Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Titania

A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon.

One whiff of this on my wrist and I was instantly back in High School, slathering myself with Victoria's Secret Pear Glacé lotion. This is exactly what this scent smells like to me. Very much pear. Nice pear, but pear. Edited by Shollin

IN THE IMP: Fruits with what I think is sweet pea. Can't distinguish any of the fruits, though. Bright and girly.

WET: Mm, very pretty, like eating a lot of really juicy fruits in a flower garden. I smell the pear and grape, some peach, and sweet pea. Unfortunately, it smells a bit commercial, like a scent from Victoria's Secret, or like the Sweet Pea scent I always use from Bath and Body Works, except much fruitier.

DRY: Pretty much the same as when it was wet. Sweet and fruity and bright and feminine with a hint of florals in the background. A great summertime scent.

OH NO I just spilled some. AGAIN. Now I only have half an imp left. :P

In the bottle: sweet fruits

Wet: Sweet roses, more flowers.

Dry: It ends up being a very sweet rose. I like it.

In the bottle, this was really fruity.

When I put it on it spent about twenty minutes shifting between grape and pear before dropping the fruit out altogether and becoming a sort of creamy floral.

After about 6 hours, I can still smell it ever so slightly - it's a soft floral on a foggy night. My skin tends to amp sugar quite a bit, and I think that's all that's left of the fruit now - it's just made the perfume softer. Not bad, but I may pass this one on.

This was a frimp from the Lab, which is the only way I ever would have tried it. I don't like predominant or mixed florals, and I don't like predominant fruits, or pear or peach at all.

In the vial: Fruits and florals. Of the fruits, the pear is predominant; of the florals, I get a mix, but I think I can pick out the sweetpea and the rose. The smell is bright and wet, and it reminds me a bit of any commercial blend of fruits and flowers, almost like a Glade candle, if Glade candles didn't smell like chemicals and artificial scents. Perhaps I should say it's what every other Glade candle is intended to smell like.

On me: The blend doesn't change much, although the fruits step up and the flowers step back. The pear is first, the peach a ghostly second. They are very fresh, very wet, and maybe a bit overripe, but at the same time they don't quite smell real ... there's something too perfect, too pure about them. The florals are now impossible for me to discern from one another, and are instead blended, smooth, like the breeze off of a wildflower field. There's a distinct sweetness to the blend, but fruit sweetness, natural sugars, not thick honey or added sugar. There's no wild morphing going on here as far as I can see.

Verdict: I can't talk about longterm wear on this one because I ended up washing it off after about an hour and a half. It's not unpleasant by any means, but it's absolutely not my style--in fact, it contains just about every note I would never wear. I wouldn't mind smelling it on someone else. It's very bright and pure and cheery, sparkling fruits with a floral base. There is something a little commercial about the scent, and it does make me think of Glade candles. As such, this might be a good blend for someone transitioning in from commercial fruit and flower perfumes. (I plan to pass my imp off to my commercial-perfume-wearing, fruit-loving sister.)

On my skin: peach and pear! Quickly getting a slight floral hint.

4 min: pale and somehow crunchy florals. Guessing that's the sweet pea, or the moonflower, or the snapdragon.

...and then it stayed that way for over two hours. It's nice enough, but nothing special, and I've been spoilt by BPAL. I usually get more interaction from a scent; keeping track of how they develop is part of the fun of trying them out. :P

Ended up swapping it to a friend for something else I wanted to try out (Iambe, actually).

Love and coffee,

Frances

I got my first sniff of Titania at a BPAL party, yesterday. I fell completely in love with this scent, and it loved me back, just as hard. So I tried it on my wrist, and then amused the company greatly by cuddling that arm and announcing that if I could have, I'd have married my wrist.

I can't give a complex analysis of Titania, just that it smells like freshly cut grass with flowers and fruit to me, and I adore it with a passion, and I ordered a bottle of it last night. I want to bathe in it, I want to make soaps of it and have a gallon of it so that I can be massaged in it, and this scent loves me back. I wore some to work today, and while it faded before the first hour was up, I caught delightful, ethereal hints of it for hours and hours and hours.

My overall analysis is MINE ALL MINE MINE MINE MINE, a reaction I'll likely have again when the bottle comes.

This smells like sparkly candy on me, and I very much like it although it is not something I would have chosen ordinarily. I think I can pick out the pear as the dominant note. There's a sense not of straightup cheeriness, but of something with a vaguely dark mischievous/hedonistic seductive edge to it, which I think is perfect for the scent's namesake.

In the imp: fruity fruit fruit! Lots and lots of fruit. Fruit punchy, sort of, actually.

On my skin, this definitely smells like fruit punch to me. Lots of fruit - the flowers are sort of background to the fruit medley.

And this has some serious throw. It smells like fruity bubblegum or fruit punch, and I can actually smell it without sticking my nose in my arm (which is not true of a lot of BPAL on me!). The florals start to come out a little bit and give a nice ethereal undertone to the fruity-fruit-fruit.

