Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Aizen-Myoo

... Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

This is one of those scents that completely transforms from wet to dry.

In the bottle, Aizen-Myoo is a VERY strong, bitter, citrusy herbal.

On, it quickly changes into a gorgeous soft, sweet, fruity floral with just a hint of tea.

The change is remarkable! I agree wih everyone who said this is perfect for hot summer days.

VERY musky sour citrus. Almost like grapefruit but 'tart-er'. Still that hint of grapefruit sweetness but still too sour for me to ever consider wearing. Good if you like these really strong citrus scents, but not for me.

In the bottle: A burst of citrus greets my nose – likely the yuzu and kaki. The cherry blossom is taking a back seat. I don’t think I smell the black tea, unless the sense of grounding I’m getting is from that.

Wet: More citrus! The cherry blossom sweetens it up a bit.

Drying down: Ooo, there’s the black tea. (Consults her Japanese cook book.) Ah, so mikan are Satsuma oranges. I’m not getting the smell of those, distinctly, so they’re likely helping the cherry blossom sweeten the mix. The citrus I’m smelling is sharper than orange, more like grapefruit or lime, which is why I’m associating it with the yuzu and kaki.

Dry: With a surface sniff, this reads as a conventional citrus-based perfume, but there’s a lot more complexity to it. Different elements waft up to me at different times, but it’s well-blended overall. There’s a chance that the fruits may go soapy on my skin as I wear it. This is one I ordered an imp of to get some more variety under my nose. So far, I like it.

Later: The citrus softened, but stayed. In came a scent that resembled vanilla to lead the way to creamy citrus sweetness. Thankfully the vanilla-like scent came in lieu of going soapy. Yum! Bright, playful, and tasty. :P

Grrr. I was so enthused about this, just becaues of the deity it was named after...

In the Bottle: distinctly grapefruit, a little sharp, but softened by something a little more powdery and sweet. Not a bowl-you-over scent, but it has personality.

Wet on Skin: all right, that's a bit rounder. The grapefruit is still prominent but it's sweetened noticeably by something fruity this time -- I guess that would the satsuma-y note.The citrus is most prominent, but the florals make a nice 'backdrop'

Drydown: This scent is actually quite lovely. The sharp jump-out scent of the citrus mellows into the florals, and if I try really hard I can sort of smell the tea base, although to me it smells a little bit more creamy than the notes would suggest. It's quite subtle, even elegant, and I can see this working beautifully for a casual night out in the summer.

As beautiful as it is, however, it's just too feminine for me. It's a little bit sweet for my nose, and florals just turn me off. Floraly gals will love this, though.

How in the hell did I miss this scent??

I received it as a gift from dear Sandra today, and of course I fell in love with it. It reminds me very much of the only commercial cologne I've ever loved, Calyx by Prescriptives. Mmm grapefruity citrusy goodness. :P

Both in the bottle and wet on my skin the yuzu/grapefruit in Aizen-Myoo is gorgeous, crisp and tart, but underneath it the cherry blossom gives it smoky depth. It becomes more sweet and ethereal on the drydown, and for a citrus scent it's long-lasting and has good throw on my skin.

Every stage of this is perfect.

I want to bathe in Aizen-Myoo. srsly :D

In the imp: Sharp, bitter citrus. I've eaten yuzu rind before and this is spot-on!

Wet: It sweetens when applied, but not very much, more like a grassy kind of sweetness. There's still a bitterness, I'm guessing the black tea, underneath.

Dry: A sharp citrus that gets me in the back of my throat. It's a great interpretation and conveys the notes perfectly, but it's not something I'm wild about.

In the vial this is a gorgeous, light and golden citrus scent from the yuzu and mikan, with a hint of sweetness from the kaki fruit and cherry blossom. On my skin I can smell the citrus underscored by the scent of black tea, as the sweetness fades behind the stronger tea and citrus scents. After a few hours on my skin the tea fades and this becomes a very soft ever so slight sweetness on my skin, the remaining scent of the fruit and flower fragrances.

