Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In Bottle: Vetiver

On Skin: The vetiver comes screaming out of this blend. Vetiver smells very earthy and dirty to me, it rarely works on me. Here it’s not being my friend at all. It also has my other archnemesis patchouli which is very strong and very much not working on me as well. It is so dark and earthy it is almost overwhelming. I can’t smell the pomegranate at all, and I smell the ginger slightly. Since there is such a dar smoky feel to this scent, that’s pretty much all I smell and the other notes just seem lost to my nose. This is the first Salon I really have dislike (sorry Beth!)… but it’s because it’s full of notes I knew wouldn’t work on me anyways. I need to wash it off. It has a very, very strong throw. Not sure of the wearlength since I washed it off, but I’d guess it has a fairly long wearlength since its so strong.

In bottle: Unfh. The darkest vetiver yet. This vetiver wants to take me out back and do me up against the wall, skirts hiked to my waist.

On me: It lightens, becoming velvety dark rather than frightening pitch. The pomegranate is a temptation. The patchouli backs the vetiver, leering. Man. This is complex and gorgeous, but I don't think I can wear it in public! This one's dirty.

at first: tons of vetiver.

on: i only put a tiny dab of this on because i fear vetiver. it's actually not bad, though. i'm getting some bright pomegranate and sweet amber. however, the vetiver still dominates.

2 hours later: earthy, dark musk and vetiver with a hint of ginger.

4 hours later: lots of patchouli and vetiver with a hint of amber.

5.5 hours later: heavy, earthy notes.

overall: amazingly, while i was able to smell the vetiver the entire time, it didn't smell bad to me. crazy, eh? i don't know if it was this particular combination of notes or what, but it worked with my skin for a change.

In the imp: yikes! VETIVER OF DOOM! I smell some black musk too but mainly Evil V, the heavy stuff that won't come off!
Wet on skin: lots of vetiver, whoa. This stuff is so strong!
Dry on skin: mmm, actually, this isn't so bad. It's packed with the heaviest vetiver, but even that doesn't overwhelm. In fact, I can smell the musk, patchouli, pomegranate and perhaps the barest hint of ginger, and I can also smell Egyptian amber. Indeed, this actually smells a little bit like Mme Moriarty! I swear I'm getting hints of plum, or something fruity at least, and the patch in here smells similar to Mme's patch, with it's woodsy tobacco scent. The vetiver is strong but I actually like this a lot.
After a while: now the vetiver is starting to take over. The fruity amber scent I got before has faded, and the scent is now beginning to resemble Typhon, with it's black musk and vetiver scent (the black musk adds a sleek deep sweetness to the gritty vetiver). The patchouli in here is also strong, it's very much like Mme Moriarty's dry smoky-woody patch, and it is on equal footing with the vetiver. It also has a nuttiness to it that reminds me of Erich Zahn's nutty musky vetiver. After a few hours the vetiver begins to turn distinctively metallic and smoky. And it gets stronger and stronger as the hours pass. That's a rare thing for a scent but the vetiver in here is powerful. It does turn slightly incense-y (heavier vetiver often does this and it's one of the nicer things about Evil V). I also wonder if the ginger here is red ginger (like in the SN and Moxie) as I get some asphalt in here too…and it smells like Brimstone now, though less rubbery/burnt. I preferred the amber-fruity-musky scent I got before. This vetiver needs the steel wool treatment…
Verdict: at first, this goaty guy smells surprisingly nice, and he's the lovechild of Typhon and Mme Moriarty. This scent has the deep musk and intense vetiver of Typhon, and the exotic incense-y patchouli and fruitiness of Mme Moriarty, with hints of amber popping up here and there. It is dark and quite sexy at this time, a lovely fruity vetiver musk with gritty, woodsy patchouli, smooth and powerful. However, vetiver does what it does best, and this Haitian vetiver is particularly potent, like it was in Samhainophobia…it amps up and strengthens even as the rest of the scent fades, and becomes the dominant note, all other notes are powerless when vetiver rules supreme (mwa-ha-ha!). It is one of the few scents where the scent doesn't taper off as usual, it strengthens surprisingly a bit after a few hours. It's a lot nicer than I expected, but in the end, it seems the vetiver in here is a little too much for me-I much prefer the 'manly Moriarty' stage I got at the beginning. I prefer the other amber-vetiver Salon II scent, Three Gorgons, to this.
Emoticon rating: :huh?:
Is it a keeper? not really. It's better than Malediction, but still too much vetiver for me, I'm afraid.
If you like this, try: Mme Moriarty, Typhon, Samhainophobia, Brimstone, Music of Erich Zahn, Two Monsters

