lab is only making .75 cents off this years Blue Moon. b/c Beth wanted to do something special for us to commemorate the Blue Moon, she used more expensive grade of ingrediants, specifically the "oud" ingrediant in this year's Blue Moon was something she had been saving for such an occassion.

Beth, I hope I got that right and hope you don't mind me sharing this with other's. I know it just made me love you and this smellie even more! :P

Blue Moon on me is so smooth and well blended. I agree with Medici's review the most: exotic florals, with wafts of watery cucumber, herbal (not acrid) green tea, a powdery sweetness which is anchored down by a spicy accord, that I will say maybe is the Asian woods? It has depth, esp. in the drydown, and I am intrigued on how this will age. I don't know what the original smelled like, but I love this year's version.. a lot. I nabbed a back up bottle at C13. It really is hard to pin down all the notes I'm smelling, but it is mysterious and just so lovely...sigh...

5/5

Edited by growwild

So I finally received my bottle of the famous and coveted Blue Moon today and am wearing it for the very first time as we speak. I must say that I honestly expected to love this the minute I first read the list of notes in the description, so it doesn't surprise me that I really do love it now that I have a chance to actually wear it instead of just covet it from afar. It smells a lot like what I was expecting as well, having drawn on my experiences with other BPAL lunacies and also these particular notes in other blends.

Blue Moon as I perceive it can best be described as a light floral with a slightly aquatic feel to it as far as category goes. This is quite complex, as well as flawlessly blended, so I really can't pick out one note from any of the others with any certainty. Mostly what comes to mind when I try to analyze this is an overall feel. Some of the reviewers upthread mentioned that this smells "peaceful" and "serene". I'd definitely call those descriptions well put, because that's exactly how this feels to me. It reminds me of walking at night in a state of complete and utter contentment without a care in the world through some impossibly beautiful natural area... probably one that has a lake or a river nearby. I love that feeling... that complete and total calm that comes around... well... once in a blue moon :D and this blend really encapsulates that for me. I can tell already that this is going to be one of my go-to blends for when I want to relax, unwind, and try to let go of my troubles and my stresses.

Overall, Blue Moon falls into the same mental category for me as White Moon, Asphodel, and some of the other wistful light florals that I so dearly love... especially for this time of year. It's light with medium throw and wear length the way those are, and it actually smells similar as well... at least as far as they smell on me combined with my skin chemistry. It's delightful and most definitely a welcome addition to my BPAL collection. Worth every penny. :P

This is, as I expected, a very watery cool floral. I can really smell aloe and cucumber in this mixed with the floral notes. This is definitely in a similar family to Black Moon, but is much less sweet and a bit more herbal. I do not get any soapiness from the florals- everything stays true from wet to dry on my skin. This is definitely an ethereal scent that is very appropriate for the occasion. I love it and will cherish my bottle. :P

Blue Moon does smell really good to me, however....it's not what I was expecting, only because of a skin chemistry issue I think. Something in here smells like a very soapy, sharp floral, and it's kind of drowning out the other notes. Maybe it's iris that I'm smelling. I can't believe I can't smell juniper at all! Or cucumber, or a few of the other notes. But what I do smell is a sharp and rather soapy scent, but still fantastic. There is some complexity lurking behind the soapiness, mostly just a hint of woods. Medium to light throw.

I feel like I really don't want to give up on this, I can't imagine swapping it away, at least not right away.

Edit: I have to say that in the few weeks that I've had this, the soapy/sharpness has settled down quite a bit, and I'm much happier with Blue Moon now. I'm really glad I held onto it to try again. It's cool and refreshing, light, a great companion to Red Moon. My only complaint is it doesn't have a lot of lasting power, but I still like it.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Blue Moon 2007 - The original Blue Moon smells like fish to me, so I'm delighted that the revisited version is not the same. It's definitely got some qualities that are in the same vein as the Asian lunar blends, but it's different than them, too. It's a clear, cool, floral-sweet blend that's grounded by a touch of woodiness. It's not aquatic in the least, yet it's slightly watery. It's not herbal, yet it's full of clean, green, fresh-plant goodness. I wish I could describe this blend accurately, but it's just not possible. It's beautiful, feminine, soft, light, ethereal, and has an almost haunted quality about it. I really love it. I mean, I really, really, really love it. I love it enough that I'm going to have to buy another bottle when it's available again. *sigh* My poor pocketbook.