Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A sultry, exotic scent that inspires devious plotting and clandestine affairs. It is a scent painted in artifice, veiled in deceit, and slithering with whispered secrets. Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes.

Initial Impression:
Dark and sharply foody, a touch foody. I think I smell something like cedar in the background.

After Wearing It:
First on this smelled like chocolate with something sweet and bubbly behind it. I didn't have the note list with me at the time so I wondered if it might be white wine or a citrus note that make the chocolate note less heavy and more sparkling. It was sweet and exciting, invigorating. The feelings it invoked reminded me of how you feel when you've been reading a particularly exciting book. You feel caught up and eager for what turn the path will take next. Appropriate for Intrigue indeed.

Later on the chocolate moves to the background while the fig note becomes more prominent. It's a rich and decadent blend, thick, ripe, and well rounded, the fruit and cocoa notes grounded with faint traces of wood (might smell the black palm too, but I have no idea what that smells like on its own). It's a pulsing, dark brick red scent and just lovely all round.

Final Thoughts:
What an interesting scent! A complex chocolate scent that manages to be rich and deep without being overly foody or sweet. I love it and am definitely contemplating getting a larger bottle.

First sniff: Intrigue is a sharp bright yellow in the vial, and I had trouble pinning it down. I really don’t know why my brain has such trouble identifying fig, but it’s really obvious after I’ve checked the ingredients. Fig it is, then, dark and very earthy, with a base of dark wood.

Wearing: Fig it is, indeed! Vanic will love this. Ah, dammit – there’s incense underneath, or something that acts like incense on me, because I’m getting the sweet-sharp thing again. Beth warned me once that dry woods might go funky on my resin-hating skin, and I’m guessing that’s what this is. I can’t smell it unless I sniff my wrist directly, so I think I’ll just avoid doing that, because the figgy aura is quite nice. As soon as it dries the incensey weirdness is gone – yay! The cocoa blooms very slowly underneath over the course of the evening, but mostly it’s fig, and delicious after it dries. A keeper.

First sniff in the vial: Smoky.

On me: At first it's mostly woody – cedar or sandalwood or some other spicy wood. After a while the wood recedes and I think I can smell the fig and cocoa, although it's hard to tell them apart.

As far as colors, I'd call it a warm shadowy brown. Intrigue gives me an image of a secret agent sitting in a dark corner of a bar in a country like Singapore, smoking, with the shadow of palm trees falling on her face, waiting to meet with a contact.

Definitely not for every day, but I like it a lot.

At first: very intimidating.. It smells like dry teak wood with dry cocoa powder. So dry it will scorch your nose. The cocolate becomes a bit more dominant and later on the fig comes through as a nice surprise. The fruity fig becomes the most dominant scent on my skin, with the woody chcolate at the edges.

Aptly named. What an interesting scent. I get pine and pencil shavings. I wouldn't wear it, but I certainly don't dislike it.

First Impression: This is being in the Yankme Candle Shop in Saugus, MA at the holidays.

Second Impression: I was really put off by my first sniff of this but it smells so fantastic on my skin it's really bewitched me. It's deep and woodsy, sweet and smoky. I can't really even describe what this does to my nose and skin but I :P it.

Final Analysis: I think I need a big bottle of this. It's so not me, but it's gorgeous and mysterious.

on first application, the cocoa note shines through. But not a cloying sweet cocoa- more of a dark, rich and earthy cocoa- like a Mexican cocoa. It actually smells similar to mole which is used in Mexican cuisine. Later, after the cocoa has faded, the fig note rises. I've never really smelled figs on their own, but what a light, sweet scent! Definitely a scent for evenings in-- and out! I almost feel like I should be wearing something velvety and luxe when I wear this scent.

Upon first sniff fron the bottle, it is very decidedly fig, with a touch of wood in the background. Kind of cedary in quality.

On me the wood REALLY comes out, and it smells VERY much like cedar. It actually reminds me of a store in the mall that used to sell a lot of cedar objects and different wicker furnitures. (Portside Imports)

As it begins to dry, the fig comes out a little bit more, but there is still that cedar scent behind it. After a while, it begins to turn more sandlewood-ish, but not too much.

I always liked the scent of my Mom's cedar chest. This reminds me of that:)

Grr, what happened to my review?

First sniff: Very strong fig. I'm not sure I'm going to like this.