In the vial: Man, Haitian vetiver is no joke. It is an overwhelming scent, although there is something smoked around the edges of this (perhaps the ginger?). I also get whiffs of patchouli on some of the sniffs. The hide-and-seek quality of the patchouli reminds me of Geek (in fact, this is sort of an odd mix of Geek and Lenore).

Wet: This is not just vetiver on me...in fact, the patchouli is surprisingly strong. While there is no leather in the blend, this has a lovely warmth and smoky quality.

Drydown and wear: This is not overpowering, but it has staying power. The musk note emerges a tiny bit as the scent wears, but it is not dominant (which is good, because I don't really like black musk in most blends). I really do think that this will be a scent I consider as a "replacement" for Geek (it doesn't have the resin of that scent, but...) when my bottles run out.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Dirt.

Pre-Review Thoughts: This sounds way too dark and heavy for me, but who knows...

In the imp: Vetiver, full stop. :P

On skin, wet: Oh, my. Vetiver, black musk, and patchouli. Three very iffy notes for me.

On skin, dry: Fruity, damp earth with a musky, green, woody undertone. Very... dirty.

Conclusion: This is one of the heaviest, darkest BPAL scents I've come across. It's... well, it's dirty. While earth-lovers will probably dig this something awful, it's just not my thing.

Often vetiver works on me. Sometimes vetiver is gorgeous on me. I have no axe to grind against vetiver

BUT

Something in this has a very medicinal top note. I don't know what it is, but it smells like I'm wearing ointment -in fact, it smells exactly like the elderly Germolene my Gran used to put on grazes when I was about six. Interesting memory but not a scent I want to wear!

First of all: Thanks, Laura, for offering your imp! :D

For me the experience is a bit vice-versa. While I do enjoy vetiver in small doses in other blends sometimes, it often retains that motor-oily quality and I cannot pull it off on any given day.

However, the vetiver in the Great He-Goat is quite different. As with all the Salons, the ingredients seem to be somewhat lighter - though not necessarily of short wearlength. They seem to be less bold and juicy (when talking florals or fruit) in a way, a bit more classical perfume wise.

The effect in the Great He-Goat is that the vetiver seems to be more of the grassy airy quality. Lighter and a bit dryer maybe than, say, the vetiver in Lenore (which I absolutely could NOT wear). It reminds me of Lush's vetiver, which I have always enjoyed a lot. I was thinking Middle Earth, or at times while wearing the Goat today even stuff like Fairy Jasmine. Yes, it's that soft and cozy on me. :D

Same is true for the black musk which often is another deal-breaker for me (though not so in Two Monsters, another soft Salon blend). While it with GC blends often turns into that rancy stale smell, I hardly notice it in the Salons. It's just barely there and the quality is a lot less heavy and cloying.

As for the other notes, they blend in perfectly, as everybody and their aunties has noticed before. I think I could definitely smell the ginger, and every once in a while I got a whiff of that fizzy bright pomegranate.

Although, this is not a heavy scent on me, it stayed with me all day. It mostly clings to my clothes, I think, and I felt it around me when I made sudden moves, entered a room, stopped my bike at the traffic lights...

I find it extremely comforting and grounding, and a perfect work scent, really, as it's so gender-neutral and non-cloying, yet has a supporting steady vibe to it that I so need to keep myself going these days.

