Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Blue Moon 2007

... Mugwort and bay, for psychic sensitivity... Juniper, for divination through dreams... Orchid and galbanum, for complexity, wisdom and noscere... with a potent lunar-charged blend of exquisite Asian woods, moonflower, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, davana, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, Clary sage, melilot trefoils, wood aloes, and pale creeping buttercup.

At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I liked the original Blue Moon (of which I have and make use of a few decants), but the 2007 version is a Love! For me.

2004’s version is very sweet (cucumber as melon is the dominant note on my skin) and a little minty, very aquatic and potentially magical, but also verging on Meh with my chemistry. I tend to think of it as ritual oil rather than something I reach for when I just want to smell nice. The 2007 version has more “zing” with my chemistry, a little less sweet and a little more astringent, which I usually like. I think it may partly be the juniper and cypress that are adding the astringency, and I love Beth’s cypress note. It still smells chock full of magical potential, but it also smells more like a perfume I would wear on any given day, and I have worn it a lot since I got it.

In any case, it doesn’t do a lot of morphing on me, and it’s so well blended I really can’t pick out individual notes; or perhaps I’m just not inclined to try, because I love the overall effect of something coolly greeny-blue, faintly sweet without being cloying, a little astringent without being acidic, and with enough complexity and depth that I enjoy catching wafts of it throughout the day and reacquainting myself with how I am smelling.

It doesn’t have a lot of throw, so it’s office safe, and the wear length on me is a few hours – maybe three or four before I feel like I want to reapply, which is fairly typical of perfumes, with my chemistry. It has joined Undertow and Selkie in my aquatic and comforting scents of choice group. :P

ETA to add Lab description for start of new page. Edited by Shollin

Blue Moon is just like White Moon on me. I really don't smell much difference. You can read my review of White Moon below.

White Moon

"...lilac, calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, moonflower, night musk, phlox, and violet."

White Moon is instalove for me. In the beginning, it was completely lilac and wisteria. Overpoweringly so, actually. Not that having those two notes dominate bother me.

However, the lilac and wisteria didn't stay at the top. The musk deepens the floral mixture and lily and violet come out to say hi. I see light purple and shades of gray like one could see at sunset when I smell White Moon.

This perfume is charming and enchanting. Never grandma and never powdery. I would say this a very womanly perfume and not for someone who is worried about offending others with her floralness.

I can imediately smell the ylang ylang, clary sage, and buttercup! These blend so well together! This is floral, but sweet, and a TINY bit foody too! On my skin it is a little warmer and the buttercup smell comes out a little more. Yummy!!! I will soon be searching for a bottle of this!

Wow! My initial impression when wet was "Where to start?" There are so many scents blended together - so complex. Upon drying the first scent to make itself known was the cucumber. That's a good thing. I like the cucumber. Upon drying, the green tea became most predominant. In a sophisticated way. The scent softened and became a lovely floral with wisps of green tea and a definite feeling of "blue". I was skeptical of this one because of my hate-hate relationship with clary sage that seems to turn me green but this was a lovely blend. I would surely pick up more if given the opportunity.

This is a beautiful oil. I’ve sniffed the original and I’ve got a bottle of this one and while it’s different, I like it just as much, if not more. On the skin, this is a soft and gorgeous floral scent. I can smell the moonflower but beyond that, I really can’t say. The cucumber isn’t especially strong to me, which is good, because unless it’s sweetened considerably I think it can go soapy on me. There’s a sweetness to this scent which I’m attributing to the orchid, but whatever it is, it’s not sweet enough to be overbearing or piercing. Kindly Moon has a texture to it, and I find the same is true for this oil – it has a velvety, tactile aspect to it. Despite that, it has an airy, ethereal feel to it, not earthbound in the least. It makes me think of clear skies, dark nights, moonlit water (pond or lake, not the ocean) in a field of wildflowers. It’s a silvery shimmering scent and I love it. It’s a wonderful tribute to the Blue Moon and I’m so glad that I’ve got a bottle of this.

This one sounded so intriguingly complex that I had to get a decant despite the fact that (1) it contains a lot of florals, which my skin usually amps to frightening extents, and (2) in particular, it contains ylang ylang, which is pretty much my scent nemesis. I used to think that no scent with ylang ylang in it could ever be anything but Screaming Floral Death on my skin, but I have since found a wee few exceptions, so I occasionally do venture to try such things.

However, in this case, I dabbed it on, rubbed my wrists together a bit to warm it and blend it into my skin, took a sniff, and... *sigh* Screaming Floral Death! The ylang ylang, accompanied by a few other high sweet florals, stomps everything else into submission. No woods, no bay, tea, no cypress, no clary sage. Just HI WE ARE A BUNCH OF EXTREMELY SWEET FLORALS WHO ARE NOW GOING TO TRY TO KILL YOU.

