Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
MrsDevilDog

The Fox-Woman Kuzunoha Leaving Her Child

2ntdxud.gif

The Fox-woman Kuzunoha Leaving Her Child, Yoshitoshi Tsukioka.

White tea, cherry blossom, wisteria, star jasmine, and teak.

this seems to be the salon scent without it's own review thread of yet, please correct me if i somehow do this incorrectly...

Kuzunoha was, for me, a very fresh sort of floral in the bottle. unfortunately, on my skin, the teak came out with as much strength as the bouquet, which didn't do much for me. after a while, it smelled of wood chips.

now i can see this one being lovely for some people, but it didn't work for me. i would like to perhaps try it in a scent locket, and see if it's just my skin which develops that wood chip smell.

this was almost all jasmine on me. well jasmine and tea. imagine if you will soakinging a jasmine blossom in steeping tea. the heat makes the jamine permeate every ounce of the tea, yet the tea retains a hint of it's self. sadly my skin amps jasmine to the inth degree. this may be a balanced, blend on some, and i wish i got teak, but on me jasmine is the prominenet note.

In the bottle this is all jasmine. I couldn't pick out any of the other notes.

Wet on my skin it stays true to being all jasmine and not much else. I can pick up a little bit of the tea but it's very faint.

Dry I am getting teak and cherry blossom. It reminds me a bit of one of my Carnaval Noir blends but I can't place which one right off hand. It's very smooth and creamy. Polished teak.

I was hoping for more of the tea to come out, but this is a really nice scent anyway. Even though it's not exactly what I was hoping for, I am glad that I got it. I'll probably wear it quite a bit this fall and winter.

After reading the "left wrist vs. right wrist" skin chem. differences on that thread, I've decided to do this review a little differently.

In the bottle: Air freshener. Nice air freshener, mind you, but...

Left wrist:

Wet: Starting to warm up a bit. Now it smells like air freshener...and Lubriderm. Sigh.

Dry: My skin seems to be amping cherry blossom for some reason...I think that's the Lubriderm scent. But as it sits, it fades back a bit...it smells like a creamy floral on a rainy day...very unusual. The star jasmine is not nearly as strong as the usual jasmine notes, very understated. I like this well enough, but it's not one of my favorites. I can't shake the lotion associations!

Right wrist:

Wet: Wow, the jasmine and teak are most prominent...I couldn't even smell the teak on the other wrist!

Dry: Ooh, much better. It's a much deeper, more languid scent. What I smelled so strongly on my left wrist is just a counterpoint to the other notes coming out on my right. It's much more balanced. Ooh, and I can smell the tea now! This scent morphs more than Violet's gum from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory :P.

The Fox Woman Kuzunoha Leaving her Child

In the imp: gentle jasmine and wisteria, covered in dew. Also some tea. So pretty!

Wet on skin: something in here (tea? Jasmine? Wisteria?) goes very sharp on my skin…and I now get cherry blossom.

Dry: a very sharp jasmine-wisteria-tea scent with a hint of slightly soapy cherry blossom in the background. I love the smell of real wisteria, but it seems BPAL wisteria is one of those notes which can be either lovely (Cabaret) or ruinous (Seraphim) and I’m afraid it seems to be going funky on me here. The star jasmine and tea, notes which I usually like, seem to be too sharply green in this scent. I can smell some pale teak under it all but it’s just a sharp wisteria-tea scent which my skin can’t take.

After a while: the scent eventually goes acrid-green, slightly like wilted flowers, not very pleasant at all. The tea is still too sharp, as is the wisteria which now smells like dead blossoms, and the jasmine develops that green-oily smell that I sometimes get (though usually star jasmine doesn’t do this). I think the cherry blossom may be making this scent go nasty on my skin-this smells a bit like Dragon Moon, which I didn’t like. The flowers in here smell even more wilted as time passes.

