Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ajcj213499

White Moon

The chill winds and dark skies of November mark a time of reflection and release, and though the sting of grief is oft-times most painful during this portion of the year, the icy air brings clarity and eases the burden of suffering. These are the blossoms of loss and liberation, soothed by the calm, comforting scent of sandalwood : lilac, calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, moonflower, night musk, phlox, and violet.

This blend like others have said before is the cool and floral blend. The sandlewood stays throughout the blend what seems to bind the flower notes to keep them from going out of control. Each flower stays its course without really trying to dominate one another, the moon flower briefly giving the blend a watery edge. It's comforting and cool, something that one contemplates the mourning tone this oil gives. It doesn't have much throw but sticks close to the skin. I'm glad I got to try it but I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

It may be great in an oil burner. Edited by Shollin

A very white scent indeed. This is a very light, lily floral scent. It's very feminine and perfumey and reminds me of expensive women's perfume you'd buy at a perfume counter. It's lovely and light, and darkened only by a slight hint of the violet note. It doesn't have a lot of throw or sticking power, and is fleeting like the white moon herself. A lovely scent, just not quite my style.

Very white, a lot of lilies and lilacs, but the same green note everyone is mentioning. Very evocative - the association with grief and mourning is apt, but it is in no way a comfort scent. It's pretty, but I think I really can't get away with strong florals like this one, so I'll be swapping it.

In the bottle: Gorgeous florals, the lilac… very nice!

On skin, wet: Stops being so floral and that green note others talked about emerges. If it stays like this, I’m going to love it! It’s a very sharp, high, sweet green note that tickles up high in my nose. That sounds very odd, I realize, but it is very nice. I just keep breathing it in. It’s so fresh smelling.

On skin, dry: It has kept that green note, with the florals blending nicely behind it. I love this! I wish I had bought two bottles now!

Drydown: This has a great throw, and lingers with a warm distance after the sharp ‘greenness’ wears off. It smells like a midnight walk through a garden full of light floral blooms on a clear icy night. There is a solitude and clarity to this scent, but also the comfort of the familiar scents in there.

Conclusion: I think I’ll be wearing this one often. Definitely a keeper. Now I just have to wait for my shirt to come with that gorgeous artwork!

I just received White Moon last night, so today is my first test run. I'm not really decided on it yet. Florals aren't usually my thing, but these notes are lovely and soft. Underneath the florals, though, there's a sharpness that's tough to describe. It's almost like the clean smell of a really cold and snowy morning, which I suppose is appropriate for a November scent. I'll see how I like it as the day goes on. I don't think it'll ever be a favorite, but it's something I might wear now and again.

Lily then lilac. I'm not a huge fan of lily so I wish there was more lilac in here. Nonetheless, this is the first bpal that I notice the lilac and that makes me happy.

Once this dries a green sappy scent comes from below. It's like when you break a leaf or a fresh budding branch and the gooey stuff that comes out. The sandalwood combined with the lily is creating a some powdered soap effect too.

This smells ok but once the dry down hits my lilac is gone :P

I wanted to add that it reminds me of Beltane 2005. There was a flower in that that was sour to my nose and I get it here too...must be the lily. I am crushed this didn't work, I was so excited about it.

Edited by Rheliwen

gorgeous!

wet - lilac, violet and musk - seems to be an almost pale lavender

dry - the floral tones down and it starts to turn green but the lilac and violet remain. The sandalwood never shows up - which for me is a GOOD thing.

It is very pretty but I almost like the wet version more than the dry. I will still keep this as it is perfect for the hellish humid climate here.

In the bottle: lilac. Lovely. I'm not used to lilac in Bpal scents, so that's very welcome.

On my skin: lilac and lilies. Very elegant. It has something green as well, but I'm unable to figure out what exactly.

After a couple of hours: a very soft lilac… it's white indeed with a touch of light purple (erm well, lilac, I mean). The green has totally vanished.

Verdict: it's a very peaceful scent (and elegant as I said before). I was hoping for more violets though. I have to try it once more before deciding whether I keep it or not

Oh this is just lovely. Every time I sniff it I think I smell a different flower. It's light and clear, soft, wistful, beautifully clasically feminine. Just stunning. :P

In the bottle: Mmm...fresh, floral, and lovely - like rain-spattered lilacs and lilies. I can smell the sharp green sweetness of the white sandalwood, too.

