Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A sultry, exotic scent that inspires devious plotting and clandestine affairs. It is a scent painted in artifice, veiled in deceit, and slithering with whispered secrets. Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes.

Woody, chocolatey, something else... Gets more yummy and chocolatey as it dries down.

I get a hint of cocoa in the imp, but mostly wood, and primarily cedar, I think.

Wet on skin, the fig bursts to the foreground and this is a bright *fig* on me. There's a hint of woodiness in the background, but it's fig first. Wild. This actually has quite a bit of throw as it dries, that fing singing out and making its presence known. Right now, it's a brighter, sharper version of Eden. I'm getting no cocoa at all now and wood only if I press my wrists close to my nose.

So, no more cocoa except for that one sniff, and pretty much a fig single note, which is okay, but not something I need to keep.

In my 2nd BPAL order, had to try an imp because Intrigue has two of my favorite notes: fig and cocoa.

In the imp: the cocoa is up front and clear as day, but subdued by something. I'm getting a hint of pomegranate, even though that's not in the notes. Smells like a dark chocolate bar with pomegranate nibs in it.

Wet: Weird. All I get is sawdust.

Drying: Whatever sharpness Intrigue had when wet fades quickly. The wood settles down and the cocoa comes back to the forefront, dueling with fig for prominence.

Dry: Now very balanced and smooth. Not a trace of the original sharpness remains. This is over-ripe figs, gooey and bursting with juices, rolled in cedar shavings and cocoa nibs.

Verdict: on first wearing, I was nonplussed. Intrigue didn't intrigue me. But on 2nd wearing, something happened and well, she intrigued me! A mercurial, changing fragrance, my skin eats up Intrigue so quickly that the odd performance is over within two hours. Nicely crafted, but probably not something I'll need a full bottle of. I will use up my imp though! Minimal sillage, wears very close, and fades quickly. But then...more oddness from this aptly named scent...she's back!, not heavily, just peeking out here and there and then...disappears!

3/5

Edited by RanaSavia

A subtler scent. Frothy sugar and the sweeter scents of the ocean (most likely the palm here). Just a hint of fig. I do not pick up any of the ceder some others mention. Very nice, and one of my favorites.

in the bottle this smells like dusty cocoa and vanilla and wood. Lovely!

Unfortunately, it makes me smell like a chocolatey hamster cage. can't win 'em all!

In the vial: Mild cocoa and a touch of fig, very faint and light.

On me: Once it dries down, Intrigue is ripe purple fig with unusual sharp sweetness, backed by dark depths. The fig is just on the safe side of cloying, but it is sharp and potent—unusual, unforgiving, and bold. The depths behind them could easily be a mix of palm, cocoa, and wood, but it's too well blended to pick out particular notes; instead, there's a impression of dark woody, possibly cocoa, depths, shadowing the fig and grounding its sharp sweetness. The scent entire is bold and yet mysterious, unignorable potency drawing back into hidden depth; predominant purple fig grounded by cocoa-darkened wood. Colors are purple and black; throw is medium to strong with fig predominant; staying power is pretty impressive—at least six hours without any fading or morphing.

Verdict: I find Intrigue unusual, bold, and marvelous. It's sharper and bolder than the scents I usually wear, and I have to be in just the right mood—and clothes—to wear it. But when I am, and when I do, it is breathtaking. The fig's sharpness is slightly unsettling, yet I'm compelled to sniff it again and again. Sweet, sharp, and ultimately dark and mysterious, Intrigue is a perfect fit to the name. Its potency, darkness, and sensuality make it a wonderful evening perfume.

Amazing! I tried this on without knowing the notes, and I guessed coconut, cocoa, and cool woods. So, verily, this one smells much as it should.

The black palm smells like freshly opened coconut to me. A touch sweet, a touch waxy, a touch watery, and of course, a touch coconuty. Wet, it's all palm, and the cocoa fills in the shadows as it dries. The cocoa is soft and understated, much like in Velvet. It isn't a sweet, chocolate bar note.

For a little while, it's pretty much all coconut and cocoa, but not as foody as you might think. Gourmand, definitely, but not sweet and heavy. The longer it dries, the more the wood notes emerge, and they really complete the scent. There seems to be teak, but I couldn't say what else. They're cool, dry, and -- yes -- shady wood notes. Unlike most blends, with which I amp wood out of control, it remains in the shadows here, grounding the coconut and keeping the blend off your dessert plate. I never pick out the fig, per se, but I guess its sweetness is blending with the palm and causing the coconut effect.