Verdict: this was such a disappointment. This was very pretty in the decant, a serene Asian floral scent, but once it hit my skin it turned very bad. The notes went very sharp, acridly green, and a little bit soapy. I now know that the cherry blossom note doesn’t really like me most of the time, I didn’t like it in Dragon Moon and it doesn’t like me in here. The wisteria also goes sharp on me, the jasmine turns rotten, the tea is too tart. Even the touch of teak doesn’t redeem this scent. I think this scent would do better as room scent, or on someone who’s skin is nicer with cherry blossom or wisteria-so like she left her child, I’m afraid the fox-woman will have to leave me as well.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Dragon Moon, Kyoto, Phantasm, Shanghai, Kumiho, Holiday Moon

In the bottle, this smells *exactly* like LUSH's Youki-Hi bath bomb, in the bottle, which is a huge plus for me since that's my favorite one!

On my skin, it's a lovely blend of jasmine and tea, and it seems "reddish" in the bottle instead of what you'd think would be a white floral. Beautiful!

In the vial: tea and a variety of blossoms.

Wet: oh, you devil jasmine, this is supposed to be a tea scent!

Dry: sadness. This may as well be a jasmine SN on me. I love jasmine in the garden, however I can't wear it on my skin. :P

White tea is very strong in this at first but it almost immediately backs off and lets in the wisteria blooms. This one is actually hard for me to describe well. It's a crisp sweet floral with just a hint of sugary sweetness. The jasmine doesn't come up as much as I would like it to, but that's actually better I think.

In the bottle: light floral. Mostly jasmine, damned!!

On my skin: even more jasmine, of course!! No tea, no cherry blossom, nothing but jasmine!!

After a couple of hours: jasmine single note... *makes face*

Verdict: no!

Ooh, I smell tea! Some jasmine, too. It's weirdly powdery and it's making me sniffle. I'll let my mother test it because of the tea, but I have a feeling it will eventually wind up in the swaps.

Smelled very light in the vial like it was muted. On my skin it immediately became jasmine and plastic. Finally just nastiness that I am desperately wanting to wash off. I don't understand where the tea and cherry blossoms are *sigh*

Into the trade pile...

On me, Fox-Woman works beautifully. It's lush and feminine when wet, regal and understated when dry, and the tea and teak keeps the flowers from being overpoweringly sweet. It's one of my favorites. I can just see Lady Kuzunoha, in her silken robes and ornaments of jade and coral. She looks so elegant and refined that you'd never suspect she was out chasing rabbits in the wood last night.

First Impression: A musky floral.

Dries down to: Soft jasmine.

Additional Comments: This feels very Oriental. It's a soft floral with the tea and teak giving it softness and an "edge". This is actually a jasmine that works on me but it's not anything special.

Lasted: 3-4 hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Fox-Woman Kuzunoha Leaving Her Child - Well, I half-love this scent! The sweet cherry blossom and and slightly sour wisteria notes are simply gorgeous and I can hardly get enough of them. However, the jasmine spoils it all for me and add tea and teak to the mix, and it half-ruins it for me. If I could get a scent that was just the cherry blossom and wisteria combination, I think I'd be in heaven! The scent has absolutely perfect sillage and the staying power is just about average. I really wish jasmine worked on me better. I have a feeling that this would be just gorgeous if I could only wear jasmine.

Oh Fox Woman, you've broken my heart as well as those of the children you left behind.

This is one of my favorite pieces of art, so I was poised to buy it just for that alone. I read the early reviews: Jasmine Tea! count me in--what a gorgeous scent that would be!

I was leer of the wisteria (a scent, like rose, which I enjoy muchly in the flowers but not at all in perfume) but bought a decant from Yeahbutno....

Ack! Fox-woman, why why why do you smell so much of wisteria or lilac or something (perhaps its the cherry blossom)? On me, there is not jasmine (a note I love) and no tea. I smell like lilac soap or some such thing. Like some fancy little guest soaps a grandmother might have in her bathroom.

No foxy musk. No black tea with jasmine flowers. Nothing remotely fox-woman-esque.

So sad. But I'm glad I didn't buy a bottle!

