Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Ultraviolet

Electrifying, mechanized and chilly -- the scent of crushed blooms strewn on cold metal. Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

Hm, this is a dilemma.

Imp: eucalyptus, very strong and nice

Wet: CAT PEE! Eeeeeek yuck yuck

20 minutes later: VOILET! mmm yum yum. It's definitely earning its name with a steroidal burst of power-violet, pure and hyperactive.

So...what do I do? I LOVE this once the cat pee has faded, but that first 20 minutes are very nasty.

This reminds me of pluto for some reason (NOT the bpal scent). The violet is lovely, but there is a shiny slice of floral mint (not a regular mint). Kind of cold, so it's great on a summer night. When I wore it, it smelled like this but every once in awhile I would catch a light eucaplytus smell.

This scent is PERFECT when it's wet. Sharp and edgy and cold from the mint and eucalyptus, with subtle undercurrents of violet.

The edginess goes away when it dries, and ends up being pretty much just violets. I can't decide what I think of it. I think I want to try it again before I decide. I'm also not sure it's ideal for fall ... it strikes me as something good to wear in the summertime.

At first whiff I get a really nice spearmint... after the initial drydown however it's perverted by the Vick's Vaporub eucalyptus of doom. >_< Now it's like a war between yummy chewing gum and thinking I"m going to hork from the overpowering eucalyptus.... :P

Edited by PilotKitten

straight sniff from imp is sharp, strong mint and violet :P

once applied the 2 scents mingle and play delightfully with my chemistry...

mint and violet...who woulda thunk other than our lovely creator, mme. moriarty could come up with such a winning combo:wub2:

me likey a lot :D

I and two of my friends tried Ultraviolet this week. (I guess you could say we had a meet-n-sniff, though they were both borrowing my bottles, basically.)

Ultraviolet was the hands-down winner amongst the imps we had. We all loved it. It was different on all three of us. The violets come out fast and stay strong on me, on one of my friends it's more mint and then shifts to violets, and on my third friend, it's more eucalyptus with more of an undercurrent of violet.

I love it but would really like it to stay sharper on me -- the violets get pretty heavy. I'm beginning to think I need a scent locket.

This is from a pretty old imp that I got in swap circa 2004, so you can see how it's aged: pretty well, from previous reviews. =)

At first it was pure mint toothpaste: *strong.* I forgot about it, but then I started getting strong wafts of violet--smells exactly like those violet breath mints. The mint isn't prominent--the nose-clearing chilliness of eucalyptus stays just below the scent of the violet.

Interesting combination...but I'm not a fan of this violet scent.

I gave this a bit of a test-run last Monday because Melbourne had decided to turn on a couple of really rather warm days (36 degrees C, heading towards 96-97 degrees F), and minty-cool would be something welcome.

In the imp, I smell eucalyptus, and mint, and something that makes me think it's the neroli, because it's sweet, and kind of spicy-like.

Wet on skin, the eucalyptus and mint dominate. It smells like what cold should smell like, minty, metallic, sharp.

They don't last long though, because once it's dry, I get a soft sweet floral.

That doesn't last that long either, because it was pretty much gone by lunchtime at work on Monday. Funnily enough, I was quite cold at work - the air conditioning works, and I'm normally someone who takes ages to be warm enough to not have to wear a cardigan or arm warmers or something at work.

I do quite like this though, glad I have an imp to keep me company!

* Edited because I can't type.

Edited by Girl Android

The mint always surprises me in this one!

It passes quickly though, and I'm left with a snuggly baby powder smell. Not in a bad way either. Nice smelling babies! Powder and violets. Very nice!

First on: Gorgeous mint with the violets underneath.

Middle drydown: It's very bitter-smelling herbs. Not eucalyptus exactly, but I guess it's the eucalyptus mxing with one of the other notes and hating my skin chemistry.

Far drydown: Powdery violets. Nice, but not much lasting power.

Frimped, ta Lab!

In the imp: pure spearmint.

Wet: spearmint, with the eucalyptus cavalry riding right behind. There's the hint of something else and violet. I assume something else is neroli.

Drydown: The violet comes out more, but hello, eucalyptus and mint. I can see this coming in handy when I feel head-congested - it's like a prettier Vicks. Oh, wait. Now it's an uneasy mix. It doesn't work nicely for me. Sigh.

MINT. Minty mint. Mint mint.

Straight up mint, like peppermint flavoring or EO or altoids. While the mint never goes away, the violet comes up more again, initially like sweetness. At drydown, it reminds me a lot of mint tea; there is a strong tea/herbal smell.

Wet on skin: metallic mints and eucalyptus. How do they manage to capture the scent of metal?

Dry: a very cool and refreshing herbal/floral scent. It reminds me of minty tea with some lavender and violets thrown in, like one of those Celestial Seasonings teas.

Dry after an hour: more violet than anything else. Very floral, femenine and powdery, but in a good way. I like it, it would be great in spring.