The wear life is on the good side of average. This is well worth a try if you're a fan of fig or cocoa scents.

ETA: On second try, now that I know to look for fig, I definitely smell fig as the top note. Combined with the cocoa and palm, it has a distinctly coconut-like effect, from a distance. Fabulous. It's a light, fruity fig, not a dark and earthy one.

Try it if you like: Velvet, Freak Show, Strangler Fig, Obatala

Edited by naeelah

Ohhhhhh! Intrigue has the green/brown date palm note that i liked in Havana, but without the tobacco that went so nasty on me! It started out invitingly of date palm, and the sweetness of the fig gradually increased, never quite taking over. I could imaging the fig being my co-conspirator, whispering intensely to me in the shadow of the palms. The cocoa was subtle, but present, especially later in the day as the fig finished explaining the plan to me. :P

ETA: Well, I don't quite know why, but I've been wearing or thinking about wearing this blend for a solid week! It's just beautiful, and the cocoa comes through differently every time. I'm thinking about a bottle of this one. It's dark and luscious and beautiful and elegant. So perfect!

Edited by tacey

Unfortunately, I think this blend had determined for me that I can't wear fig. In the imp this is a beautiful blend of cocoa, fig and woods. Once on my skin, however, the fig note predominates to the exclusion of all else. It's a sickly sweet earthy note that is just too loud and cloying. I was really looking forward to this. :P

Swap test!

Smell alike: Violet liquor which is my town speciality ôO

Color impression: dark smoky purple

On me: Started all yummy thanks to the fig but I must say that I find the alliance with cocoa and wood a bit strange. It made the scent a bit sticky, like an old poison.

Wearing: Interesting but far too dark and sweet. Definitely not me

Note: this one is really sticky! Even after washing it, it last hours :P

In the imp: Wood and fig. After smelling Carnal I can smell fig anywhere. Very sweet. I actually thought there was patchouli in this. I have a fear of that scent (dominates everything, never washes off). But it's more dry wood.

Wet: Much sweeter. And I get suntan lotion. Suntan lotion spread on a piece of wood. I don't really get fig anymore. The more it dries, the dryer it smells, if that makes sense. The sweetness goes away, and it smells like dry wood.

Dry: No fig at all. And I get even more suntan lotion. Someone wrote pencil shavings, and that's also what I get. It's fading quickly. A very light scent. And after a long time (maybe an hour) there is just a faint lingering in the fig and nothing else.

Overall: I feared an overpowering patchouli scent. Instead, it's a light coconut and wood smell. It fades quickly, and doesn't have much throw. I surprisingly like it, though. Not my usual taste.

As soon as I opened the imp I knew I was in for a treat. Wet on the skin I get something tropical and white, almost like coconut even though that's not listed, blended with a bit of deep, delicious cocoa and something slick and green: I am guessing that the black palm is giving me this green and white note. It feels very tropical without being tacky. That's nice enough, but the real surprise is the depth and perfect balance of the more "shadowy" notes. On the drydown the woods emerge and form the heart of the scent. I get some nice smooth sandalwood and a great cedar note blending into that touch of slick greenery and dark chocolate coconut. The fig is sweet and distinct... not sharp, but maybe the tiniest bit tart? It adds a perfect high note to a scent that would otherwise be much simpler. Yum. This is wonderful and it lasts for a long time on me. It's really evocative and makes me think of a dark green tropical jungle bordering a pristine, empty beach. The perfect balance of light and dark, and just sweet enough. I'm in love! :wub3:

Every imp of this I've tried has been great, but I got a bottle and swapped it after a few months because it just wasn't the same... it was much creamier and less woody and deep than I was used to. But I love it so much that I'm trying again, and hoping that batch variation will be on my side. :P If not, I'll just cellar it for a year and hope!

Edited by tajana

In the imp: delicious fig and cedar

Wet: wood shavings, cold wet wood shavings

Dry: the fig finally came out and now the wood is cold with a bit of sweetness. the throw has all but faded away.

An curious scent, but not enough of the notes I wanted to smell were able to reach out.

Imp: CEEEEEEDARRRRR! And a bit of foodiness. Unsurprisingly this reminds me of Tombstone.

Wet: I continue with the theme: CEEEEEDARRRRR! And a bit of cocoa. And general woodiness. Very dry.

Dry: The woods retreat a little and the fig rounds out. I get a hint of the cocoa. I think my nose is registering the palm as wood. This still reminds me a lot of Tombstone; a toned down, darker Tombstome. Tombstone Noir if you will. I really like the fig in this. It prevents the blend from becoming too dry and dusty. It's very... lush.