One of the nicest gender-neutrals around IMO. :P

Edited by blu°

Well I'll be damned. This is the first vetiver-heavy blend that has actually worked on me. It's not single note vetiver on my skin for once. I could smell it the whole time it was on my skin, but it was generous enough to let other notes have the spotlight too. This is a very dark blend, with a slightly oil feel from the black musk. My skin chemistry automatically sweetens up every note, so the vetiver comes out less earthy and more sweet on me. The black patchouli is quite faint, but it anchors the rest of the notes, giving this a slightly earthy, antique feel. I don't get any carnation, but then I didn't expect to. Near the end of the day, I can catch a whiff of pomegranate. It's really unique. The throw is moderate, and it lasts all day long. If you're scared of vetiver, this might be the blend to change your mind. But apply lightly, this one is pretty potent, and a little will go a long way.

This one sounded sooooo good to me... He-Goat or not, anything with pomegranate and ginger and amber would have to be great on me.

And when I first put it on, it was indeed very nice, and not nearly as masculine as you might think. A little reminiscent of Blood Kiss and/or Voodoo, though not identical to either. A strong vetiver kick, but balanced out with sweetness and spiciness.

Unfortunately, that phase of it really didn't last long. The vetiver rose up and stomped all the other notes into submission. Which is sad, because I really liked it when I could smell all of it. Maybe it would be OK in a scent locket, if I had one...

I don't dislike vetiver, but I like it to be in balance with other notes, and when it takes over, it's just no fun any more.

Grade: C+/B-

In the imp: very dark-smoky rich earth - lots of vetiver and patchouli.

On me, wet: lots of dark smoky vetiver and earthy patchouli, and a burgeoning lightness in the background.

On me, dry: vetiver, and probably some other stuff behind it but mostly just vetiver.

Verdict: Bleh, stupid vetiver. Ah well.

This He-Goat is, well, great. But then, I lurve vetiver and patchouli.

In the imp: Patchouli.

Wet: Patchouli and vetiver dominate the strong throw. After a while, the pomegranate comes up through the heavy, dark patchouli -- is it Mme. Moriarty I'm reminded of here?

Drydown: The ginger and musk remain faintly in the background. It's still patchouli city on me (which, luckily, I am very fond of), with sharp vetiver. This is definitely different from Malediction, though; maybe the amber and musk keep everything smoothed out, and indeed, the drydown gets that powdery-amber thing fairly soon.

Verdict: Hate patchouli? Avoid the Goat. However, this is a complex blend with good subtleties in the notes closer to the skin, and this isn't your Dead Head parent's patchouli by a long shot.

imp: vetiver. sweet and smoky but still just vetiver.

wet: vetiver and patchouli. this is sweet and strong and dark, very nice interpretation of the painting.

dry: much more smoky once dry, this is very strong vetiver on me.

oh wow, i love this more than expected! in the imp all i can smell is vetiver and black musk, but this blooms beautifully on my skin- i get more carnation and ginger. the pomegranate adds a nice sweetness which tempers the earthy notes. this smells like it has a subtle leather note in it, but it must be the vetiver? not sure, but i love it. on the drydown it becomes leather + pomegranate, which sounds weird but is actually quite soft and nice. it's masculine but not too masculine, and i am adding this to my big bottle list.

Edited by theseagrows

This one is strange, but I love it.

Wet: ZOMG Pomegranate! Almost to a point of smelling like berrys and sunshine. Not what I was expecting!! I sense a little bit of musk here, but everything is behaving so far.

Drydown: The original "bright fruityness" has been slowly overtaken by a darker, earthier smell, like the rind of a pomegrante. Mmm. The vetiver creeps up in whisps every now and then, snuggling with the patchouli to create a very earthy, and animal smell. Mmm, fruitgoat. It's getting warmer and smoother as time goes on.

He doesn't so much match the He-Goat on the Rotting Christ shirt I'm wearing today, though *laugh*. I can't get this terrible image out of my head, of brushing the hair of an anthropomorphic goat and giving him little bows like a My Little Pony/Goatman. :P

Edit: Oh, and now about an hour or two later, it's mostly buttery amber with a hint of something dark and a tiny wiff of fruit. Still very nice!

