Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Schwarzer Mond

The keeper of secrets: opoponax, Tunisian black amber, night musk, antique patchouli, zdravetz, terebinth, myrrh, and Pimenta racemosa.

I begged around & got a sample to test before I sprang for a bottle of the resurrected SM...oh my. I see what the fuss is about. IN the imp, nice and dark. On, still nice and dark. Amber, but not powdery, with the patchouli (which I love) and myrrh notes suporting it. Just delish. I'm so glad I didn't get any of this before, cuz I would have been mourning and selling off stuff to get some. (heads off to buy a bottle or 3)

I just got a lab-fresh bottle today, and I can already see that I need more. Bear with me there's several notes I'm not too familiar with.

I'm not sure what I expected...something more salty and masculine I think. SM is neither of those things on my skin. Upon applying its super sweet... I think that must be the Pimenta racemosa. I can pick out the resins too, mostly the myrrh.

Mostly, I worried about whether the patchouli would behave on me, and it definitely does. This is a deep, earthy, resiny blend, like many oils I love, but SM is something special. I can't wait to see what this is like after its aged a bit. Heaven!

ETA: I seriously cannot believe how good this is. I wish I could describe it better!

Edited by iiinterstate

I got this the first time it was released, and at that point I had to sell it for funds, so I was very, very happy that it came around. Once again this smells like it belongs on a very hot man that I would ride like a thoroughbred if given the opportunity. It’s totally hot dark sex in a bottle. I love anything amber, and the black amber and patchouli work with all the rest to create a scent that, well. In the immortal words of Jayne Cobb from Firefly? ”I’ll be in my bunk.” There's no way I could ever wear this out in public. Well, ok, maybe in special situations. :P

In The Bottle

Dark, earthy

On Application

Strong patchouli and opopanax. A little of the peppery/spicy Pimenta racemosa

Dry Down

What was initially quite dark and tar-like eventually sweetens up to a glorious smooth patchouli scent. I can see what the fuss is about. Should age beautifully.

Rating (0-5)

the original SM being one of the only hard-to-get holy grail type BPAL scents that has ever worked on my skin (i'm looking at you, underpants and buck moon), i was thrilled to get another chance at a bottle. i've been using that bottle so, so sparingly, paranoid that i'd run out.

in the bottle crack! no, okay, must try to be more articulate than this. heavy. black, black, black. so heart-burstingly sexy it shouldn't be allowed. it's softer than my aged bottle, but somehow darker, too. could it be that i like this better fresh??

wet on skin sweet with a root-beerish twang that i don't get in the aged version, almost aniseseed, but much sweeter. no, i think i like it better aged. :P

dry on skin there's an almost condom-ish pop early in the drydown, not unlike smut 07. the anise sort of scent is mellowing to a spicy, peppery top note while amber, musk, and patchouli keep it gritty.

one of my co-workers, who insists on sniffing all BPAL that comes through my office (i get my packages at work), told me it was "rough" after i dabbed some on him. i said "oh, really? you don't like it?" and he said "oh, NO, i like it! i'm just afraid there will be women following me around all day!"

you betcha, baby. pure, filthy sex.

i'm not generally a hoarder (with a few exceptions), but this might call for another bottle. *shifty*

bottle: patchouli! with a bit of amber, musk and myrrh in the background. mush stronger than the original version.

wet: deep, spicy patchouli with a hint of musk. everything else has receded.

dry: this dries more ambery than before. i will let this one age for at least a year before i try it again.

I never had a chance to try the original SM, but after hearing rave reviews about it, I knew I had to order a bottle when it was recently re-released.

In the bottle: Whoa! Spicy, black musk. Very dark and very heavy. Reminds me of nothingness - just empty, black space that stretches on forever.

On skin: Wow. WOW. Wowiiiieeeeee. This is like NOTHING I've ever smelled before. Jumpin' Jesus! I'm not sure how to be articulate about what I smell here because I'm really NOT SURE what I smell here! But it's really complex, dark and mysterious. There is something really dirty and filthy about this too, and not necessarily in a bad way, but in a way that might make me nervous to wear this out in public.

I'm not sure whether or not this works on me yet. It all depends on the dry-down.

Given that this is very dark with lots of patchouli, it's a given that I'm going to have to revisit this in a few weeks for a better idea of what this is REALLY going to smell like.

What this smells like to me right now is of hot smoke and ashes - but of the productive variety. It smells very much like the air in a reconstructed 18th/19th century village or plantation, where people actively engage in jobs of the time like smithing, woodworking, etc, and many of them have open flames -- this reminds me of the sooty smell of people working hard in an older time.

Except now that I've written that, there's a flower trying to push its way through...

