Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Masabakes is a Cantabrian demoness that governs lustfulness and lechery. In order to tempt virgins to corruption she employs the aid of her lackey, the imp Tentirujo. Under the cover of magickal invisibility, the imp caresses maidens with mandrake root, instilling uncontrollable passion and wantonness in the unsuspecting girls. Thick black currant with the darkest, deepest myrrh, a drop of bitter mimosa and the slightest touch of mandrake dust.

First sniff:

Earthy and dirty and very slightly bitter. I can't pick out any individual notes, but the impression I'm getting is of a very dark cave with a dirt floor. I don't smell anything fruity in this at all, which is fine by me.

Wet on skin:

More bitter than in the bottle, but not at all unpleasant. It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. The notes in this are so well blended that none of them stand out to the point where I can identify them. The earthiness is fading, leaving a bitter, slightly woody scent behind.

Dry down:

This is, quite possibly, the most complex scent I've tried yet. It's almost impossible for me to describe, even in my mind. It's almost herbal, but brown instead of green, if that makes sense. It's not quite earthy, but I get the impression of earthiness. Very complex. :P

The bottom line:

Complicated and unusual. It's confusing, but in a good way. It's entirely different than any other scent I've tried. Definitely a keeper.

Masabakes

In the Bottle:

Spicy, tangy and something bitter....I know this smell from somewhere.

Wet on Skin:

Yummy...warm , but there is that bitter smell. What is it about this I recognize?

Dry:

Still lovely and soooo familiar.

Ah ha!!! This smells exactly like Coco by Chanel on me.

I dug out my bottle and tried some on the opposing wrist. While the Coco starts out sweeter, they smell exactly the same once dry. Coco is really the only store bought perfume I have ever worn (jr. high excluded), no wonder Masabakes had that cozy feeling.

Bottom Line:

I can't help but love this.

eta: I can finally smell the currant and I love it. I am not generally a fruity kinda gal, but I found myself sighing everytime I caught a whiff. Great lasting power too. I put a swipe on my wrist and a swipe on my collar and it lasted until about 6 pm...right when I got a package filled with glorious impage..but that is another story. :P

Edited by ewalk

(I was kind of scared of trying this one after it was mentioned in one of the BPAL haikus)

In the vial: Very earthy, with a touch of herbs. Another reviewer mentioned Masabakes evoking images of a dusty cauldron in a cellar with herbs hanging to dry. I get that image, too!

Wet, on my skin: Still quite earthy, but then something orangy/spicy comes out. I keep detecting some ginger. It's a very cozy, familiar smell and I can totally see the comparison to Coco by Chanel made by still another reviewer.

On drydown: The earthiness is disappearing, and Masabakes is getting sweeter and fruitier. BUT, it is also starting to smell more like "fresh scent" Lysol cleaner! (I have a bottle of this and went to check, just to be sure.) Yep, that's what it dried down to smell like on me. Even so, I still kinda like it!

There definitely isn't a big bottle of Masabakes in my future, but I think I'll keep and enjoy my imp!

ETA: There was another perfume that this reminded me of and I couldn't think of the name of it. But now I remember that it smells kinda like Estee Lauder's Knowing. (I don't even know if they make that anymore)

Edited by Scylla

When I tried Masabakes, I couldn't pick out any of the notes. It just came across as very heavy and sweet on me. Too cloying for me. It reminds me of commercial perfume. I didn't get the sourness that a lot of people seemed to get though.

Masabakes is a really complicated scent, difficult to describe and difficult to detect notes in. It's really well-blended. To me, it smells like plum incense or a bonfire made from cherry branches. It's a hazy, dark, fruity blend with a good waft. The currant comes out last for me and smells a bit like mulled wine. Quite nice.

Masabakes

In the bottle:

This one morphed with successive sniffing. The initial sniff is very much like a harsh, alcoholic store version of French Creole. Then I got mingled indistinguishable sharp spices. At the very edge I picked up an anise/licorice note.

Wet:

Harsh, sharp spices. Almost a citrus-type tang, but without the usual orange/lemony/bergamot note... just the effect of biting into pith. Like many others, I kept wanting to pin down something that was clove, even though that is not listed as a component of this blend. The oil is rich looking, about medium thick. I tried to apply somewhat sparingly (one swipe shared between the wrists, one or two swipes along the neck and collar bones).

Drydown:

I'm not sure if it was the oil, or just getting into an office that had been closed over the weekend, but I couldn't stop coughing and sneezing. There was an irritated tickle in the back of my throat and I'm still sniffling now, about an hour later. I'm wafting like crazy. Every breath is almost assaulted by this oil. There is an underlying powdery sweetness to all this agressive spice, but it seems to amp up the aggression rather than subdue it. So far all these confusing phases place this imp firmly in the "maybe" pile. It's got all the elements I've discovered I like (darkness, spiciness, hint of fruit) but it hasn't yet settled down to something I can fully enjoy.