Edited by Elilara

At first I can smell the vetiver and a light cologne. But without warning, the vetiver amps up and it becomes Vetiver Hell. Some vetiver scents work, some don't. This is the latter, unfortunately :P.

now i learn it is black musk that triggers my headaches in the darker bpal scents. just sniffing this from the imp created a biochemical moan in my right temporal lobe. nevertheless, i press onward...

wet, oh god - yuck the black musk. it's curling my lips.. wash it off! i love you bpal, but black musk pushes my limits.

On me, The Great He-Goat is almost all deep, dark vetiver and a little patchouli. Some amber comes out after half an hour or so, but I get no carnation, pomegranate or ginger, any of which I would have loved. I do like vetiver, and while this is a gorgeous vetiver it isn't complex enough to warrant buying a Salon bottle; I think there are equally nice vetivers among the regular GC blends. If I wanted this kind of scent I'd be more likely to reach for Umbra or A Countenance Foreboding Evil, so this will go off to the swap pile.

ETA: I bought this imp from a forumite and I suspect it may be well-aged, which may or may not account for differences between mine and the other reviews.

Edited by ClareN

Sharp at first. Very earthy.

All vetiver and patchouli, and the musk is not sweetening like it sometimes does. There seems to be something smoky or burned, but it isn't recognisable as ginger. No hint of pomegranite or carnation yet, but, I can hope.

Oh god, on wet, this smells like dirty goat. Sweaty animal. I bet it's the vetiver. :P

As it dries, I get less of the dirty animal smell and it's a sweeter amber and patchouli coming through.

So yes, sweet amber + dirty goat.

SCARY.

In the vial: Vetiver and something tart like fruit, but not at all sweet.

Wet: Vetiver with the warm sesame-like note I got off Bien Loin d'Ici. There's musk, something tart that might be the pomegranate, and some patchouli underneath it. There's also something I think is carnation.

Twenty minutes: Sharp, a little salty, but not leathery and not particularly dark. It's lost all pretension to warmth and sweetness, though. Even the patchouli isn't its usual welcoming self.

One hour: Vetiver and musk. Somehow this is much less intense than it sounds from the ingredient list. Black musk doesn't get very strong on me, but it does somehow smell a bit like an animal, at least in this blend. The vetiver is dominant, but not at all nasty or dirty, just kind of sharp and nose-tingly.

Two hours: Patchouli is overtaking the vetiver, and it's a very interesting blend right now. It's probably going to go over entirely to patchouli now.

Four hours: Patchouli, amber, subdued vetiver, and something else herby. I like this more now than I did, because I really wanted the fruit-patchouli combination. Probably won't keep it, though. But it's another example that I can sometimes wear vetiver, which is nice.

Decant: carnation and patchouli
Wet on Me: patchouli and carnation and some ginger
Drying Down: the dreaded death note of vetiver is
trying to turn this ugly on me. The patchouli is putting up a good fight.
Dry: there is still a war between the patchouli and the
vetiver. All the rest of the notes ran and hid. I think the Patchouli won.

I am beginning to think vetiver is winning me over. This was deliciously dark and smoky. The vetiver was a standout right from the beginning. Dry. As the blend settles on my skin, the carnation comes out to temper the vetiver nicely. The patchouli adds an earthiness here, and the pomegranate (or rather, hints of it) lend just a touch of sweetness. I don't get much of the blackened ginger at all, and the amber and musk come out later in the drydown to add some depth. Overall this is a very dark and ominous blend that lightens during wear. I like it!

Ye gods, I love this blend! It's dark and malevolent with enough bourbon to sweeten it up a bit (but not too much). Really reminds me of Sloth which I tried a day later. It's making my husband's allergies go nuts and he swears there's pine in it :huh: I'm not getting that, myself. Good throw and staying power. This vetiver really works!