Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Blue Moon 2007

... Mugwort and bay, for psychic sensitivity... Juniper, for divination through dreams... Orchid and galbanum, for complexity, wisdom and noscere... with a potent lunar-charged blend of exquisite Asian woods, moonflower, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, davana, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, Clary sage, melilot trefoils, wood aloes, and pale creeping buttercup.

I was intimidated by the complexity of the blend and didn't order a bottle, opting for a decant. Kinda glad I did now, because I find this scent to be candy-like in the imp. Smells better on the skin, but nothing to write home about- a highly sweet floral. Wait it's changing...is that? Yes it's a summer evening with the haze and the flowers and the sunset. Just more water weighing down the florals I guess. I'm crying like Paris Hilton in handcuffs- this is really good. Well, I have my imp.

Edited to add lab description Edited by Shollin

Wet: Wet, fresh, cucumber and aloe.

First on: Slightly woody, but mostly aquatic and watery. Lots of aloe, or at least my skin amps it. A tiny floral hint. This is pretty well-blended, I can't pick out many of the individual notes.

Dry: I have never tried the original Blue Moon so I had no expectations on this one. I have to say it's a gorgeous aquatic scent, and that's saying quite a bit as I normally don't care much for aquatics. It's anchored down by some beautiful, ethereal woods. It's a bit herbal, cold, dreamy.

Sniff...I don't think this works for me :P

It smells quite a bit different than the 1st release.

Blue Moon is very very faint initially on. There's not much there at first but it smells like watered down juniper and aloe. I don't get much cucumber from this.

After about 10 mins I get a sour cat pee note I get from some scents. It smells just rancid on me...just as the other notes were starting to come out. Sans the bad note I think this would be nice, but sadly my chemistry doesn't like part of this blend.

Edited by Rheliwen

Very aquatic with a little bit of cucumber thrown in.

It’s juicy and clean but also extremely herbal and herbal doesn’t always like me. the herbal calms down a tiny bit after awhile but it isn’t exactly me.

Rating: 2.5/5

Edited by Lunaratu

In the bottle this reminds me of the TAL White Light. Just a bit. It's a "magical oil" scent.

On... it's herbal and green, but at the same time sweetened, "round" and smooth smelling. Wow.. it's so hard to pin it down. Like a moonbeam.

In the initial stages, the general impression is clean, light, watery.

I don't know if I distinctly smell "cucumber!!" but it has that cucumbery quality.

It is stronger than I thought it would be having read the reviews. Not that I think it will waft around me like crazy, but it definately has presence.

Dry this retains the above qualities, but develops a certain edge, a deeper woodiness.

I feel like my review is completely inadequate, but what can I say?

This is the legendary Blue Moon, this is watery yet woody, light and sweet, green and pale, and always magical.

Very happy with my bottle :P

In bottle: clean & aquatic

On skin: sparkly light floral

Half-hour later: a bit sweeter with tea and cucumber, but still lots of clean white florals

In conclusion: I have a sniffie of the original Blue Moon, which to me was a much stronger "perfumed cucumber" that was unique and refreshing. Testing side by side, this newer incarnation seems to disappear fairly quickly while the original is still going strong. If I had to choose between the two I would opt for the original, but I'm very pleased that this reappeared and I got to try it.

Out of the bottle, wet on my skin this is a light floral aquatic with a cucumber/melon note that I love. As it dries it becomes a very light, but sophisticated perfume. It is quite complex and not something that I would have chosen based on a sniff of the bottle but I'm really liking it on. It makes me feel all grown up and pretty.

Blue Moon 07

In the bottle: herbal bay, cool juniper, green galbanum, cucumber and a pale white dewy floral note.

Wet on skin: juniper, bay, moonflower and cucumber. Very cool and clear.

