Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

51 --

Luminescent, glowing, and otherworldly: green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

Enraged Martian Musk?

51 is quite sweet and reminds me of honeysuckle powder. Once in a while I get a whiff of a bit of citrus fruit but on the whole, these are very dainty and demure little green muskymen.

And this is to die for.

Sweet without being cloying.

Fruity without being artificial.

Floral without being head inducing.

Just a wee bit of tartness. Some wood notes thrown in there for reference, so I don't get lost.

Perfection.

A complex yet well blended perfume. At turns I can pick out this scent or that, but mainly its just a divine fragrance.

This is my new love. While Beth's sense of humor must have inspired the name, this blend itself is fucking genius, for lack of a better description. It's crisp and green, very feminine, and people asked me about it wherever I went, so it apparently has crazy throw. I get a beautiful combination of freesia and white musk for the most part, with citrus and neroli topnotes and a hint of ambery drydown. I was reminded in the oddest way of a Creed scent I used to wear, Fleurissimo, which I don't think I have smelled since about 2001 - I will have to look it up to see what notes they share, though.

I didn't even want to mess around with the angst of searching swaps for an unwanted bottle - I just went ahead and ordered a bottle tonight, along with a bottle of Morocco I wanted because I got the best frimp of Morocco ever in my order today. (I usually wait and wait and wait before ordering because I like to get the most out of my shipping, and I have tons of bottles to swap right now, but no! there could be no waiting!)

Anyone who's a fan of the Lab's light musk scents should give this one a try, even if there's a note or two that would usually send you running. I hesitated myself, because I am no fan of guava or honeydew, but somehow the other elements (perhaps the citrus, the woods, the amber?) balance out the tropical sweetness that could have ruined this one for me. I have a feeling all the light, spring-y blends that I have moved to the front of my bottle box are going to be neglected when my bottle of 51 arrives.

this is green, refreshing yet rich, in the imp. i'm getting mostly melon, but mixed beautifully with the freesia - a gentle fruity/floral blend...the greeness reminds me of the lightness and airiness i associate with bamboo. there is also something slightly tropical in feeling here. the complexity of this scent is apparent mostly in the wet stage. as it dries down, it becomes a bit more nondescript on me. but this still conjures a up a cool, glowing light green color. 51 would be a clean, cooling scent for warm weather. it would be perfect to wear out on a summer night.

51- Oh.My.God.

As soon as I applied this, I recognized the scent: It smells like Theirry Mugler's Alien -- only better! Alien is one of my all-time favorite commercial fragrances, and this smells almost exactly like it, except it doesn't have that alcohol touch to it. I am in looove with 51. I have a new GC favorite!

This is a gorgeous fruity-floral over a musky-woody base. The freesia and guava seem to be the strongest notes, but the ambers, woods, and musks keep it from being too luminous, and help keep the scent "down to earth."

The scent is sweet, but not cloying. It's ethereal without being wispy. It's musky and woody without being heavy. I really wish I could put into words how incredible this scent is. Wow. Just WOW.

I am desperately missing 10 ml bottles right now because I want a 10 ml of this. A 5 ml will have to suffice. However, if Beth decides to start selling this in 55 gallon drums, I'll be the first in line!

Edited by edenssixthday

In the vial:

clean and green smelling

On me:

Goes on kind of bright and green with a hint of citrus. Very clean smelling, makes me think of F5 when it's wet.

Edensixthday mentions Theirry Mugler's Angel and I have to agree! While it doesn't smell just like it, it does smell similar and has the same sort of vibe without the alcohol smell. It's PURE gorgeous when it's dry. I mean I can't even describe it but I am so sad that I didn't get a bottle instead of an imp. It's slightly sweet and musky with some soft fruity notes. It's such a beautiful blend and everything works together very well.

The fruit isn't overwhelming at all - it's subtle and adds a playful touch to this. It's not sugary sweet but it's sweet enough and the wood notes add a sort of mature, deep background to this so that it's not all fruity and sweet and girly. It's very complex, but definitely beautiful.

Final note:

A definite winner in my book, I ADORE this blend. Beth outdid herself, it's so unique and complex.

EDIT: Here is a banner I made for 51 if anyone would like to use it:

51banner.jpg

Edited by Brianne

Light, sweet, green... those three words sum it up for me. I do believe I have found my summertime relief scent!

:P

Wow. Just wow. Words cannot express just how beautiful this scent is. I kept smelling something fresh and green and lovely on the the Metro this morning - something lightly fruity, and musky and just fresh and clean and gorgeous - then I realized it was me! This is the perfect summer scent; the perfect I want it to be summer scent; the perfect I-feel-like-crap-today-and-want-something-uplifting scent.

And the fact that it makes me giggle like a fool when I think of the inspiration doesn't hurt either. :P

This oil *would* be green, wouldn't it? Overpoweringly musky at first, but after about 30 minutes this settled down into a soft, fruity (I can smell the guava), faintly floral scent. Fresh and cool. I may try it again in a few weeks to see how that initial musky blast is faring.

And if there's EVER another X-Files movie made, I've got something to wear to opening night now.:P

I wouldn't mind wearing this every day. It's lovely ... light, sweet, fresh, green & musky. I find it difficult to pick out the notes. I think it's a wonderfully blended perfume which will win many people over :P I spilled my imp all over my jeans :D so I ordered a bottle this morning ... I think I'll be wearing it quite a bit.