Oh well. I should know by now that Lunacies that work on me are few and far between, and trying something that was both a Lunacy AND contained ylang ylang was just asking for trouble.

Grade: D

Blue Moon 2007 (greenish yellow oil)

Imp: A smooth floral

Skin: Its a smooth, elegant, complex blend. Its blended so well! All of the notes meld together beautifully. The scent stayed quite stable, did not morph much. The throw is just right: someone sitting opposite you by a cafe table won't be able to smell it, but someone sitting next to you would.

It does smell somewhat blue too; like a pale lavender blue. I liked how the sweetness was subtle.

A very feminine, medium weight floral. Its too round and mellow to be me, but I love it all the same. Floral lovers must try.

Wow. What interesting reviews this got. Considering how many bottles I've seen for sale since it came out, and not moving, I'm surprised to see its great reviews.

This IS a very beautiful scent, and ditto what everyone else said, but not as sweet or perfect as '04. Wah! I have SOOOOOO too little of 04. Still, as picky as I am, and as anti-floral, and as mild as this is, I DO own a bottle.

I could review it but it would be a lot of duplication. So I'll just say in conclusion, my little boy says it smells like snow and my daughter says it smells like glitter. Obviously, glitter doesn't have a scent, so imagine a cold, sweet, slightly ozone-like scent that is bursting with personality. :P I loved that...snow and glitter. Really, the only reason I reviewed this.

Edited by djnevermore

I got this in the mail last night, and woke up wondering why I had that song stuck in my head?!? (Blue mooooon, I saw you standing alooooone...) :D

Oh my, this is a beautiful scent! I can hardly tell the notes from each other, but the cucumber does leap out at me, along with the clary sage and ylang ylang! This is utterly feminine (as a lunar blend should be) and very peaceful! A lovely spring or summer scent. So complex and mysterious! But then of course I'm going to love it - coming from a girl named Luna! ;) Gorgeous, absolutely divine! :P

More, please! :D

ETA: this is now on my top ten LE list!! :)

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

This was exactly what I imagined a Blue Moon scent would smell like. It's cool yet soft, and aquatic yet silky....like a wispy scarf grazing a lazy brook in the night breeze.

It's so pretty! I should have bought it when it was new, but no worry, I found it on the forum! A keeper.

Edit to add: A lovely Rainy Day scent. Makes me feel more one with the weather, rather than feeling gloomy and bored. I feel like celbrating the rain when I wear Blue Moon!

Edited by AEris

I didn't order this because I didn't like the original Blue Moon (04?), as heretical as that sounds. but then I got to waffling....what if I was missing something really good? Still didn't get it. And finally recently got a decant.

And this is much more like what I wanted a blue moon scent to be: soft, silvery blue, a bit mysterious and intoxicating. It is a heavy floral (so in the end not my thing) but it is pretty. What I get mostly is ylang ylang and iris (since I'm not sure I could identify orchid), and it is as heady as moonflowers or any sweet night blooming flower. It is definately a summer night, not a winter night.

The orginal was heavy cucumber which is why I didn't like it. This doesn't have that, and actually is not acquatic at all to my nose. Again, why I DO like this one.

But not enough to keep my imp, I'm afraid.

Gah....I was expecting this. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of my bottle of BM04...

BM 07 is indeed "blue" and "silvery" smelling. It's also very different from the original. BM is aquatic, cool, and floral. The original smelled like rippling water (NOT "aquatic"...I mean like *actual water*) with crisp cucumber and touches of mint.

But more than anything, the original Blue Moon had a magical, ethereal fae quality that the new edition simply doesn't have. BM 07 smells nice, but it really isn't the same at all.

in the bottle: cucumber and melon. but not the perfume kind, the ACTUAL fruit kind- it smells like the garden in my back yard when i was growing up. this is one of those 'how DOES she do it?!' moments. :D

wet on skin: the cucumber comes out to the front, and there's a beautiful, gentle aroma of wild honeysuckle behind it all. :P

dry down: it loses the cucumber somewhat and becomes more of a floral. still lovely, though.

in all: light, fresh and lovely. like early summer, when everything is soft green and the fruit isn't quite ripe yet.

Imp: Icy flowers. Reminds me of when one of my friends was working in a flower shop and we'd go in the refrigerated flower rooms to get an order. Must be the cucumber that makes it seem cooler

Wet: Floral, but still getting that cold note. Maybe some aloe?

Drydown: goes a bit soapy on me, as florals tend to do.

Expectations: I'm hesitant to even test this, as the mass of florals will probably give me a headache (beyond the one I'm already starting to get), and massive "yuck" to the sage. But I just want to get it over with and hope for the best.