Dry on skin: oh, this is very pretty! I can't actually remember exactly what the original was like but I think it definitely had the same feel as this. The juniper is strong without smelling too pine-y or masculine. I can smell the cypress, the bay, sage and mugwort add a soft herbal feel, the galbanum and palmarosa add a spike of greenness, the cucumber is as cool as it usually is, and the floral notes of moonflower, orchid, ylang and iris are graceful, delicate, and pale. This, like the original, is a cool scent of the night, like what I'd expect moonlight reflected on water to smell like if that had a fragrance. It feels a lot more luminous than Black Moon, this is definitely a scent of silvery-white moonlight and indigo blue night skies.

After a while: the floral notes seem to merge as the strong herbs and juniper fade, and now I can smell a pale scent reminiscent of the Asian moons, or of bamboo. Maybe those are the Asian woods? I still smell the moonflower, that crisp and bright floral, and also some cool aloe mixing with the cucumber. It's a bit faint but not too much, airy and light, but also a bit watery, dewy. The word 'ethereal' pretty much sums this scent up.

The scent becomes a bit more floral, still with that zen-like scent of Asian woods and tea, there's something almost like Holiday Moon to this, though the fragile notes of iris and moonflower really do give this an Evening Star feel. ES is a favourite of mine, so the fact that I get a similarity here makes me happy. There's an almost reedy, dusty dryness that appears, almost powdery but not quite because the moist notes prevent this from smelling too dry or powdered. But it does feel very lunar to me, moon dust and dryness and all that…it is alluring and silvery and aloof.

Verdict: this is a beautiful lunar scent-the ultimate moon scent. Mysterious, light, cool, pale and magical. I can't remember much about the first Blue Moon scent but I do think they are similar-there's that same ethereal, slightly wet, silver-blue and glowing feel to it. At first the scent is incredibly complex and spellbinding with warm herbs and woods really showing off along with the white moonlit blooms and wet cucumber. These herbal notes fade away after a bit and the scent becomes a serene and luminous fragrance of Asian woods and delicate flowers. I'm reminded of the Evening Star which is a very good thing, although this isn't purely floral like that blend, the soft woodsy notes and the cucumber add a different dimension. all in all this is a scent of the night, slightly chilly but not icy, dewy and calm, radiant and enchanting. The scent does become quite faint after some time but doesn't fade too fast, I like the gentleness of this scent and it's intriguing complexity. It's the perfect opposite to Black Moon which it shares similarities with, but this one is brighter and airier. I'm glad I have two bottles of this, it is the perfect full moon scent.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes! This is a beautiful tribute to the Blue Moon.

If you like this, try: Midnight, Black Moon, Holiday Moon, Squirting Cucumber, Nuit, Evening Star

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Origin - straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts - I bought a half-imp from a certain person who I later discovered to be a professional reseller. But the scent itself was gorgeous; I'm a bit sorry that Beth tinkered with it when she brought it back for this year's Blue Moon, and decided against it when it was first available. Second time around, I had the funds and bit.

In the Bottle: Dew-drenched and cool florals. Aquatic but not overpoweringly so.

Wet: Strongly floral with just a hint of the aquatics. Recognizable notes wink at me from the mix: a bit of juniper here, cucumber there, woodsy note over there.

Drydown: The sweet of the florals fades somewhat, leaving a silvery-cool combination of aquatic, woods, and floral that meshes very well. It captures the Blue Moon concept beautifully. To me this is more complex than the original Blue Moon, with more layers and depth...as if one is walking through a moonlit forest rather than a moonlit manicured garden.

Verdict: Keeper. I'm glad I caved and snagged a bottle.

Edited by puck_nc

I expected Blue Moon to be good, but this is amazingly beautiful! I don't normally get along that well with florals, but it's a pretty and complex scent. After a half hour it hasn't changed too much or faded. Poor Snow White and Snake Oil will have to move down from their thrones and make room for their new sister, Blue Moon. My only regret is that I only ordered one.

A dreamy, watery floral...that insists on beating me over the head with a cucumber. Hmmmph.

It's lovely, but in both overall scent and staying power, the original has this one beat. (Why, oh why, did I give up my bottle? :headpalm:)

This is soft, sweet and feminine. It's a mish mosh of perfumey florals, with a bit of woodsy, cumcumber, herbal undertone. This smells primarily like iris and orchid on me, but it's a very powdery floral. (My skin makes a lot of florals go powdery) This has light throw on me.

