Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ajcj213499

White Moon

The chill winds and dark skies of November mark a time of reflection and release, and though the sting of grief is oft-times most painful during this portion of the year, the icy air brings clarity and eases the burden of suffering. These are the blossoms of loss and liberation, soothed by the calm, comforting scent of sandalwood : lilac, calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, moonflower, night musk, phlox, and violet.

White Moon is instalove for me. In the beginning, it was completely lilac and wisteria. Overpoweringly so, actually. Not that having those two notes dominate bother me.

However, the lilac and wisteria didn't stay at the top. The musk deepens the floral mixture and lily and violet come out to say hi. I see light purple and shades of gray like one could see at sunset when I smell White Moon.

This perfume is charming and enchanting. Never grandma and never powdery. I would say this a very womanly perfume and not for someone who is worried about offending others with her floralness.

I'd really been sorry that I'd missed White Moon when it was originally available from the lab, so I was thrilled to recently win an eBay auction for a bottle of my very own. This is indeed a lovely scent.

I see a couple of people comparing this to Asphodel, and I can see why since the two certainly fit into the same mental category for me. However, Asphodel to me has a green, fresh, rather springy undertone to it that White Moon lacks... at least to my nose as it smells this blended with my skin chemistry. White Moon actually smells "white" and feminine and gentle to me. The florals are definitely dominant in this. I smell the lily and violet right away especially. I also get the musk in the background deepening this and adding complexity to its overall floral tone.

What is really selling me White Moon and setting apart from the other white florals I own is the fact that it smells vaguely "sugared" to me... almost vanilla-esque but not quite. Perhaps it's the phlox? I understand it can do that to a blend. I love white florals as it is, but when they contain anything that is sugary and soft as well, I melt. White Moon is just beautiful. I'm so glad I won this bottle. I can tell it will be a spring/summer staple without a doubt.

Edited by glass_cat

What attracted me to this scent was the calla lily. I was very excited to be able to obtain a bottle of this wonderful scent. It is a very nice, light floral happy green scent. It is very uplifting in a strange way because I have always associated calla lilies and wisterias with funerals. The softness of the violets and lilac coupled with the musk make this a fabulous and must have fragrance. :P

This is a very flower heavy scent, but not really in a bad way. I usually don't like scents that are very flower heavy, but I kinda like this one.

In Bottle: I mostly smell the wisteria and the lilies with a little bit of lilac in the background.

Wet: I get lots of lilies, and some night musk. It's very heady, and reminds me of a funeral arangment.

Dry: The scent has dampened. I still get all of the elements above, but they are softer more faded.

It's a very sad scent, and it reminds me of all of those dear to me who I've lost.

White moon is cool and refreshing and perfect. It captures the essence of lying in a field under a full moon, watching the stars (my favorite summertime camping activity). The white flowers are intoxicating and gentle at the same time. Heady and lush but not overpowering. I can't pick out the individual notes, and I don't want to. This perfume just smells like what the full moon should smell like.

I'm so glad I found a bottle of this for sale. :P

When I got White Moon, I tried it amongst some other things and it got lost in the sniffle.

Then I promptly forgot about it until now, even though I wear and love the t-shirt, which I think is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

Today I had the shirt on and decided to pull out White Moon...oh dear.

There is lily (which I normally love)...but there's also something green, which I don't. In addition, Violet, which I dislike, amps up on me something fierce, and does so in this blend to a large extent. Everything combines into a green and violet baby powder on me. Ewwww.

The shirt stays, the bottle goes.

Of course…I had to buy White Moon. Lilac being my favorite floral of almost all time..this had to come to me. I also found the description very appropro..I have found myself at times during my life dealing with heavy blows..and have always found solace and cleansing with the winter winds and stark white landscapes. It has always brought me peace from within..and well..this blend seemed to have the promise of representing in fragrance what I have always felt inside.

I love lilac, lily, sandalwood and moonflower. Violet and I are hit or miss..but I am ready to dive in.

