Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Titania

A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon.

Sweet and sickly and VERY strong. It smells like strawberry sweets/candy on me rather than pear, peach and grape and is giving me a headache and overpowering me :P I very rarely do well with fruity florals and this is no exception :D

Edited by Bagfish

Imp: Super sweet and very melon like. I'm wondering if my mind is playing tricks with me. I was expecting pears, and yet, I almost can smell pears too.

Wet: Whoa melon!! This reminds me a melon candle we get for the kitchen because my male roommates can't cook something without burning it, so we use the candle to cut through the smell of over cooked food. Strong.

Dry: I do get an icy feel from this, but still not really getting much pear. The sweetness mellows out a bit, which is nice, but I'm still worried that it will be too sweet for me.

Final Thoughts: I can't make up my mind on this one. My inital thought is to swap her, but maybe I'll wear her again for more time and see how it goes. I like a lot of it, but I can't handle the super sweetness.

In the bottle (10 months old):

White fruity floral - green grapes, peach and something flowery underfoot. Wet and cool.

Wet:

Grape Kool-Aid? sweet and fruity.

Dry (15 min):

mmmm.... the pear is becoming stronger and the florals are there, white, wet and mysterious. This is a moonlit garden, silvery and fragrant. So far, I'm loving this. It's full-bodied but cool.

Later (45 min):

Now I'm getting the florals - sweet pea, and snapdragons, which send me straight back to my childhood when we used to play with them and make them 'talk' by squeezing them together. Perfect combination here to evoke faeries. This scent is innocent without being childish - this is still moonlight and mystery.

Wind Down (2 hours):

I keep getting whiffs, first peach, then pear, then dewy florals - this is staying cool, and the scents remain pure and strong, not muddying out in any way. The fruits are morphing slightly - getting riper and even a bit fermented but without being boozy.

Verdict:

Long staying power, strong throw, but a lovely combination - the cool fruits keep the florals from being overpowering, and the florals keep the fruits from being too sweet. I love scents that create a sense of moonlight for me, and this does. It continues to waft up to my nose in little gusts, as if a breeze were blowing it toward me. This will be a regular scent throughout spring and summer for me.

Update: 5 hours later and this is still going strong - mostly a light white herbal floral now, primarily sweet pea. Nothing powdery or dank - definitely going to be one of my favorites.

Edited by le fey

I am normally not a fruity floral kinda gal, but I have been looking for a light fruity blend that I could wear in the summer. I think have now found it! Titania is a very seamless blend- no one note is detectable (this is good b/c I read "rose" and was a little worried that this might go sharp on me). It's very light but not overly bubbly or "young". it has a very airy quiality that is perfect for a faerie queen, as many before me have stated.

I will try to sneak a bottle of this into an upcoming order very soon! Surprisingly for a fruity scent, it lasts a very long time on me, and does not do much morphing at all. Wonderful! I am so glad I was frimped this b/c I had sort of been avoiding it for no apparent reason. Now I know not to fear all fruity florals.

:P

I get...PEAR AND ROSE! Normally sweet pea in any blend amps on me, but here it's laying way low. I get some of the musk here...more and more as it dries but still, the rose dominates on me, lightened and sweetened by the pale fruits. Very nice!

I love Titania. It's the epitome of "fruity floral" on me; the pear is dominant, but it doesn't smell like straight fruit with all those other notes blending in so nicely. Absolutely gorgeous and never too sweet.

In the imp, Titania smells of the three fruits. Wet on my skin, I could smell the fruits and the flowers. They were all blended together, nothing really stood out. If a scent could be called bright and sparkly, Titania's it. As it dried, the fruits warmed up and deepened, especially the grape. Now, an hour after applying, Titania smells like fruit-flavored Pez candy, not that I'm complaining.

Ehhh. Sweet candied fruits with a horrid dusty undernote - I was PRAYING the rose in this would play nice, but, sure enough, it hates me. Terribly.

I've got another imp I'm giving to a friend; hopefully she'll adore it so I can unload mine onto her as well.

In the imp: wow, that's wet-pale-fruity indeed. pear-and-peach-and-sweet-pea.

