Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
magpiedee

The Unicorn

A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs.

This is a perfect spring/ early summer, light and cool, but on me its lasts really well.

In the imp: Light Herbs with some florals fliting beneath the surface.

Wet: The herby scent goes away, and its sparkling white gloriousness.

Drydown: I could just sniff myself all day...Mmm...this is a beautiful scent, something for a june wedding, or a light summer picnic. It's beautiful.

I really enjoy this one. Bright white and crisp. It has a pure quality to it. A very white, crystal scent. I might just have to get a big bottle of this one.

There's a pale musky-herby layer here which I LOVE, but there's also a sharp, soapy floral layer that doesn't agree with me. This scent bears more wearing, as I refuse to let this partially gorgeous scent slip away :P

In the bottle The Unicorn smelled VERY strong and nearly astringent with a hint of fizziness. Wet, it was berries and some fizziness, which smoothed out to a sweet floral. I'm not positive I love it on my skin, but it might be a keeper in a scent locket or on my clothes.

ETA, several days later:

I am SO getting a bottle of this. (In fact, I have one coming from chopchica!) :P

Edited by eisoj5

In the Bottle: Very sweet. Candy syrup sweet almost.

On Skin: I smell like a Jolly Rancher watermelon candy! Eep! :P It calms down a bit after a while but its still sugary sweet.

On Drydown: I smell some of the whispy flowers now. There is something very clean to it.

Verdict: Watermelong + Flowers = Not ME. But hopefully, somebody else will love it more than I do.

Smells sweet & herbal at first, also smells of light white florals/linens. It has a clean quality to it, almost soap, but not quite. Sweet, but not fruity, tiny bit of herbal greenery that fades when it dries. It's very pure & innocent, clean & bright. It's a simple scent.

Imp, but probably not a bottle.

jumpin jee-ho-seh-fat!!

yummy berry/floral/minty goodness....lusciously, light and sweet and a perfect summertime blend for uber hot days....lasting power is sadly "zippo" for me....

darn,darn,darn :P

i'd probably love the unicorn a whole lot more if she lasted longer *sigh*

Edited by sookster

This is very similar to The Dormouse on me, but sweeter overall. I don't get a strong sense of anything green in this, except perhaps for the freshness. This is just incredibly light and sweet and, yes, innocent.

It actually does remind me a bit of the movie "Legend", and the scenes where you first see the unicorns. There's just a quality to the lighting and the way the forest seems to glow around them, that's captured in this scent.

First Impression: Aquatic and floral - probably white flowers.

Dries down to: A very subtle, fresh, delicate floral.

Additional Comments: I love this scent - linden blossoms are one of my favourite flowers. This would be gorgeous on a young girl going to her first fancy party or dance, but it's too light and innocent for me to wear, so I'll probably use it in a scent locket to get the most out of the scent.

Lasted: An hour or so.

Rating: 3 out of 5

Ooh. This is gorgeous. Soft and flowery, but not annoyingly so. Smells a bit like a just bathed baby sitting by a garden.

this smells like a bunch of fresh white flowers mixed with wine or grapes. maybe some blackberries, too. it’s cool and misty, like the description says. i’m not sure what linden smells like but i’m going to seek out other scents that contain it, because this is so crisp and refreshing.

Bottle: Surprisingly sweet, almost fruity. Very pretty and lighthearted sweet scent. The sweetness surprised me, as I was expecting more herbal/grassy notes. I like surprises.

On, wet: Sweet and light, takes on an almost citrus note for a very small time. Its slightly powdery, but smells sweet and clean. It's also a hint bubblegummy--a lot going on in this one.

Dry: Very sweet and green, the citrus is gone. Its like a sweet flower (similar to honeysuckle, but not)--imagine a flower dripping with sweet syrupy dew. It's still a hint bubblegum-fruity to my nose.