Initial sniff from bottle: Sweetness…I think it’s the violet and wisteria and moonflower..not so much the lilac..and that’s fine. Hopefully I will get more of my beloved bloom once I apply it on the skin.

Applied wet on skin: Hmmm…still more wisteria, lily,violet, and moonflower..I get a touch more lilac..but it isn’t in the forefront. A wisp of sandalwood in the back.

Couple of minutes:It’s lily driven..but I do get flashes of lilac…and the wisteria/violet/phlox trio is playing softly in the background. It’s a quiet floral…really just beautiful. The sandalwood is under everything…giving it a bit of depth but I have to say..I don’t get much of the musk right now.

This really smells stellar…the moonflower/violet/phlox adding their touches of sweetness..the lily and lilac doing their soft dance..it’s just so graceful and beautiful.

Ten minutes later:Lilac shows up front and center..but then I lose her with the other blooms..but it really doesn’t matter..the bouquet of all of them works wonderfully on me. I don’t really get any “green” note as other people..on me it’s all florals, sandalwood and a touch of musk.

Thirty minutes later:Lily and lilac..softened with the violet sweetening up the duo a bit over the sandalwood base. Luckily for me violet isn’t amping up to the point of powder overload..in this blend it has behaved beautifully.

Drydown: Bare hint of floral over the last remnants of sandalwood.

Lasting power 3+ hours with throw soft to average.

Bottom Line:White Moon is indeed a graceful and stirring floral. The notes worked so seamlessly with eachother that the end result on me was just a singularly clear floral that encapsulated the remote beauty of the white moon. A bit quiet but also comforting. I loved wearing this in early summer but I think it will be achingly beautiful in the winter as well. There is something about this blends that represents the release of tears and sorrow..that “release” is White Moon.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed White Moon yet.

White florals are dangerous ground for me, but this scent is all about the Lilacs; heady, rich lilacs. Usually violet and Lily are just too much for me and amp like crazy, but here they take a backseat to the Lilac. The rest of the flowers are also whispering in the background. This isn't a height of spring scent however, but instead is the fading memory of one in late fall. What is revealed on the wrist is a scent that makes me picture purple clouds. It's misty and pale, the Sandlewood grounds it with warmth and green, and keeps the sweetness from getting to sickly. It is prefect to wear on a rainy day.

Weirdly flat and oddly familiar. The night musk, lilac and the violet certainly create some odd contrasts. Violet is such a young smelling thing while the musk and some of the other floral elements drag it into sensual night garden. I am thinking of a Horace poem where a boy chases a laughing girl into a garden to snatch a token from her. It simply does not evoke novembrer for me.

This is mostly lily on me, as many of the cool-floral-moon-blends are, but White Moon is a little different, because I like it more.

Yeah. Um, isn't that a sophisticated review?

Wet, this scent is true-to-life lilac, and it's just so gorgeous. Smells like spring at my mom's house! The lilac fades after about 15 minutes with my chemistry. It's not too unfortunate though, because the subsequent stages are also beautiful.

I usually find that lily amps like crazy on me, and is a little too fresh and green and sharp. However, in White Moon, it is tamed (although not dominated) by the softer companion notes (musk, wisteria). I don't get much violet or lilac from White Moon, but their role in the background helps to take the edge off the calla lily so I can enjoy it. The sandalwood is extremely faint and not really noticeable to me.

I do like this....I'm not sure if I need the whole bottle, but time will tell : -)

3.8 out of 5

Edited by AEris

WHITE MOON

This is a very pretty floral blend. It is very heady and strong, but not in a perfumey sense. Instead it is an intoxicating aroma of sweet, melancholy, calming florals. The lilac dominates this blend, followed by the lilies, the sandalwood, and the moonflower. This has a very cool, white, pale lavender "color". I find it comforting, calming, and a bit sad. It goes so well with the description.