Conclusion:

I'm about two hours into the wearing right now. It's just as strong as ever. A bit calmer, and I am beginning to detect the fruity currant. This is very dark, brooding, and aggressive, but the powder note is starting to take over, which I don't think I like. Definitely maybe. :P

ETA: 8 hours later, I was wafting myrrh and spices, but sniffing preserved plums directly off my skin. This is a "treat" my parents favored as I was growing up. I didn't like the preserved plums because they still had their stones (I was one of those boneless, seedless food favoring children).

14 hours later, I could still faintly pick this up when I sniffed directly from my wrist.

Edited by darkitysnark

Masabakes

When first applied I can smell the mimosa and myrrh, no sign of the blackcurrant at the moment. I love the smell of mimosa and the myrrh is giving a really interesting and pleasant result.

Once dry this is a slightly spicy floral on me, with incensey tones. I never did manage to isolate the blackcurrant, but suspect it is just adding to the richness.

This smells really good on me and I like it a lot.

Upon application, this made me think of those bark extract supplements, except this isn’t quite earthy and it’s sort of sweet. Then, this is slightly bitter, in that ginger sort of way. It’s crisp and clean, but fruity of the non-sweet and juicy variety. I know I’m getting Masabakes confused with Lampades, but this makes me think of cranberries on a branch. Over time, this gets a bit sharper and crisper.

The above reviewers weren't kidding when they said Masabakes was hard to describe!

In the vial, it was quite sour and almost salty. It reminded me of brine and I can see that several people likened it to pickles. It wasn't my nose going crazy, then. Good.

On my skin, the sourness for the most part goes away. Masabakes turns into something much earthier than I would have expected. But this is not earthy a la Zombi or Burial, no. This is damp, thick red earth, maybe even red clay. It is the kind of earth one would find in a cave or a very old, very rough cellar. It definitely smells of roots to me, almost of ginger. That is probably the mandrake. I don't get any currant or mimosa when I smell my arm (shame because I love them both), but I can catch a faint whiff of them every now and then in the air surrounding me. At least I think so. Oh, this blend is so complex it is maddening!

This is very, very unique. Whether it is in a good or a bad way, I don't know. I am utterly confused. I have a weird attraction/repulsion thing going on with Masabakes. It smells a little dangerous, almost poisonous, yet I can't stop sniffing my arm.

If you like dark, complicated, fascinating scents, give it a try!

Edited by Ishtar

First Impression: Strong and sharp. This one has teeth.

Second Impression: My skin reacts to myrrh similar to the way it reacts to vetiver. :P This one has staying power and throw. It's all I can smell.

Final Analysis: This doesn't suit me. I'm glad I got to try it though.

I got a lot of "that generic BPAL" scent from this one. It was incense-y, probably the myrrh. A little sweet and tany from the fruits, but I wonder what mandrake smells like?

It was pleasant, but not my favorite. I will definitely wear it, once I run out of some other imps.

Initial Sniff: Earthy and myrrhtastic. There is also something sweet and something sharp lurking in the background. This is not a perfume for good girls.

Wearing: My skin loves myrrh, tra la la! This is dangerous and delicious at the same time. The earthiness fades as it dries, but the currant peeks out from behind the spicy myrrh curtain. It lasts for freakin' ever.

Final Impressions: Color association: this is a thick honey golden curtain hiding deep scarlet and plum places and dark black holes. I love it! A yummy warm deep scent with a nasty edge perfect for cold weather!

In the bottle: Hmm. I can't really describe this one. It's very soft and rounded at the edges, but definitely not light. It's full-bodied. And for some reason I get lemon? It could possibly be the mimosa, as I've never smelled it before.

Wearing: Smells like Indian food? I still can't really pick out any notes, so I'll just leave it at that description. Not bad, so far.

Later: OK, I like the spicy, kind of smudgy/hazy feel this has when sniffing directly from my arm, but the smell that it projects around me just isn't working. It's almost creamy and a bit too sweet for my tastes, and for some reason reminds me of Seraglio. I really wanted to like it, but sadly I think I will have to pass it on.

In the imp:

A black, sweet (not cloying) berry. A subtle green/herbal, some resiny sharpness. I don't usually like how the oils smell from their containers, but this is an exception! (Not getting any pickles, here... :P)

It goes on soapy, but within 5 minutes, warms and turns beautiful. A sharp myrrh cleaves seamlessly through sweet, dark, dusty berry.

Drying, I get hints of something furry and warm and sweet, like a clean animal.

A couple hours later, it still smells sweet and dark, and the color impressions I get are jet black, copper, dark purple, and green.

Masabakes lasts a long time and has decent throw, both of which are rarities on me. It is dark and complex, and one of the most sexy BPALs I've tried. (I guess I'm weird. Wait, I know I'm weird.)

Definitely in my top 10!

