Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SeaLady

Wolf Moon 2007

... This scent is that of unending, unquenchable hunger and feral madness. This is the dead of winter: a frozen night, chill wind, and the sharp, warm perfume of blood, fur, fang, and claw. Winter air, Terebinth pine, juniper berry, dusty orris, deep amber, white sandalwood, black musk, blue cedar, and tonka.

I remembered liking Wolf Moon in it's last incarnation, so I purchased it this time as well. Now I recall that I had let the bottle "sit" for awhile & I like it even better. As with many BPAL scents, the aged ones work much better with my chemistry. Time will tell how this one mellows.

Upon application, I smell the pine, the juniper berry, blue cedar & winter air accord first & foremost. It reminds me of the first few moments of stepping out your door on a cold, crispy, sunlight day. That "blast" of smells when you take your first few breaths.
Much more slowly, the sandalwood & amber reveal themselves & combine with the tonka (a "cousin" smell-wise of vanilla) to create an overall creaminess that is very unlike the inital evergreen air blast.
Finally, the orris (the rizome of the iris & longtime staple of fine fragrances & cosmetics, also very $$$$) combine with the deep amber & musk to complete the illusion of travelling. I am definitely reminded of a path walked through the woods on a cold day, leaving your own warm abode to pass through the winter chill and forest smells to arrive at the door of a very warm, sensual loved one.
Wolf Moon is, in short, a fragrance journey into memory.
Relax and enjoy!

Wolf Moon starts off like Snow Moon...just a tad stronger on the pine, but the berry note is just as sweet. After a few moments, the pine recedes a bit and the cedar peeks out, reminding me of that lovely note that makes Luperci so sexy! On me, this blend turns into Skadi/Snow Moon (both loves for me) with Luperci. Sexy indeed! :P

The first thing I smell with Wolf Moon is the pine and cedar. They're strong, but not overpowering. It's just like stepping outside on a cold, snowy morning in the middle of a forest. It's absolutely lovely, and I'm very glad I got a bottle.

Yay, another birth moon winner for me!

In the bottle: It smells like snowy woods with a hint of berry.

On my skin: Oh my God, it's Yuletide! Yuletide, but instead of the hint of holly you get the whole wintry forest as well. The berries on the holly bush instead of your living room, berry sweetness balanced with sharp woodsy evergreen. A wild, fresh Yuletide. Ooh, and it even morphs between the forest and the berry a bit...I feel like I'm in a log cabin in the mountains, it's that evocative.

I know I'm gushing, but this is wonderful.

I was not sure if I would like this one, but it is really quite nice! The pine note is on top, of course, and it is the traditional pine note that the lab uses in blends like Skadi and Golden Priapus. It's definitely a wintery smelling blend; I can close my eyes and breath in the cold air. The juniper berry is there, and it sweetens up Wolf Moon a bit, but not to the point where it is berrilicious at all. It has more of a spicy undertone, and I can also detect a certain "dusty, earthiness." It reminds me a bit of a toned down Skadi, without so much spiciness. Just lovely, somewhat masculine, and medium to strong throw. I think the hubbie will **love** this.

I'm getting juicy, sweet juniper and pine from this blend. It smells like the kind of woods I wouldn't mind being lost in :P This is a great winter blend with all the right amount of sweetness. I'm thinking this would smell great on my husband!

Pine and winter air. I cannot get other notes, but they are there, mellowing the pine. I like this scent very much, rejoice in my bottle, and am already thinking about hoarding it.

Nuts.

I opened the bottle and went "Oh, that smells FANTASTIC!" It was a gorgeous, well-balanced, woodsy-spicy scent. I couldn't wait to get it on my skin.

Well, I got it on my skin, and within 30 minutes it turned into Snow Moon. Strong screaming pine and nothing else. I smell like a Christmas tree. Damnit. It's not an unpleasant scent by any means, it just isn't something I would choose to smell like - and I wanted the glorious bottle-scent to be replicated on my skin. Phooey.

Editing - you know, the more I keep sniffing it, the more I think it may be workable. It's softer than Snow Moon somehow. I'm not sure if it's a person-scent for me, but I think it would be an absolutely gorgeous room scent. I'll update my review if I try it in the burner :P.