I will either pass this imp along (since I don't wear many fruity perfumes) or keep it (since I don't have many fruity perfumes to wear). Everyone who reccommended this in the sparkly-princess thread is absolutely right - this is perfect to wear around children, it's perfect for a sparkly-princess scent. The fruit is sparkly and light and pretty, with the pale, pretty flowers underneath. I think I may actually keep it - for whenever I want to feel like a princess! :P

(Yes, I am a Disney Princess, thanks for asking.)

When I was 13, just on the brink of becoming a young woman, I visited some family friends in Italy. They had an amazing villa, and there was a large garden in the back. After dinner. I sneaked outside to be alone in the glory of my very first trip to Europe. It was the early summer, and the stars were so bright overhead. The flowers around me smelled so soft and sweet. That atmosphere brought thoughts and feelings to mind that I was only beginning to understand. Romance, love, lust - the considerations of womanhood.

When I put Titania on, the smell brought that night back to me, and makes me wish, for just a moment, that I could feel that wonder once more.

My skin brings out soft, sweet florals, with hints of the herb garden over the wall (and I don't know why I get that herby note, since there aren't any listed . . .). The pear is there, but only as a gentle under-note.

Titania = sweet pea and sugary fruits. This is the most ethereal BPAL I've ever tried. If it were a color, it would be cotton candy pink sprinkled with glitter -- there's a shimmering quality to this one that's very interesting. I always feel pretty when I feel Titania. It's very girlish, and I know I would have been head over heels with this one when I was a little girl. This one also seems really accessible for those who are just getting into BPAL. If I didn't know that Titania was from BPAL, I would assume it was a Bath & Body Works scent. It's my favorite perfume for Spring, and as soon as it warms up, I'll be wearing this all the time.

5/5

Expectations: I'm hoping to like this, but a lot of the fruit and floral combinations that I've tried haven't worked too well on me.

In vial: I think I can pick out sweet pea and pear, but for the most part this just blends nicely.

On skin, wet: Boo, it's the toilet paper holder scent. :P Tickles my nose a little, and is lightly sweet, but a bit chemical.

On skin, dry: Oooh, glad I tolerated the wet stage. This is a very light, sweet scent that's just feminine enough for not-very-feminine me. It's very well-blended, and has just a tiny bit of throw.

After time: 40 minutes later, no noticeable change. Slightly more fruity than floral.

Conclusion: This is exactly the kind of scent that I look for in lotions. Pleasant and light enough that a stronger perfume can be used over it.

In imp: Smells like pure grape juice - wonderful!!!

Wet: Grape juice and peaches.

Dry: I'm certain that I can smell the musk rose just underneath, it grounds this scent amazingly as otherwise it would be a little too sickly. The sweetpea is making an appearance now, which is wonderful. Reminds me of the sweetpeas my mother grew in our garden when I was a child.

Verdict: It smells like a woman who is all girly and feminine yet always has an undercurrent of latent sexuality peeking through. Amazing smell, because I'm not a fan of peaches. I don't usually like them in scents and I hate the taste of them, yet I really like this fragrance. I don't think I'd wear this on a regular basis, but on occasion it would be very appealing - on a hot languid day. Its quite strong on me and has a good throw.

Marks out of 10: 7

This is a really pretty, sweet, fruity-floral scent. It smells juicy and ripe. I can’t pick out the notes but it smells pretty good.

While it’s sweet, it’s also tart and fresh smelling. It’s not changing too much on me, staying a sweet, tart, pretty, fruity-floral. There may be some rose here, peach, grape and melon.

This would be a great room scent, although it would have to be light. It’s quite strong and has an edge that I fear would be overwhelming and possibly painful after a while, especially if it was strongly applied/burned. So, in sum, I like it, but I would never wear this.

In the bottle: Pear! Melon! With hints of peach and grape, and fainter rose and light flowers.

Wet: Oh delicious, fruity but not too sweet pear and melon. A hint of white peach, but I'm not getting the grape anymore clearly. The rose is extremely faint. I detect a hint of sweet pea, and a sharper floral I don't know - snapdragon I presume?

Dry: That goddamn moonflower is doing its evil soap routine, but so far, only when I sniff very closely. Otherwise this is all pear and melon, from a distance. Mid-range one gets peach, and light, blended florals. This has gotten quite sweet, and is totally reminding me of a Victoria's Secret body spray.

Summary: Juicy, dripping, sweet pear and melon and peach, just verging on sugary. Sweetpea, musk rose faintly soapy moonflower lie just behind, a delicate, ethereal backdrop for the powerful fruit, but it's truly hard to distinguish individual notes - instead this feels like heavy fruit over light floral, two distinct layers which are each extremely well blended internally. Amazing throw and great lasting power.

Hanging onto my imp for now, but it *may* be too sweet for me. I do so love the pear note, though...

Titania is a lovely fruity floral and I need a big bottle! It's really the perfect summer scent - like laying in a meadow eating peaches. Golden and lightly juicy.

Preconceived Notions: On reading the notes, thought this one would be too fruity for me. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

In the Bottle : Really sweet, like peach flavored candy, and a sweet floral, must be the sweet pea.