This is very innocent and subdued smelling; very lovely, but it's really not quite my thing. I'm sure this would be just beautiful on the right person.

Blue Moon 2007 is in fact a beautiful, sweet floral. The many notes blend together into a breathy, dewey mist.. I keep thinking 'honeysuckle,' and by turns I get a blue-white-pure sunlit golden color association from this scent. It's refreshing, not at all heavy, but also substantial enough to stick around for several hours.

And yet... I don't think Blue Moon is my scent. I like it, but I don't see myself as a floral person; I gravitate more towards scents of comestibles. I may decant a bit out to make a spray and then send the rest of the bottle off to a more loving home. This scent deserves to be appreciated to the full.

I didn't order a full bottle of Blue Moon because I had NO idea how it would be on me. Too many unknowns, and I find I don't do as well with 'blue' scents at a commercial perfume level.

How wrong I was not to order a bottle of this. I will be hoarding my decant for special occasions. This is simply lovely. I get mostly aloe and iris, and something sweet and watery. I'm not sure what it is. It doesn't have a lot of throw, but that's okay, because this is one that feels like it should be close to me, and shared with those I let into my inner sanctum. It's light, ethereal and dreamy, and simply lovely. I may have to try and track down a bottle of this, because it's absolutely stunning.

Wet, this starts out as a soft, quiet floral. It is so pretty, and I'm not a huge floral lover.

After it dries, the woods emerge, but quietly--overlaying the florals. I really can't pick out any single note, it is so seamlessly and perfectly blended.

After about an hour (for me) an incense note emerges, unlike any other I've experienced. It smells like church incense, but in an empty, silent church on the morning after an evening Mass.

I am in love with this, which totally surprises me since I didn't expect to be at all.

A beautiful work of art--thank you, Beth.

Edited by Gale

Is there such a thing as woodsy aquatic cucumber? That's how it is in the wet/drydown stage. It's utterly lovely, but wow, is this gentle and different. It's like a misty ghost in the woodlands.

Wet, it's very aquatic, vaguely floral but with a cucumber note. Drying down, it gets a slight woodsy note that blends nicely into the existing aquatics, and both provide a backing that keep the floral from being more than a hinting of flowers by moonlight. On me, the floral is mostly iris, giving it a dreamy feel. It's subtle and mysterious, but has tremendous lasting power on my skin. It's refined and close to my skin, but still quite strong after 6 hours or so.

Note: Blue Moon and Cancer seem to be first cousins. I've got Blue Moon on my left hand, and Cancer on my right, and Cancer is very similar, but with a sharp salty note and a stronger floral note added. Blue Moon is dreamy, Cancer is focused. I can't decide which I like better. They're both gorgeous scents.

This is a scent that I've been waiting to own forever. I do have a sniffie of Blue Moon 2004

In the bottle: Wet, green, sharp, very complex

On Skin: Really complex again. I get a 'lunar' feeling amongst the swirls of something lightly floral, a whiff of something woody, a whiff of an aquatic. In general though, it's a lightly herbal tinged floral with an aquatic, airy tone to it. And I truly suck at picking any distinctive note on this. And yes, I do think there is a slight asian feel to it and perhaps my mind is incorrectly correlating it to the oude, but I think that might be it. And yes, I do smell a certain similarity to the Evening Star, and I think that's the moonflower note.

On Drydown: A fragrant clear floral

Verdict: Really, this is nothing like I've ever smelled before. When I put it on and made my husband sniff it even HE said that you can just SMELL the complexity and that was mindblowing to him, like how all these smells were packaged into this teensy wheensy little bottle (at what he thinks is a bargain price). It doesn't smell anything like Blue Moon 2004, in which the cucumber and mint were very prominent on my skin and that was a clean aquatic in comparison to this complex floral scent. But I have to say that I'm not disappointed in the least because I really do love this incarnation as well.