Editing again. Wore this the other day to my massage - I was in a piney mood, I guess. And what do you know, it smelled completely different on me. Hormones are funny like that :D. Smelled sweeter, and a lot more like the bottle-scent -- and actually, a few hours in on drydown I got something similar to the aquatic-fruity background of the last Wolf Moon. Go figure. Anyway, it smelled REALLY good. So maybe this is a scent that only really works on me at certain times of the month, but it was pretty nice the second time around.

Edited by Electra

Wolf Moon 07

In the bottle: hey, it's Beth's famous snow note! It's like Skadi etc but a little more pine-y and with a darker, sweeter undertone.

Wet on skin: the snow note, pine and juniper are strongest now.

Dry on skin: oh, this is lovely. It's very similar to the other Snow scents, with that distinctive accord of evergreens, menthol, ozone, aquatics, and sugared citrus that is so distinctive to Beth's winter scents. This one is less feminine than most other scents that are either named after snow goddesses, maidens, moons or bunnies. This is has a strong pine note and a hit of juniper which gives a wilder, more evergreen scent to it, almost along the lines of Talvikuu, but I also get a similarity to Schwarzer Mond (well, this is a moon scent) covered in snow. There's a sweet, deep mix of black musk, tonka and amber underneath it all.

After a while: now I smell the orris, that dusty, pale, powdery note which, with the sandalwood, enhances the whiteness of the snow scent, underneath the snow and pine, as well as the amber and musk, but of course, the winter air/snow note dominates. It now resembles the Darkling Thrush, but darkened, not as gentle and calm as DT, the juniper and pine add a sharp edge to this.

The drydown is juniper-dominated, a dry, sharp, icy evergreen scent, with pine and winter air still major players in here, but bits of orris and the barest hint of a Bitter Moon-like tonka note at the base. The cedar and sandalwood are also prevalent and add a drier aspect to a scent which started off smelling slushy. I wish I got more of the amber, musk and tonka though…

Verdict: this, to me, smells different to the original WM. Whilst the original was smokier, darker, muskier and with a scent of bonfires and evergreens (from what I remember), the new version is dominated by Beth's famous snow note, that instantly recognisable mix of ozone and aquatic with evergreens and candied citrus which gives the impression of cold icy slush. This seems to lean towards the more masculine end of the winter scents spectrum (many of the snow scents have been quite feminine by name or notes) thanks to the presence of strong pine and juniper notes, but there's a pale, woodsy and sweet background contrasting with the icy evergreens. It definitely evokes a cold snowy night in the woods, the icy silence broken by the howl of wolves. It's a very pleasant, unisex scent, very natural and outdoorsy, a nice mix of cold, woody, evergreen and musky-sweet, though I do wish the amber and other sweeter notes had come though more at the end. Since I have many of these snowy scents already, I don't need more of this, but I'm definitely keeping the bottle as I like this scent a great deal, and I prefer it to the previous Wolf Moon.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes! It's a nice addition to my collection of snowy scents.

If you like this, try: Snow Maiden, Loup Garou, Death of the Gravedigger, Dublin, Snow Bunny, Snow Moon, Darkling Thrush

This is DH's new favorite. He loves juniper, but had not found his holy grail BPAL juniper. This is it. To me, it begins smelling like a forest. I don't usually like the smell of pine, but this is not at all pine-sol like...it is fresh and real. What are the Christmas trees that smell like oranges if you rub the needles? Are they fir? I don't know, but WM has that same fruity air about it. The orris is lovely, one of my favorite notes, and as it dries, it takes on the scent of an Advent calender that I had as a child. This is a magical, Narnia evoking scent for me. Dry this is pure glory~brooding musk and glowing amber with winter air, like the hunter come home on a blustery evening. :P

I will be hunting down bottles.