This one is mint, mint, mint in the bottle. Icy, sugary, mouthwatering. White mint, not green mint. At first on my skin, it was all the same; plus it started a big cooling action on my skin. It stayed strong, sweet minty for quite a long time. When it started to dry, eventually the neroli came out first, but still very sweet. Now the weird part is the cooling feeling seemed to even intensify as it dried (maybe because I'm a slatherer and used too much? :P ). It took a little while for violet to show through, but it was beautiful. This one has staying power on me, and morphs slowly. In the end, it is all sweet violets and neroli, no mint.

I love this oil. It makes me just so happy, and reminds me of these toys I had when I was little... Strawberry Shortcakes friend? She had purple hair and smelled like flowers? Am I crazy, or did that doll exist? :D At any rate... I need more than just an imp of this.

Wet: Shockingly strong eucalyptus with a sort of white minty smell drowning in there somewhere. Cold and metallic.

First on: The violets come out to play, but they're mixing with the eucalyptus and mint. The effect is such that the violets don't get so heavy and overhanging as I might have expected of them, and the floral part is toning down the slap-you-in-the-face aspect of the eucalyptus.

Dry: Same as first on -- violets, eucalptus and white mint. This might be a great summertime scent, because it is cold while still being nicely floral, but it's hard to tell in late February! I will have to try it when we get some warmer weather.

i like this, surprisingly. i don't know how often i will reach for it because i'm not too keen on the eucalyptus wet phase...but i have realized lately that i love violet, and so i do love the drydown when the violet starts peeping out.

pleasant and uplifting. i might keep this one around just to sniff.

Wow, that's...something. In a good way.

From the bottle and wet: Mint and eucalyptus. Wake up, good morning! It's like walking to work on a winter morning, with the taste of the cold in your mouth.

Dry: Violets. But not cloying violets, just a soft sweetness, mitigated (I think) by the lingering mint and possibly the neroli.

May get another imp of this. It's a good get-up-and-go scent.

I tried to like this one, but it reminded me too much of diswashing liquid and old lady soap. It also didn't last very long, which was a good thing.

ADDED Aug. 4:

Nope, smells like cleaning fluid to me. Yuck

Imp: This was a frimp courtesy of the Lab, and in the imp it smelled...strange. Not bad, just not what I expected in a perfume.

Wet: Sharp toothpastey smell that made me wince.

Drydown: Thankfully, this mellowed out into a light fragrance I really, really enjoyed. I think it's the violet and the mint; clearly I need to hunt down more mint notes.

In The Bottle: Minty and refreshing.

On Skin: Okay, the eucalyptus is getting overwhelming.

Dry: I had to wash this off. This is the only time I was actually sickened by a BPAL scent. My skin hates this blend, which is really sad, as I liked the description of it.

This is one of the few BPAL blends that have gone very soapy on me. I'm lucky, I guess, that they tend to work.

Like most other reviewers, I get the mint/eucaliptus first, and after a while, it warms up and the violets come and say hello. The problem is that the violets go soapy. So it's:

Stage one: Eucaliptus.

Stage two: five minutes of eucaliptus and violet.

Stage three: an eternity of eucaliptus, with soap on top of it.

Blah. :P

It starts out smelling like coldness and mint and a little bit of eucalyptus. No violet at all or ever. For five minutes or so I smelled just like frozen Thin Mint cookies and it was wonderful. It faded fairly quickly (though probably b/c I still had the aftermath of Persephone on me... see the review), but four hours later I was picking up whiffs of what I believe to be neroli. This does funny, funny changes on me like Jailbait (cherry Blowpops to stereotypical jasmine perfume) does, and it's as much of a winner as Jailbait. My skin eats it enough that a 5ml is going to be necessary.

In the imp: eucalyptus and mint.

Wet: eucalyptus and mint with the tiniest touch of violet

Drydown: The mint's becoming a bit more prominant which suits me. I'm actually liking this more than I thought I would. It's quite a cool scent.

Dry: Wow, I honestly thought I'd hate this, since I don't like eucalyptus and violet often turns soapy on me, plus I am definitely a warm scent person. But I actually kind of like this thanks to the mint. For it's the mint which is by far the dominant scent on me, with some violet underneath. The eucalyptus has almost disappeared and the neroli has never appeared.

30 mins: Mint with violet soap underneath. *sigh* I like violet but it does not like me. However it has told me that I need to check out some more mint blends.

WHOMP MINT

WHOMP EUCALYPTUS

And then a few peeks of violet, but it disappears back into the high, screechy MINTEUCALYPTUS. I almost am tempted to keep this for when I have a cold; it is sharp and sinus-clearing, but sadly I cannot picture ever wearing it as perfume. Perhaps on others it will calm itself down!

First sniff: Mint and more mint!

On: Mint and nothing but mint!

Thirty minutes later: Still minty but softer and a little bit of the eucalyptus is coming through now. It is a refreshing scent to be sure. I wish I could smell the violets but unfortunately my body is only amping the two scents right now. This reminds me more of a snowy winter fragrance! :P