In vial: Yep, that's the "lots-of-florals commercial perfume scent".

On skin, wet: Ylang ylang, jupiter, and sage.

On skin, dry: This is another one that reminds me of the scented toilet paper holders. It's not completely offensive at a distance, but up close it gets a huge thumbs down.

After time: So not bothering with this one.

Conclusion: Florals don't like me. Or rather, complicated florals don't like me. There are lots of single notes or combinations of 2 or 3 notes that I think smell perfectly fine, but more than that and it's just a disgusting mess.

I'm assuming I have the 2007 version - until I came to post this review, I didn't know there was a 2004 version! My decant isn't labeled with a year.

In the imp, it's all light florals, backed by green tea and cucumber.

On, it's more herbal - the florals are still there, but the sage, bay, and juniper have come out - lightly, but they're there.

When it dries, clean and herbal - really lovely.

Bottle: As seems to be the case with all the lunacies, this is so well blended I can't pick out any individual notes. It gives an overall impression of a summer night at a lake in the woods. There's a smooth, watery scent and the florals sort of waft over it.

Wet: Another common antic the lunacies love to get up to on my skin is all but disappearing the second I put them on.

Dry: But then they develop and Blue Moon is no exception. This becomes a warmer, skin-scented version of the bottle scent. It's really light, fresh and floral although there is a smooth herbal undercurrent. The moonflowers are remarkably strong, not dominating the scent, but definitely making themselves known.

Throw: A few inches from the skin. This is very personal and quiet. A still scent, if that makes sense.

Overall: I really like this. This was one of the first BPALs I ever ordered and it arrived in such a fanfare of other scents that I never really got around to smelling it. It's a really lovely, calm, soft scent and I might muster up the courage to wear it to bed and hope for delectable prophetic dreams. For daytime wear it's a beautiful warm weather scent and a very calm, elegant and feminine scent to douse myself in. I don't know if it's necessarily my favourite lunacy, but I can see it getting a heavy rotation in the next few months.

In the bottle: Light, sweet but not cloying, floral, green, fresh. Mmm. This must be the best in-bottle BPAL so far. The floral notes are somewhat traditionally perfume-y but nice and light. The greenness is not that strong considering all the greenery in this oil.

Wet: Sweeter, more floral. Barest hint of musk. Not as fresh or green, but still delicious. It may be too sweet for me - it's on the verge - but it is a very good type of sweet. Not foody, not even fruity. I'd love to know the source of the sweetness.

Dry: Sweetness has faded alot, exposing more floral. There is still some of the freshness, surprisingly. It's lasting quite well, considering how light it is in the bottle. Barest hint of soap lends a nice clean scent.

Summary: Orchid, davana, green tea, cucumber, aloe, herbs and woods. It's a blend that is green and light, yet cool and soothing, with some heady floral notes and woody depth. Wonderfully complex and balanced; sexy, feminine, and nocturnal. Good throw and great lasting power.

I have 2 bottles of this. :P

Mmm, I am so pleased to have some of this! Tonight before going out to dinner with friends, I bathed with a Blue Moon bath bomb from Fantasy Bath (a fruity/woody/floral bomb) then layered BPAL Blue Moon, and it was absolutely perfect as a "going out on a summer night" scent. My skin amped the lovely florals, especially the moonflower which is a favorite note of mine. Overall, on me Blue Moon is a light, airy floral that isn't too sweet and not the least bit cloying, just very fresh like a garden on a warm night. Delightful, delicate, and feminine.

A lovely floral, heady and clean, when first applied. Unfortunately that stages only lasts for about half an hour and the dry down is soapy on my skin.

Cucumber, melon, slightly aquatic, love this! I also have Blue Moon 2004 and I love that also but it has a bit of mint in it that isn't my favorite, so like a few others, I have to go with this version first, and the old one second which isn't to say they aren't both lovely and I will keep and use both...I just use the newer more often than the older;)

In the store, this smelled lovely. After a shower, freshly applied it smelled a bit grandmother-esque, but floral and light with something curious going on underneath. Alas, that rapidly became an industrial soap/hotel shampoo.

I walked into the living room and sat down, and husband said "WHAT IS THAT SMELL?" I guess I will be selling/trading this one. At least it seems to be a quick fade.

Another one I got from a private seller. If you could bottle a Pisces, this is it...minus the booze..and drama...and avoidance behavior. This is the spiritual and mysteriously all-knowing part of the fish.

it smells very much like orchid on my skin. TONs of orchid and cucumber. but then again, this perfume is difficult to discern which note is the most pronounced. its a very feminine floral and definately one i'll wear.

glad i purchased a bottle!

In the vial: Orchid

Wet: Green orchid

Dry: Soapy, sweet orchid

Overall: Not for me.