At first I smell a cool, clean floral. Not what I'd call a laundry clean, but it does smell vaguely soapy. The lily and violet are the most prominent of the florals. But they are still very subdued. They are so light that they never even turn powdery or creamy. It's like they have been stripped of their color and vibrancy. There's a gentle green note that adds freshness and injects some life into the overall washed out feeling of the florals. I never detect the sandalwood.

This whole fragrance feels very contained. It fades quickly and becomes almost nondescript. Only a vague sensation of cleanliness remains. Like freshly soaped skin.

This has me very torn. I love the moonflower note, but I'm beginning to think that phlox and I don't get along.

At the beginning, this is a very sharp white floral. Nothing distinctive. As it dries, I get more of the moonflower note and it does become more gentle, but there is still this underlying 'whiff' of something very very sharp.

In the end, I don't think this blend is for me. Off to swaps it goes.

First sniff: Tall, graceful, somber flowers. The lily is at the forefront with its big fleshy petals.

Wearing: Goes to powder pretty quickly, alas. It’s a deep, soft powder, not your average floofy talcum scent, but it’s still too powdery for my taste.

A decant of White Moon came my way at the last M n' S, and I didn't realize it was such a long-ago Lunacy. Now I'm excited to try it! The notes sound lovely. Ergh, but there's some sharp lavender when it's wet; it's fighting with a softer floral bouquet beneath. It's just not quite working for me; I *love* moonflower and violet, wisteria, and lilac, but I only get hints of any of them because there's a sharp, pushy note in the front. That's a real shame, but I do have other moonflower blends that I love, esp. Evening Star, so it's no biggie.

In the imp: Mixed flowers, sweet flowers, with none particularly dominant.

Wet: Violet, maybe? Yeah, I think it's mostly violet now. Violet and green-flower, like the smell of a flower stem.

Drying: Sadly, it's just sorta mixed flowers, with violet predominating. No lilac at all.

In the bottle: Woodsy-floral, a bit heady.

Wet: Clean, almost soapy. More-floral heady, but overall, this is not a very strong oil. The lilac is coming out and it's quite nice.

Dry: Powdery lilac.

Summary: Never any hints of musk, and the sandalwood didn't come out for me. There was also some floral scent I didn't like from the beginning - I think wisteria.

Yes, I later learned that wisteria = powdery doom.

This one is so right on. It smells like night time in november. It's calm, comforting and beautiful. I smell candles burning. The sandalwood must be blending perfectly with the florals to create this lovely scent. I honestly can't pick anything out. Maybe just the moonflower. It's gorgeous.

Bottle: Really light but nonetheless perfumey florals.

Wet: sweet, light florals with a bitter edge that I associate with violet scents.

Drying: Goes a bit soapy.

Dry: I'm not a floral gal, so this is just a light, non-descript floral to my nose. Its clean, a little soapy, and fairly unexciting. Fades substantially after only an hourand is gone in 3.

Overall: Pretty but not for me. Off to the swap pile...

In the bottle: violet, wisteria and lily, musk.

Wet on the skin: wow, lilacs and moonflower with more violet and wisteria.

Drydown: a soothing deep moonflower and lilac note over a quiet sandalwood base. There is no cacaphony of floral scents to overpower. This is a strongly unified scent. Almost sorrowful and melancholic. Never powdery or soapy on me.

Verdict: Another stellar blend. I wore this to bed last night and was totally comforted by its grace and beauty. The florals are all soft--more like the memory of flowers that lie close to the skin.The traces left over this morning linger with moonflower.

:P

In vial: pale, woody floral. Tickles my nose.

Wet on skin: dry. Violet and lilac are quite prominent. In mood it's similar to Lune Noire and White Phoenix. Powdery. Night musk appears to be a pale, moonlit, musk.

Dry on skin: dry, pale sandalwood and musk with moonlit florals. Fades and mellows fairly quickly, and I like the mellowed version better, but this isn't for me!

I can't believe I've never reviewed this...the best lilac scent I've ever found, tempered by the sandalwood and other white blossoms. Like a fresh cut branch of lilac still wet from the dew.