On me, wet: wet slightly plastic-waxy fruits and florals. Slightly stomach-turning with that plastic feel, actually. Hrm.

On me, dry: makes me think of vaseline or lipbalm or something. Very plastic-smelling sweet damp fruit.

Verdict: Curses. But I have pear and peach scents I like, so it's not a disaster that this went weird on me.

In the imp: This smells very sweet, sticky and pink. More fruit than floral, almost like a thick pink drink, some tropical concoction that would get you very drunk, very quickly. Or possibly like the bubble gum flavored liquid Amoxicillin.

On the wrist: It was very intense in the imp, but immediately upon putting it on it got very faint. I have to put my nose almost on my wrist to smell anything. What I do smell is very nice. Still very pink, but less like bubble gum and more like that tropical drink. This is definitely more fruit than floral on me, so far.

Drydown: A bit sharp and a bit more floral now that it's dry. Still a very pretty pink scent, but less bubble gum pink and more sophisticated, complicated pink. After a few more minutes this turns overpoweringly floral; nauseating, powdery and painfully sharp to the nose. Yikes!

Overall: Score another one for my body chemistry in the war against all that smells pleasant. This was a wonderful scent, but my body totally rejected it.

I got this as a frimp and had very low expectations of it. I like fruit but purple fruits do far better on me, and I was very wary of all the floral notes - none of which I had tried before except rose. And rose is not my friend!

However I was pleasantly surprised by this! A light sweet fruity floral, and no rose! The grapes and pear were the most noticeable fruits which pleased me as I prefer them to peach. It had quite a bit of throw for the first 30 minutes or so, but as the scent started fading it disappeared. And alas this does fade pretty quickly on me.

It's not really me but I do like it and I could wear it so the imp's a keeper for now. I think it will be far better in the spring.

This is a fizzy fruit drink, a sweet tart, a Pez dispenser. It's light and fun, a spritzer on a summer day! Not really for me - it starts to smell sort of artificial. On the Faerygirl, though, it's perfect. The peach and fruits are truer to their natural counterparts. She smells lovely.

In the bottle: Expensive peach candy.

Wet: Midrange peach candy, and grape bubblegum.

Drydown: Cheap peach candy, and chewed up grape bubblegum.

That makes it sound like I don't like it, but I do! I think the progression from the little hard candies you get at the opera in the pretty tins with French paintings on to the candy I remember buying at day camp and eating on the bus on the way home from miniature golf is a pretty rad mnemonic sequence to have encapsulated in a perfume. It's just not what I think when I think "queen of the fairies." It seems to me to be a scent that captures the amazing range of experiences available in America. I would have called it "Goddess of Democracy."

In the imp: white wine, strawberry candy, and a little bit of peach.

Wet on me: dewy pear and grape; smells like fruit candies, but a little more subdued.

After a few minutes: dusty, musky, mysterious; the fruit is still there but it's quieting down.

Drydown: Shoot! It's dried down to plain ol' peach candy. Something similar happened with Aglaea.

I seem to have fairly bad luck with peach blends; the only one I really like is Fae. Generally the peach gets quite strong and I can't discern anything else. Not unplesant, but it makes the whole thing less special. Oh well.

I realized I had an imp of this one day and I have no idea where it came from (thank you whoever you are!!!) :D. It smelled so fruity sweet in the imp thats probably the reason I had never tried it on. But as soon as it hit my skin it morphed into the most beautiful fruit sweet sugary SOMETHING...so well blended I can hardly pick out individual notes. What I thought was strawberry I later realized was...who knows :P. Every time I wear this it reminds me instantly of rennaisance festival. I want a bottle of this just because of the wonderful memories it contains.

I get the white grape and peach as soon as I put this on. As it starts to dry down its more floral notes come out to play. I’m most looking forward to the sweet pea as blends with sweet pea tend to be glorious with my skin chemistry! Definitely more floral on drydown. Reminds me a little of The Fairy Market, albeit a grapier version.