Wet: Peaches fade and are replaced by pear. Delicious, wet, just ripened, I want to eat my wrists PEARS :D . Sweet pea rounds out the fruitiness.

Drydown: the sweet pea behaves for me, and I enjoyed it as much as I like the sweet pea in Mouse's L&S tale, but fades. Throw is pretty good, if only this one lasted a little longer. :D

General Impression: I thought this would be too fruity and girly but it is a classic floral and fruit, without being too candyish. I really like the pear notes, its like iced fruit garnished with flowers. Very Femme, I cannot see a man wearing this, unless, well, he was a little fruity himself. Another winner from the Illyria collection! Most likely Big Bottle Worthy, but I have other favorites I will be tracking down first. I won't pass up a good deal on it though and will definitely be hoarding any imps that come my way. :P

Fairy fruits and delicate flowers, this blend is soft and feminine with a gentle throw. The stand out fruit is peach, and the stand out floral is the sweet pea. I wouldn't have thought this one would be one for me, but the rose stays in place and the rest combines in to a beautiful orchard garden party. :P

This is really pretty. Of all the fruit blends, I think this may be a favourite of mine. The white grape and white peach are very light, sweet and pretty. The sweet pea (a favourite of mine), moonflower and snapdragon add some depth to the scent and mellow out the fruits. It becomes soft and feels like that moment after the sun goes down: soft, lovely and magical. Love :P

In the imp: Fruit juice. Cool and refreshing fruit juice. I can detect some florals but they are very light, and the overall impression is one of a sweet, iced fruity drink.

Wet: Woah. All fruit, mostly peaches. It smells like candy and artificial fruit flavors. And I think some fruit is going really sour on me, because I am starting to smell like a sour patch kid.

Dry: Ugh, it smells like I have sour lollies hidden in my bra. My brain says it isn't really an unpleasant scent, but it's making me nauseous for some reason. I think it's the plastic, artificial fruit candy smells that are doing it. It also reminds me of something one of my teachers, almost twenty years ago, used to wear. She would slather it on and it would overpower all other smells.

Overall: Titania, you smelled lovely and refreshing in your imp, but alas, you are not for me. I shall use you as a room scent or give you away to someone who will appreciate your fruity, flowery goodness.

Edited by trollgirl

This smells like fresh strawberries to me, nothing else. Am I going mad?

It'd make a lovely Summer scent.

In the imp: Pear and sweet pea, fairly strong. More floral that fruity.

Wet: Grape juice, a hint of peach and floral. The floral notes take a back seat to the fruits.

Drydown: Refreshing, clean, girlish and innocent. This is very well-blended, no one note takes over although I can definitely smell sweet pea, which happens to be my birthflower. This is a very different pear than the Haunted House '07 scents; those turned into play-doh on my skin, while this stays sparkling and fresh. I see this becoming a favorite summer scent. Medium wear length and it clings close to the skin with little throw, so the sweetness doesn't become overpowering on hot, sticky days.

Initial thoughts: Another unexpected frimp. Although initially skeptical, I got quite excited about that list of notes (Grape, peach and pear! Sweet pea and snapdragon!) until I spotted the musk rose, which is liable to dominate the scent and make it unwearable for me (I HATE roses). That said, the last fruit-flower combination I tried which listed rose in a minor role was Crypt Queen, and that was lovely. There is yet hope.

In the imp: Fresh, juicy white iced fruits and pastel flower petals. This smells like a cool bath or pool scented with fruit and flowers. I can pick out the pear, a little of the grape, what I'm tempted to say is the sweet pea - it's sweet and fresh and clean and crystal clear. Really nice, actually.

On the wrist, wet: More floral on my skin - might be the rose kicking off - and also deeper, darker. It's still got that fresh fruit juice brightness - similar to the kick from Eris - but the flowers are gentler and more silky. A very girly scent so far, but with a hefty strength and decent throw to it.

Twenty minutes later: This is like the lovechild of Eris and Crypt Queen. That's the best description I can give it. I do get the rose, almost, but it's held in check by the other florals. There's a fresh fruitiness underneath but I can't make out which one. This is girlier and gentler than Eris, but with more body and colour than Crypt Queen - it's flashy and flirty and very, very PINK.

Verdict: Keeper, but I'm not sure how I feel about a bottle yet.

Tl;Dr: Soft pink flirty florals and sweet, fresh dewy fruit; good throw.

In the imp this one is tart and very nearly citrus, I think of a nice mixed drink. The Pear doesn't make an appearance until it sits on my skin for a few minutes, and when it does this really reminds me of a Victoria's Secret - near the fragrance section. Sticky sweet Pear & Sweet Pea are the main notes I can smell during the initial stages. After 30 minutes or so, I can definitely detect the florals, but they aren't even close to being as sweet as the fruits. This is one of the sweetest blends I have tried so far. Not sure if its a keeper, though, because I have quite a few fruit blends I love already...but for those who might be just easing away from commercial perfumes, Titania's a great introduction to the Lab's creations.