Wearing it: Intrigue is a very smooth scent, a polished brown color. All notes in this fragrance are in perfect balance. The cocoa teeters between woody smells, but the cedar is not very pronounced on me.

Overall: Intrigue is a beautiful scent. It's not my style to wear, but I've never tried anything like this. I just couldn't stop smelling it...

I had a sample of this and wore it and couldn't smell it. I bought a 5 ml bottle and applied heavily (I have very dry skin). Now, I can smell it, but it is very light on me and it's very humid here. Yes this is a smoky, wooded, cocca fig but it all blends together very well. I do get the faint cedar that some have described. I've had this on for about an hour an it's very light on me. I smell the hint of cedar, smokiness and only a very slight bit of fig. I can't pick out the black palm, as I have no idea what it smells like. This is a very unique scent. There is nothing quite like it in the collection. I like to have a lot of variety in my fragrances....so this will suit me just fine. Smelling in colors.......I smell a vevlety chocolate with a swirl of plum (must be associated the fig with plum??).

ETA: I had to come home and add to this review. After wearing this all day, this has moved to one of my fav's. The drydown is actually gorgeous on this scent. It is still very unique, but the fig comes out a bit more and it softens. I actually even got some wafting from this and I was in freezing air conditioning so I was surprised. This is so sexy and I ADORE & LOVE it. I did have to wear quite a bit to get the desired effect on myself though. I'm a fragrance whore!!

Edited by lorajc

FIRST SNIFF: delicious! cocoa and woody notes

WEARING IT: the fig is coming out, but the most distinct note is the cocoa. all of the notes blend so well together making it warm and cozy. it's a really dry scent but not at all off-putting. it really is a terrific every day scent! not overly chocolately in the least.

VERDICT: i'll more than likely get a larger bottle!

On first application: I smell something fruity and sweet that I can't immediately identify. It's the fig. Wow, two scents in a row that I've tried with fig that don't smell like moldy mushrooms on me! This is a rich, juicy fig, and it's what I predominantly smell when first applied.

As it dried down, the cocoa began to surface, very subtly... it's a rich, almost toasty cocoa (likely the woody notes are adding to the toastiness). The dry-down scent is a gorgeous blend of this rich, rich cocoa with the juiciness of the fig. It's very sophisticated and understated and yet very sexy at the same time. I would never have chosen this for myself based upon the notes, but I am finding myself very drawn to this scent and will seriously consider buying a larger bottle. It's just yummy.

It's sweet, yet it's not. It's fruity, yet it's not. Every time I sniff my arm I pick up a different note. I can identify the cocoa and I think the fig, but there are several others I can't identifiy at all.

I feel like I'm in a dark, shaded jungle when I wear this. Ok, maybe not a jungle, but I'm definitely in that bar from the "Hungry Like the Wolf" video. A vodka sour and some table-tossing, please.

Wet this smells "generic BPAL sweet" to me, which I assume is due to the fig. I'm getting very bad at picking out notes out of the bottle for some reason.

Drying - the cedar makes a grand entrance with a chocolate chorus

Dry - all cedar and chocolate.

Dry 1+ hours - the chocolate is fading a bit, and something very sweet is peeping out from under a heady cedar fog.

I asked Mr. L his opinion of my arm and the smell coming out of it, and he said that it smelled like Christmasy craft stores that old ladies go to... not in a bad way, but that's what he thought. I kind of agree with him - the cedar is SO strong on me and the cocoa has by now faded into general yet strong and a little bit spicy sweetness that I smell kind of like a holiday candle. I do like it, but it's not something I want my body to smell like.

I was quite excited about this one, since I love fig. Plus, Intrigue sounds like a good mystery-novel scent (I haven't actually tried Mystery itself yet). Wet, this smells exactly like Cathedral on me--those heavy ol' resins. It gets sweeter almost at once, with some dry cocoa and tobacco (?). Much more wearable than Cathedral, but the fig never showed up on me. Drat.

This scent reminds me definitely of a female spy (er, one hiding out in a cathedral?), but not a sexy spy like Mata Hari. I'm thinking Carmen Sandiago. :P I may not wear this very often, but it is indeed intriguing.

I love this one. On my skin it's reminiscent of a raspberry thicket on a humid day, and all kinds of leaves and darkness in the background. Together with the name, it makes me think of the days when I had a cat and wondered where she travelled, just wishing I could follow.

The total scent might be the cat's journey, into the raspberry bushes, over the dry leaves and moss, becoming nothing but a rustle and glowing eyes to the passer-by.