On wet: Bright, sweet florals - still primarily lilacs and lilies. The sandalwood remains sharp and almost bitter against the softness of the flowers.

Drydown: Floral jumble! The scent I'm getting now is sweet, perfume-y, and expensive-smelling - a showy mix of elegant blooms, underscored by a watery green freshness that I continue to attribute to the sandalwood and now the musk. The musk is light and bright and sparkly. :P

Overall: This is an extremely pretty blend for a floral fan, and definitely feels reminiscent of both Urania and Stardust. As I tend to favour warmer, spicier, less "fresh" fragrances, I don't think WM will get much wear from me. Even still, a very nice composition. 3/5

At first I thought this smelled like generic lilac candles, and then I got was sharp white flowers and lots of lilies. It wasn't done changing there, though - a green note crept out that was both crisp and frustratingly detergent-like, peeking out between the sweet and slightly soapy lily and the now-humid and decadent lilac. One second I'd be swooning, and the next wrinkling my nose.

It finally settled down to a light, clean, powdery, ladylike floral (the kind that makes you go "Ahhh! Pretty!" every time your wrist happens to waft it near your face), which I have, like the person above, liked more and more with each wear.

Overall, I'm taken in by the mystery of this light and slightly green fragrance - it is eminently pleasant, but also keeps me guessing, like a woman dressed smartly in Chanel who knows just the way to break hearts and take names. Its sharp, slightly aquatic, and sweetly comforting quality is perfect for times when I want a crisp, clean scent (and a bit of olfactory entertainment). The sharp yet subtle lily note is everything I wanted to like about Kostnice, without the astringent floor-cleaner quality the latter has.

It really takes a lot to show up on my skin, too.

EDIT -

The vacillation continued until I could take no more. After having tried for a while, I just couldn't handle the sharpness of it - it doesn't go with my skin. It's close, but not it, so I must swap - I already have so many other bottles in circulation, you see.

Edited by LadyMedb

I ordered an imp of White Moon through a decant circle because while I love sandalwood and violet, lilly is usually a deal breaker for me.

In the vial: Super floral.

Wet: Oh, no. Here comes the lilly.

Dry: The lilly overpowered everything. This scent was long lasting and had lots of throw. After wearing it for about four hours the lilly finally settled down and the sandalwood gave the scent a lovely softness and I could smell the depth of the violet. I am happy that I got to try this scent, but, alas it is not for me.

This is a very refined, soft, creamy floral. It's light and stays close to the skin, and it's really quite beautiful. I can't pick out the individual floral notes, but thankfully, none of them turn soapy on my skin. I'm glad to have this and will probably keep one of the two bottles I ordered.

I knew this would be way too floral for me to wear, but I really wanted to have the bottle with the pretty label and a couple decants of the oil......and I'm *so* glad I did!

True, this is very floral with the lily up front and so not me.....but.......this scent somehow triggers a pleasant scent memory which also saddens me, because those times will never return........very much in the spirit of this scent I think.....Loss and Liberation and soothing at the same time, yes, that's exactly it (Beth is really a genius)

So I will keep this and wear it when I'm feeling melancholic.......

Mmm, pure florals. I think I'm getting the lilac the most. It smells fresh and clean, much like an actual flower. It's very feminine and lovely. I like (the quite similar) Kindly Moon more, but White Moon is stronger. Yummy scent for floral fans.

Bottle: exquisite. the florals are translucent and mysterious.

Wet: same, the violet, phlox, and lily are really spotlighted.

Dry: the phlox, the lilac...its my mother's backyard at dusk in the spring...

Later: the lily is amping as it's wont to do, but although it's now taking on a sort of old-ladyish edge to it...it's still so very pretty. I'll have to take this on another trial run before I decide whether it loves me or only likes me as a friend. :P

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Calla lily.

Pre-review thoughts: Calla lily is pure evil. I'm not on speaking terms with lilac or violet, either, but they don't hold a candle to calla lily.

In the imp: Lilac and calla lily. Unspurpsingly floral.

On skin, wet: White, waxy, absolutely evil calla lily.

On skin, dry: I can't explain exactly why I dislike calla lily so. It's... a very plastic, waxy, almost chemical-like smell. It's not just BPAL's calla lily, either, so it's nothing against the Lab. There's just the barest hint of lilac beneath the lily, but it doesn't stand a chance. The musk might be faring better, but then again, I can't be sure that's not also the lily.