Ok, y'all may slap me for this, but this is the first BPAL I've tried that reminds me of a commercial perfume. Fortunately, it's YSL Opium, which I adore. This has a similar dark, deep, yummy smell. But don't get me wrong, it's not just like it, only reminisccent. Must have more. :P

In the bottle, whoa Nelly, that's dark musk and patchouli, and all else in a surprisingly smooth darkness.

On me, wet it is surprisingly similar to in the bottle. Nothing is amping or changing yet.

Drying, the myrrh is warming up and....*swoons* Oh, that is fabulous!

All I need now is for the musk to NOT go all candy on me and I'm set. I actually suspect that the patchouli(which is exceedingly dark, and surprisingly smooth) will help keep the musk from going over the edge. It needs to stay as it is right now.

SCHWARZER MOND 2008

In Bottle: Sweet deep resins

On Skin: Well, I loved the original and I love this one. Again it is dark and sweet… all the scents melding into a sticky barrel of resinous heaven. It’s quite similar to the original and has the same overall vibe. It has that spicy warmth, and masculine edge, even though I love wearing it. It’s a night scent for sure, one that will get you noticed and have everyone hovering around you. It’s a great contrast to Lune Noire, both sides of the spectrum. This one represents the dark, dirty, sticky side… I love resins and I love this scent. So happy to have another bottle. Strong throw and long wearlength.

In the bottle, this was all hippy dippy patchouli.

On my skin, sweet amber with lots of Byzantine funeral incense. This dried down to a swell of amber that smelled just like 2 blonde brothers I loved a million years ago...

Edited to add: The more I wear this, the more the patchouli comes out, harmonizing with the amber, and shooing away the churchy incense. And the more I wear this, the more I think this must smell like love... I had to order another bottle before it went away. I think this is my holy grail of BPAL...

Edited by kittysdesire

I'm SOOOO bummed out by my skin! This turns to baby baby baby powder on me. I WISH I got some Snake Charmer....but I get baby. Delicious baby, yes, but baby just the same.

in the bottle: sweet dark musk and opium :D

wet on skin: i'm getting a sweet almost almond aspect- it's got to be the tonka. it's so rich and wonderful! :P

dry down: as deep as it gets, this sexy as hell scent is extremely well blended and has enough kick to wear out to your most devilish night events but sultry enough for a lusty night at home. :joy:

in all: sweet, rich, gender neutral, this one has it all. get some!

:D :D :D

Finally got a bottle of the coveted Schwarzer Mond!

SO...

I also get that fizzy cola vibe when it's first applied but that literall stays for about 20 seconds...then poof! It's gone.

Then it's a whole lotta Patchouli and Myrrh, it's very strong so I'm gonna have to be careful how much I apply.

It stays like this for about 20 mins..

These two notes are predominant throughout, but when it's dry it turns more musky on me.. and a bit sweeter. It's not so dark when it's dry. It's much more pleasant..I'm not really into heavy patchouli or Myrrh scents so I'm thankful they back off a bit.

I'm not sure I'll wear it often but..I'm intruiged to see how it ages and I'm definately keeping the bottle. The label is so pretty too.

I can see how some people would find this scent stunning but for me it's only OK.

:P

Edited by ouch!

Put me into the pile of people who wish that this worked better :P

Husband says "smells like Old Lady Perfume", and he's right - this reminds me a bit of my grandmother. I've no idea why, since there are resins and patchouli and all sorts of delectable ingredients, instead of her preferred florals.

This isn't nearly as dark as expected. I really like it, but am content with my imp, and won't be needing a 5ml.

Got my Schwarzer Monde on Saturday and put it on Immediately.

Schwarzer Monde is definitely dark. My skin has a tendency to blow Myrrh up all out of proportion. And it does so in this one a bit, but the other notes are also very strong, so they kind of keep it in check. Schwarzer Monde is a dark velvety blend, rich and sweet. For me the patchouli doesn't really come out at all. It is all myrrh, amber, musk and oppoponax.

I have a black and amber-tinged marble looking candle that I bought from the little new age-y store between a German café (which sold the world’s greatest muffins) and one of my chiropractors’ offices… when I was…11?

Whenever I’m stressed out, anxious, sad, have an extra-enthusiastic-skull-ripping headache, or just need a fix of that candle’s magnificent scent, I find a quiet space to sit and inhale the scent of my precious candle.

I’ve never lit it’s wick, because I never want to melt away. I love the scent of that candle so much, and I cannot cope with the thought of not having it around one day.

Schwarzer Mond 2008, mail-fresh, and through the amber colored glass of its bottle, smells like my beloved black candle.