Overall: This doesn't last very long on my skin, but while there it's syrupy, green and light--surprising. Somewhere towards the end of this experience, I decided this reminded me of the very sweet cleaner smell you'll sometimes catch wind of in places like fancy restaurants (wish I could be more specific). This scent was confusingly complex--green, syrup, floral, citrus, bubblegum, fruit--amazing considering the relatively simple description! I think I will come back to smell this again later. It captures me in some ways and not in others, and I just can't decide whether to keep it or not.

:P

The Unicorn made me sad. I ordered it for the linden blossom and I have been longing to try it ever since because that is one of my favourite scents, and it is hard to find. But I don't get a drop of linden from this. Oh dear.

It makes me kind of mad at the scent which is too bad because what is there is really lovely and it is the kind of scent I'd be all over if I hadn't had such huge expectations of something else. It is a fruity, juicy, aquatic with bubblegummy overtones (lotus?). It reminds me a little of the Hesperides with another fruit replacing the apple and it also reminds me of Dirty, except a little sweeter and softer. Anyone who likes those two scents will probably like this. Just don't expect any linden. Oh woe and alack.

:P

I think I should put it away until next spring to appreciate it on its own terms.

The Unicorn

freebie from the lab

in vial: smells very medicinal

wet: cough drops and florals

dry: the medicine-cough drop smell disappears and this turns into a soft, herbal-floral scent...lasts about 3 hours

verdict: this is nice, but not exciting or long-lasting enough to temp me to buy a large bottle...I will use up my imp, though

BOTTLE SNIFF: Smells a bit citrusy, and a bit herbal (bitter note)

WET ON SKIN: Turns remarkably similar to 7-Up, with a light floral underscent.

DRYDOWN: Lemony fresh! Very light, lemony floral -- with a lemon-rind smell as well -- probably that bitter herbal note again.

Lovely and soft, but fades very fast on my skin, and I do not typically like florals (though I am trying to broaden).

at first: sweet, fresh, and pretty.

on: very nice. bright. it reminds me of the star, even though it doesn't smell like it. fruity, but in a pineapple-y sort of way.

1 hour later: a very fruitily sweet floral. reminiscent of lotus, but...i really don't think it has lotus in it.

4 hours later: light. very faint. slightly powdery.

overall: this is nice, but i have other bright scents that i like better.

ahhh this is very soft and pretty. In the vial it smells almost fruity or even like bubblegum. On my skin it dries to soft, light flowers. I'm glad it wasn't too herbal. It fades quickly on me though, unfortunately. I might just have to slather it as it's a keeper.

Edited by brownbear

I really want to love this one, as I believe in unicorns. I used to collect them, and still have some of the most beautiful ones. As well, I have a wonderful silk screen of a unicorn, decked out in garlands of forest flowers. I am really hoping I get that picture in this scent.

Sniffing the imp: Ewww…Cherry cough medicine! Where on earth did that come from? :D

Wet on wrist: Oh, this is better. A floral is coming through. Mmm…a white floral, which I love. And something sweet, too! Must be the herbs.

Drier: This is drying down into a sweet candy smell. I can see giving this to my 12 year old niece to wear. It is a little too sweet for my tastes, but very much embodies the spirit of playfulness and innocence. Oh my! I was about to put this one into the swap pile, when the florals came back and pretty fast, too! Maybe this one will be a keeper.

Dry: The Unicorn has dried down into the sweetness from before. The little girl who lives downstairs from me comes up to admire my unicorn and fairy collection. She draws me beautiful pictures of them in their realm. This scent is now invoking those sweet memories of her and I and of the times we have spent, together. :D

Oh! Another beautiful memory just came back! It is the 1970’s and I am 12 years old, and in the musical supply store that my beloved father worked at. :P

He and I are at the counter, and I am buying my first 45 record, which is The Unicorn, by the Irish Rovers! While, it is more likely the name of the scent and not the scent itself that is invoking these memories, it is sure nice to have them. Although, when I was 12, I was probably wearing Love’s Baby Soft cologne, and this smells similar to what I remember!

I do think it is too sweet for me to wear (giving my sinuses a workout, now!), but I want to thank the Unicorn for the memories, and this will be passed on to my niece (who also has a wonderful, musical Dad – my brother!) to make some memories of her own.