Dark myrrh is definitely the major player in Masabakes. Since I have an imp of the dark myrrh single note, I can tell that the mimosa sharpens it (dark myrrh is very smooth and rounded by itself), and that the black currant thickens it ever so slightly and adds the faintest touch of berry sweetness. While Masabakes is an interesting, intense scent, I actually prefer dark myrrh by itself over this, so this imp will be swapped away.

Edited by tempete

Since I recently discovered my love for black currant, I'm quite excited about this. Fresh out of the vial, I smell the black currant, but also the heavy myrrh. Wow, this is really sweet. It also has a kind of cola-ish edge to it, like the syrup before the carbonated water is added. I like this a lot!

In the vial: Now this is a gorgeous spicy oil. I think it's the myrrh that is really catching my nose. So smoky and rich.

Wet: MMMmmmm, there is a floral or something rising to the forefront. The myrrh is hanging back, but it is a very steady base though. This is a very sexy blend.

After 30 minutes: This is such a sophisticated blend. I can't quite describe it. But it makes me feel... more... powerful? somehow. Hmm, power. Maybe not. I don't know, but this is a gorgeous blend. I love it. Very authoritative. :P

Masabakes

In the Vial: There appears to be some form of berryish scent to it. :D

Wet: I smell Blackcurrant and some Myrrh.

Dry: Spicy Blackcurrant... It's nice, smokey, berrylike, and I can smell spice, maybe cinnamon.

Conclusion: It's nice, I'll keep it. :D I don't think I'll buy a big bottle, but I'll use the imp of it. :P

wow this is swarthy and dark and spicey

wet it was mostly myrrh

as it dried it became more demensional altho it never got quite "fruity" i could detect the currant as it dried,

final thoughts, it is spicer then i expected, and became lighter and nicer as it dried. to me this is a nice wintery scent.

Masabakes:

Wet: .. leather? spicy leather?

Drydown: All myrrh. Pure myrrh.

Longterm wear: Pure myrrh. Too incensy for me.

You've snuck down to the beach, started a driftwood fire, and are now passing around the black currant wine and smoking menthol cigarettes.

That would have worked for me at one point, but not now I'm afraid.

Masabakes was meant for someone else.

First sniff from the bottle- Wow that's DARK smelling.

After 10 minutes- Where do I begin describing how this smells? This smells like Obsession that has been thrown in a fire and then doused with black pepper. The black current is not as fruity in this as it is in other blends. It almost smells like opium but not as sweet. The myrrh in this blend is heavy...like a black myrrh. Charred and burned myrrh. I am not sure where the peppery bit I am smelling is coming from...maybe the mandrake?

After 30 minutes- Now this is peppery Obsession but being worn while in a musty cave. And that's not a bad thing because I really think this is a dark sexy scent. It's very sophisticated. At this stage it reminds me of Hecate sans the almond.

Summery- Dark, dank, sexy and sophisticated.

Masabakes

In the imp: this reminds me of cough syrup…it's a dark, sweet, pungent and medicinal smell.

Wet on skin: still medicinal, with a hint of fruit that's slightly cherry-like, and just the hint of mimosa.

Dry on skin: now it's the mimosa's turn to take over. There are two sweet notes to this, first a bright sweet note from the mimosa, but there's a dark sweet undercurrent to this too, probably from the currants. Still has a medicinal smell though, but not as much.

After a while: oh dear, this has switched back to a harsh medicinal smell again-this seems like a smell you could knock people out cold with, it's very pungent and strong, slightly alcoholic. The mimosa is there, but it's really 'bitter' in this, not the sweet light note I expected. There's a fruity currant note, but it reminds me of those currant cough drops with menthol.

After about an hour, I think I can make out the currant becoming stronger, and the myrrh is there too, and something that smells cherry-ish, that could be the currants. It's not a warm incensy smell like I get with other myrrh blends, but a cold smell, harsh, unkind, and even lethal.

After a few hours, it's still there, but the smell has softened, warmed up, become more approachable, and has changed into...vetiver. Yes, vetiver. I know it's not in the description but there's something in this blend that smells just like vetiver, and that's no bad thing since I like vetiver. It adds a nice earthiness to the final stage of this scent, and also reminds me of the end of Serpent's Kiss. I'm amazed at this oil's staying power.

Verdict: this is another interesting one, it's very bittersweet, powerful and intense, and I'm not sure if I like it or not, because sometimes there's that lovely light mimosa smell, but it suddenly switches to a smell that reminds me too much of bitter cough syrup-it's too medicinal. It's okay, but it's not my thing really-it maybe something to use as room fragrance, but not as perfume. Maybe it will grow on me, but for now, it's off to swaps.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the bottle: Mmmm.... a spicy resinous scent.

First on: I can smell what I think is mimosa, lots of myrrh (gotta love the myrrh), and only a hint of currant. This is definitely a dark sinister scent, so of course I love it.

Drydown: Same as above. It's a great earthy fire scent, if that makes sense.