:D This completely did not work on me.

Love the artwork, so even though cherry blossom hates me I got it anyway. Wouldn't you know the cherry blossom didn't even appear. :P

At first it was all Jasmine which I could handle although it was a little strong. As it dried a teak woody smell comes through and almost for a second a thought it was going to turn gorgeous, but then something turned and the blend ending up smelling strongly of the old perfume vials my grandmother had that hadn't been opened in twenty years. Like the notes had all faded and blurred into an old musty smell.

Is it bad that I still want to keep it regardless because I love the painting. I think I'm in self-denial.

Without even looking at the list of notes before sniffing Fox-Woman in her bottle, I knew that this blend had cherry blossom and an herbal smelling jasmine note in it. Frighteningly floral. On my skin, those two notes continue to be the only ones that I can pick out. I agree with other reviewers who have described this as a musty smelling floral.

For a floral-jasmine scent (jasmine is one of my perfume enemies) this isn't as bad as I thought that it would be. The florals stay sort of muted and soft, with that strangely aged, musty quality to them. After a while it takes on a pleasantly sugared sort of quality as well. I'm not sure that I'll keep this one, but it's interesting and rather pretty. I'd like the Fox if I were more fond of florals.

Jasmine and tea, and a hint of polished woods. I don't smell the other notes, alas, and the jasmine gets stronger over time. The jasmine is nice, though. Calming. After a while, the woods balance the jasmine. It's still sweetly pungent, but not so overwhelmingly floral.

*shakes fist* Curse you, jasmine! :P

I think star jasmine is the jasmine that goes least sour on me...it's not as ruinous here as jasmine can be for me. I smell the cherry blossom, light and gorgeous, and can pick up the teak as well - I think I like it. (Not to take away from its individuality, but this puts me in mind of a lighter, feminine relative of Herr Drosselmeyer...)

I am sure this would be very pretty on another, but sadly doesn't quite work for me. I do love cherry, though. *sigh* I'm very glad I got to try this, and will give it a few more attempts before sending it to the swaps.

When I first applied it, I spent several minutes trying to place the gorgeous scent it reminded me of- Lady of Shallot. Strange, because I don't think they have any notes in common. But wet, that's almost exactly what it smelled like on me.

Once it dried, a spicier or woodsy scent came out- (maybe the teak?) that reminded me of Silk Road.

I wish I got Lush's Youki-Hi out of it, but I don't get much jasmine at all here.

This is a smooth, quiet blend. Starts out kind of sharp and soapy, and I'm pretty sure that's the jasmine. But the sharpness dies down, and it becomes a little less soapy...still mostly floral, but the teak is there a little bit. The tea note might just be a subtle supporting note. Nice scent, not sure I would get much use out of it though.

at first: sweet tea and a bit of cherry blossom.

on: tons of sharp cherry blossom.

2 hours later: sweet jasmine with a hint of cherry blossom.

6 hours later: a watery, sweet floral, with a bit of powder. interesting.

overall: i just can't do cherry blossom.

The first time I tried The Fox-woman, I was a little disappointed to find that it went through a bit of a boring soapy stage; but once it began to dry down, and the sillage found it’s way up to my nose, I found that it had blossomed on my skin. An ever so slightly soapy floral with something a little different about it; and I think that’s the white tea and teak, which takes it away from the usual soapy-floral realm making it a little dry, yet smooth and elegant. The lush star jasmine and teak give the fragrance a depth which tones down the soapiness of the wisteria on my skin. It might be obvious to say it, but this all this brings to mind a finely polished teak table, its smooth, rich brown colour glinting in the sunlight; a pot of strong, steaming jasmine tea brewed to give it that hint of dry bitterness, and the scent of flowers drifting in from a warm breeze. I love florals like this, something different, not what you’d expect. It is beautiful.

I like the wisteria, and it seems like I can smell some tea too, but the star jasmine is giving me a slight headache. I won't be able to wear this one, which is too bad because I like this better than most jasmine blends. It's nice with the tea.