This is very strong on the juniper berry on me - it is almost jarring - an unexpected weet fruityness that brightens what I had remembered as a deep dark blend. I want to let this age a little bit to see if it gets a little more animalistic and earthy. In the meantime, this is a nice fresh blend for the man of the house. :P

In the Bottle: predominantly pine and an airy sweetness

On the skin: this smell much like it did in the bottle, pine, juniper with an airy sweetness. I have a problem differentiating the Labs snowy blends – they all smell pretty much alike. That being said, this one is quite nice. While it is similar to Snow Moon, Snow Bunny and Talvikuu, it’s also similar to Golden Priaprus, which love. I think it’s somewhere in between, due to the amber, tonka and sandalwood which add a sweetness and warmth to the blend. From the snow blends, I this is one of my favorites. As it wears, the amber, sandalwood and tonka come forward, balancing the pine and juniper. In this respect it’s a lot like GP, with amber and sandalwood instead of vanilla. I wasn’t sure if I should order this but I’m glad that I did.

this starts off as a snowy-pine or snowy-fir scent with a hint of the juniper berry. once it dries, the snow mellows a bit and it gets more musky and resiny. i was dreading the cedar in this, but thankfully it didn't even make an appearance! i like this more than i thought i would, so i will keep my decant.

Wolf Moon is a forest in winter encapsulated into a bottle. I don't know how exactly it manages to convey that snowy pine and wind feeling, but it does. It is so very comforting to me because I really (scarily enough) miss winter and snow and the walks I used to take through snowy woods when I was living in Michigan.

This scent stays true on me from the bottle to my skin, as most foresty scents tend to do. It has lots and lots of throw, and does not go the least pit pine-sol-y. Phew!

What a gorgeous lunacy, and a great forest scent. Not to be missed!

I didn't care for Wolf Moon's last incarnation. It was okay, but 'air' and 'ozone' scents don't get along well with my skin. This year... I knew I'd like it and ordered two imps from a decant circle! I do like it! (and so does my DH)

I normally do my review without looking at the notes, so as you read this, know that my nose isn't all that refined yet! :P

in imp: pine & musk... perhaps not pine but juniper or cedar.

on wet: 11:33 - a bit more greenery. and a touch sweeter. That's not quite pine-sol, not quite christmas tree. a cirtusy overtone? and a solid musk base. I like it. Not a lot of throw...

drydown: 11:47 - the pine has turned to citrus overtones (blood orange maybe?) and a powdery brown musk... am I getting a hint of oude?

12:00 - ooh, that is just like oude. and cedar. Holy crap I'm glad I got 2 imps of this. I'm just sad it's not got a lot of waft.

Myk loves it too! the top note is still kind of citrussy, but not by a lot. This is dark damp dead wood. I might just need a bottle!

12:50 - reapply. spicy citrussy woods. hrm. still nummy. And again, dries down to cedar & sweet juniper & musk. it's not quite the copy of Wood Musk that I'm looking for... but it's A wood musk!!!

This is a three on my scale of one to three!

In vial: pine and juniper, a bit astringent.

wet: Pine and juniper, with a touch of amber

dry: The pine and juniper have lightened a bit, letting the sandalwood and tonka come out. It's a bit heavy on the woods for me, but nice anyway.

In the bottle: Kind of like Snow Moon, but with a sour, biting edge to it - not unpleasant at all, just not with the same sweetness that Snow Moon had.

Wet: Smells like outdoors in the winter - silvery wood, pine trees, cold air, stone. Oooh, this is one of those scents that strongly triggers memories for me! It's the same scent as early-morning horse shows in the winter had for me (that dark and cold scent of a winter morning before the sun rises), or the scent of a field during the first frost. I'm not doing this Moon's description justice, I think :D As it dries, the evergreen comes out more.

Dry: As it dries, the musk comes out more to add a bit of sweetness, but just a bit, and I'm glad, as I don't think a natural outdoorsy winter scent is necessarily "sweet". This retains it's cold outdoor quality and it's absolutely gorgeous. Best winter day scent! I'm so happy - this is what I was hoping Snow-Flakes would be (I ended up loving that for what it was), and now I've got my much hoped-for "cold winter day outside" scent. Thanks BPAL!! :P

Hooray for decant circles, or I'd never be able to afford anything!

In the imp, it smells kind of piney with bit of juniper going on also. There's something sharp about it though.

Wet on skin, the sharpness dissipates, and I get something that makes me think I'm breathing in the air outside in a forest in the dead of night when it's cold. No idea how this is being done, but ooh, it's good (:

Once dry, the sandalwood, amber, musk, and tonka come out to play. The juniper berry's still around, but it's less sharp now, and more ... fuzzy. That probably made no sense to anyone, but it's what I tend to get when amber and musk come out to play.