Aizen-Myoo

In the imp, I get tangy citrus right away. On me, yummy and sharp grapefruit. After awhile the scent becomes more round and less... pungent, it becomes slightly flowery and the black tea really puts this blend in check.

It's a very bold scent on me but it becomes softer towards the end of the day. It smells pretty and uplifting.

9/10

This one morphs more than any scent I have tried so far. It is very sharp and strong at first. I smell star fruit and other exotic citrus - with an undernote of tea. I can't detect any cherry blossom. On drydown this morphs into an amazing scent! Sweeter and creamier and much more complex! I love this even more after 20 minutes.

There is definately a 5ml in my future.

My SO and I sniffed this together after I opened the imp. Both of our reactions where the same. We stepped back and said 'Whoa!'

Very sharp and very grapefruit to me. I don't like grapefruit. I tried it on anyway to see what would happen.

This did change quite nicely after enough time. It toned down and I started to pick up the sweeter cherry. I enjoyed it after the change, but it smells too much like bitter grapefruit for too long for me to keep it.

I'll be swapping this one.

Aizen-Myoo is definitely sharp grapefruit at first, a true bracing grapefruit that's both surprising and refreshing. I'm not sure I could pick out persimmon (kaki) and satsuma (mikan) as notes, but it's certainly a citrus blend---without added sweetness. The cherry blossom and black tea come out much later for me, after the citrus oils have died down.

As strong and almost bitter as the citrus notes here are, I really like this. It's very head-clearing and reviving without a drop of mint. I'll definitely be keeping my imp.

I am in love...

Wet - just like everyone else I get wacked in the head with some of the strongest grapefruit EVER. I also get a tea scent - but on me it is more of a white tea than a black one.

Dry - this just gets better and better. The grapefruit slides down and the cherry blossom (sakura - for those of you who want the Japanese name) comes up mixing PERFECTLY with the citrus notes.

I could bathe in this!

Definitely one for the Top 10!

Aizen-Myoo-

In Bottle: A very bright floral with a bit of a grapefruit note.

Wet: Strong, aquatic notes. Salty, even. Shortly afterward there's an almost cherry-like bloom.

Dry: Wow, this is not like anything else I've tried. I can't identify these smells. It would be cherry but it's too clean-soapy; it could be cedar but it's too sweet. I do like it! Not my very very very favorite but one I'll come back to.

Overall: I like.

When I first put this on, it was pure citrus hell. Orange, orange, and orange, with a side of orange. It almost made me want to vomit. It's settled down quite a bit now, and while the citrus is still there, mostly I get the tea and...something else...I don't know what...it somehow smells like the beach, and it's actually kind of calming, now that the evil citrus has dissipated. I...I'm not sure whether or not I like it. I think I'll set it aside to try again later.

:P

I so wanted to like this one - everything in its description appealed to me. It was promising in the imp: a sharp uplifting grapefruit note with an herbal undertone. Wet on the skin it still had a heady citrus vibe. Once dried, a strong floral note emerged and the headache set in.

Verdict: Ultimately the floral notes make it a no-go for me. :P

This is definilty bittersweet!

Right out of the imp I smell something very bitter and acrid, like a freshly plucked root of a dandilion or other type of weed. It reminds me of digging in a field and picking a huge wild flower whos stem is too tough to break and accidently uprooting the whole plant.

On my skin the fresh green root note fades out and turns into something a bit sweeter. That must be the cherry blossoms. it's a well-balanced mix of earthy root, frsh green fields with a light hint of floral. This is a really pretty spring scent but just doesn't stand out enough for me to want a 5ml.

imp: OOO! Compelling! Cherry, tea, and a little bit spicy.

wet:hmmm...interesting...perplexing...not sure what I think yet

dry: I smell the persimmon and the yuzu...I smell floral faintly but it doesn't smell like cherry blossoms it smells more of a perfume-y floral than that. I REALLY smell the tea. The more I wear it, the more the persimmon and yuzu are coming out.