Conclusion/Notes: Others seem to love this, so I'm sure that on everyone else but me, it's a lovely floral. As I've mentioned, it's a calla lily single note on me.

straight sniff from bottle is lilac...all lilac...

once applied the florals amp up making this a perfume for a very

sophisticated grand dame...very heady, very strong...not for me...

if only the sandalwood would come through just a teeny bit

...this is the only violet blend from the lab i have tried to date that

just does not work :P

i will put this away for awhile and see if this mellows up a bit and maybe

try it again in the springtime...*sigh*

White Moon

In the bottle: lilies, lilacs and wisteria. Very beautiful, mournful flowers.

Wet on skin: lilac and wisteria now. they are a little sharp but seem to behave on the skin.

Dry on skin: mmm, interesting. it's mainly lilac and wisteria me with hints of lily, clear moonflower, and dusty violet. I quite like this. it doesn't seem to be turning soapy or dry on me so far too and the wisteria isn't going nasty on my skin. This brings to mind pale purple and white, it is a very lunar scent indeed. Pure, clean whiteness with a hint of lilac. And yes, it does have a mournful feel to it, and it reminds me of Veil and some of the Funereal Oils.

After a while: what the? Now it's gone green! And a sharp green scent as well that I have a feeling may turn to soap. It could be the lily doing this, or the wisteria note turning 'wilted'…it's a very sharp, nose piercing scent and it's taking over the other notes.

The sharpness tones down a bit but after that the scent seems to have lost it's complexity. It's just one white, sharp, greenish, slightly powdery flower with a hint of dusty sandalwood/violet and wisteria. I can't make out the other flowers, or the musk.

The musk, a light white/blue musk scent, only comes out at the end, but that sharp floral note is still dominant here.

Verdict: this smelt really beautiful to begin with, a melancholy yet compassionate blend of soft white and purple flowers, soft and fresh and pure and luminous. It was a lovely, true floral scent with a soft, poetic sadness reminiscent of the Funereal Oils. But then one flower-not sure which-started to become aggressively green and sharp and took over the whole scent. it wasn't very nice at all-it reduced what could have been a promising white floral into something flat, without the complexity it started with. It's a shame because it's got a beautiful label and concept, but the scent doesn't work too well on my skin. I'll probably pass my bottle on to someone else.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Maybe I'll keep an imp's worth for scent-locket experimentation.

If you like this, try: Veil, Nocturne, The Fox Woman Kuzonoha, Luna, The Moon

very light, very simple. it smells, brighter and fresher in the bottle - like a real garden, with stems and leaves, as well as petals - i love the lilac note. on my skin, the lilac is pronounced at first, which i love, but as it dries down it does eventually become rather light, and a bit soapy. the sandalwood gives a tiny spicy edge which adds interest. clean and crisp and lightly feminine, would be good for spring/summer nights or sleeping...the intitial lilac/lily phase is especially beautiful and peaceful.

In the bottle- this is a cousin of Asphodel, for sure. A sharper cousin, at that.

Yep, LILAC (and some other white florals). Seeing as I grew up on Lilac Lane, I find this amusing. It smells like when I was a kid and would put my face right into the lilac bush and get a giant whiff. As it dries on my skin, I am getting lilac, a little bit of other floral and that "lunar oils" scent (maybe the phlox? I dunno).

This is SO not me, but I am willing to keep it around and see if it mellows. If not, my mother is a huge fan of lilac scents, and will love this scent to death.

This is a soft floral - mostly lilac in the bottle. On me, it dries down with a green note that I'm not sure I like. However, I do love the sweetness of the florals. This is a soft and gentle, rather melancholy, perfume and it doesn't have much throw. Still, I really like it despite the green note.

I am so happy I yielded to this blend before it went away. Such a beautiful floral that morphs through its components and presents you with a new interpretation of the whole over it's drying and well into its dry stage. It's like a kaleidoscope of white and clear stones which reveals fabulous patterns as you turn the tube. Really breathtaking.

White Moon was the Lunacy that was released near my birthday, and the fact that it had lilac, my favourite flower, was icing on the cake.. I got my bottles last week and it is just... exquisite. The most floaty, shimmery, ghost-like scent that is a gift in itself!! Second Lunacy in a row that I love, but this'll have a special place in my heart!! What a great gift from the Lab!!! :P

Lily is the most prominent, as expected, since my skin amps that note to the nth degree. It's very floral, and has a bit of that soapy thing that I was worried about. Very pretty, but not really me.