I don't know that it's particularly weather-appropriate for me to be wearing this in the height of summer in Melbourne, but it suits my mood today. I'm glad I have an imp for now (:

At first sniff, this is very piney, and very much along the same lines as Black Forest, Nocnitsa, and some of the Christmas-tree-esque Yule scents. But as it settles in, other layers of scent emerge. There's a deep, resinous, amber-musk warmth underlying it, and a touch of something sweet which is probably the juniper berry.

The promised "winter air" note worried me a little, not because I have anything against winter air - quite fond of it, really -- but because attempts to capture air and water scents in perfume usually end up being variants of the ozone note, which just smells like nasty chemicals to me. But thankfull it's not prominent here -- there's a faint undertone of the cold note from Talvikuu, but it's fairly subtle, and does not end up making it smell like chemical air freshener.

The more it settles into my skin, the more it becomes really luscious... The berry gives it an almost edible sweetness, and the layers of warm and cold, sweet and wild, make it nicely complex. I remember when I was on a personal quest for the perfect foresty scent, back in the early days of my BPAL addiction, before I figured out that forest scents for the most part don't work all that well on me. Hexennacht was the closest thing I found then... But I think this might actually be better. The perfect forest scent might have finally found me, now that I've stopped looking.

The only down side is that it doesn't last terribly long -- it's pretty much gone inside of two hours or so. But it's lovely enough to be worth re-applying.

Grade: A-/A

Wolf Moon 2006 - This opens up on me very strongly as a pine scent, but that's followed quickly by the sweet, warm scent of the juniper berries, which reminds me a lot of the holly berry used in Yule and Yuletide. There's a cool note that reminds of ... hmm... was it Talvikuu, Nuclear Winter, or Snow Moon (or all three)? As this warms up on my skin, the amber and creamy tonka notes begin to come out more, tempering the sharp twang of the "winter air" and the bite of the pine. Typical of pine blends, this doesn't last long on my skin, but it's very strong while it lasts. When it starts to fade, it completely disappears almost instantaneously. I'm not normally a fan of pine/evergree/fir/etc. scents, but this is yet another (like The Darkling Thrush) that I really like. I think it's that bright berry scent and the creamy tonka and warm, woody amber that save the pine in this. It's lovely.

I bought a decant of this for my husband, and it's the sexiest thing I've ever smelled on him. The woods are thick and sweet, and the musk adds complexity without making it overpowering. Usually I'm wary of scents with a long list of notes, but this is just sophisticated and perfect in every way.

This is also the only BPAL where he's actively wanted a bottle, rather than just kind of accepted me attacking him with a scent. :P

a perfect pine scent. in the woods at night, among the evergreens, the winter wind biting at your skin. i even like this more than my beloved Black Forest. it’s similar but more complex. the musk and amber add warmth, and it’s slightly sweetened by the tonka. this is the best men’s cologne i’ve ever smelled, but it’s really a unisex scent in my opinion.

This just came in the mail yesterday, and already both the girl and I are in love. On me, it's a dead ringer for Skadi (note - I haven't done a side by side comparison, but from my memory, it's identical). On her, it's much more piney and less sweet. Very different, but nice either way. I'm glad I splurged and bought an entire bottle.

This is the first lunacy blend I've ever purchased and I'm so happy I tried this one! There's a distinct feel of two phases - the first being very green and "piney", the second being a little bit sweet and musky. It's very evocative of a Winter forest - I had a chance to wear this when I worked outside on a couple of nights when the temperature was below freezing and this scent was the perfect accompaniment!

In the bottle: Pine and various woods.

Wet: Strong sharp pine, that smells slightly metallic from the "night air" I'm guessing. There's some kind of sweetish musk note in there which is reminiscent from the first Wolf Moon.

Drydown: It's a bit plasticky and waxy from the tonka, which pretty much dominates the blend. Pine is also very obvious, and it has the smell of Crayola crayons - like a Pine Crayola. Ick. After a while, the waxy smell does shift a bit, and now I get full-on sweet pine. I really don't get any other nuances, I'm guessing it's mostly pine and black musk on me.

Overall: I'm sad to say that this is really horrible on me. In fact, the musky scent combined with the woods... unfortunately it has a tiny "faeces" smell to me, much more than civet does. So, no, a world of no. I get the animalistic thing and the pine woods, but I'd never want to smell like this.