Eventually, however, it becomes yucky-soapy-sour-sweaty-socks-GROSS.

After wearing Samhain for a few days, I was ready for something a bit brighter. Aizen-Myoo definitely fits the bill!

Initially, it's pure yummy grapefruit. Very energizing and the perfect thing to wake me up. On my way to work, I kept getting whiffs of the citrus, but mellower than when I first put it on.

Now, about three hours later, this has mellowed quite a bit. The florals have come out and I can smell just a hint of tea. It's very soft and feminine, without being overpowering floral.

Thumbs up all the way. :P

i like a lot of citrus scents, but this one just isn't doing it for me. it's very crisp and fresh, but i don't generally like that sort of thing. kinda reminds me of hairspray or some kind of zingy detergent. off to the swap pile.

I don't get citrus at all from this. Rather, in the imp it smells like a cross between Cedar and Douglas Fir. It starts out like that on my skin and then turns into the tea isle in my local Asian market. I think, I'm pretty sure, I really like this.

In the Imp: I'm one who smells no grapefruit in this. I smell citrus, but it's not strong at all. Just pleasantly clean and fresh and just a tiny bit sharp. I smell zilch on the tea, either.

Wet: Oooo. I like this one. I can definately agree with whomever said this is like Clinique Happy, only way way way better. It's still slightly sharp, but not unpleasantly so. It's backed by something soft and sweet and clean that really tames it.

Dry: Mmmm. Very soft and pleasant. I don't really smell flowers individually, but I can tell they're there in the soft sweetness. I can still smell just a hint of pleasantly juicy citrus in the very depths of this scent.

I didn't expect to like this scent because it's very not me, but I really do. I probably wouldn't wear it enough to warrant a full bottle, but it's definately something to keep as a change of pace.

Aizen-Myoo is very, very bright and sharp. Very citrus. It makes me think of the brightest oranges and yellows, worn with brilliant diamonds and gems.

It's beautiful, actually.

Oooh, I love this, and I'm usually a citrus-hater. (I didn't read up before ordering to find out what the fruits were, I just ordered it for the tea.) I agree with the reviewer who noticed guava - I smelled something familiar in there, and when I saw her post and took another sniff I knew that was it! I love how the citrus is balanced out by the flowers- it's got a bitter zing but at the same time is soft and delicate. Pure magic.

In the imp, Aizen Myoo is sharp, intense citrus. Like stabbing a grapefruit with a fork and the juice squirting into your eye. I love sharp citrus though, so that doesn't bother me. :P

It only gets stronger when I first put it on. I can smell the yuzu, which is grapefruity, the mikan, which seems similar to tangerine, and eventually the cherry blossom. It almost smells peppery.

After a few minutes, the citrus softens, and absorbs the cherry blossom. I think that the cherry blossom is still there, but it blends with the citrus (which is now more palatable.)

If my first test was accurate, this dries to a soft, gentle tea scent with a slight hint of citrus: incredibly wearable, gentle and sophisticated.

I could see myself getting a big bottle of this.

Aizen-Myoo starts out like the bitterest sharpest thing I've smelled out of the lab. Kuzu must smell like grapefruit because this smells exactly like when you peel a grapefruit and the mist droplets come out of the peel....just a little bit *greener* though. It's a lively smell, but I'm not sure where or when I would want to smell like this. Later on this sharpness fades, and a more candy-like sweetness comes forward. There is something a little stale about it now, and I think that's the tea turning on me. I don't think I have a problem with cherry blossom, and that combined with the mikan (someone said that's a kind of orange) might be contributing the candy sweetness. Without the staleness that it makes on my skin, this would be nice and fresh, but maybe too sweet for me. And even later, the staleness or dustiness, whatever it is, does fade and it's more like a candy smell now.

Interesting scent, not what I was expecting. It makes me think of the face Homer Simpson makes when he tastes the sourest candy in the world, and the whole bottom half of his face puckers up. I wish I could find a pic of that, because it sums up the first bitter stage of Aizen-Myoo perfectly. :P

Edited by Forspecial Plate