In Bottle: Clean bright perfume

On Skin: Wow. After being in a musk mood lately, I’ve been wearing very dark, brooding, plush and haevy scents. This scent just blows me out of the water. So very bright and so clean! Yes it’s musky, but clean very gentle musks. The fruits are delicious, especially the honeydew. The florals give it a very feminine perfumey edge. While it can be sharp at times, the fruits seem to sweeten it up and keep it balanced. It’s aquatic, woody, fruity and clean musk. An amazing combination. Very green in tone and I love that it’s called 51. I am an alien freak and even made a special trip just to visit Area 51. This is bottleworthy for sure. Strong throw and average wearlength.

I've always liked freesia, and I like it in this. But for some reason, it's smelling salty on me. Fresh, crisp, green, and... salty? Odd. I like the crispness of it, but to be utterly honest, I don't believe this is working on my skin as well as it's working on other people.

My husband thinks it smells great, but my reaction is still meh. Maybe I'll wear it around for a couple of days and see if I like it better.

This is very nice, I bought a bottle, unsniffed, on a whim. -Its a very clean, cool scent, sweet, but not foody, and I get more floral from this than anything else.

It'll be *perfect* for summer.

-Not migrane-inducing either (florals do that to me, damn them).

Whee, I don't love it to pieces, but I'm glad I bought it and gave it a try.

this is a sweet fruity-floral on me. something in it turns bad on me, similarly to ides of march and causes me a headache just like that one did. im not sure what does exactly, perhaps the honeydew or freesia. this one just does not work and i'll have to swap it.

light and pleasant, but disappears quickly on me.

It finally hit me what this scent smells like. It's like a Thierry Mugler Alien dupe oil mixed with bpal's baby powdery amber. It has Alien's distinctive, sweet, yellowy floral and clean feel. The drydown of 51 is more warmly musky and very powdery. It's like a blah version of Alien. Bpal's "Alien Invasion" LE scent also reminds me of Thierry Mugler's Alien...

Edited by Little Bird

This is the perfect summer scent! It's fruity, with non-soapy florals and very clean-smelling musk. I adore it, and I'm so glad it's in the GC so I can tame my hoarding instincts. Otherwise, I'd need several backups. :P

This is just beautiful!! :P I adore this perfume, and am so glad it is a GC. I could see myself going cookoo in bidding wars, and going all mad with hoarding on this one. I agree w/ Maijasu, it is a perfect Summer scent, but more than that, it is one I can wear at work too. It is clean (not soapy) bright, fruity (w/o being too sweet) with a crisp, zingy edge to it. It's in my top 10 for sure.

Bravo Beth :D

Oooh, so pretty. 51 is polished and well-blended. It would be perfect for work, as it’s very light and nearly elegant. My skin picks up the honeydew and freesia the most, but it’s also got a great, greenish glow of a drydown that seems to be powered by the musks.

I really like it, I just wish it stuck around a little longer on me. Even so, I think I might put this on my bottle list! It's one of those blends that just makes me feel happy.

I'm not surprised this reminds some people of a department store perfume - it smells very commercial. Not in a bad way at all, just that I can see it appealing to many people.

This is very green and fresh. Herbal and fruity. Bright and clean. Slightly aquatic (or is it salty?) This would be great on a hot summer night!

Not only is 51 a wonderful concept, but it happens to be a great scent as well. It's light and glowing, something similar to F5 (from the white musk and citrus), but 51 has some strange elements that make it a little more mysterious and complex. It is well balanced, and works well for my skin. None of the notes are really standing out above the others. It's a spooky glowing night-time scent, airy and ethereal, with not much throw. If I sniff up close, I think I can pick out the woods. I was expecting this to be more fruity and juicy, but it's much drier, maybe because the woods, scrub, and night air are balancing things out. I'm not sure but I think I can almost pick out the hazelwood that's in 'The Great Red Dragon....' from the Salon. I think it's a possibility, although 51 is nothing like that scent.

I am not heavily into this kind of scent (light, bright, refreshing, cool...), and I already have a bottle of F5, otherwise I might want a whole bottle of this. I might want one anyway....it's just a fun scent that works well for me.

I love the light refreshing scents and this hits the nail on the head! It's very green smelling, fruity and bright but not sweet. I concur that it smells like a more commercial perfume and this was an instant hit with me! Great for summer time wear!

Imp upgrade to bottle oh yes! :P

Jenn

In the vial: Smells like honeydew single note, if there is such a thing. Hopefully, that recedes a little bit--I don't mind fruity, but this is SUPER fruity. Like, ants will follow me around, fruity.

Wet: oh, MOMMA. No single note jumps out fruit or floral, it's just a glowing, soft spring scent, like new leaves.

Drydown: The amber and musk emerge more, giving it more of a richness, a soft skin scent as the heady brightness of the top notes starts to fade. The only thing that kinda kills me about this scent is, it has no staying power. An hour and it's pretty much gone. If I get this, I'm gonna have to slather the hell out of it. But I might, it's SO yummy. And whatever green musk is? I'm a fan. Sign me up. The base of this is FABULOUS.

It seems like a kissing cousin to Mag Mell and Mantis: they all share the freshly sweet neroli-amber vibe on me, but Mag Mell has an aquatic edge, this one fruity and Mantis a deeper, earthier base with the red patchouli. If you like Mag Mell or Mantis, you'll probably like this, to me it feels like a variation on that theme.

Edited by northatlantic