The husband and I went shopping today and as we walked by a department perfume counter a sales lady asked me if I wanted to try some perfume on. I shook my head and kept walking. I looked at my husband after we were out of earshot and said "Even if they could get something that smells THIS complex without the alcohol, I doubt they could get it for under $35 bucks". And yeah, for what we're paying, this is a phenomenal product.

Oh Blue Moon. :P

Guh...*weeps at the beauty*. My first Lab order was for this update. I'd heard the legend, and was all poised and ready and determined to grab a bottle for my very own. Plus I've always had a thing for the moon.

I cannot even attempt to pick one note from another because this is all so seamlessly blended into one glowing, ethereal, hauntingly beautiful dream.

Blue. That's as good as I can do. Beautiful blue. The night is crisp, patterns of moonlit clouds drift about the sky, and the breeze is picking up the most spectacular flowers and gentle woodland scents. This is completely magical, and I am in utter awe. :D

So very glad I have this bottle. 2009's the next blue moon? I'll wait for you, my love!!!

Oh wow. Got a half-imp of this via bpalanon's switch-witch, and ooh. Man.

Very crisp, nearly herbal, cool, watery... all those adjectives everyone keeps using. There are about twenty notes in here, but the sharper ones are kind of amping up on me. It's a very quiet, still scent; it's almost like a voodoo oil in that sense - I'm smelling it and while I really appreciate the scent, I also feel very relaxed by it. It's strange, but incredibly lovely.

Since it is an LE, I'm not going to be tracking down anymore, but if more happens to find its way over to me, well... I won't kick it out of bed for eating pretzels, y'know? And I wouldn't have paid $30 for an unsniffed bottle... but next time this comes around from the lab, yeah, I'm gonna pick up a bottle or two.

ETA: I wore this the other day and it was strangely sweet - like hard candy with a thin powdery coating - strange and reminiscent of SOMETHING but I couldn't name it. Very different from original tests, but still lovely. Huh.

Edited by modernsaints

I ordered the second Blue Moon. At first I could not smell anything! :D Cold, maybe. So I put it on..and waited, and waited some more. Then about after a week, I applied it again and this thyme... :P ....It is subtle and warm.....with a fraquence that is just S-M-O-O-T-H.....like the complexity of The Blue Moon...glad I got it. :D

Wow! This is just wonderful. It's very light and airy and slightly sweet. It really makes me think of a blue moon.

In bottle: I get lots of flowers, but not in a bad way. It's nice and light, not heavy with flowers. I also get some of the woods scents, but I really can't tell which.

Wet: I definitely smell orchid, but not too strong. I also get a little cucumber, and maybe some juniper and iris I'm also getting some of the woods still.

Dry: I get some of the orchid still but it's pretty soft, I also get some of the iris and cucumber. I'm still getting the woods scents as well.

I really like this blend.

I ordered this because it's a rare occasion. it is very very VERY light. when I put it on, I really couldn't smell it at all. I had to douse my arms in it. it's an extremely light floral, and I'm a little sad I couldn't pick up more of the more interesting notes. I don't smell cucumber or anything much at all. all I get is a bunch of flowers far away from me. it's nice, but I'm not getting the complexity. maybe I just have to keep applying more.

It is mostly cucumber, with something else high and sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. At times, though, I catch whiffs of cypress, and it becomes a lovely cypress-and-cucumber woven braid of scent.

I am not going complete nuts over it and hoarding, but it is a beautiful blend I will hold on to.

I would never have ordered this scent based on the ingredients alone, however after reading all the glowing reviews of the previous incarnation, I had to try it.

This is very much not my typical scent, but I can't tell you how many times I have reached for it over everything else in my cupboard. I wear a lot of blue, especially pale blue, and that might be why. Blue Moon feels decadent, like a moonstone set in platinum shot through with gold accents. I can't pick out anything in particular, it's just blue and almost watery in a cool, burbling stream over smooth rocks way. Tiny, delicate, wild flowers dot the surface of the water and fill the air.

I'm not usually inspired to such imagery with my reviews... I guess it's because I can't identify any one component. Which makes it all the more intriguing!

Yes, this is a new love and will be a frequently revisited love. Thank you, Beth, for something so magical.