Since none of you have had the luxury of smelling my waxy little treasure, that wasn’t very helpful, but I wanted to convey the psychological significance I associate with SM’08’s smell… which feels a little easier to describe.

Schwarzer Mond 2008 smells similar to the incensey base of Midnight on the Midway.

In other words, it smells like really well blended incense, almost like nag champa, but in Schwarzer Mond 2008, the patchouli is stronger than that in MotM or the nag champa I’m familiar with, and unlike Midnight on the Midway, there is zero sugar.

I was terrified of the zdravetz, but for once, the hell-geranium doesn't surface and smell like anchovies. I wouldn’t even know it was there if I hadn’t looked up zdravetz on Google.

SM’08 also smells like thick black religious candle smoke and candle soot, the really good kind, up close, mingling with my skin, where applied, and in the throw.

The black amber and myrrh don't amp and turn sticky, glycerin-y or sugar-sweet, they just seamlessly blend with the black, smoke-caked dry incense.

Schwarzer Mond 2008 is dry, but not papery, scratchy, or too dry, because the hint of rum, which comes off more like cognac grapes on me (unlike super!candy, it mimics a slight beginning of steam, flushed and dewy skin hinting at an almost sweetness).

The amber makes it feel thicker, deeper, and darker, it's blackness in a warm, ritual chamber filled with blown out candles and smouldering incense, or other enclosed, dark space, not just smoke diffusing in the air.

There is also a smoky, deep peppery but not exactly spicy hit in the initial wet stage. Think, deep, dark, red-brown, but almost an espresso brown. It conveys heat, and blends with the dry, woody incense sense, without being too woody (I amp woods into foul, throat-closing saw-dust, so in nearly all other cases, I avoid wood notes and ‘dry’ blends). I don't get the men’s colognelike smell black pepper can sometimes inflict on my skin, etiher.

Schwarzer Mond 2008 just smells hot, initially dark red-orange-brown, then black, deep, almost seamlessly blended (almost because you can catch a hint of one thing, and go, 'oooh', and then there's something new... then something else... then…).

Embers and incense.

I'm testing an imp of the 2006 vintage. I can see why this is well loved and sought after, but unfortunately on me this gets the same musk and amber scent combo that reminds me strongly of my grandmother's perfume tray she kept on her dresser. There's also a hint of her dusting powder, and something almost peppery. While it reminds me of my grandmother, it isn't especially great smelling on me, and I sincerely doubt I'll ever wear it.

I'd love to smell this on someone who's skin makes it work!

In the bottle and wet on my skin, I nearly died of sadness. It smelled like pure cumin for some reason.

However.

When it started to dry, it turned earthy and brown.

After drying, I am getting gorgeous, very DARK amber with some unusual spices and musk. It even smells a little smoky.

Extremely unusual scent, not like anything I've tried, and now maybe I need a second bottle after all, despite my initial impressions suggesting otherwise.

It certainly encompasses the more masculine side of the Black Moon perfectly.

However, to me the scent is more like an extremely deep shade of golden brown, with flickers of black running through it.

Edited by starwild

In the bottle: medicinal. dark, like something that if a doctor offered you this as a cure, you'd go "eh? drink THIS?"

Wet: same medicinal, herbal scent. Masculine.

Dry: Kinda powdery :/ Damn you amber! I'm gonna let this age.

Sniffed in imp: Deep orange amber colour. Sweet, dark, resiny, incensey. A little spicy and a little smoky. Musky and a touch boozy. Earthy patchouli, but a bit of fresher woods too. Strong, masculine.

On my skin, it was much the same with tremendous throw and lasting power. Not my style.

Omg, why didn't I buy more than one bottle of this? SM is very medicinal to start with but it turns into the most incredible resin blend ever - I swear at one point I almost get some sort of sweet cinnamon from this. I can only compare it to Sin, one of my other favourites, with the black amber and myrrh, only much, much darker :P

I cannot wait to let it age - since I only have one bottle, this will be for special occasions only...

In the bottle: Some resin, some patchouli. Eye-rolling good.

Wet: Resinous, dark, musk, and a little something sharp like leather.

Half an hour: Myrrh, amber, musk, and something else. This is dark and fabulous, and I love it!

One hour: Yum. But that sharp note is still there. It's almost like leather, salty, tannic. Wonder what it is?

Two hours: That sharp note has gone away. Now it's mostly resins and some musk. But somehow this one smells better than any of the other resin-based ones I've tried.

Four hours: Yum, yum, yum. Top five.

Seven hours: Still solid, although a little sweeter and less complex.

My bottle is from the original release; I got it in trade while on vacation and came home to discover it had been revisited! O frabjous day! I bought two more. :P