In the imp...sweet and grapish. Maybe a light herbal smell.

Wet on my skin...sweet but not fruity.. kind of like a newly bloomed wildflower. The herbal undertone is almost a little bit minty.

As it dries, the herbal comes out more and more... but in a white way. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I can't think of another way to describe it. The herbals aren't particularly green, they're very airy and bright and... white? smelling. This is a lovely scent that sparkles with innocence and goodwill. What a perfect scent to depict a unicorn.

A frimp from the lab. The Unicorn is a nice and crisp, lightly fruity floral.

Quite lovely but nothing wonderful. I would like it a lot if I smelled it on someone else. It also didn't have too much lasting power on me.

I liked it but it's not big bottle worthy. And I'm not even sure if I'll keep the imp, I may try to swap it. I can't help but think that for someone else, this could be the perfect scent. But just not for me.

The Unicorn

In the imp: a light, sweet, almost fruity floral with a greenness, it smells like spring.

Wet on skin: greens and florals…

Dry on skin: oooh, I like this a lot. A lovely soft floral with a little bit of green. It's sweet and slightly fruity. I'm getting a gentle spring like blossom scent that may be linden. There may be sage here too, maybe honeysuckle, jasmine, lily of the valley? It's very feminine and pure, has a feel of innocent.

After a while: the floral scent becomes fuller and stronger whilst still retaining it's gentleness. This is the scent of springtime, and it's beautiful. there's a slightly dry aspect to the scent which reminds me of herbal tea for some weird reason.

Verdict: this is a light white floral blend of stunning beauty, to me, it epitomises springtime. It is the warm spring sun touching delicate, fragrant blossoms, and soft herbs, grass and leaves. It's full and rounded, and has a nice dry crispness to it as well, and with a feeling of purity. I think this will be my scent for spring, and I'll get a bottle of it.

Is it wrong that I want to have The Unicorn's love child? The symbolism of the unicorn would answer "yes," but frankly, I'm so blissed out right now, I couldn't care less.

I was so excited when it arrived today, that I washed off the Spooky I was wearing. Yes, the Spooky that I adore, and have been jealously amassing and hoarding since I discovered bpal only two months ago.

ITB: linden, perfect fresh linden, just as I had hoped.

Wet: A bit sharper, yet sweet still.

Dry: Ooooohhh my. First, allow me to preface: I am a huge linden fan. I have been known to hang out on street corners, sniffing the air when the lindens are in bloom. Therefore, I was seriously all over this scent when I read the description, and bought a 5ml, unsniffed. Also, I had therefore braced myself against the possibility that it would go all wonky on my skin. I should have known The Unicorn would not disappoint.

Even DH, whose best reviews of bpal scents so far has been, "better than most," (Bearded Lady and Numb) said: "I like this one!"

This is such a heartbreakingly beautiful, wistful scent on me, that it literally brought tears to my eyes. It is linden blossom, but linden blossom enhanced by delicate florals and rounded with gentle herbs. It is a perfect, utterly delightful expression of The Unicorn. Thank you, Beth. I am truly moved by this scent.

I love how BPAL scents always so perfectly capture the mood and feeling of what they are representing. This is the perfect scent representation of a nimble footed, sparkling white, magical unicorn. Gentle, beautiful and illusive. You can close your eyes and imagine a brilliant white unicorn standing next to a glittering stream as flower petals rain down around him.

This one is actually pretty strong on me. It lasted about 8 hours and had a lot of throw... I applied it pretty heavily though.

The Unicorn smells like delicate green herbs and pretty, perfumey white flower petals. But underneath those smells are a honeyed sweetness and a light dash of something aquatic. It's amazing. Everything in it feels like a light touch, with no one note overtaking the blend.

Sadly, as much as I appreciate this scent, it's not really me. I'll never be able to pull off the perfumey floral bit. Still... this is so lovely.

'Twas very strong on me, and sweet, like green candy. I don't think I could smell linden flowers at all. :P

Swapped.