I never would have bought this based on the notes, so I am very glad I got it as a frimp. In the vial: at first I get pine? and then - BAM! - Bubble Yum or Bubblicious Grape bubblegum?!?! On my skin: the musky rose comes out and tones down the bubble yum a bit, bringing a softer, gentler, more feminine side out of this fragrance. Nevertheless, this is a BRIGHT, BOLD scent!! This one will be great for summer...it's a bit too bubbly and berrylicious for November, I'm afraid. All in all, I like this a lot, and look forward to wearing it when the weather gets warmer!

I mean this in the best possible way, because the perfume I am about to compare Titania to is one of my all-time favorites, mainly because of memories but also because of yumminess:

Titania smells a lot like Victoria's Secret Tranquil Breezes, a long-lost discontinued scent from the VS Garden. Bottles of the cologne (which cost like $20 back in the day) go for like $100 on ebay, lots of ladies are obsessed! :D

Tranquil breezes has a strong cucumber note which is not present in Titania; so I am going to re-acquire an imp of BPAL Squirting Cucumber to layer with it. I'm totally psyched! :D

All that aside, Titania is a pleasant, herbally-fruity-floral. Sparkling, dewy, white-fleshed fruits....Very nice, in my opinion. If it didn't remind me so much of Tranquil Breezes, I'm not sure if I would like it as much, but it makes me so happy that I don't know if I could objectively review it. But where's the fun in having an objective opinion? I mean, isn't that an oxymoron? Mwah in that case, I freakin love this little BPAL!

Hidden treasure for fruity floral fans :P (and I don't even usually go for those!)

Bottle: Fruity musk

Wet: Peach musk and flowers

Drydown: This is so good! It's sweet and floral and a little bit of musk. I love the sweetness that comes through.

3.5 outta 5

Tested and reviewed on 11/13/07

In the bottle

Ripe, green grapes hanging off the vine at night with sparkling dew drops hanging from them.

Wet on skin

Peach, pear and sweet pea. Gorgeous and ripe - not too sweet on me.

Dry on skin

Lovely. Gorgeous summer scent! Light, airy, bubbly without being a silly little girl smell. I adore it!

Conclusion

I will definitely need at least a bottle of this. I want it in lotion, shower gel, and body spray. I want to bath in it - I imagine that if I did, I would be followed by a trail of pixies, spreading glitter everywhere. OK, clearly I need to get some sleep :P

9/10

Edited by spiralmissy

TITANIA

This is a fruity floral. The icy pear sits the strongest, with a bit of grape and lots of sweet pea. I do detect some of the other notes in there, bu the sweet pea and pear seem to be the strongest. This has a very sweet, innocent, girlie feeling to it. It's light and breezy.

In bottle: Very gentle, light fruits with a floral edge. Very, very sweet. Wet: Smells like a store selling high end women's hair products. It is pleasant enough but brings to mind a bedroom furnished in white lace and pink satin, full of stuffed animals, collection dolls, and a canopy bed. Not me. Dry, fades super fast into a faint fruity/floral.

imp: sweet pea with some vague fruits.

wet: the fruits are a bit stronger and sweeter but it's still the sweet pea that i smell most strongly.

dry: sweet pea with syrupy fruits. unfortunately, this is exactly what the bath and body shop smells like to me and it tends to give me a headache. i think it's the sweet pea that's doing it. oh well.

Out of bottle:

Oh my goodness!!! I SMELL GRAPE AND PEACH AND PEAR!!!!! I really really like this one in the imp!!!!

On Skin wet:

I love it and I think I'm in scent love. The peach, the pear, the grape!! I don't smell flowers at all. The fruits are glorious!!! The mix is so heavenly.

Dry down:

I keep shoving my wrist under my nose. The sweetness of the mix of fruits are intoxicating. This is lovely beyond belief. The hint of flowers is minimal. It's so fairy-like and light. Just lovely. Loving Titania made me realize how much the other two scents pale in comparison. It's a beautiful symphony with the fruits front and center and the florals as a garnish. I can't stop cramming my wrist into my face. This would make a gorgeous summer scent. I can see it just blooming in the summer.

Overall Thoughts:

This is the best of the bunch today. I have another bottle I want now. This blend is magical and I really love it. I think I'm stopping testing for now to let this one sink in. It is uber lovely and I want to relish it until it wanes.

Verdict: KEEPING THE IMP & WANTING A 5ML