Throw: Okay. Work appropriate.

Overall: I dunno. I like it. It's an interesting, evocative scent. I would classify it as a BPAL overlooked classic--it seems like one of those scents a lot of people love but aren't exactly vocal about loving it. I'm glad to have tried it, kind of intend to hang onto the imp but I don't think it's an every day thing for me.

All I'm getting is wood. You know the theme song for 2 1/2 Men? Well, the theme song for this would go "Wood wood wood wood, woodsy wood wood wood, wood wood wood..."

Not surprisingly, I'm not crazy about this one.

In the Imp: A light hint of chocolate, the ominous echo of wood notes, tempting.

On the Skin: Being a bit worried about how I turn into pinocchio when I touch wood notes, I put a small dab on the inside of my arm. On the skin, it tosses off its demure promises of chocolate and begins to kick me in the nose with its dark, lucious (and way too overwhelming) wood notes. I'm a dark wood desk...a pick up line that I am not sure guarantees success. ( 'Hey baby, I smell like a desk, wanna write on me.'...uhm no, I don't think that's gonna work) :P

Dry: Softer wood, I'll admit. Some dark something else (not spice) lingers underneath, but I can get behind the wood to see it.

A bit more subtle, but I still might be mistaken for part of the furniture. Darn.

In the vial: A cheap motel room scented with artificial coconut. Oh lord, that's not even one of the notes.

On the skin: I'm sure the black palm is the culprit. And his accomplice fig, which never likes me. It's honestly a nice blend, with the woods and the palm plays nicely with the cocoa (I have bad luck with cocoa/chocolate blends usually) and it smells very exotic. I actually like it after the dry down, which surprises me. I think I'll keep the imp and give it another whirl.

In the imp: Mmmm, yummy dry cocoa and warm, wet fig.

On, wet: I swear I smell coconut.

On, dry: Where did it go? My skin just ate this one up after about half an hour.

I had a singularly unusual experience with Intrigue. I had it on my wishlist for quite a while because "cocoa, fig, dark woods?" Sign me up. Smelling the imp, I get a mysterious foody darkness. However, on my skin, it's leather and crayons (not Crayola either... dollar store crayons). Totally bizarre. Even more bizarre, I don't dislike it.

Hmmm, this is an interesting combination. The woods are more of the cedar versus the sandalwood variety, the cocoa is dusty and subdued, the coconut is meaty, the fig is sweet, and it's overall a warm and dry scent. As it dries, a bit of sandalwood starts to appear, and I really like this stage most of all.

Sniffing the imp, it's mostly wood note.

Applied to the skin, it's still mainly wood, but I can also sniff a bit of the cocoa and palm. I'm not getting any of the fig though, even on dry down.

This is gorgeous - definitely woody, almost waxy in a coconut kind of way (without smelling like coconut!) - the cocoa and the fig are beautiful together.. not as prominent as I was hoping, but really velvety and yummy. The name here is, I think, very apt - this is an intriguing scent indeed, very lovely!

In the bottle: Pale yellow color. Smell - chocolate? Mm.. Delectable.

Wet on skin: Still a whiff of chocolate.. But also something a tad sharper, but still foody. For some reason "butter rum" springs to mind, though I don't know why. I have no idea how rum smells. Wait - butterbeer? Is that what my brain was going for? Butterbeer, as in from Harry Potter? Yes, I suppose this is what I imagine it would smell like. Asked my mother, and she said it smelled "very nice", and like vanilla. There is a definite vanilla note in there.

Upon re-reading lab description: Aha! The cocoa I definitely smelled in the bottle. I think I'm getting more of the black palm on my skin, though. This is definitely a scent filled with sultry secrets.. It is, to say the least, intriguing!

On the drydown: Slightly coconutty.. I think I'm definitely amping the black palm, though I'm not 100% sure what black palm smells like. It's just the impression I'm getting. Smells like smoky secrets! Delectable!

imp: dark, rich woods.

wet: the wood notes here are very dark, almost dusty-dry, with a touch of something sweet (likely the fig, though it does not smell like it).

dry: a very nice woodsy fig. this is still dark and rich and mysterious, just sweeter and earthier.

Imp: Either cedar or cypress and fig. Yummy and warm.

Wet: A little cocoa but mostly a fig and wood scent.

Dry: The woods stay too sharp for me. I think this would be much nicer on a man. The cocoa and fig are a delicious undertone.