I’m always amazed at the changeable nature of Beth’s creations, how one day they can be something and the next something else. I bought this on the recommendation of a friend, and was excited by the fig. Loving the fig ever since I tried the single note.

Wet, the fig comes through very well. This is the whole fig, woody bush, sweet fruit and all. I’m unsure what the black palm smells like, but the cocoa adds a deep sweetness to the entire scent. It’s all very intriguing. *wink* The sweetness fades slightly, leaving the shadowy woods behind. It’s definitely a gourmand scent, but there’s an Asian feeling there also. Like plumb wine and bamboo… only fig and wood. I like this, I do, but it’s just too woody for me. Likely, this will be a swap.

Yes, I'd say this oil is very intriguing. In the vial and while wet I can smell the cocoa, fig and something smokey. Very complex and interesting.

But something about my chemistry is making the cedar note come out WAY too much and all I am smelling on drydown is Eau de Hamster Cage. :P

Intrigue is a strong dark chocolate when I first put it on with the fig behind it sweetening it just slightly but then there's the Black Palm (and I assume the wood notes) that smacks it to the ground and really makes this oil interesting. Dirty but not naughty. Sensual but not in a food way or an overly sexual way.

I find myself using this oil at times when I am home and feeling rough around the edges but perfectly fine with that. I don't know that I would want anyone else smelling me like this but I can't stop putting it on when I'm alone.

It's my bitch scent.

Intrigue from the bottle, I can smell the cocoa and woods, On my skin I smell real strong cedar almost too much. The drydown is just beautiful! :D This could be a distant cousin of Velvet because it is sensuale,exotic, deep and it almost takes the imagination back to a foreign exotic place with paisley carpets, sacred temples,harem girls and incense. :P When its dry the cedar aroma is almost gone, I smell only a teeny bit. I smell the lush fig and cocoa and a note that smells a little like sandalwood. I love it!! Im very glad I have a 10ml of this aphrodisiac. :D It's on my favorits list and I wear it when Im feeling sexy :D :D

Edited by Reinaluna

I got this in a swap from hypothermya and am so glad I did. When first applied, I get a chocolate/cedar thing that makes me think of this as the chocolate version of Tombstone :D After about an hour, the fig begins to dominate, the chocolate goes away but a little of the cedar lingers. I kind of agree with the posters above who use this as an "alone time" oil, I think other people might think it was a little weird but I find it very seductive and addicting :P

Wow. Now this is a complex blend. In the vial, it smelled very dark and woody, so much so that I put off trying it.

On, I primarily get a cedar note, but this is no white or yellow cedar. This is a dark and brooding cedar, a cedar that has something to hide... (insert dramatic music here :P I should not be writing reviews late at night :D ).

OK, seriously though, as the blend evolves on my skin, Intrigue turns darker and deeper, but never sinister or unsettling. It is very complex and layered: now I can distinctly smell the cocoa and I think that the fig is coming out to play too.

This is definitely, well, intriguing (!), and I would even say fascinating. It immediately took me back to one of the most gorgeous clubs in Paris, The China Club. I don't know if I enjoy Intrigue mostly for its complex sophistication or just because it reminds me of many, many nights spent at The China Club, but I simply love it :D

Oh, and it also layers wonderfully well with rich, fruity scents. I tried it with Bordello and the result is to die for :D

Received as an imp.

The cocoa really came out first. Dried down to what I consider a very adult scent.

Sophisticated and dry

One gets to a certain age and sweet scents are not at the top of the list

Edited by sensuallyexperienced

I never smelled the cocoa in this. Only the cedar was prominate on my skin with a light floral. Sadly I kept smelling pencil shaving which isn't what I really want to smell like so I think I will swap this.

Kimberly

On me, this is a very nice, sweet-cedar-smoky scent. The cedar comes out a lot on me, as cedar tends to do on my skin, and the fig comes out well also, balancing the scent and making it more warm and comforting. I love the smell of cedar alone, but the fig gives it a great balance.

If I sniff my skin directly, I smell a smokiness in there that reminds me of Old Kathmandu - but it's more subtle and earthy. I can't really smell the cocoa...although I kind of think I can pick it up if I focus on it. I might be imagining it though. :P

I really like this scent. I find it comforting, and I can imagine having nice dreams if I wear it to bed. It also stays on my skin more than some other scents do, and I can smell it around me, which is nice.